Varien101

Metal Farming

Lets collect all our known information about this in an attempt to make all our lives easier and to enjoy the game more:

1 sure fire way to get metal:  Roll on the PvE servers because nobody is there. 

Now, lets get serious:

1.  After hours of spawning and searching in the lawless zones - no metal (desert zone and equatorial)

2.  Over 10 hours spent searching a single individual area with claim flags - no metal - I knew there WERE metal spawns there, because I mined it once (desert zone)

3.  Currently the only way to get metal is to mine regular rocks and pray you get enough metal to repair your tools with 2-5 metal earned per metal pick used. 

4.  Claim flags do not (in my experience) prevent wood from spawning, I would ASSUME the same is for rocks or metal spawns. 

5.  My company spent 8 hours killing scorpions to create 2 sets of fur to head north into the freezing tundra.  We literally found 0 metal spawns on the island we explored.

Edited by Varien101
  • Like 1

In the experience of me and my Company, most of the resource spawns might be bugged or otherwise broken in someway.  We too have mined metal ore nodes several times just to suddenly have them never to spawn again.

We recently moved to a new island and when we built up, we started to realize no trees, bushes or rocks were spawning back - some material were in and outside our claim flag area of influence. 

Most of the companies of the island we inhabit seem to be having similar issues. I hope this just a bug and will be fixed soon as the materials to craft some of the later game things is incredibly steep and would take a very long time to complete. 

I would edit this..  but to much time has passed lol. 

Cpt Jat Sparrow just posted this on twitter:

This update should have a resolution in place for harvestables not respawning properly outside of freeports, as well as beds not allowing you to respawn on them if all things check out! But we're still in testing mode, so not confirming anything yet :<

So now we know the game is not working as intended.  Thank christ for that lol. 

• Thanks 1

NOW ON TO MY GUIDE

You can acquire metal from nodes of metal ore!
They're scarce and can be passed over for typical rocks. 
They have a green tint akin to copper rotting into its calcified form, which is a turn of a light to dark hue of vibrant green.
They seem a little larger than your  typical small rock, and medium rock, but not amassing to the size of the large rocks. 
Let me know if you find a large metal node and pic it then post it here please. otherwise its just this.
you can get somewhere around 30 metal per node. 
Metal is heavy, around 68 has me at 138 lbs of force.
It can be mined with a pickaxe. Didn't hit it with my hands myself, I didn't want ruin the metal amounts I would farm. 
Presumably with a metal pickaxe:

• you can make more per node
  • farm faster per node with a metal pickaxe

*This theory not yet tested.

Guide by BornSvg of Kraken's maw.  http://www.twitch.tv/bornsvg

20181225222911_1.jpg

20181225222545_1.jpg

20181225222626_1.jpg

20181225222831_1.jpg

Edited by BornSvg
  • Like 1

Metal pickaxe will net mid 50 to 60 per rock

Edited by Koaxke

Someone found metal veins in the tundra?

After hours or days of searching, I found pure coal... but no metal veins.

i found metal nodes in freeport behind the town up the hill 2 rock netted me 84 metal but they were darkbrown rocks

We've found islands that are abundant with metal, certain islands are abundant with only 1 resource.

I.E. We've found an island with bundles of 4x10 crystal spawn nodes [40 crystal nodes]

We've found an island with bundles of 2x8 tin metal nodes [16 metal nodes]

We've found an island with a temple, and those weird mobs

We've found an island with a natural water source.

No island has everything fit for survival, the game makes you hop between islands and trade within your exploration alliance. Bring a couple boats on your metal expeditions is my recommendation, this game is not solo friendly AT ALL, but it does make it easy for a solo to join any company very easily.

Edited by edthechowderhead

1881734230_AtlasMetalandstuff.thumb.png.5de7e02bb66f4d61ae0f0d6c58a1e6ac.png

So far on one lawless island that I managed to get setup on, I've found the above rocks, along with the normal larger standard rocks (sandstone mostly in this area).

I first saw the Nitre, as it was most visible, then noticed the other types of rocks, and stumbled upon the Metal node. It's possible that they all spawn near each other, so if you see any (the Limestone seems most prevalent), it's worth looking for more.

They all harvest between 50-70 Metal with a metal pick, less so with stone (can't remember and don't want to waste it by testing).

Seem to respawn in the exact same space, and look exactly the same each time.

I get between 80 and 140 per node w a metal axe and I get 60 to 90 w a metal pick 

hope you find better luck guys

On 12/29/2018 at 1:52 AM, PHaRTnONu said:

I get between 80 and 140 per node w a metal axe and I get 60 to 90 w a metal pick 

hope you find better luck guys

Really you got more with an hatchet vs the pick ax ?

I would not have thought that thanks for the tip.

Update: OMG it is now verified you get more using a hatchet then with a pick ax on metal nodes !!!

Edited by Capt Adonis
update