Realist

It’s time for a reality check

This is an mmo, not a sandbox. I am sure some want it to be a sandbox but it’s not. You want to argue with me? Cool. Let’s just look at how things are going right now.

i like the more strict rules that are coming forth. I am sorry but if you don’t like it tough. Nobody wants Megas, that part has no discussion because that is very obvious. I believe the rules will get even more strict. If you don’t like that, even better. Those are the people that don’t belong in this mmo to begin with.

raid windows and war declaration is the best thing that happened to this game. Yes you will let them know when you are coming and yes you will do it within a certain window. Good. That is what pvp is.

its time to teach these wannabe pvpers what it is like to actually play pvp. They went unchecked for too long. Time to gear up.

if you are a mega, sure you might win, but you are going to have to actually play the game now. Really couldn’t care of a mega wiped someone after this. If a mega zergs you when you are online and you lose then it is time to deal with it and stop complaining. This is what everyone asked for.

lets see how good these Megas are though lol. Probably not that good since that “mega” guy said that only 10% are actual pvpers. 

Colonies in itself would have been a bad idea. Colonies with a raid window is actually pretty awesome.

kudos to you devs. This was actually a very good decision. The only better one would have been factions, but hey nobody is perfect and I tip my hat to you for this.

P.s. please no complaining about people leaving. Because believe me if you are an old player I think you should leave to make room for a better game. You are the problem.

• Like 1

I’m sailing right now so I have time to chat.   Can’t it be both? By the way, if NA PVE is a Battle Royale, then I think I might be about to win 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gomez Addams said:

I’m sailing right now so I have time to chat.   Can’t it be both? By the way, if NA PVE is a Battle Royale, then I think I might be about to win 😁

Did the sever drop down to 1 person already????

• Haha 2

Your first sentence is inaccurate. This game is a sandbox(vs being a theme park) . Sandbox and mmo aren't mostly exclusive. Have you ever played ultima online,  star wars Galaxies,  or eve online? All sandbox mmos. This one sure as hell isn't a theme park mmo, feels like a sandbox to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sixgun77 said:

Your first sentence is inaccurate. This game is a sandbox(vs being a theme park) . Sandbox and mmo aren't mostly exclusive. Have you ever played ultima online,  star wars Galaxies,  or eve online? All sandbox mmos. This one sure as hell isn't a theme park mmo, feels like a sandbox to me. 

This.

Realist you need to check your understanding of the terms sandbox and theme park. Atlas at present is most definately a sandbox MMO and is most definately not the first.

Edited by boomervoncannon

5 hours ago, Realist said:

This is an mmo, not a sandbox. I am sure some want it to be a sandbox but it’s not. You want to argue with me? Cool. Let’s just look at how things are going right now.

i like the more strict rules that are coming forth. I am sorry but if you don’t like it tough. Nobody wants Megas, that part has no discussion because that is very obvious. I believe the rules will get even more strict. If you don’t like that, even better. Those are the people that don’t belong in this mmo to begin with.

raid windows and war declaration is the best thing that happened to this game. Yes you will let them know when you are coming and yes you will do it within a certain window. Good. That is what pvp is.

its time to teach these wannabe pvpers what it is like to actually play pvp. They went unchecked for too long. Time to gear up.

if you are a mega, sure you might win, but you are going to have to actually play the game now. Really couldn’t care of a mega wiped someone after this. If a mega zergs you when you are online and you lose then it is time to deal with it and stop complaining. This is what everyone asked for.

lets see how good these Megas are though lol. Probably not that good since that “mega” guy said that only 10% are actual pvpers. 

Colonies in itself would have been a bad idea. Colonies with a raid window is actually pretty awesome.

kudos to you devs. This was actually a very good decision. The only better one would have been factions, but hey nobody is perfect and I tip my hat to you for this.

P.s. please no complaining about people leaving. Because believe me if you are an old player I think you should leave to make room for a better game. You are the problem.

You are the one in need if a reality check there champ. For starters this game is very much an open world game sandbox, that is how it was advertised and that is exactly how it plays. Also the devs have already stated there is going to be a hardcore mode without any rules, and hand holding ie true PVP mode. They will also be offering a care bear mode which I am sure you will eagerly take up.

Oh and about those mega tribes yep they will definitely exist even in the PVP Lite server. They will just split up into multiple companies to over come the player limit. Enjoy 🙂

Edited by Bullet Force

35 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

Oh and about those mega tribes yep they will definitely exist even in the PVP Lite server. They will just split up into multiple companies to over come the player limit. Enjoy 🙂

And here is exactly where the player base will truly test ATLAS administration and developers if they are determined to fulfill their vision and zealously enforce those rules.

If the PVP rules and caps will be enforced thoroughly and end up with dev wipe and ban for unlawful teaming, the risk for zerg will outweigh the "reward" (and they surely already plan and hope to stealth dominate the smalltribe server now using their sheer numbers and by attempting to break game rules and circumvent restrictions), then, and only then, we will see healthy Colonies and Empire used as it should be.

In that case, Zerg will be forced to fight another zerg (oh noooo, I know, I know...), because their favorite prey (2-10 people tribes) would be on different place entirely.

I will surely be the one to rat the zerg to to devs about rules breaching, any time I can, while at the same time, playing nicely to the zerg in public.

And if devs would fail to enforce this, that is, if they wouldn't care, then we will see the final fall of ATLAS.

Edited by gnihar

4 hours ago, Sixgun77 said:

Played all of them and the best one in your list was Star Wars Galaxies. Atlas is the first MMO since SWG that is epic on the same level.

At least the Empire server, Colonies is just the next mainstream regulation trash as all of the other games.

This is as "Sandbox" as it can get, the fact that is has more of a cat litter box atm doesnt change that. Im not sure you can call it a MMO at the moment tho. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Talono said:

Played all of them and the best one in your list was Star Wars Galaxies. Atlas is the first MMO since SWG that is epic on the same level.

At least the Empire server, Colonies is just the next mainstream regulation trash as all of the other games.

I still don’t get it, colonies is less ‘slavery’ (what you’ve been bitching hard about in the last month) yet you don’t prefer it over the real slavery mode called empire. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

You are the one in need if a reality check there champ. For starters this game is very much an open world game sandbox, that is how it was advertised and that is exactly how it plays. Also the devs have already stated there is going to be a hardcore mode without any rules, and hand holding ie true PVP mode. They will also be offering a care bear mode which I am sure you will eagerly take up.

There is nothing about this game that is true pvp lol.

like I said before if you suck at real pvp games you come to survival games so you can team up and actually win. 

And no there is nothing hardcore about the game either

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

This.

Realist you need to check your understanding of the terms sandbox and theme park. Atlas at present is most definately a sandbox MMO and is most definately not the first.

Wouldn’t really call it a sandbox or an mmo right now pretty sure you need more than 800 players for it to be an mmo.

and yeah if you look at the lack of content you could come to the co clusion that it is a sandbox

3 hours ago, Grongash said:

This is as "Sandbox" as it can get, the fact that is has more of a cat litter box atm doesnt change that. Im not sure you can call it a MMO at the moment tho. 

its survival sandbox like rust or ark but with focus on sea combat (well atleast that is the vision). atlas is NOT an mmo atm. MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. 150 Players per server IS NOT MASSIVE.

21 minutes ago, TheCoolGuy said:

its survival sandbox like rust or ark but with focus on sea combat (well atleast that is the vision). atlas is NOT an mmo atm. MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. 150 Players per server IS NOT MASSIVE.

MMO is a genre designation like FPS or simulator. The number of players per sever speaks to the game’s success or failure but not whether it is considered an MMO for design and genre purposes, which is the context here.  Atlas is an MMO by virtue of the fact it is designed with massive numbers of players in a same game world in mind. The fact such numbers are not present doesn’t change this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

MMO is a genre designation like FPS or simulator. The number of players per sever speaks to the game’s success or failure but not whether it is considered an MMO for design and genre purposes, which is the context here.  Atlas is an MMO by virtue of the fact it is designed with massive numbers of players in a same game world in mind. The fact such numbers are not present doesn’t change this.

Yeah and thats the point. Atlas cant handle anything that comes even close to be MMO worthy. Not sure it counts to have a massive amount of players that quit.

PVP = Player vs Player

So called "HardCore / No Rules" PVP = CounterStrike with no one on the other team online... 🤣
In Atlas it is basically TowerDefense with the "HardCore PVPer" the stupid Zerg running towards the towers, while the defender has to await the results of his defence design when he comes back online...
"HardCore PVP" in Atlas is "Player Vs Player Made Enviroment", not PVP

That is why players that like real PVP (unlike the "HardCore" crowd-ardice) are either not playing this game or go PVE and play the sandbox that Atlas is.

12 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Yeah and thats the point. Atlas cant handle anything that comes even close to be MMO worthy. Not sure it counts to have a massive amount of players that quit.

Not sure how you can say that’s the point and then make a statement which directly contradicts the point. An FPS game with zero players is still an FPS type game. An MMO with no players is still an MMO, it’s just a failed one.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Not sure how you can say that’s the point and then make a statement which directly contradicts the point. An FPS game with zero players is still an FPS type game. An MMO with no players is still an MMO, it’s just a failed one.

The first one was sarcastic, the second one wasnt. Atlas doesnt support large amounts of players on their servers. Just because the Servers say 150 doesnt mean it can host that amount. They buckle with 20+ or earlier. 20 Players on one part of a map is less than old shooters, hell Doom could do more. So yeah, if the game cant handle a large amount it shouldnt be called an MMO.

My comment is about the technical limitations of Atlas, not the amount of people that play it currently. And if we would go by that we should call Atlas an "up to 4 Players Coop" game anyway.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 1:34 AM, Bullet Force said:

this game is very much an open world game sandbox, that is how it was advertised

I've been trying to find a source for this but have come up empty handed. Where did the developers advertise the game as a sandbox?

On 3/20/2019 at 10:34 PM, Bullet Force said:

I don’t believe mmo and sandbox should even be genres that are compatible. MMO’s have structure. A sandbox doesn’t. 

Which very well may be why they are failing so horribly right now. So no it’s not a sandbox, or atleast it is not advertised that way.

ark was a survival sandbox. Atlas is supposed to be a survival mmo. The thing is atlas can’t figure out what it is and if it doesn’t figure it out soon it will just be a failure and it really won’t matter what genre it was because it won’t be k own for it anyways.

38 minutes ago, Realist said:

I don’t believe mmo and sandbox should even be genres that are compatible. MMO’s have structure. A sandbox doesn’t. 

Which very well may be why they are failing so horribly right now. So no it’s not a sandbox, or atleast it is not advertised that way.

ark was a survival sandbox. Atlas is supposed to be a survival mmo. The thing is atlas can’t figure out what it is and if it doesn’t figure it out soon it will just be a failure and it really won’t matter what genre it was because it won’t be k own for it anyways.

Sorry man but you're demonstrating a lack of understanding of the terms sandbox and theme park here as they are used in reference to MMO's. Saying MMO and sandbox shouldn't be compatible is like saying Honda and Civic shouldn't be compatible. Sandbox is a type of MMO, in contrast to theme park, which is another type of MMO. Theme parks are called theme parks because the interaction with the environment is at least somewhat structured. Players go from ride to ride in a generally linear and structured way (quests, instances, dungeons, etc.). In a theme park MMO, one can sometimes choose the order of which ride to go on, but the rides themselves are on rails and have linear progression. In a sandbox, there is very little linear progression and even the player's choice of what to spend time on is very non directed and nonlinear.

The defining difference is largely the degree to which the player is able to impact the game world around them. In theme park it is to little or no degree. Sandbox to a higher and sometimes much higher degree. So it is inaccurate to say that MMO's have structure and sandboxes don't.  A better way to phrase what you're trying to express would be that theme park MMO's have structure and sandboxes don't. 

If you're not unsure whether this is the way the terms are genearally used, here is a link to a reddit post that outlines and describes the differences:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Sorry man but you're demonstrating a lack of understanding of the terms sandbox and theme park here as they are used in reference to MMO's. Saying MMO and sandbox shouldn't be compatible is like saying Honda and Civic shouldn't be compatible. Sandbox is a type of MMO, in contrast to theme park, which is another type of MMO. Theme parks are called theme parks because the interaction with the environment is at least somewhat structured. Players go from ride to ride in a generally linear and structured way (quests, instances, dungeons, etc.). In a theme park MMO, one can sometimes choose the order of which ride to go on, but the rides themselves are on rails and have linear progression. In a sandbox, there is very little linear progression and even the player's choice of what to spend time on is very non directed and nonlinear.

The defining difference is largely the degree to which the player is able to impact the game world around them. In theme park it is to little or no degree. Sandbox to a higher and sometimes much higher degree. So it is inaccurate to say that MMO's have structure and sandboxes don't.  A better way to phrase what you're trying to express would be that theme park MMO's have structure and sandboxes don't. 

If you're not unsure whether this is the way the terms are genearally used, here is a link to a reddit post that outlines and describes the differences:

I am saying structure is already being implemented. If you think they aren’t going to add quests then you are crazy. Since I was recently shown the lore about atlas there is a storyline behind it(even though it is about stupid aliens again like ark. Don’t worry I will he writing a thread about that as well). Anyways, once the bosses come in it is going to seem pretty linear.

unless world of Warcraft is a sandbox as well because I could just run around killing mobs and just do pvp all the time and never do quests or dungeons or follow the story line. Making it my own sandbox.

i am telling you they can try to call it whatever they want, just because they say it is something doesn’t mean it is especially since they can’t seem to get it right.

where did they say it was a sandbox again? Or is it the forum people that want to call it a sandbox. Either way it is not

8 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I wasn't even addressing what Atlas is or is not. I was addressing your incorrect use of the terms.

Ah ok. Well as long as we know that atlas is not a sandbox then I apologize for using them incorrectly 

3 minutes ago, Realist said:

Ah ok. Well as long as we know that atlas is not a sandbox then I apologize for using them incorrectly 

I would argue that it is more sandbox than theme park. They may put more theme park elements into it going forward, but at the moment it is definately not theme park. There are no linear quests or other hallmarks of theme park MMO's. There are two things that muddy the waters a good bit here. One is how early in Atlas's development cycle we still are, as theme park elements can certainly be added going forward. Another is the fact they are calling Atlas a survival MMO, which is a thing that has never been done before, so it could be argued that Atlas doesn't really fit into any pre existing categories very well. Ultimately what matters most is that what they have attempted to offer has met a decidedly negative response from the gaming community overall. Perhaps the fact the game does not easily fit into traditional genre categories is one of the things people fundamentally don't like about it. I have seen calls on these boards for changes that would make Atlas more theme park oriented, and I have seen calls for changes that would make it more sandbox. Sometimes when you make a thing no one has ever made before, you come up with a new thing people didn't even know they wanted til you made it. Sometimes you come up with a thing nobody wants. 

So far Atlas seems to be the latter rather than the former.