Sign in to follow this  
Cantore

The merry Pirate's water base proposal

I've got an idea to build a base in the middle (yes, I'm that crazy) of the ocean. I want to do this for a few reasons:

1. It's something of a trophy to build a base in the ocean.
  2. So I can securely dock my ships right next to my house.
  3. So I won't despawn any land resources
  4. So I won't ever get caught up in any land disputes
  5. So I won't have to worry about wolves, lions, or snakes.

But, I've got an issue... the game currently needs 3 changes for me to be able to build in the middle of the ocean.

1. I need LONG pillars so as to NOT lag the server with 1000s of small ones. I'm talking 4 wall heights each. That means you could probably get away with making a small, medium, large, and XLarge pillar variants for people like me.
  2. I need to be able to anchor in deep water. This can be achieved if I make a subfloor for the anchor to rest on, OR this could be achieved BETTER by making a tie-down point that you can place on your dock that acts as a docking point in deep water. (Basically, once in proximity to a tie-down point, you get an option on  your ship to "Anchor to Dock".
  3. I need to be able to snap a shipyard to stone pillars or stone floors so that I can build ships out there.

So, what say ye devs? Can ye be makin an ol' pirate builder merry with but these few small changes?

• Like 2

They really need a mooring point that you can build on top of foundations/ceilings. Does exactly the same an an anchor on the ground but alongside a jetty.

I have thought about the same thing in making a pirate settlement out in the middle of the water but there are few places where the water is shallow enough. Being able to build with the sub may be an option for this sort of thing as well in being able to place large pillar structures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cantore said:

I've got an idea to build a base in the middle (yes, I'm that crazy) of the ocean. I want to do this for a few reasons:

1. It's something of a trophy to build a base in the ocean.
  2. So I can securely dock my ships right next to my house.
  3. So I won't despawn any land resources
  4. So I won't ever get caught up in any land disputes
  5. So I won't have to worry about wolves, lions, or snakes.

But, I've got an issue... the game currently needs 3 changes for me to be able to build in the middle of the ocean.

1. I need LONG pillars so as to NOT lag the server with 1000s of small ones. I'm talking 4 wall heights each. That means you could probably get away with making a small, medium, large, and XLarge pillar variants for people like me.
  2. I need to be able to anchor in deep water. This can be achieved if I make a subfloor for the anchor to rest on, OR this could be achieved BETTER by making a tie-down point that you can place on your dock that acts as a docking point in deep water. (Basically, once in proximity to a tie-down point, you get an option on  your ship to "Anchor to Dock".
  3. I need to be able to snap a shipyard to stone pillars or stone floors so that I can build ships out there.

So, what say ye devs? Can ye be makin an ol' pirate builder merry with but these few small changes?

The concept has been tried on an unofficial server I've been playing on, would include a screenshot but it was wiped a couple days ago. Think Waterworld with pirate ships scattered around the edges. It wasn't exactly in the ocean but far enough out to appear that way but shallow enough to anchor boats. Whole thing was bloody amazing apart from sleepers/animals constantly sinking through the ceilings. At one point they lost 3 elephants that fell through the world after sinking past 3 ceilings.

Other than that it worked pretty well, just a shame it was built by filthy RP'ers (joking)

But the OP has 3 bloody good ideas, instead we're getting more cosmetics and poor mans Atlantis.

• Like 1

what about the sea storms?

Also, I'm not sure I'd love to see all kinds of bases out in the ocean.  I prefer it as vast, open, free from player clutter which is likely what would happen.  The open seas just wouldn't be quite open anymore.

4 hours ago, merlin66676 said:

cool, idea. did you have any SoTD issues ever?

Initially but only when one was kited into the main compound but the user who did it got banned. Much like official SOTD, they are only dangerous to unanchored ships and its not possible to agro them via melee anymore so your completely safe. Cyclones on the other hand were a bloody nuisance. You'd have to sit in a house and wait it out which doesn't sound bad but seemed like there was 2 - 3 cyclones every hour.

Wish I'd taken a screen shot, looked really good though it did take a long time to render in.

The only problem is that you cannot anchor on building parts.

Our first claim we could build on was shallow enough, but there was no mapping to allow anchoring, except at very specific locations that were right beside a shallow spot to sink your brig if you missed.

I built a large structure of pillars and ceilings under the brig, and could never get an anchor point.

PSA on a related tangent - I found out last night that whales go right through anchored ships and structures built over water.

I don't know if this was changed when they made SOTDs not aggro last month, but we had one swimming and tail slapping right in the middle of our base for about 5 minutes.

I took a fluke to the face, and never felt a thing *flex*.

• Sad 1

BUBBALOEEY ALREADY SEE GOOD THING. MAYBE CHANGE BOUY TO BE SUPPORT YES? THEN YOU CAN LIFT GREAT FLOOR TO MAKE GREAT BASE FOR STASHING THE HEMP!

OH AND NO NEED ANCHOR ALL TIME MAYBE ADD ROPE TO TIE DOWN BOAT THAT MATCH SIZE OF SHIP.

Edited by BUBBALOOEY
BUBBALOOEY STUPID AND FORGOT TO ADD ROPE
  • Like 1

I know right now there is a height restriction on building up from the ocean floor if I remember correctly, I was building a docking area off my shipyards and at the end near the deepest section I wasn’t able to continue because of the height restrictions.  I often thought of a waterworld themed game as well which you would need a little different design or you would have bases all over. Perhaps the only bases that could exist would be npc controlled and you would have to just rent a dock or bed if you wanted to stay there.

I had a water base on the official PvE server. But not a deep water base. Basically, it took probably about 1000 foundations to fill in under water to a point where I could build above the waves. Here's some of my work.. actually was better later on:

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cantore said:

I had a water base on the official PvE server. But not a deep water base. Basically, it took probably about 1000 foundations to fill in under water to a point where I could build above the waves. Here's some of my work.. actually was better later on:

unknown.png

unknown.png

BUBBALOOEY LIKE THIS BASE! HOW MUCH YOU SELL FOR?

On 3/22/2019 at 5:53 AM, BUBBALOOEY said:

BUBBALOOEY LIKE THIS BASE! HOW MUCH YOU SELL FOR?

Sadly, she gone. 😞