Sign in to follow this  
Bullet Force

The 3 Ship Meta

10 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

So you don't have a problem that a naval game only has really 3 ships to choose from and only 2 choice of weapon?

agree. with the limited types and how the cannon placement works it takes away from the fun that could be had with naval fighting. some sort of capping or recition on cannon placement or even a buff or nuff on speed or whatever would make multiple type of the same weight class easier to design. like higher cannon aloud or more weight even add tanks or dps class ships along with the trader with high carry and speed but low to no cannons would add depth to sailing and ships

On 3/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, Bullet Force said:
  • Stock Schooner: Has current attributes
  • Speed Schooner: 20% more speed. 30% less ship plank health
  • Weight Schooner: 20% more weight. 20% less speed
  • Ranged Schooner: 20% more cannon range. 20% less damage. 
  • Tank Schooner: 20% more plank hp. 20% less speed.
  • Gun Schooner: 20% more damage. 10% less range. 20% less plank hp

You could actually shoehorn something like this suggestion into the current system by leveraging the various woods they already have in game.

Say that any common deck, plank, gunport, or sail made with only one type of wood would have the following effect on the ship (or component).

• Generic Wood or mixed wood - No bonus
  • Agedwood +1% more ship gun range
  • Darkwood +1% more ship gun damage
  • Lightwood +1% higher ship weight limit
  • Softwood +1% higher ship speed
  • Strongwood +20% more component hp
  • Wetwood +1% higher ship turning rate
  • Ironwood +1% more ship hp

Assuming the above % is for small planks, for balance you could probably tweak those numbers down a bit to apply .5% for medium planks/sails/decks made of a single wood, and .25% for large planks/sails/decks (since galleons have about 80 of the above components, but sloops only have about 20 - a ship made entirely of one would be in the 20% ballpark you suggest)

Once you get into blueprints above common, the above bonuses would no longer apply, since presumably good blueprints will offer better specific benefits, and you obviously have to use multiple types of wood anyway.

Without adding any new ships, the whole game would be a customize-o-rama, with alot more variety than we see now, at least under the hood.

Edited by Sleepinator2000
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Ill just fix that for you... 1 type 1 ship.

3 hours ago, Sneakydude said:

Ill just fix that for you... 1 type 1 ship.

Not exactly sure what you are saying, but I thought each wood should offer something unique, and Strongwood and Ironwood both sound like something that is more resistant to damage. If the above rules were in the game, I would be tempted to create two planks for the lower bow out of Strongwood to get an extra boost in hitpoints, even though I would be sacrificing a small percentage of the ship's overall durability.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:58 PM, DocHolliday said:

First rate Ships of the line need to be so costly its like building the Deathstar. 

lmfaooo

On 4/16/2019 at 12:42 AM, Sleepinator2000 said:

You could actually shoehorn something like this suggestion into the current system by leveraging the various woods they already have in game.

Say that any common deck, plank, gunport, or sail made with only one type of wood would have the following effect on the ship (or component).

• Generic Wood or mixed wood - No bonus
  • Agedwood +1% more ship gun range
  • Darkwood +1% more ship gun damage
  • Lightwood +1% higher ship weight limit
  • Softwood +1% higher ship speed
  • Wetwood +1% higher ship turning rate
  • Ironwood +1% more ship hp

Assuming the above % is for small planks, for balance you could probably tweak those numbers down a bit to apply .5% for medium planks/sails/decks made of a single wood, and .25% for large planks/sails/decks (since galleons have about 80 of the above components, but sloops only have about 20 - a ship made entirely of one would be in the 20% ballpark you suggest)

Once you get into blueprints above common, the above bonuses would no longer apply, since presumably good blueprints will offer better specific benefits, and you obviously have to use multiple types of wood anyway.

Without adding any new ships, the whole game would be a customize-o-rama, with alot more variety than we see now, at least under the hood.

I like that Idea because you can apply that to pretty much all materials, stone for example for stone walls adding more hp or resistance for example

6 hours ago, Gönndyr Meergold said:

I like that Idea because you can apply that to pretty much all materials, stone for example for stone walls adding more hp or resistance for example

👍

there should be at least 1 more ship between brig and gally cuz its like brig is 5k more resources than schooner then gally costs the same as about 5 brigs, huge jump in cost with nothing in-between..

I just hope that they focus on naval combat and not make everything about tames like ark, its already pretty tame heavy, ground combat revolves around tames but the biggest problem still is the lag when theres over 100 players on a grid.. the battles just are more work than fun when dealing with that

Expanding on the pirate/ship aspect of this game it will be essential they add more ship types, cannons, functions/features to these ships.  It needs to be greatly expanded to allow for a wide variety of ships and builds.  I'd also like to see some effort put into the textures, coloring, aesthetics etc of these ships.  They look to bland.  Showed my buddies some pics of the ships and they asked me if this was 2005. 

Edited by DocHolliday

It's great to see that 2 months after I made this thread nothing has changed in the slightest. Good work developers underachieving is something worth celebrating.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

It's great to see that 2 months after I made this thread nothing has changed in the slightest. Good work developers underachieving is something worth celebrating.

Its great to see after 2 months of you making this thread your still an ass. Great work on developing your personality, underachieving is worth celebrating.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I know when I want to work with people and affect positive change I make sure I insult them. 

Its the new fad, i thought you would have jumped on board with that too? lol jking... but yes not much use having a constructive argument on this forum.

Would like to see a Clipper, always wanted my own Cutty Sark 🙂    Cant see *&@$ for sails!   Fast boat!   

Cutty-Sark-8e78786.jpg?quality=90&resize

Then I would like to see a -ship of the line- / 'first rate' as a proper house boat.

1512046.jpg?w=640

End game house boat.

Scrap the cannons, plenty of windows for guests.   😄

On 3/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, SIEGEGUN said:

Yes I agree the OP is... well you know. However I actually DO agree on this subject and I think it is definitely worthwhile discussing. I do not have to like the dude or even agree with him on most things to see he has a good point. Plus this is a subject I am really interested in, I joined the forums for mod and server support and ideas, if my server PSU hadn't decided to die while I was building it (new one on the way) I would probably be modding and barely here. I have a list of mods I plan for ships in particular so feedback from others is great from my perspective.

-More ships... cutters, clippers, sloops of war, small brigs, large brigs, carracks, ketch, ship of the line (more? Korean turtleships, junks etc etc)

-More weapons... small cannons, large carronades, medium carronades, small carronades, grappling other ships, (more? we are in a place of magic and some steam punk technology, perhaps different ammo, steam cannons? cursed cannonballs etc etc. </== just throwing out ideas)

-More ship accessories... bow spirits that do something (some small buff of some type, different bow spirits for different small buffs), jib sails, flag masts off the back of your ship (showing your company flag), water pumps for auto bailing (these existed), a ship carpenter takes up a crew space assists in fixing ship (obviously would need to be balanced, requires a carpenters bench and must be mounted there), more plank types (magic enhanced, double thick planks, etc etc obviously would need balancing), steam paddle wheel option, ship oar option (as in galley and galleass)

These are just some ideas, some might be more lame than the others, but I am planning to make a lot of this and then test it on my server then hopefully release. It is a subject that is on my mind. The ships, making them and sailing them and fighting them are my personal favorite thing to do in this game. 

+

Obviously I'm wading into this after only having spent the better part of a few days with this game, and buying it solely for the Single Player addition as I'd rather stab myself in the eye than play in ATLAS (or ARK) Official servers...

I've noticed that ranged weapons feel very weak compared to melee weapons - though it's the same in ARK to be fair. And crew members don't seem to like using firearms. I read that pistols would one shot Army of the Damned (and I was ambushed by 8 of them, all higher level, trying to find a treasure). Naturally I fire off my dual pistols at near point-blank range and...nothing. They hit, I saw it react to being hit, but its life bar didn't move. And yet, was able to one hit the same soldier with a sword... 😕 In a game with guns, even pre-20th century ones, why must I be forced to enter melee range to effect the biggest, strongest hits. There's no assault rifles, it's all barrel-loading, single shot weapons...up the damage... After I'm out of loaded guns, I'm heading into melee range against what's left in an engagement anyway...

Back on topic now - I agree that extra weapons and ship types would benefit the game. Corvettes in between Schooners and Brigs, Frigates between Brigs and Galleons, First Rate Ship of the Line after Galleon. Something like that. Carronades could basically be short range but powerful broadside weapons that are fixed and can't be aimed. Now if in SP we could just get the AI to man a fleet of ships so taking on SOTD and defeating the Kraken wasn't such a daunting task...

Come to think of it, there is a FLYING SHIP in the banner at the top of this page... Much more content to come in good time, perhaps... I actually consider ATLAS to be what happened after the events at the end of ARK: Extinction... Mankind regenerates the Earth, enters a Golden Age and then mankind's true nature takes over again and...well, here we are being all piratey... The Kraken? Something Rockwell created. Or maybe even a further mutated Rockwell...

I won't be surprised if we see the addition of something Steampunk-esque eventually, ATLAS's version of Tek basically. I'd be okay with it, to be honest. At least in Single Player.