Been thinking about something for a while.  WWIIOL: Battleground Europe was a total PvP environment.  The first and still the only true 24/7/365 battlefield.   You have two sides, battling each other.  You had individual squads/clans, guilds, etc..but you chose a side to play for.  There was constant PvP.

Could that work for a game like this?  As you join the game, after a reset, your company owner chooses a side.  The game would need to give us the ability to join a company before joining the world.  So the game looks at the number of people in your company, and tracks this along with other companies, and lone wolves.  When you try to join, it seeks to keep balance by only allowing you to join the side that needs you.  Same for lonewolves.  As a lonewolf, you can't join the overmanned side.

As a balancing mechanism, groups can be given incentives to switch sides, when necessary for the health of the game.  There would be no need for Alliances, as you are automatically Allied with everyone on your side.  This gives the ability for a lot more realistic trading, commerce, and exploration because you have an Alliance to do this with.  You would see commerce literally come alive in this game, with this kind of set up.

This would allow for the use war tokens to be used to attack front line islands.  Each side battles over these islands, seeking to dominate more and more of the world, and strategy becomes a thing, as doing this smartly, can seriously hamper the other side's ability to use BPs, by taking away needed resources, etc., while increasing your side's ability to do so.

This manner of game play has allowed a game with far less beauty, and far less depth, to last for 18 years.  I suggest the Devs contact

Matt "Xoom" Callahan
President and CEO
mcallahan@corneredrats.com

at Cornered Rat Software, to get an idea how this system works.  It might be very useful in this kind of a setting.  Would not work as much in PvE, though PvE could be done in this manner though wealth and trading.  Make better trades, and be more productive, you can buy more islands, or something along those lines.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patrik said:

I would not play. Faction is not open world free for all PvP.

That guy is on record stating that he would like to see more PVE and less PVP on  PVP servers. Its only natural he would come up something as ridiculous as this. He wants to play in a bubble where his feelings can't be hurt.

Edited by Bullet Force

It is definitely an interesting concept, the only thing that would be cool is a way to communicate. I never played the game you are taking this idea from, but I think something that could be nice would be a chat window or something. Something that would give groups a way to coordinated in a faction. So small groups can go in together or just find out where the fighting is.

This would solve some problems people have with the new pvp system. So there could be constant pvp, and those people complaining about being a slave would get what they want. It is not would be what the devs advertised when they first released it but still it could make the game fun and dynamic.  

Edited by J.Nick

1 hour ago, J.Nick said:

It is definitely an interesting concept, the only thing that would be cool is a way to communicate. I never played the game you are taking this idea from, but I think something that could be nice would be a chat window or something. Something that would give groups a way to coordinated in a faction. So small groups can go in together or just find out where the fighting is.

This wood solve some problems people have with the new pvp system. So there could be constant pvp, and those people complaining about being a slave would get what they want. It is not would be what the devs advertised when they first released it but still it could make the game fun and dynamic.  

This was solved in that game.  You had the ability to talk to everyone on your side, just the people who spawned in at the same location as you, just the people attacking the same location, just the people in your Company, etc...  You could also select more than one channel to broadcast on, and you could see the icon representing what channels the other people were broadcasting on.

https://wiki.wwiionline.com/view/Chat

15 hours ago, Patrik said:

I would not play. Faction is not open world free for all PvP.

And neither is this game going to be.  However, this would allow for a lot more, round the clock PvP.  No need for vulnerability windows, etc... 

Cute concept but I guess you've never heard of insiding? It would be very easy to do.

Then there is the issue of what is basically communism. Why should I spend 10 hours building a galleon only to have some slacker from my team drive it into rocks when I go to sleep. No one wants to farm for strangers.

Well the way I see it it is a faction with independent companies. No one likes communism, so a faction is really just a giant allance that people join and work together with.  

On 3/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, Bullet Force said:

Cute concept but I guess you've never heard of insiding? It would be very easy to do.

Then there is the issue of what is basically communism. Why should I spend 10 hours building a galleon only to have some slacker from my team drive it into rocks when I go to sleep. No one wants to farm for strangers.

You would still have companies.  I seem to remember you bragging that you were a pro at keeping insiders out.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:58 AM, Mektashari said:

Pirates vs Redcoats 😉 ?

Pirates could not be one of the factions.  Both sides would were dark gray hats.  Wouldn't be white hats vs black hats.  Would need fictional names for the factions.  You have to be careful not to create an imbalance by making one side more attractive to join.  Both need to be seen as the good guys, or bad guys, depending on what you want to be.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:09 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

You would still have companies.  I seem to remember you bragging that you were a pro at keeping insiders out.

I have never been in a tribe that has been insided while I was a part of it. 

Edited by Bullet Force

10 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

I have never been in a tribe that has been insided while I was a part of it. 

Then you would have nothing to worry about in this system.  You would still have companies.

Didn't i post this awhile ago? yeah seems close to the same.

Good to see an old ww2 online player though.

Needs a new graphics engine.

3 hours ago, Sneakydude said:

Didn't i post this awhile ago? yeah seems close to the same.

Good to see an old ww2 online player though.

Needs a new graphics engine.

Men of War Assault Squad 2 is a very solid WW2 game. It is a hybrid RTS/Third Person strategy game that features tanks, artillery and infantry with realistic armor penetration values. You buy your vehicles and troops with manpower points then must capture flags like Battlefield which generate victory point in order to win. As the game goes on the amount of manpower points you get goes up until it reaches the max for the game and then you don't get anymore after that.

This results in a game where you start off with cheap and weak units and steadily advanced to more expensive ones. The control scheme in that game lets you drive tanks using wasd and rotating the turret using mouse control. Its easily the best semi realistic WW2 RTS game that I have played. Highly recommended if your into WW2 games.

Edited by Bullet Force

I would not like this.  It removes the political aspect and also introduces the simple human response of look these guys have more and are winning so we will join them to.  Every damn PVP game ever with 2 sides deals with this problem, but in this game it would drag it out more and many would quit.  The servers would need constant resets as one side quits playing and/or everyone joins the winning side.  It would be horrendous. 

Edited by DocHolliday