war machine

offline protection

On 3/25/2019 at 7:30 PM, Caine said:

Offline protection = more player like to play that game. Deal with it. U don´t understand ur own community lol. Offline raiding is poison for healthy playerbase.

Offline raiding is really an exaggerated issue. Most players do not purposely raid someone because they are offline, it just so happens that then they are sailing around in their ship and they sight some base that looks easy. Most players are going to want to raid it regardless if someone is home or not. It's fair enough, no wants to sit around waiting for the owner to come back that is boring.

The part with this new mode that many players have an issue with is this "window" feature. You can't give the player base a new server, class it as "PVP" and then only allow for PVP for one third of the day ie the majority of time its PVE. 

That is absolutely not a PVP server. What is even worse is that even if the owner is home and you can see him running around his base, you still can't attack them. Its gone from this flimsy "offline raiding" excuse to full blown protectionist, safe space, can't even raid when the owners are online quasi PVE mode.

No matter how some folks try and spin it this mode is about having less PVP and more PVE on "PVP" servers. That is the bottom line.

Edited by Bullet Force
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Force said:

When they tried the whole ORP thing in ARK initially they let folks set pin codes even though I and others more or less stated on the forum what would happen come release. Then they released it and sure enough everyone was complaining about people using same storage. They eventually fixed it by not allowing pin codes at all which is probably the only real solution but in any case the mode still failed because the whole idea is a dud.

I never played it myself but from what I read of others complaints on the forum due to the offline thing players would strategically log out at the first sign of a fob appearing and as there was a lot of un-raidable bases spammed everywhere on the map lag was pretty bad as was finding a suitable place to build not to mention the resource blocking.

The setup they had on ark i agree was a disaster. I was just replying to someone  that devs could tweak it if they actually wanted to take the time and do it properly but we both agreed that would never happen lol. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Offline raiding is really an exaggerated issue. Most players do not purposely raid someone because they are offline, it just so happens that then they are sailing around in their base and they sight some base they are going to want to raid regardless if someone is home or not. It's fair enough no wants to sit around waiting for the owner to come back that is boring.

The part with this new mode that many players have an issue with is this "window" feature. You can't give the player base a new server, class it as PVP and then only allow for PVP for one third of the day ie majority of time its PVE. 

That is absolutely not a PVP server. What is even worse is that even if the owner is home and you can see him running around his base, you still can't attack them. Its gone from this flimsy "offline raiding" excuse to full blown protectionist, safe space, can't even raid when the owners are online quasi PVE mode.

No matter how some folks try and spin it this mode is about having less PVP and more PVE on "PVP" servers. That is the bottom line.

What you described above is player versus structure. Also mention raid and base far too frequently, your in the wrong game pal. Also it’s the base not the player that is protected right? You can still attack the player.

5 hours ago, Dosomething said:

What you described above is player versus structure. Also mention raid and base far too frequently, your in the wrong game pal. Also it’s the base not the player that is protected right? You can still attack the player.

Yeah @Bullet Force has missed a few facts to better his spin.

Yes, you can still attack people as far as I can tell. The raid window is to protect your time invested, i.e. your structures. 

The ark crowd only knows and thinks about bases. The entire concept of sailing and pirating people on the open sea is just lost on them.

To the poit where @Bullet Force will say things like its a PvE sever 2/3 a day becuase some 5-10% of the map will at any given point have ORP for structures. Completely forgetting 90% of the server is sea and not protected at all. Also completely ignoring that people will have different windows. And a full omission of lawless squares to boot. 

To the people who say "build better". That might have been possible before walls were nerfed multiple times. Ill never understand why they chose to make raiding sooo much easyier for the attacker, completely agaisnt game logic. Build 8 or 10 walls deep idc. I can be inside your base before you enter REM the way it is now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

To the poit where @Bullet Force will say things like its a PvE sever 2/3 a day becuase some 5-10% of the map will at any given point have ORP for structures. Completely forgetting 90% of the server is sea and not protected at all. Also completely ignoring that people will have different windows. And a full omission of lawless squares to boot. 

Also NA servers with I suppose mostly NA players will have their raid windows when most players are on to defend. So most NA players wanting to raid them will have little trouble finding raidable islands in the afternoon / evenings.

You could play on the EU server so most people can't raid you, but you'd have the problem of finding people to raid yourself.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:39 AM, UDO said:

except they wont and we all know it ...and its still safe place to store items forever with little to no risk ...even as u say if it goes vunerable for 1 hour good luck waiting forever to find the one time the guy logs into his super safe storage ...

Except they probably will do something, that's why they've gone with a war system in which this is impossible to do, with upcoming system everything will be vulnerable for 9 hours every day, that you will probably be able to see pretty easily when visiting their land. 

How are you going to exploit this system? If you can think of a way its important to voice it now. 

Besides even in the current iteration of the game all Freeport tames are banks that only require you render them in once per week.. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, war machine said:

I dont get the whole offline protection on pvp

why.....  the whole idea is to set up your base so its unprofitable to raid it,

Sustainability. Every game maker is ultimately in the business to make a profitable game. 

When you have no rules , 100% pvp all the time with megas you eventualy end up with 2 sides and then 1 side. Those who lost and were devestatingly wiped end up moving on to other games. This type of playstyle makes sense when their are seasons. Nothing wrong with it, super fun and definitly has its place in the gaming world. If this isnt done with seasons this eventually kills off the population of a server.

ORP on the other hand and promotion of small independant tribes creates sustainability. Factions stay small, go back and forth and while there is a tremendous amount of pvp and chaos, no one is ever big enough to take over the entire server. People may get wiped but they can either move or rebuild. that is not as realistic in the first scenario of join us or get zerged.

I also remember the megas crying about getting offlined by solo players as much as anyone else. In the end how many of us log into which servers after wipe will truly show the devs whats popular and what is not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ljbendele said:

Sustainability. Every game maker is ultimately in the business to make a profitable game. 

When you have no rules , 100% pvp all the time with megas you eventualy end up with 2 sides and then 1 side. Those who lost and were devestatingly wiped end up moving on to other games. This type of playstyle makes sense when their are seasons. Nothing wrong with it, super fun and definitly has its place in the gaming world. If this isnt done with seasons this eventually kills off the population of a server.

ORP on the other hand and promotion of small independant tribes creates sustainability. Factions stay small, go back and forth and while there is a tremendous amount of pvp and chaos, no one is ever big enough to take over the entire server. People may get wiped but they can either move or rebuild. that is not as realistic in the first scenario of join us or get zerged.

I also remember the megas crying about getting offlined by solo players as much as anyone else. In the end how many of us log into which servers after wipe will truly show the devs whats popular and what is not.

Not really crying i dont think but concerned that a whole fleet of ships can be easy offlined in no time. Defenses where not enough there for awhile, Explosive barrels, oil jars, flame arrows all that mattered from the start of the game. We had people even exploit into bases. So yes i would be concerned too, because not everyone should have had to deal with that.

the goal or the goal as in how I see it there try to make a living and breathing world. there will be more ships sailing around because the can keep ship longer then then time there online. the more ship sailing around the more pvp so in the long run more pvp.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, Chucksteak said:

90% of the server is sea and not protected at all.

like he said most of the map or the part of the map "the SEA" is the action should be in a sailing game.

also with ppl feeling the mmo part of the game it allow the causal player who only want to pvp and not put in any hard work to make trade deals with the merchant or traders to sell there plunder you know like priates do.

On 4/8/2019 at 7:20 AM, wintericem107 said:

the goal or the goal as in how I see it there try to make a living and breathing world. there will be more ships sailing around because the can keep ship longer then then time there online. the more ship sailing around the more pvp so in the long run more pvp.

like he said most of the map or the part of the map "the SEA" is the action should be in a sailing game.

also with ppl feeling the mmo part of the game it allow the causal player who only want to pvp and not put in any hard work to make trade deals with the merchant or traders to sell there plunder you know like priates do.

There will be less sailing around since there will be less things to do with this new mode. Why bother "exploring" if there is little to gain from it.

I don't know about you but if I spent several hours sailing 10+ tiles from my home base and came across a very rich looking base that was designed by a moron but then discovered that even though I can see the tribe's players moving around in it ie they are much "Online",  that I still can't attack it I would be mightily disappointed.

Edited by Bullet Force

simple blockage them, you know like pirates r know how do. then when raiding time happens raid them. ho wait they might call on the "big" friends (mega compnies) to help well pirates had to look out for the navy so like pirates do  they would scope hide and strike to grab some loot and scoot. wow sounds like a pirate/sailing/living world to me

um there not going to be ebery type of metal on one island so trading different type s to I don't know fight sotd or do treasure map and what not will happen

• Thanks 1

Is this really discussed again, now that we have two servers for both styles? Maybe just wait and see how the numbers on the 2 servers develop to see where the majority really is. And more important in which system more PvP happens which is the only thing that should matter for "true" Pvpers.

Edited by aladinf

In present state, for the "single player" server.  You log off you lose everything.  That's how it goes.  So, for players that are not even level 10.  No way to get started now where to go, no where to store anything.

Edited by Draacco
  • Thanks 1

Now, granted we've been in "1.5" for nearly a week now... But maybe someone can explain. Supposedly, ORP is now in effect. However, I've been offline raided twice. A ship was sunk once. And today, I log on after about 18 hours offline to find myself dead and my stuff taken (well... some of it... they weren't smart enough to get into my cache).

are you in lawless? and the a 9 hour a day in settlement that is pvp so during that time you can be raid but if you our in lawless it still 100 percent pvp all dday

Yeah lot of unanswered questions there.  I have not seen any of this happen yet.  Need more details because ORP has worked in my grid for my company and allies. 

We've had people think it did not work.  This was not the case.  It was due to bugs, people placing shipyard incorrectly, killing sleepers for shits and grins, etc. 

Edited by DocHolliday

15 hours ago, wintericem107 said:

are you in lawless? and the a 9 hour a day in settlement that is pvp so during that time you can be raid but if you our in lawless it still 100 percent pvp all dday

Ah okay. That explains it then. Yes, I was in lawless.

honesty ppl r miss some of the biggest perks about being a settler and not a land owner, first you get the protection and none of the upkeep cost of maintaining the island 2 if you raid or go pirating they cannt look at the map and see were you live animosity as a pirate is the best and  third if you lose stuff in lawless because you r in lawless you lost 100 percent of your stuff rather then 5 to 10 percent that is taxs(which by the way is a lot less then the cost of renting the island any way.