Santron1

The never ending time loop and my prediction for this game.

Every MMO/survival MMO that I can remember going back to Alpha/Beta. Pre Launch always goes through the same cycle.

Island of Kesmai ,  Ultima Online(22 years and counting) , Middle-earth Online, Everquest (20 year anniversary just passed March 16, 2019), Asheron's Call ,  Dark Age of Camelot, Never winter night, Everquest 2, EverQuest Online Adventures, Wow,  Guild Wars, Reign of Kings (What a beginning then a heavy splash/Thud ending),  Conan (Coming back to life a little), and literally dozens more I have never been associated with.

You have the developers thinking of a game. Then they design a game. They let people try the game.

1) The game doesn't work the way the player wants it. The designers rethink the game.

2) The developers redesign the game. You have people leaving the game (some very vocal and sound reasoning.) (Some not so vocal but have valid reasoning)

3) Players will write extensive reviews and recommendations on what should be done next.

4) People log back in and check the progress.

5) The people who liked the game the other way get really vocal. The game gets tweaked.

6) One class is no longer balanced so now the developers think of ways to re-balance.

7) The other class gets angry they are not doing as much in comparison.

Repeat  last 7 until actual launch date.

This is a never ending time loop that can not be fixed. This exact post can be re-posted in 20 years with no difference. No two people will every agree to 100 percent content of a game. Some will make it and some will not. I predict this one will last for about 5 years after they actually release it.

Edited by Santron1
Spelling
  • Like 1

Dang can’t believe your life is that boring that you decided to write a book that no one will even read.......

I'll be honest here What makes a game great is when you set rules to make a game free of chore while allowing the chores to be how should i put it a choice to do rather then require to do.   IF they want to see a growth in player get rid of vitamin make the game easier to play and to enjoy not harder.

2 hours ago, Santron1 said:

Every MMO/survival MMO that I can remember going back to Alpha/Beta. Pre Launch always goes through the same cycle.

Island of Kesmai ,  Ultima Online(22 years and counting) , Middle-earth Online, Everquest (20 year anniversary just passed March 16, 2019), Asheron's Call ,  Dark Age of Camelot, Never winter night, Everquest 2, EverQuest Online Adventures, Wow,  Guild Wars, Reign of Kings (What a beginning then a heavy splash/Thud ending),  Conan (Coming back to life a little), and literally dozens more I have never been associated with.

You have the developers thinking of a game. Then they design a game. They let people try the game.

1) The game doesn't work the way the player wants it. The designers rethink the game.

2) The developers redesign the game. You have people leaving the game (some very vocal and sound reasoning.) (Some not so vocal but have valid reasoning)

3) Players will write extensive reviews and recommendations on what should be done next.

4) People log back in and check the progress.

5) The people who liked the game the other way get really vocal. The game gets tweaked.

6) One class is no longer balanced so now the developers think of ways to re-balance.

7) The other class gets angry they are not doing as much in comparison.

Repeat  last 7 until actual launch date.

This is a never ending time loop that can not be fixed. This exact post can be re-posted in 20 years with no difference. No two people will every agree to 100 percent content of a game. Some will make it and some will not. I predict this one will last for about 5 years after they actually release it.

Wow 5 years? Nope

I Remember Star Wars: Galaxies. got into the Beta. I loved the skill system. Had no Idea what the super secret Jedi Progression was going to be. Most of us in the Beta like where the game was going. It was release with the original skill system. Then the first Jedi and the truth of the Jedi Unlock system was revealed. and it was stupid. It was another case of the Devs not listening to the forums, the ideas of the players. It was unbalanced and broken. Then come the new folks who complained that the learning curve was weird and to hard. At this time a skill based system was unusual. all of the new folks wanted the tried an true leveling system, and the were very vocal about it. The folks that liked the system as is didn't have much to say on it as they were actually playing the game.  

So they reworked the Jedi system to more in line with what it should have been, but...

The Vocal Majority wins and they completely overhaul the system to be level based. The players that like the skill system left in droves. Many of us felt blindsided by the whole thing. 

A clear case of the Devs Over reacting to complaints. I saw it again with Atlas. In stead of tweaking their otherwise working system they overhaul it in major ways. They fix problems with a sledge hammer instead a screwdriver.

One other thing I have noticed. Those that like the system are usually quiet and more interested on PLAYING the game. while those that don;t like the system are the most vocal on the forums. To be honest if it I could be playing right now instead of killing time I would probably never even look at these forums, let alone post here. But alas I can't play while at work and I do happen to have some time to kill.

• Like 1

Yep, swg was completely ruined when they changed the skill system.  Apprentice points are the only bad part about the original system(i mean character development,  not the jedi holocron afk grind). 

• Thanks 1

So If I am reading the post title right, by the time the game cycle is finished I will have given the princess a new name, scared my  aggressors into a dumpster and flown off on a Luck Dragon. 

Sounds good!

Edited by Gomez Addams

The good old days of Ultima online and EverQuest. 

Love those times. 

I loved the 1st progression base skill system UO. The early days of real PvP. You needed real skills to PvP.

Then came EverQuest Whit there lvl system. Did not like it at all but the graphics where better.

A MMO life cycle depends on the players and we also players demand a damn lot and even more now a days.  Dev people rush it in thinking the please the players, because that rush it is often not done right and players leave. 

I loved this type of game but maybe I demand to much and need to take a step back and let I evolve and see what it will be.

BTW still hate lvl system. A skill system is much better.

Edited by awakatanka
  • Like 1