Never had to use .bat files with Ark.

I tried following cpjat64 twitch instructions, but they haven't been condensed to a easy to follow guide yet. Downloaded his 1x1 map.

Can my LAN IP work?

I should have said I am running the server on one PC and playing on a different one.

The server appears to fully start, I see the number of cores line in the cmd window.

I just cannot find my server in either Atlas browser or Steam favorites or LAN.

It appears as though we can't connect to an atlas server unless it is connectable from outside the lan.  please correct me it I'm wrong.

I've been running a lan ark server cluster.  servers show up in the lan browser, but not on the unoffical list.  everything works great except survivor transfers at the obelisks.  I'm unable to use port forwarding to an external ip because my home network is on mobile broadband - thus there is no static external ip and SparkNZ (my provider) does not route back to my network.

It appears that with Atlas I will not be able to get this to work at all without first sorting out a static IP with my internet provider.

Appreciate anybody with knowledge of such and whether this is correct.

39 minutes ago, aezephyr said:

It appears as though we can't connect to an atlas server unless it is connectable from outside the lan.  please correct me it I'm wrong.

I've been running a lan ark server cluster.  servers show up in the lan browser, but not on the unoffical list.  everything works great except survivor transfers at the obelisks.  I'm unable to use port forwarding to an external ip because my home network is on mobile broadband - thus there is no static external ip and SparkNZ (my provider) does not route back to my network.

It appears that with Atlas I will not be able to get this to work at all without first sorting out a static IP with my internet provider.

Appreciate anybody with knowledge of such and whether this is correct.

I have been running a LAN Ark server for a while now( ASM is a godsend). Never ever tried to port forward, 0 skill in this area. I also get my internet from  a mobile hotspot thing, so I guess the ip thing will not be static.

I guess if I cannot get this to work, I should just return Atlas. I am really only interested in playing it as a single player game.

Dont expect to run many grids, the server uses alot of memory and CPU, just over 4gig memory per server, need 1 server per grid..
Setting it up wasnt too hard..

Check out the live streams and video's at https://www.twitch.tv/cpjet64

1 hour ago, Wartai said:

Dont expect to run many grids, the server uses alot of memory and CPU, just over 4gig memory per server, need 1 server per grid..
Setting it up wasnt too hard..

Check out the live streams and video's at https://www.twitch.tv/cpjet64

I have a separate server box. I just want to play single player, so I don't need many grids. My server box can easily run a 2x2. But I am thinking more of a 1x3 with the 3rd grid as a rotation map. I think map making looks really fun.

I have watched cpjet64 trying to fast forward through to pick out the steps.

I have the server through SteamCMD.

I have the map editor through github.

I downloaded cpjet64 1x1 map, and bat files.

Use the map editor to update the 1x1 to a new unique ID, server name, and my LAN IP.

Exported all the map files to the server.

Update the bat files with my info.

Started the redis server. Then the Atlas server. They boot up fine.

But I cannot connect from my other computer. I don't see it in my server in the in-game browser. I don't see it in steam servers by IP to favorites or LAN.

For Ark, i use ASM so I have never manually set this stuff up before. I only run LAN. I checked it's the same LAN IP I use to run Ark.

I need confirmation if LAN is even possible. IF it is not, then I should just refund cause I won't be able to play. 

Lynx, you and I are in the same spot.

I'll add, for anyone else reading who might know if there's a way to get this to work, that I can see my server (v6.2) running from the steam View->Servers menu.  From there I can right click to "connect to server" to start the Atlas client.  In a few moments I get a dialog box "Network Failure Message", "Unable to query server info for invite."

Unsure if this is related to a non-fatal gethostbyname failed () message in the startup log:

[2018.12.26-12.18.47:345][  0]ATLAS Version: 6.2 (Rev. 105929)
[2018.12.26-12.18.47:345][  0]PID: 1084
[2018.12.26-12.20.28:845][  0]Primal Game Data Took 100.94 seconds
[2018.12.26-12.20.39:602][  0]SteamSocketsOpenSource: gethostname failed ()
[2018.12.26-12.20.39:602][  0]gethostbyname failed ()
[2018.12.26-12.21.07:175][  0]Network range scales set to: 60 start, 100 end, 0.500000 endscale
[2018.12.26-12.21.08:994][  0]Server: "Test Freeport" has successfully started!

6 minutes ago, aezephyr said:

Lynx, you and I are in the same spot.

So I have my server IP set as LAN IP.

And, you have IP as your public one? 

That's the only difference, right?

Cpjet64 now has a 15 min walkthrough on twitch. And I did all those steps, just with my LAN IP. The only part I didn't mess with was the firewall ports, I didn't think it would matter for trying to get LAN to work.

No, my server ip is 192.168.1.66  (lan ip address).

my network is provided through a wireless broadband (SparkNZ).  The outward facing ip (the one that I would see at a 'what's my ip' google search) changes often and there is no route back to it.  Without first getting a static ip from my provider (something that I may have to do) there's no way I can even do NAT loopback or open ports.  A bit of extra info that's tangential to your question, in case anyone else reading knows of a way to connect to servers strictly within a lan.

Like I mentioned before, we can do it with ARK with the sole exception that cluster transfers of survivors at the obelisk is unable to show anything in the server list.

3 minutes ago, Lynx said:

Cpjet64 now has a 15 min walkthrough on twitch. And I did all those steps, just with my LAN IP. The only part I didn't mess with was the firewall ports, I didn't think it would matter for trying to get LAN to work.

If you have a static external ip (and can route back to it) you should be able to get it to work with port forwarding:

Forward the ports below for UDP and TCP
QUERY PORT    GAME PORT    SEAMLESS PORT    RCON
57561-57594    5761-5794    27000-27008    28000-28008

REDIS-Server (ONLY FORWARD THIS IS YOU ARE HOSTING THE REDIS ON ANOTHER MACHINE)

7 minutes ago, aezephyr said:

If you have a static external ip (and can route back to it) you should be able to get it to work with port forwarding:

I really have no clue on this stuff. I get my internet from a mobile hotspot. I don't even know how to check if it's static, except maybe to restart the computer and check if the ip changes or restart the modem and check if it changes.

Plus I just want to play solo/single player.

10 minutes ago, Sir_Manfred said:

You can configure port forwarding in your router. Go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser 🙂

I will go back and use my external IP and try this port forwarding thing. After work through, in a few hours.

Is there a way to whitelist or password protected the server?

Is anyone here actually able to connect to their own server on a LAN ?  If so, which IP and Port are you connecting through?

I have a very similar setup as the OP here.  A spare computer in my house is running the ATLAS server.  Everything is working fine, anyone can connect from all over the globe.  I just can't connect to it myself from inside the LAN. 

Here's the weird part.  It's a password protected server, which like I said before, works for everyone else in the world.  But when I connect to the query port, it DOES ask me for the password, but then after clicking OK on the password I get that same network failure message. 

I have tried to connect to the following (Only the first one asks me for the server password):

steam://connect/192.168.1.200:37102 (Server IP: Query Port)
steam://connect/192.168.1.200:7852 (Server IP: Game Port)
steam://connect/192.168.1.200:27000 (Server IP: Seamless Port)
steam://connect/74.14.156.199:37102 (WAN IP:Query Port)
steam://connect/74.14.156.199:7852 (WAN IP: Game Port)
steam://connect/74.14.156.199:27000 (WAN IP: Seamless Port)
steam://connect/192.168.1.1:37102 (Router IP: Query Port)
steam://connect/192.168.1.1:7852 (Router IP: Game Port)
steam://connect/192.168.1.1:27000 (Router IP: Seamless Port)

I had this same issue in ARK, until they added the "LAN" option to the client when looking for a server, then BAM my LAN server showed up just fine to me.  I did port forward so my buddies could connect from across the internet.

I was afraid this was going to be an issue with Atlas, since I did not see the "LAN" option in the client server connection options.

4 minutes ago, BigDally said:

I had this same issue in ARK, until they added the "LAN" option to the client when looking for a server, then BAM my LAN server showed up just fine to me.  I did port forward so my buddies could connect from across the internet.

I was afraid this was going to be an issue with Atlas, since I did not see the "LAN" option in the client server connection options.

Steam -> view-> servers. Has LAN section, I can easily find my Ark server there. But not my Atlas server setup the same way.

6 minutes ago, Lynx said:

Steam -> view-> servers. Has LAN section, I can easily find my Ark server there. But not my Atlas server setup the same way.

Yes but that doesn't really have anything to do with Atlas, it's your overall steam list of server IP's that you've created for any LAN game.  BigDally is talking about the drop down box in Atlas where you change your server type, eg. Official / Unofficial, etc.  In Ark there's Official / Unofficial / LAN / Favorites.  Atlas is missing the last two.

Edited by Fervid

Just now, Fervid said:

Yes but that doesn't really have anything to do with Atlas, it's your overall steam list of server IP's that you've created for any LAN game.  BigDally is talking about the drop down box in Atlas where you change your server type, eg. Official / Unofficial, etc.  In Ark there's Official / Unofficial / LAN / Favorites.  Atlas is missing the last two.

So the steam LAN list wouldn't show an Atlas LAN server? Cause that's mostly where I have been looking.

1 minute ago, Lynx said:

So the steam LAN list wouldn't show an Atlas LAN server? Cause that's mostly where I have been looking.

We're saying that there's no way to view your Steam LAN list from inside Atlas.

3 minutes ago, Fervid said:

We're saying that there's no way to view your Steam LAN list from inside Atlas.

I try to view it outside Atlas, just in steam

I tried a lot of things to force Atlas client to connect locally but it seems to fail each time unless SeamlessIP is configured properly, ports correctly forwarded + DMZ on. Server is fine without SeamlessIP working correctly because I could join server through RCON. 
Forcing Atlas client to +connect 127.0.0.1:port will fail each time same as connecting through steam server list unless server is visible from outside. 
Although I found interesting thing that when +connect is skipped and just onlu IP (in batch file) is set Atlas client will load its part of data just as it would try to connect somewhere.

23 minutes ago, mmb said:

unless SeamlessIP is configured properly, ports correctly forwarded + DMZ on.

This is the part I have no clue how to do.

My fault for assuming Atlas would be capable of being run just like Ark. I will give it one more try after work to figure out port forwarding, but if I cannot, I am not going to keep a game I cannot play. I haven't even loaded into the Atlas world yet.

18 minutes ago, Lynx said:

I haven't even loaded into the Atlas world yet.

^ I have 10 hours in game according to Steam and I haven't even gotten passed the server selection screen.. I don't think I even qualify for a refund.. LOL

23 minutes ago, Lynx said:

My fault for assuming Atlas would be capable of being run just like Ark. I will give it one more try after work to figure out port forwarding, but if I cannot, I am not going to keep a game I cannot play. I haven't even loaded into the Atlas world yet.

Atlas server is build in more complex way than ark also giving us more options to create bigger (and more expensive) worlds. Any IT person who like to mess with stuff is more than happy but any regular person need more time to set up own server. Although port forward+DMZ part is as much Atlas as ARK thing (or any other server). There should be mor than enough tutorials how to forward ports. You may also use same ports as in ARK if you already hosted server locally.