Is it possible to create a server without Port forwarding? By using Hamachi and Hamachi Ip for example?

17 minutes ago, micah68ph said:

And now that the server is patched it's crashing with no other changes having been made.  sigh.

Interesting.  After patching this morning, my ServerGrid.json did not have any of the DB connection strings in them anymore so I'm manually adding those back.  It also changed the password in my redis.conf file back to 'foobared' so I had to reset that.  It was working fine when I went to sleep last night so I know I hadn't made any other changes.  I shut down the server, patched via SteamCMD, started back up and started getting errors.

4 hours ago, micah68ph said:

Interesting.  After patching this morning, my ServerGrid.json did not have any of the DB connection strings in them anymore so I'm manually adding those back.  It also changed the password in my redis.conf file back to 'foobared' so I had to reset that.  It was working fine when I went to sleep last night so I know I hadn't made any other changes.  I shut down the server, patched via SteamCMD, started back up and started getting errors.

What happened was they packaged a default redis.conf and servergrid.json file into the update (probably by accident, or with purpose)

4 minutes ago, Teach said:

What happened was they packaged a default redis.conf and servergrid.json file into the update (probably by accident, or with purpose)

Yep.  I ran steamcmd and saw it happen again.   The more you knowwwww!  😃

Edited by micah68ph

On 12/29/2018 at 5:26 PM, Yemesis said:

Is it possible to create a server without Port forwarding? By using Hamachi and Hamachi Ip for example?

Technically, yes. Practically, no.

The server software runs fine, and starts and everything, but it will have no contact. I'm running my setup on ZeroTier, It's basically like Hamachi. Your server will boot and say it is running, but the server software is per today, designed to only allow communication with public facing users. VPNs, LAN, SDN is all seen as a LAN connection and wont work, only giving query failures and timeouts.

If anyone know any way to enable LAN communications and similar, please share!

28 minutes ago, Koto Wolfir said:

If anyone know any way to enable LAN communications and similar, please share!

I gave up. But so far no news on 100% LAN server connections.

11 minutes ago, Lynx said:

I gave up. But so far no news on 100% LAN server connections.

Thank you for the response.

I raised a question myself regarding SDN and LAN server connections.

LAN is a primitive need that should be enabled for absolutely every dedicated server. I don't see why this game should do it any different on this part.

2 hours ago, Koto Wolfir said:

Thank you for the response.

I raised a question myself regarding SDN and LAN server connections.

LAN is a primitive need that should be enabled for absolutely every dedicated server. I don't see why this game should do it any different on this part.

I don't get it either.

When I bought the game, I assumed I could set it up just like Ark. For Ark I use ASM and never tried manually with .bat files. But I use my local LAN IP for Ark and it works just fine. Spent hours trying to get Atlas to work, even tried the port forwarding stuff. But my mobile isp dosen't work for that. So I refunded never getting to play.

17 hours ago, Lynx said:

I don't get it either.

When I bought the game, I assumed I could set it up just like Ark. For Ark I use ASM and never tried manually with .bat files. But I use my local LAN IP for Ark and it works just fine. Spent hours trying to get Atlas to work, even tried the port forwarding stuff. But my mobile isp dosen't work for that. So I refunded never getting to play.

I managed to get on my server yesterday using ZeroTier, which was really weird. I put in my public IP everywhere, no multihome. I did not reference the other IP anywhere. I was able to rejoin again and walk around, but my friends could not say the same. We will be running a new test with Hamachi today.

I've decided to do an experiment and also learn from it. Using ZeroTier and Digital Ocean. I cannot forward my ports, so I will set up a VPS in the cloud that has my "public" IP. I will set up ZeroTier so that it has a good connection with the game server host. This way, I can port forward just like I would if it was a local network, my users will not have to interact with or do anything with their systems (installing vpn clients etc.) I have faith in this turning out successful.

31 minutes ago, Koto Wolfir said:

I've decided to do an experiment and also learn from it. Using ZeroTier and Digital Ocean. I cannot forward my ports, so I will set up a VPS in the cloud that has my "public" IP. I will set up ZeroTier so that it has a good connection with the game server host. This way, I can port forward just like I would if it was a local network, my users will not have to interact with or do anything with their systems (installing vpn clients etc.) I have faith in this turning out successful.

I guess that VPN thing is a monthly fee. Good luck. Networking is definitely not my skillset.

ZeroTier is completely free for networks up to 100 servers. It's more of a Software Defined Network tool than a VPN though. If you need more than a hundred, it's only between 15-30 USD monthly. I currently use them in my datacenter for webhosting, as it encrypts the data and secures communication between the connected servers/computers.

Thank you very much, I really hope it will work! 😄

Edited by Koto Wolfir

On 12/26/2018 at 3:46 AM, Lynx said:

I need confirmation if LAN is even possible. IF it is not, then I should just refund cause I won't be able to play. 

I'm in the same boat. Not only do I only play solo, but there are 4 other people I live with waiting to purchase Atlas IF I can get my server up. However, I've been working on this for at least 6 -8 hours a day for the last 5 days with no luck. I too have ran an ARK server AND an Outlaws server, but not this one.

Guess I'll also request a refund because I can't play either and I'm not throwing away $30.00. And the 4 others I live with ( Wife, son, co-worker and his wife ) won't be buying the game either.  Sad!

I found a nice and easy way to get this to work on a LAN. I hope this help a lot of people as I struggled for a couple days not wanting to set up NAT loopback. 

After setting up the atlas server so your friends can see it. Do the following:

Go to https://www.google.com/search?q=my+ip to get your external IP address

Window Atlas Server Setup:
1.    Go the start or run and type ncpa.cpl. Press enter.
2.    Right click on your network interface card and choose properties. 
3.    Select TCP/IPv4 but DO NOT uncheck it! Click properties again.
             You should see the static IP address you set for your server.  
4.    Click advanced.
             At the top of the dialog box you will see your static IP address. 
5.    Click add and enter your external IP address with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Example 76.54.55.122.
6.    Click add
             It should look like this but with your static and external IP address in place of my example IPs.
7.    Click ok
8.    Click ok
9.    And finally click close

Windows Desktop on sane LAN:
1.    Do steps 1 – 4 * You may want to set up a static IP address for your personal computer. Not sure if this will work with a DHCP address. 
             At the top of the dialog box you will see your static IP address. 
2.    Click add and enter an IP address within the same Subnet.
             Example: 
             Server IP        75.54.55.122 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
             Desktop IP:    75.54.55.123 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
3.    Do Previous steps 7 – 9
4.    Start the game and it should now show up!