Sign in to follow this  
BaldursThones

My Expirience With ATLAS

I have never played Ark or seen game play of it. I heard about this game from a YouTube channel called Falcore Gaming which does many videos about Sea of Thieves. One of his videos addressed ATLAS and if it would over take Sea of Thieves and potentially make the game inactive. Interested in this new and promising game I decided to follow it and its development.

I liked Sea of Thieves because of the many recent updates and what they offered. I enjoyed meeting new people and bonding with them or defeating them. I played it often but not to often. Although, I felt like the game was empty and repetitive. ATLAS portrayed itself as a game that would offer what I felt was needed to make Sea of Thieves much more playable. The game offered a huge world full of people and places, and many things to do inside of it.

Now lets address my major issue with the game itself: The lack of hints and knowledge on how to play the game. I had finally joined the NA PVP server Krakens Maw, and found myself on a new island known as Diamond Cay. I was reading the hints above, but unfortunately I was not able to read all of it. The hints went by way to quick so I pretty much started the game not knowing how to play at all. This is my major problem, the fact that it is so hard to learn the game and figure out its mechanics. I feel they should make the hints viewable later on to fix this or to let them disappear once u perform certain actions. Not knowing some game mechanics became a major issue later on.

After I had finally made a Stone Pick which took an hour due to lag and the inability to know that wood was rare from trees, I had finally gone to bed. I woke up on my island and saw that I was dead, I died to player. I was confused because I did not know that when you disconnected your player was still in the world sleeping. I decide to deal with it and I spawned in the middle of the ocean. I swam to the island that was closest and began to start over. Luckily there was no more lag, but the whole island was drained of resources, there were no more trees or rocks. I ended up killing myself and spawned in a whole new region, to find myself in the middle of the ocean next to the island I had just been on. I feel the developers should add a way for trees to regrow faster, and rocks to also regenerate much quicker. So you will not find yourself on barren islands like I did. The developers are probably working on the spawning glitch so it is unnecessary to talk about it any more.

At this point I decided to go onto the PvE server. Which proved to be a lot less annoying than the last. I spawned on an island and was able to fetch the resources to make a pic. I started to gather more resources and leveled up even more, but eventually I asked myself- What is my Goal? Unfortunately the island I spawned on had no village so I concluded that my best bet was to sail away on a raft and find a village. I got information from the community on how to make a raft and began to get ready. I realised how repetitive it was to achieve this goal, and how long it took to get one. In total it took 4 hours of mostly running around and grinding to gather the resources needed to get a raft up and running. My friend, who spawned at a village, said he needed 10x less of the materials that I required because he simply spawned at a village. The developers should make it that you require the same amount of materials to build a raft whether you spawn in a village or in the wilderness. They could achieve this by not making you build a dock or by having a universal dock at every island.

In this period I also died a lot. Mostly because of factors I did not know of. I had no idea about the vitamin system, which proved to be the thing that killed me the most. I ate to many berries, or did not eat any fish meat, or was unable to find mints and just ended up dying. Things I did not know were required to survive. And the problem was that when I died, I would spawn on a whole new island in that region. On my first death I stayed on the new island, but eventually died to low vitamin D which I had no idea about how to obtain it at the time. At this point I just kept killing myself until I respawned back on the second island. I had to keep doing this every time I died, about 5 times, and would waste me 15 mins of my time. What I feel is that the developers should instead make you spawn on your starting island to avoid what I was doing. This would mean that in early game, when you are dying the most, you will be able to spawn next to where you died, compared to late game when you will be dying less and dying will be less consequential due to ownership of a house, storing resources. I do not know of any way to set spawn points, so this paragraph may be pointless if there is a way to set your spawn point.

After gathering all the resources to make a dock and raft, I gathered some food and water so I would not die at sea, but my resources ran out fast. I hugely unpredicted how long I would be sailing for and died at sea, where my stuff was irretrievable. I died of loss of water. I was unable to figure out how to fill a water keeper and no one in the community would answer my question so I just went off sailing. I died because of lack of info again, and in the process lost all my stuff. Of course it was my fault for having no water but I did not know how to store it, so I did not have enough. Now I have switched back to PvP and I am starting a new character.

To summarise this, what I feel the developers should improve on are these points:

1)Give more hints and info on how to play the game and let the player access the hints at any time.

2)Add a way for tress and rock to generate quickly but unnoticeably

3)Let the game be fair at the start, whether you spawn in a village or in the wilderness.

4)Let the player respawn on their starting island or in a spawn point-of course the developers are already aware of spawning and server glitches

Although I lost all my stuff, and I am having a tough time getting off my starting island I feel the game will be much more enjoyable later on when I am killing monsters and finding treasure.