zRni

Ship Decay Rates?

wondering about the aggressiveness of ship decay, each panel needs to be fully repaired every 8 hours ish for a schooner this is around 6k of wood, thatch and fibre per repair. We can’t play the game if all we have to do is farm mats, any way to slow this decay down?

considering the ship needs around 20k of each mat to make the upkeep is insane for the price of making it 

Not sure docked boats in your claimed area I believe take less wear and tear damage. I have only had a raft so far. Has 10k HP I logged out at sea for about 20hrs and was down to 6k hp

That's just insane. I keep losing my raft but last night I built my 6th one in a free port and I had it anchored, which I was under the impression when you do that the boat will slowly repair itself, which at the VERY least keep the decay rate a at much lower amount, But nope. I logged off at 3AM EST with a full health raft, Logged back on 6 hours later and it was down to 2k health. LOL!

I can only imagine how people would keep a larger boat up. That's insane. Not only would it be tons of grinding, You could not have a job or be gone longer then a day. And what's the point about putting your boat in a claimed area? People will contest it and steal your boat in a hour and half anyway. This game needs many changes.

I just thought Ark was bad by how much babysitting you needed to do. IE: Log on daily to feed dinos, and every few days to refresh timers but this is a all new high. 

So for 6 hours of farming with a group of 8 people we managed to build a schooner last night finishing at around 5AM on the 25th of Dec, it’s now 14:40PM on the 25th of Dec and the ship has sunk itself from decay having been anchored the entire time. 

In a time span of 10 hours the ship has gone from full health to 0 on every panel. As said above for 50 of each main material one panel can be repaired from half to full, each ship has approx 30 panels. Meaning every 5 hours a team needs to farm 1500 of each material just to keep the ship docked by their base? 

Im assuming there is something wrong here or we’ve done something wrong as this is not sustainable for a pirate game where ships should be able to stay at sea for a span of weeks not 5 fucking hours 

Please anyone info help out and let us know how we’re are supposed to sustain our ship 

Edited by zRni
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Naviss said:

That's just insane. I keep losing my raft but last night I built my 6th one in a free port and I had it anchored, which I was under the impression when you do that the boat will slowly repair itself, which at the VERY least keep the decay rate a at much lower amount, But nope. I logged off at 3AM EST with a full health raft, Logged back on 6 hours later and it was down to 2k health. LOL!

This imo is broken.  No reason to even play if ships and rafts are going to function like this.  I haven’t even built a raft yet after like 5 hours because of various other issues and this makes me not even want to bother.  

Edited by Rickyh24
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rickyh24 said:

This imo is broken.  No reason to even play if ships and rafts are going to function like this.  I haven’t even built a raft yet after like 5 hours because of various other issues and this makes me not even want to bother.  

Completely agree. I feel the same way. I have no urge to fight the game just to find out when I do find some land, It'll be stolen from me on a PVE server, and my boat I may work on for days grinding mats will also be gone before I even have time to wake up the next morning.

I don't understand how they even let this slip by unless it was what they meant to do. But if so they need to put on their steam page that this game is only meant for 500 man Companies that has people online 24/7, and grinding mats 90% of that time.

Never ever minded the grind in Ark, And I wont here either but to lose everything you grind for in the matter of hours? Why bother?

A raft I can easily see lasting 3 real life days. Seems fair, even 2. Fine. But a small ship? Should last 5 days. And those large ships, Brigs / Gal's, They should EASILY last 12 to 14 days, with NORMAL upkeep. Not 10% it's overall resources every few hours lol. 

Was parked right next to the island we built it on lmao

11 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I could see this if you left it parked in open ocean, but anchored in the shallows?  No way.

Edited by zRni

1 minute ago, zRni said:

Meant that as "It would be reasonable if it worked like this if the boat got left in open ocean." Wasn't doubting you, lol.

Just now, Revenant said:

Meant that as "It would be reasonable if it worked like this if the boat got left in open ocean." Wasn't doubting you, lol.

I see, hope the devs see this topic as something needs to be done, its a waste of time building a boat. when the game is meant to be about boats lmao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naviss said:

Completely agree. I feel the same way. I have no urge to fight the game just to find out when I do find some land, It'll be stolen from me on a PVE server, and my boat I may work on for days grinding mats will also be gone before I even have time to wake up the next morning.

I don't understand how they even let this slip by unless it was what they meant to do. But if so they need to put on their steam page that this game is only meant for 500 man Companies that has people online 24/7, and grinding mats 90% of that time.

Never ever minded the grind in Ark, And I wont here either but to lose everything you grind for in the matter of hours? Why bother?

A raft I can easily see lasting 3 real life days. Seems fair, even 2. Fine. But a small ship? Should last 5 days. And those large ships, Brigs / Gal's, They should EASILY last 12 to 14 days, with NORMAL upkeep. Not 10% it's overall resources every few hours lol. 

I won’t be playing much except for an hour here and there to check progress of thecgamd until they completely overhaul this or I can find a solid dedicated that disables ship decay almost totally.  No sense building a raft and putting hours of work into stocking it just for this to happen.  I could not log into ark for a few days and all my stuff would be fine.  I really hope this wasn’t their intention.  Who knows at this point though.  

Rates need to be looked at fast. This is not normal. For the rafts I can understand, simply because players only use it at the beginning and nobody wants raft spam everywhere, but for the bigger ships it needs to be looked at asap. 

• Like 1

I can understand why this might be necessary in freeports specifically, but it shouldn't be like this everywhere.  Solution could be to have accelerated decay only in freeports, countered by paying a docking fee.  Noticing the meta is starting to become "build real ship, park in Freeport forever," so this would help with that, too.

Which parts were actually taking damage for you?  Watched a video of a schooner sinking and it seemed like only the parts below the waterline were taking damage, everything above that was fine.  Also, did you have any ship levels in durability?  And is anyone having this problem with sloops?

It could be that there's an extra zero somewhere in the passive damage that schooner hulls take from the ocean.  

Can you park it at the shipyard and will it still decay? Also, anybody know how long the sloop will last?

So I hear you decay faster at a Freeport. My guess is this is to reduce the lag and keep people from parking their boats in safe zones. Also wondering if maybe anchoring the boat would make it decay slower

Iv lost 2 rafts and cant get off the freeport island because its 4+ hours to get the maps to get off and then if I sleep and log back on 12> hours later its gone.

Not going to play this until they have single player private servers like Ark or fix this shit.

Im about to give a really bad Steam review but will wait a few weeks.  I dont have high hopes for it tho as Wildcard is shit when it comes to balance of things.

Decay rates are insane right now its hard enough building a ship without having a land claim by going to a lawless island and praying for survival but when you finally build it its gone by the time you go to bed.

1 minute ago, Malfunktion said:

I read that if you hire a NPC they repair the ship for you when off line. Like turret mode but repair....

that would be great if there was a realistic way to farm gold coins lol

the overall problem right now that the farming of mats and trying to stay alive at the same time is so bloody high it takes a company of 50+ people 24/7 to maintain one small base and ship. And if you don't have claimed land you basically can not play the game.

Edited by trik

Just now, trik said:

that would be great if there was a realistic way to farm gold coins lol

Yea Havent got that far. Just read it 🙂 passing info