Sign in to follow this  
Devero

Who the heck wants to live as a tenant... Plus a Suggestion...

IRL, I am renting a house.

I cannot add shelves in my garage.

I cannot add a vegetable garden.

I cannot paint the house purple (Assuming I would want to)...

I am a tenant...   My Landlord must be consulted about every mod I think of.  And he gets the final say.

Yet... I change out lightbulbs.

I change air filters

I mow his lawn.

I clean his gutters.

I keep his place orderly...

Being a tenant on an island, where the Landlord can remove (destroy) a taming pen I place because it doesn't suit him...

OK...  vent/off...

Shorelines are the valuable property.  Anywhere a shipyard can be placed.  As many have said.. this game is about sailing.  But you need a home port.  And you want it to be YOURS.

So...  Look at shorelines.

Evaluate where shipyards can be placed and make these Shorelines claimable...  Make each section about 150 yards long...  enough for a small and large shipyard plus room for 2-3 ships to port. 

Limit claims to 1 per person or 3 per company per island.  450 yards of shoreline (3 claims) is enough room to build a monster castle and port.  Limit the number a company can own to something like 20 total...  max of 3 for a single island.  This will give a large company opportunities to set up trade routes on several different islands.

Also, by limiting the number per island, it'll help prevent a company from consuming an entire island.  I, personally, do not like the idea of a person or company controlling an entire island, unless it is a tiny islet with 20 palm trees.

Allow building within 150 yards of the shoreline.  This is your place.

This will allow the interiors of islands to remain free and harvestable.

And it creates several Thousand claim locations.

Edited by Devero
  • Like 5

IMAO so far the idea to separate all islands in to small territories players can claim (1 per person, limited per companies) is best one. Not sure about amount of yards, but I've already brought numbers we (small company) need:

- 6 houses 3x4

- 1 tames paddock (12 x 18)

- 2 shipyards

- 2 piers along shipyards.

- Small spot for farm.

- 1 3x4 tame trap with slopes.

- And foundation paths connecting all of that (2-3 foundations wide).

------------------

With our first base we also built a lighthouse. It's 16x16 itself (we surrounded it with 18x18 foundations and walls square). But right now I see - lighthouses are useless. You see shoreline with landscape long before lighthouse appears (so you know where to set your sails) and yet it useless in foggy weather. So it's just monstrous cosmetic feature. We won't probably build one after a wipe. Unless some smaller wooden one appears...

(I mean really! It doesn't have to be Eiffel Tower size!)

d23c7b5aecad3dae8508ce5e002ebd4b--lighth

So it's not that big. Even with all mistakes we built our base - it's not that big. And without lighthouse and with shipyards closer to houses part - it would be more compact.

7UxYBJF.jpg

And what's the best with this idea - is if there will be a companies with their small territories along shoreline there will be way more villages and castles around. PPL won't need to create monstrous gate-walls and ppl won't be hostage to foundation spam situation.

---------------------

Unfortunatelly - introducing this claim system would require ALOT of DEVs work, and I'm not sure if they will be able to do it till "late march patch". (If they delay it, to introduce this system and make it work - I'll gladly wait).

Love the screenshots!

So as long as you have a bit of SHORELINE, people can manage.  Enough space for the items you listed.

I think the Devs could actually Locate Fixed Claim flag locations that will enable this type of concept.  Place a flag and the plot is yours.  I also do not see a need for a 10 minute timer.  Simply place a hard, LOW limit on how many flags a person or company can place.  1 per person.  20 (max) for large companies.  If each claim has 150 yards of shoreline, you can build an adequate base.  If a shoreline is rugged, then make it a bit large so that structures could be built.   I love building on insane slopes. 

As long as the claim can host 2 shipyards and room to dock 2-3 ships.  Then it is sufficient.

If a company grows, then find a place on another island.  Island-hop.  

This would allow the interior, resource-rich areas remain available for people to use.

Edited by Devero
  • Like 2

Both the Op and George talk about medium sized bases on the shore, and from the language of their posts seem considerate so would not block either access or spawns.

Any one that want's to be landlords and would not allow either of these people to build on their island, please comment with why.

As someone that is looking to own land myself, I would love either of you to build on any island I had and help contribute to the upkeep of the island. if I had a notification that George had been building, I would come see just because his other builds were so good. ( Landlord advantage if they have good PVE builders - notifications of improvements. Just thought of that)

• Like 1

Depending on how expensive the upkeep for an island ends up being, land owners may find that they’re the ones doing most of the work.

If there are taxes, the land owner has to balance maintenance with keeping the settlers satisfied. Setting taxes too high makes the upkeep easier, but then settlers are more likely to move on after building a ship, or harvesting resources at a nearby island with lower taxes.

Land owners will also be responsible for patrolling the island to clear out any structures that negatively impact the island. What causes a negative impact is at their discretion, but if they want help paying the upkeep they need to work with the settlers.

I also decided to change how I refer to each party. Instead of landlords and tenants, land owners and settlers seems more fitting. Landlords and tenants implies some kind of formal, contractual agreement, which I doubt there will be mechanics to support. And some people see the landlord/tenant relationship in some kind of negative way.

Most already pay taxes, even if you're a claim owner. Somewhere, you are, when you go to another island, etc.  Except a lawless. 

I get that not everyone can have a claim as an arguement against the proposed system.  I don't get why taxes are such a big deal and that's what so many focus on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 8ball said:

Most already pay taxes, even if you're a claim owner. Somewhere, you are, when you go to another island, etc.  Except a lawless. 

I get that not everyone can have a claim as an arguement against the proposed system.  I don't get why taxes are such a big deal and that's what so many focus on.

I don't mind paying taxes, really.  As a LandOwner, in the current system, we had a bank and a good sized area to harvest, so we paid few taxes.  But again..  taxes are not my primary cause for concern.

My main cause for concern is the fact that our LandOwner, at any time, COULD destroy any or all of the buildings we spent time constructing.  We have ZERO say in the matter.

Why in the world would I spend several HUNDRED hours building something...  that isn't mine?  If someone has the authority and power to destroy it... It is not mine.

I understand that people tend to be good folk.

That doesn't preclude the possibility of our "Favorite" Landowner losing his claim to a Not-so-favorite...  

Nothing we build will be considered our own.

The only solution is going to become one of those few hundred lucky LandOwners…  Which we shall become.  Then our Company will have the authority and right to Keep What We Make.

It's going to be a brown-nosing, backstabbing, neighbor ratting out neighbor for a favor type of system in some cases.  Yes... this is worst-case...  But worst case tends to show up more often than we'd like.

Anyway... we'll work with whatever system they release.  Good luck to everyone willing to give it a go.

If you spend hundreds of hours, I think you'll be fine.  The window for the landlord to destroy something will be 12hours, or a bit more, but not days.  At least that's what I last understood unless they've changed it.

I'm hoping tax payers will get something for the taxes we pay.  We'll see when it's released I guess.

Most PvE companies I come in contact with, are not the size to control any island outside of the tiny rock islands.   I personally have no interest in joining a company big enough to own a complete island, nor do I want to be a tennant.   So not really seeing a place to play on PvE.  Unless they are adding of large number of island that are suitable for companies that are 10 or less members and my company one, I will be taking a break from Atlas.

BUBBALOOEY CAN HELP. HIS ISLAND HAVE FREE TRAPS FOR USE AND FREE DOCKS FOR USE AND ONLY TAX YOU 5%. YOU COME YES? BUBBALOOOOOOOEYYYYYYYY!