Zadira

Paints look awful on the buildings! :(

After all the important stuff if figured out, I really hope they will fix the paints so we can paint our houses so they look nice.  I tried every color we have on our wooden walls and it looks like someone tried to draw all over them with chalk. None of them look nice at all. In ark, we could really change up the way our buildings looked so they all didn't look identical. We could make our bases our own.

I know this is not the most important thing to worry about but I do hope they will think about this while they are thinking about the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have to agree. There are definitely more important things to worry about right now, but I can't even count how many dyes I've gone through on building parts just trying to find a color that doesn't look awful. And it's not even the color itself that's awful, just the application of it.

Stone is just as bad as wood. I'm also not sure why they decided that painting a structure white should make it look no different from the base color.

Please, work on the important things in the game and get the foundation working correctly before anything else. However, I think this also shouldn't be super low on the list of priorities either. People love their customization options in MMOs.

• Like 1

I raised this subject a while back though in my case it was in reference to new ships looking like new ships out of the dock not old wrecks

• Like 2

The saddest thing for me is that you CAN NOT paint your ship in white colors. And there it "Forest" green color that simply doesn't work...

But anyway - I found paint useful to make my village appearance a bit better (orange walls, and red roofs).

7UxYBJF.jpg

Unfortunately I never saw any1 would do the same (i mean try to came up with a paint style).

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

I saw this thread and my first thought was “I wonder if anybody else is having trouble with forest green.” I swear I used it a while back and it worked, but maybe not. I guess I’m somewhat glad it’s not just me?

That’s a beautiful looking harbour you’ve built.

I was really disappointed to find that the light colours don’t show up on the ships. I was looking forward to a white ship with green trim.

I haven’t gotten to the point of painting buildings, mostly because it took so long for us to get land to actually build on, so I can’t comment on that.

I’m looking forward to them eventually improving the paints. I don’t think that’s a really big priority at the moment though.

• Like 1

I agree, having just gone through a big painting exercise at my base.  I like the idea that the paints are more of a penetrating stain than a paint though, and wouldn't want to see a whole bunch of bright candy colored crap,  but some of them just don't work at all.  You can't paint either stone or wood black...or white.  Most of the colors just disappear on stone.  I should have taken a screenshot of this, but at my base I set up rows of stone foundations with one stone wall each, and a wooden sign in front of them with the color names on it, and painted each one a different color to see what they'd look like on wood and stone.  (Then I put a sign out front saying "Welcome to Sherwin WIlliams")

I am trying to achieve something like this:

6Jc2NZY.jpg

And so far, I've got this:

zQhYGXG.pngIt's not bad, but it's not right.  The building in the middle (Atlas Mail Delivery - We're going Postal!)TM  is supposed to be a white wood frame buidling.  Meh..

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yeah the paints always look dull on buildings and ships not very vibrant the way paints should be.. at least give us the option to use more than one coat so we can at least get the actual color to show.......

• Like 2

Oh one more issue about paint : ) With anarchy I made a pink Galley. Then I hired 32 crew for sails and guns. Then I crafted 32 hide boots, gloves, pants, waist and head for my crew (because I care about npcs and as far as they have to be on duty in Tundra, they need to wear something warmer then pajamas and bandana. I know it sound weird because they not affected by temperature but that's the way I choice to play, you not blame me for that : )) Anyway I then decided to paint their uniform in red-pink to match ship color...

And I had to buy 160 red dyes. And 320 pink dyes. And then I had to apply each single dye to each single peace of clothes. 480 clicks on paint bottles. 480 applies to different "regions" in clothes menu. 480 clicks apply. Several miss-clicks. Buy several more dyes. After first 20 minutes of clicking I started to regret that. I started to feel SotD's circles serves more purpose than I do right now : )))

What I'm saying - some instrument allowing to paint crafts in the moment of creation would be gr8 : ))

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Opacity settings would be nice. 

Or at least the ability to apply multiple coats to increase opacity at the cost of more dye. A lot of dyes, such as white and other light colors, are useless on structures.

• Like 2

so its the same as in ark. haha... no white no black and all other colours look shit like not the colour you have painted. so nothing changed.

Just wanna share closer look of wooden foundation and walls painted in ORANGE and stone roofs painted RED:

WpUX6tu.jpg

I found wooden walls painted in WATERCOURSE GREEN looks nice (probably my next village will be that green).

zmr2tdq.jpg

• Like 1

I paint my ships with the watercourse green and brick. It looks pretty nice. I also like cerulian and gold trim.   I just wish we could use more of the paints since we have so many. 
Those buildings are so pretty, George. It inspires me to keep trying to find good combos. 
I really like the red roofs you showed.  Very nice. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 12:09 PM, George Catcher said:

Oh one more issue about paint : ) With anarchy I made a pink Galley. Then I hired 32 crew for sails and guns. Then I crafted 32 hide boots, gloves, pants, waist and head for my crew (because I care about npcs and as far as they have to be on duty in Tundra, they need to wear something warmer then pajamas and bandana. I know it sound weird because they not affected by temperature but that's the way I choice to play, you not blame me for that : )) Anyway I then decided to paint their uniform in red-pink to match ship color...

And I had to buy 160 red dyes. And 320 pink dyes. And then I had to apply each single dye to each single peace of clothes. 480 clicks on paint bottles. 480 applies to different "regions" in clothes menu. 480 clicks apply. Several miss-clicks. Buy several more dyes. After first 20 minutes of clicking I started to regret that. I started to feel SotD's circles serves more purpose than I do right now : )))

What I'm saying - some instrument allowing to paint crafts in the moment of creation would be gr8 : ))

WOULD BE GREAT IDEA  so i could make u a painted sail for your ship....  make the sail and then hand it to u painted 🙂

id open up a shop at a free port  if i could sell sails i would

If THEY  cant fix "black"  they should add a new black call it midnight black,

and make it a real black... right now black is more light grayish  but hey hot pink and purple work so we can all have girl boats

• Like 3

On 3/15/2019 at 8:51 AM, Winter Thorne said:

I agree, having just gone through a big painting exercise at my base.  I like the idea that the paints are more of a penetrating stain than a paint though, and wouldn't want to see a whole bunch of bright candy colored crap,  but some of them just don't work at all.  You can't paint either stone or wood black...or white.  Most of the colors just disappear on stone.  I should have taken a screenshot of this, but at my base I set up rows of stone foundations with one stone wall each, and a wooden sign in front of them with the color names on it, and painted each one a different color to see what they'd look like on wood and stone.  (Then I put a sign out front saying "Welcome to Sherwin WIlliams")

I am trying to achieve something like this:

It's not bad, but it's not right.  The building in the middle (Atlas Mail Delivery - We're going Postal!)TM  is supposed to be a white wood frame buidling.  Meh..

Nice, I work for Sherwin Williams. lol

Edited by Eve BlackVeil
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

This is really a rather irrelevant issue given all the other issues this game has atm. 

Nobody has argued that it should take precedence over more important matters. But just because it's a low-priority issue doesn't mean it's not an issue and shouldn't be discussed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I, for one, am growing tired of hearing the same comments over and over about the "big" issues right now.  This thread is like a little breath of fresh air and I very much appreciate it.  I also agree wholeheartedly with majority of people here.  Make a fresh coat of paint look like a fresh coat of paint!  We tried to make our stone buildings look bright to make a New England coastal town kind of effect, and they ended up looking like an old abandoned watery pastel easter village.

• Like 4

I think the game as a foundation is solid,  It just needs some minor tweeks

paint is one 🙂  no need to get pissy because we are talking about it over an issue u have somewhere else 

• Like 2

One thing that is super disappointing to me is that in the preview window it shows the color going on in full pigment but then after you apply the paint and look at it in game it doesn't hardly show any color at all, or the color doesn't look like the color you thought you were painting. I was trying to paint my ship skeleton white and in the preview it looked super cool, really saturated, then when I applied and looked at it in game it didn't show up at all. It totally changed my design I had worked on, sails and all because white wouldn't show up. I had to completely rethink my design. Which was very frustrating to me. 

Painting in game may sound unimportant to some, but to those of us who are builders, and artist, and creators it is a important to our game play. It is also important to let the devs know if there is something in the game could be done better. It makes their game better, the players happier, and inevitably people will spend more time in the game and recommend the game to others.  

• Like 4

On 3/15/2019 at 12:51 PM, Winter Thorne said:

zQhYGXG.pngIt's not bad, but it's not right.  The building in the middle (Atlas Mail Delivery - We're going Postal!)TM  is supposed to be a white wood frame buidling.  Meh..

haha.. maybe start in a snow biome and not a desert one 😉

White "boats & ships" are usually so because white gel coat is realatively cheap, most older wooden boats n ships were painted, often in quite garish colours.  I'm a fan of portuguese boats, as they tend to be both awfully painted yet have some extremely fine chisel work in them, much like viking ships used to have, but much finer, I'd like to see various patterns like this for stencilling onto boats, esp for bow/stern. As well as bowsprits and figureheads.

As for painting bases, I must be either colourblind or just really awful at picking out colour schemes as noone I've ever met ever liked my paintjobs in Ark or Atlas, with singular except to my flag.  A union jack I made with the ingame paintshop, took me about 3 hours to do.

I hope they do update the entire paint/art system it wasn't very good in ark, infact it often caused significant lag increases on servers, painting large areas was a bad idea.  But for ships and small buildings it should be fine.   I also hope the bring back a pve flag for your company and pennants / flags for ships.  To carry same/similar design.

In Atlas I painted my sloop in blue, gold and brown and it only got sighs and disparaging remarks.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martyn said:

haha.. maybe start in a snow biome and not a desert one 😉

White "boats & ships" are usually because white gel coat is realtively cheap, most older wooden boats n ships were painted, often in quite garish colours.  I'm a fan of portuguese boats, as they tend to be both awfully painted yet have some extremely fine chisel work in them, much like viking ships used to have, but much finer, I'd like to see various patterns like this for stencilling onto boats, esp for bow/stern. As well as bowsprits and figureheads.

I would have liked to start in the tundra!  Didn't work out.  Maybe next time.  That probably wasn't the best photo to show.  The boats are wrapped up for the winter, and many of those "village" buildings aren't what I want.  Condos in ATLAS?  (Shhhh...don't give them any ideas!)

This one's closer:

2TLSS67.jpg

• Like 1

Check my Bullfinch Brig : )) Just Black and red.

x26LVOm.jpg

(The best 10 cannons design I came up btw. One of the most important thing I learned about battle PVE Brig - nothing must be placed in center because most of SotD's cannonballs fly there and you'll just get tired of repairing everything you put in center).

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

That's a good tip on sotd fire, never really thought about it.  I've noticed on a few yt videos that you can also add a sort of armour plating to ships, by building out from them using angled doors, is this particularly useful or is it really just for looks?