Sign in to follow this  
Tikar

Collision size of cannons needs further increase?

For those who are not familiar with the current large cannon meta:

20190309100510_1.jpg?width=858&height=48

The issue with this meta is that gunports and medium cannons are kinda obsolete and naval battles are overall nowhere near reality (for some people realism is enjoyable).

I understand ATLAS is a videogame, but in RL to reload a cannon, you had to pull it back to access the front of it (cannons are loaded from the front), thats why you rarely saw stationary (large cannons) on ships. The cannon also had to be accesible from the sides for sailors.

I wonder how would the meta shift if a more realistic reload related collision size would be introduced for cannons. Lets say you could place a cannon only if 1,5x its own size would be unoccupied on each side and behind the cannon. Perhaps also a one deck one cannon weight rule, which would make it unable to stack cannons on top of each other on one deck. If you wanted to have multiple cannons on top of each other, each one would have to be supported by a different ship deck (not a wooden cieling).

I believe such change would not invalidate heavy cannon usage, but gave more incentive to use medium cannons.