Sign in to follow this  
Bandit_Black

Flame Bear Cart Meta Need Changing

The tames are just lame. I like the concept of using them to farm, or ride around, but arming them.....stupid IMO. 

As far as the balance of things, Sea of Thieves did a great job of balance. All weapons of the same type do the same dmg. All fights are won or lost off of skill. Don't get me wrong, the extent to witch this is done in SoT makes the combat go stale after a while, but the weapon types were limited to 4. The balance is perfect for skill. I would personally make BPs offer different appearances far more so than adding anything to stats. this would keep them relevant without disadvantaging those who don't/can't farm as much. The weapons should also be balanced against each other, for example the sniper rifle hits harder than the pistol but reloads 2-3x slower, relative to the dmg differential.

All of this is kinda moot as it is though, they gotta get those hit boxes working better first. 

45 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

The tames are just lame. I like the concept of using them to farm, or ride around, but arming them.....stupid IMO. 

As far as the balance of things, Sea of Thieves did a great job of balance. All weapons of the same type do the same dmg. All fights are won or lost off of skill. Don't get me wrong, the extent to witch this is done in SoT makes the combat go stale after a while, but the weapon types were limited to 4. The balance is perfect for skill. I would personally make BPs offer different appearances far more so than adding anything to stats. this would keep them relevant without disadvantaging those who don't/can't farm as much. The weapons should also be balanced against each other, for example the sniper rifle hits harder than the pistol but reloads 2-3x slower, relative to the dmg differential.

All of this is kinda moot as it is though, they gotta get those hit boxes working better first. 

I agree that whole concept of cannon cart needs to be deleted from the game.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, koulikov said:

The limit is 800 per company

This needs to be changed.  This is the core problem.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:41 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

The game needs to focus more on man vs man PvP, and less on bear vs bear.  I wouldn't cry at all if they allowed one player to control up to 10 crew who go in and mimic what you are doing.  If you are cutting down trees with a pick, they do the same.  If you are wacking fiber with a sickle, they do the same, so long as you keep doing it, they do it.  Allow them to carry a high weight if you set them up to do so.  Not an absurd weight, just high weight.  Allow NPCs to be slotted into specialties.  Gatherers are minimum wage workers.  Fighters are high cost.  So an NPC slotted as a gatherer should be very cheap compared to somebody on a cannon.  NPCs on the sails should be somewhere in between.  NPCs not doing anything should be much cheaper.  1 gold per day.

Elephants shouldn't be meta tree gatherers...they should be Meta load haulers.  Bulls, and horses should be next for load hauling.  Bulls haul more weight but slower, and horses haul less but faster.  Lions, Tigers, Wolves and Bears, should not be Meta Fighters, but could be used to increase your force.  However, fire should be like a cross is to vampires.  Animals rightly fear fire, and thus fire should make them flee.  You should not be able to ride these animals, and they should be more of a defensive tactic than offensive.  They should get a buff when in their own settlement, as this is natural for animals to be more aggressive when defending the home turf.

Weapons of all types should be increased in their ability to do harm.  From swords, to Bows, to Pistols, to Carbines, these should all do more damage, but armor should be better at mitigating that damage.  Get rid of the naked zergs.  One shot with a pistol, and one swipe with a sword should be death to a naked zerg.

Make the game more about skill than time in game.  This means making it easier, through commerce, to get the materials to make high end gear, but also mitigate their impact.  You should still want them, but If I never miss a shot, and the other guy is lucky to hit, he shouldn't be winning a fight simply because he is in a Mega that has all high end stuff.  I shouldn't land 5 shots on him, and he misses 5, and then hit one shot and I am dead.  That takes skill completely out of the equation.

It's a tough thing to balance.  You want to make the game interesting by making abilities diverse, but when taken too far, you risk creating a situation of haves and have nots, and the have nots won't stick around long.  They go find another game to play.  Games must have balance, because people won't play a game where they feel their defeat is hard coded into the game.

what the hell this is genius. Devs listen to this guy. He can save your game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Congo said:

what the hell this is genius. Devs listen to this guy. He can save your game

But they are trying to make Ark 2.0

On 3/15/2019 at 2:50 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Special abilities of each should be:
Bear - Pulls cannons
Lion - pulls riders off their mount
Tigers - Slash to slow movement
Wolf gets pack buff if up to two other wolves are following.  All three get a buff.

Credit to Cpt. Jack Shadow.

This is the way things should be. Damn good ideas brother.

What about horse though?

Edited by Bandit_Black

On 3/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

The game needs to focus more on man vs man PvP, and less on bear vs bear.  I wouldn't cry at all if they allowed one player to control up to 10 crew who go in and mimic what you are doing.  If you are cutting down trees with a pick, they do the same.  If you are wacking fiber with a sickle, they do the same, so long as you keep doing it, they do it.  Allow them to carry a high weight if you set them up to do so.  Not an absurd weight, just high weight.  Allow NPCs to be slotted into specialties.  Gatherers are minimum wage workers.  Fighters are high cost.  So an NPC slotted as a gatherer should be very cheap compared to somebody on a cannon.  NPCs on the sails should be somewhere in between.  NPCs not doing anything should be much cheaper.  1 gold per day.

Elephants shouldn't be meta tree gatherers...they should be Meta load haulers.  Bulls, and horses should be next for load hauling.  Bulls haul more weight but slower, and horses haul less but faster.  Lions, Tigers, Wolves and Bears, should not be Meta Fighters, but could be used to increase your force.  However, fire should be like a cross is to vampires.  Animals rightly fear fire, and thus fire should make them flee.  You should not be able to ride these animals, and they should be more of a defensive tactic than offensive.  They should get a buff when in their own settlement, as this is natural for animals to be more aggressive when defending the home turf.

Weapons of all types should be increased in their ability to do harm.  From swords, to Bows, to Pistols, to Carbines, these should all do more damage, but armor should be better at mitigating that damage.  Get rid of the naked zergs.  One shot with a pistol, and one swipe with a sword should be death to a naked zerg.

Make the game more about skill than time in game.  This means making it easier, through commerce, to get the materials to make high end gear, but also mitigate their impact.  You should still want them, but If I never miss a shot, and the other guy is lucky to hit, he shouldn't be winning a fight simply because he is in a Mega that has all high end stuff.  I shouldn't land 5 shots on him, and he misses 5, and then hit one shot and I am dead.  That takes skill completely out of the equation.

It's a tough thing to balance.  You want to make the game interesting by making abilities diverse, but when taken too far, you risk creating a situation of haves and have nots, and the have nots won't stick around long.  They go find another game to play.  Games must have balance, because people won't play a game where they feel their defeat is hard coded into the game.

I only now stumbled into this, and it is in accord to what I have been thinking as well. Deserves a re-up.

1 hour ago, Bandit_Black said:

Credit to Cpt. Jack Shadow.

This is the way things should be. Damn good ideas brother.

What about horse though?

Might I add to this brilliant suggestion that cannons should not be as they are now, that is, usable while riding.

Instead, they should be deployed from bear or horse carriage and timer added to deploying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That could work.  Bear pulls cart with cannon on it and aims.  Cart then needs to be deployed to anchor it or whatever mechanic you want to call it.  This means it cannot be moved.  Maybe the bear is detached from the cart at that point and can be riden off to slash at some people.  If you wan to move again you have to un-anchor (return to it if you are deteached) it which takes time. It mitigates their effectiveness in open field PvP and puts it more on players and their mounts and not the weapon on the cart behind them.  Cannon/swivel bears will still be very useful, but not as silly as it is now. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

That could work.  Bear pulls cart with cannon on it and aims.  Cart then needs to be deployed to anchor it or whatever mechanic you want to call it.  This means it cannot be moved.  Maybe the bear is detached from the cart at that point and can be riden off to slash at some people.  If you wan to move again you have to un-anchor (return to it if you are deteached) it which takes time. It mitigates their effectiveness in open field PvP and puts it more on players and their mounts and not the weapon on the cart behind them.  Cannon/swivel bears will still be very useful, but not as silly as it is now. 

And Horses might have that deployment time shorter then bears or something, to achieve balance.

I'd be open to horses pulling swivels, would make it more "glass cannon" in a sense. But bears just be to hard to take out as it stand currently making bear carts + flame invincible unless you have bear cart + flame which = the go to meta for land raids.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:18 PM, Bandit_Black said:

I'd be open to horses pulling swivels, would make it more "glass cannon" in a sense. But bears just be to hard to take out as it stand currently making bear carts + flame invincible unless you have bear cart + flame which = the go to meta for land raids.

Can i ask why players are not setting up better defenses in land? you dont have to control the harbor completely. Offset setups and force them into a smaller area. Do the 300 movie!!! joking around but it is true i have seen many twitch raids and most if not all bases i have seen in pvp suck so hardcore. I think ppl just want to pvp and not spend the time defending homes well enough or do not have the time to spend doing so. Flags where a bad thing taking over buildings then destroy them walls. This was the failure of the devs. However it is highly possible companies can not be classified in the same area as strong defenders.

Players got burnt out of farming and Season 1 was too easy.

I agree that the swivel cart is overpowered, however I dont think you should stop there, if you remove the cart, pvp on the ground will only be done with tame riders, lions, tigers, and bears. 

Guns and melee weapons would still be utterly useless, they should just nerf tames to the ground. Reduce their health by ALOT please. 

This wasn't supposed to be ark, please just make it so that tames can be blunderbussed to death. 

Then the cart would be more of a glass cannon/seige only tool anyways. 

I think the pvp would get more interesting if only the mythical tames were good at fighting, and regular tames just help farm, and transport mostly.