Sign in to follow this  
Mike L

Pre wipe ship battles

I completely disagree with the armor and speed discusion, i've tried using one layer of 2 wood ramps in my brig and it's too much weight for my playstyle.  It will depend on the battle obviously, but in small scale engagements i prefer being faster all day long. Even if being faster doesn't give you an edge in combat (which in my experience it does, even more than having more firepower) you can always disengage and avoid being sunk. 

They are adding now extra levels for the ship in bp shipyards, and two new levelable stats for ships, so i guess it will be a whole new game ship design wise.

19 hours ago, Ducimus said:

yeah thats why we all are building it cus it works so good LOL... it does nothing more than blocking a singel shot and that from a normal canon… any decent cannons will tear it apart in seconds….. this is an old video from january of our brig with stock medium cannons…. now we have legendary or mythic which removes brig decks in a single barrage what u think will happen with ur pretty armour?

go to 1 min and 8 seconds….. if it truly was working dont u think every ship would look like that like the large canon meta ship build is everywhere ? 😄

3 cannons in 1 bay?

5 hours ago, gnihar said:

Armored ships do work indeed, it is just too tedious for me to do manual repairs of 1000 ceilings and roofs. Hats down to a mindset that doesn't think so and has will to do it.

A lot happier solution would be for devs to allow auto-repair of all non-ship parts connected with ship. Because all things tedious==not fun.

And, yes, it is totally irrelevant to me how something looks, the important bit is functionality always. Though, this game looks more like steampunk than some classical pirate game, due to emphasized ability for players to customize ships and armory.

Yeah I do get that. It is not 1000s though hahahah only like 354 or something, as I believe that is around the ship limit. I agree with the auto repair option, that would be nice. I don't mind tedious personally I tend to be a grind player anyway, in all game that have grinds I usually do well. On a personal note I think it is because I used to do a lot of work that involved thinking heavily, when I used to get home I did not want to think anymore, so I liked the mindlessness of just grinding something in a game. Zone out and not think and relax. I did jobs like that for 30 years, so I am kind of "trained" now. I definitely see how others would recoil in horror at doing it though. 

This game totally has steampunk aspects, by intention I think. It is less of a caribean pirates game and more of a pirates themed steampunk/magic game. Just look at the submarine, the weird thing that floats over the kraken,  the fact we have a magic skill tree, the golden age ruins and some of the things there etc etc. So it is not just the ships, its the world they are building. I have a feeling the more time that goes on the more stuff like that we will see.

5 hours ago, znasser said:

I completely disagree with the armor and speed discusion, i've tried using one layer of 2 wood ramps in my brig and it's too much weight for my playstyle.  It will depend on the battle obviously, but in small scale engagements i prefer being faster all day long. Even if being faster doesn't give you an edge in combat (which in my experience it does, even more than having more firepower) you can always disengage and avoid being sunk. 

They are adding now extra levels for the ship in bp shipyards, and two new levelable stats for ships, so i guess it will be a whole new game ship design wise.

The armor definitely works. You will not be that much faster not unless your running 3 speed sails and run really empty (then you will be faster lol). My ship is completely covered and I am not much slower than others. My build is very maneuverable as well, I do not use 3 speed sails. So I can actually turn on a dime. There are more options in building than people think, everyone just copies what they see in videos it seems. I agree speed is an important aspect, perhaps the most important aspect. (I definitely think speed gives you an edge in combat, though there are other factors). it also depends on how comfortable you are with different playstyles and builds. For instance as I said above, I do not do the strong side builds very well. They are effective, half my company just loves them on schooners, but I don't play them well. And I don't like playing them. Also having fast lightly armored (or no armored) harassing ships can be a huge boon if you having a small multi ship engagement. Most people would go for a brig like mine before yours if we were together, allowing me to tank and a ship like yours to just swoop around blasting things. There are roles for most builds, especially if you coordinate builds. Which my company does. We do not just jump in ships and sail off randomly with random ships. We have troop transports, harrassers, tank ships, tackling ships (schooners set up with all bar shot cannons, take out your sails). I think you get the picture.

It will change things up a bit. I had not heard of the levelable stats? what are they? Where did you see this? I would like to check that out. 

3 hours ago, Sneakydude said:

3 cannons in 1 bay?

That is an old exploit, people have been doing it for a while. Grape Shot supposedly made it "much more difficult" to do than before but I have no idea how effective their "fix" was. I never did that so who knows right now. 

46 minutes ago, SIEGEGUN said:

That is an old exploit, people have been doing it for a while. Grape Shot supposedly made it "much more difficult" to do than before but I have no idea how effective their "fix" was. I never did that so who knows right now. 

Ya but if it was in January everyone was doing it. Or was this a newer ship after that update?

48 minutes ago, Sneakydude said:

Ya but if it was in January everyone was doing it. Or was this a newer ship after that update?

I am not sure sneaky, the video is not mine. They tried patching it after a streamer published him doing it on his stream and everyone freaked out hahaha. Though I am sure it was complained about before.  Just found the patch, v. 18.73, "- Improved cannon collision and obstruction check to limit the effectiveness of multiple cannons in gunport." So when ever that was is when they tried changing it. 

I guess its NA servers we are taking about here? Prob our group would be interested in some shipbattles before the wipe, we have 20+ ish just docked. 

The armor works very well, however it is extra weight on your ship, IF you have enough hands to keep planks repaired it might not be as needed, but mostly these one sided cannon build will one shot your deck if you have no armor or at least deck structure, losing your top deck usually causes too many problems to fix.. I would recommend at least do one layer of roof armor with extra roof pieces on your ship to replace, dont worry about repairing them though, after you take damage from a cannon volley, its 2 minutes before you can replace roofs, and 3 minutes before you can repair them. 

Watch out for one sided builds though, they will wreck your top deck and sails.