Sign in to follow this  
Bonquiqui

Less survival aspects more action.

First line of the steam page says,  "From the creators of ARK: Survival Evolved comes ATLAS - a massively multiplayer first-and-third-person fantasy pirate adventure." Currently this game feels more survival focused than fantasy pirate adventure. Atlas description and overall presentation from trailers gives off an action/adventure feel yet it feels more survival focused than ARK. The food, water, vitamin drain levels are truly the problem. Since this game is similar to ARK with its settings changing the drain values to 0.8(or lower) instead of 1.0 would probably help out immensely. Starting off on this game feels more difficult than ARK ever did. Its common for me to lose nearly 50% hp trying to gather wood for my starting pick which begins the cycle of food drain and death. I actually love the concept behind the vitamin system but the values are just too high. They drain or fill far too fast. Over the course of several in game days I could understand having vitamin issues if you eat only berries but currently you're dead before day 2 if you aren't eating correctly.  Summary of all this, please adjust these drain values to focus less on hardcore survival.

I spend like 6 hours just been killed and being dead because of the drinking system and eating system. We don't want to survive, we want to live !

Agreed, the vitamin/food system is a good bit too extensively time consuming. 
 I do understand that later, (through leveling) that one might have an easier time, having access to better information, skills etc. for easier food gain. 
 But as it stands, i would say it is about 2x-3x too fast on depletion. 

Im all for survival aspects being tough, i love that, having to maintain "top form" to do well, is a nice idea. but right now it just feels, like something is off. 
 it feels too tedius, rather than a fun overall "need to eat for top form" kind of thing... 

instead of forcing us to die so rapidly, let us get sickly, slow down our movements, or blurr our vision, while not eating the right stuff, over a good few in game weeks, give us true and proper disease, etc. 
we should be able to eat berries to "survive" albiet with issues like faster waterloss/pooping constantly... 
 Something, but not super rapid vitamin/food loss. 
 dying this rapidly, while eating, is bad a form of this mechanic. 

• Like 1

I agree the system in place currently is way too survival based and completely throws off the MMO feel they are poster childing.

I think Scurvy and Diseases are interesting keynotes that could play into game-play but they should not rule the roost so to speak. Like DIJASON said above "instead of forcing us to die so rapidly, let us get sickly, slow down our movements, or blurr our vision, while not eating the right stuff, over a good few in game weeks, give us true and proper disease, etc. "

MMOs dont have a food system because it takes away from actual game-play and progress, Yes there is cooking in most of them but its PURELY for buffs when it comes to raids or other big ventures that require a little extra boost.

It feels like a lot of the systems in place currently need some revisions or complete reworks.

• Like 1

Edit:  TLDR: make survival intresting less frequent/grindy and don't let Death be the answer to "survival" problems

I would suggest to have the depth to survival to keep it interesting, but reduce the frequency on which we have to take care of stuff.

so for example: reduce the vitamin depletion, rework the debuffs so they don't kill anymore but rather give each a stat debuff and keep debuffs through deaths so you can't chese it by simply killing your character.

Similar with hunger and food:

• reduce depletion rates
  • damage player slower
  • but keep hunger and food rates throughout death
Edited by darkmeadow