Winter Thorne

One week is not enough for the PTR

If the PTR is only meant to find the big technical issues and bugs, one week might do it.  If it's meant to show up any social issues with the design, it's not enough time.  People will have only just got past the rush and started to settle in.

I think the PTR needs to be at least 3 weeks, if not a month.  That's how long it took to really see what was happening with claims the first time around.

• Like 1

I agree, one week is not enough time to see the full impact of the claim changes.

I think the dilemma they’re facing though is do they want to do the full testing on the PTR and delay the wipe for the live servers, or do a quick test on the PTR for any immediate game breaking issues and get it on live ASAP.

I think that announcing the wipe as early as they did is a double-edged sword;  they gave players plenty of notice so that they don’t feel like they’ve wasted time when it happens, but they’ve also given themselves a very firm, if not outright hard deadline on when the patch needs to go live to retain players.

Well I'd the did not mentioned the wipe I would agree. But now that everyone know about the wipe and like me a lot of players do not play till wipe I do not think it is smart to even wait longer.

• Thanks 1

I must contradict : One week is way too long for the PTR, best would be to wipe and restart the live servers today.

If something should be too player friendly devs can patch quickly FOY 2.0 or something to destroy any uprising fun and happyness among the customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PTR running for a week is probably too short, but it depends on what they are looking for out of the PTR. It is likely to be anything critical that would cause problems after the wipe so they'd rather try and squash it before then. Anything else can probably be handled on the live servers after the wipe.

Extending the PTR would be a huge mistake as the time between announcing the wipe and now has been long enough and making it longer is going to do more harm than good. I myself am itching to get back into playing, even trying out the PTR I can't wait.

Much shorter PTR than I would have thought.

Short PTR is probably the result of the game hemorrhaging players.  I can't think of any other good reason for a short PTR.

I was thinking about Atlas future and you know what? E.A. as it was done in Atlas is alpha test. And this test has failed. Absolutely, without any excuses. Isn't it a good moment to stop, give time to developers and then start all over again? I mean shut down official servers, start PTR for 3-6 months with new patch. And maybe then we'll see a brilliant game. Because running official servers for 100ppl online is really a bad idea. For now the game looks like a pirate version of official one. Sad but true. You have to admit it

Normally I would agree. But with only a few hundred players on each official server, I think they need to rush it right to live, ready or not. Then fix it there.

I think going longer with no live servers will hurt more than going to live with bugs. It's not like we are expecting it to get to live and be bugless anyways.

If fact I'd just rename the live servers to "NA PVP Beta" and so on. I would cut down on the level of toxic comments that will start again afterwards if they did.

• Thanks 1

Well they seem to be resistant versus toxic comments. And resistant versus reality.

My question is : Are they running a pvp PTR or pve PTR ? They never really cleared that up and if you read the CL then it looks like the changes they want to test is for the pvp servers. If you really read it everything is directed towards pvp except the little paragraph that is titled PVE, for all we really know none of what we’ve been going on about has anything to do with pve? We may just have claim flags removed and that’s it.

Edited by Daemon Cross
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

My question is : Are they running a pvp PTR or pve PTR ? They never really cleared that up and if you read the CL then it looks like the changes they want to test is for the pvp servers. If you really read it everything is directed towards pvp except the little paragraph that is titled PVE, for all we really know none of what we’ve been going on about has anything to do with pve? We may just have claim flags removed and that’s it.

Good point.

I think if there's a pve PTR, the timeline is going to be a problem either way.  People are concerned that delaying the wipe will drop the numbers more and more, but if the PTR goes live without finding the issues with it, and the players hate it, that could drop the small group of castaways that's left playing too.  (Because if that turns out very badly, it probably means another iteration and another wipe.)  I think it's better to put up with a drop in numbers of people waiting for the wipe, make sure the next update is really going to make everybody happy, then restart and hope the numbers start coming back up.

i gotta say....compared to the issues with outlaws of the old west at mo....atlas is awesome......lol

roll on the wipe imo...or drop that test server now

Edited by hurricane moon

Yeah, just wipe and get it over with. You all see the game is dying way fast since the announcement. Wait, it was already dying prior. But this is the largest decline since the release. Look at steam charts and see for yourself. Wipe.... now... please... or more will leave.

I’ll never leave, they will have drive me away in the backseat with handcuffs to restrain me unless they make the game pvpve, then I’m gone.

Edited by Daemon Cross

1 week should be fine considering the game is Early Access. PTR for one week to see if there are any hiccups or unintended consequences  like lag from pillar spam?  

Yeah no to those sayin rush it out, these will be the same people later saying, "why did they rush it? Shitty devs just trying to cash in on a quick buck. They don't listen".

Agree with the OP, but maybe if they increases rates to like 50x  for the first day or something so people can get to certain point quicker?

One week PTR is enough for identifying the big problems.   The little ones will be addressed in a few months with the next wipe.  Or the wipe after that.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

My question is : Are they running a pvp PTR or pve PTR ?

Jat confirmed that they will have both pve and pvp PTRs

hmmm 6x rates is already extrem if you think about how long it takes to farm a galleon...

really depends on how active/aggressive the devs adjust stuff on the ptr...

27 minutes ago, Gindorf said:

Jat confirmed that they will have both pve and pvp PTRs

Can you show me the link that your seeing this on.

2 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Can you show me the link that your seeing this on.

It was a convo in discord.

For the long term health of the game I completely agree.  Need something like a month minimum to work through bugs/exploits before going live.  The wipe will potentially pull in/bring back players and a good experience would be a plus. 

Of course, I can turn on the "me, me, me", Selfish, I want it Naaaooooooow! Elmo and say something silly like a week is fine ......... it's not.  More time debugging the better.

Unless it’s stated somewhere official then it’s still up in the air, I’ve never seen Jat or Dollie involved with any of the chats I’ve been with.

They should have used that reset and made sure it would be the last one. I would have ratehr waited a month or longer if that would have been it. I dont feel like starting over every few weeks because the developers bit off more than they can chew. Wich seems to be the motto of this game.

1 minute ago, Elmo said:

For the long term health of the game I completely agree.  Need something like a month minimum to work through bugs/exploits before going live.  The wipe will potentially pull in/bring back players and a good experience would be a plus. 

Of course, I can turn on the "me, me, me", Selfish, I want it Naaaooooooow! Elmo and say something silly like a week is fine ......... it's not.  More time debugging the better.

The public test realm would have been a nice thought before opening up to EA, I really always figured EA was a official release with bugs that needed worked out but progress was still possible.  I never dreamed of a wipe occurring, having the PTR prior to the EA release would have solved so many of the issues the wipe is supposed to address.