Sign in to follow this  
Ravenx

Can we make ship combat a little more real?

What I mean is back in the age of sail there were no ships that look like what we have in Atlas.  In Atlas we have ships with weird setups of cannons on the front and rear of ships along with weird two story or sometimes more levels of cannons.  You truly take away all naval tactics that were used in the age of sail.  Ships using line formations and trying to break the other ships line are non existent here.  We have literally hundreds of years of naval warfare to draw from.  What we have going on now is just a bunch of reckless and abominations of so called ships sailing around.  The game should be about having good Captains and not eye sores of so called naval ships.

• Like 3

So you want to remove most if not all the options available to customize your ship, in an area where we already have very limited possibilities in the name of realism. 

• Thanks 1

Well, this i a good point. Instead of wasting their time into creating slave empire claim systems they should bring fixed gun positions on ship. These front/back large cannon shotgun ships must be removed.

And these ugly all-cannons-to-one-side-box ships.

Dear devs, just check when the last time a gun port has been built into a ship by a player and maybe some enlightment will come to you.

I said this before for several times.

DEVs should consider to let cannons be placed just in to gunports and introduce top deck gunports and some nose and stern ones as well. And that's it. No more ugly louvers designs, no more shotguns, no more stupid and long kiting tactics vs SotD's etc.

check when the last time a gun port has been built into a ship by a player

Er-r-r-r... I build em. I play PvE and I feel absolutelly fine fighting SotD up to 40lvl with my Brig and just 6 guns in gunports and few more on the top deck. And with new ships buffs things will be even easier (with squads of damned they are also will be harder tho).

Edited by George Catcher

God could you imagine actually having to use a crew to use a big ship... my god that would be a terrible experience to have to use more than 1 person on a ship for pvp.

4 hours ago, Ravenx said:

What I mean is back in the age of sail there were no ships that look like what we have in Atlas.  In Atlas we have ships with weird setups of cannons on the front and rear of ships along with weird two story or sometimes more levels of cannons.  You truly take away all naval tactics that were used in the age of sail.  Ships using line formations and trying to break the other ships line are non existent here.  We have literally hundreds of years of naval warfare to draw from.  What we have going on now is just a bunch of reckless and abominations of so called ships sailing around.  The game should be about having good Captains and not eye sores of so called naval ships.

To be fair, as much as I like the idea of fleet line battles, that was a development of major nations for large engagements. GS was aiming more for a 1500s to 1600s Caribbean feel, where large fleet battles weren't really a thing, and purpose built military broadsider vessels hadn't really been standardized yet. 

I do agree I'd like to see things trend towards more realistic ships, though. 

3 hours ago, znasser said:

So you want to remove most if not all the options available to customize your ship, in an area where we already have very limited possibilities in the name of realism. 

All those so called "options" still lead to a very limited viable set of designs and those designs have negative gameplay effects and are a major part why you see less and less (major) ship battles. So let's not pretend it would be just in the name of "realism", it's in the name of actual fun game mechanics and there is a reason why this game choose the period of piracy because in RL it did offer some nice tactical choices in combat which should be reflected in the game but aren't due to the current (lack of) rules.

Sometimes less freedom can actually lead to better gameplay because too much freedom makes it very hard to balance any game and it's especially hard to prevent unfun game mechanics.

What I don't understand - is why the bigger ships - ie the galleon - are not allowed to have gun ports for the large cannons

3 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

What I don't understand - is why the bigger ships - ie the galleon - are not allowed to have gun ports for the large cannons

Large cannons arne't for ships... they are for Anti-ship Fort defenses...

5 minutes ago, LinkesAuge said:

All those so called "options" still lead to a very limited viable set of designs and those designs have negative gameplay effects and are a major part why you see less and less (major) ship battles. So let's not pretend it would be just in the name of "realism", it's in the name of actual fun game mechanics and there is a reason why this game choose the period of piracy because in RL it did offer some nice tactical choices in combat which should be reflected in the game but aren't due to the current (lack of) rules.

Sometimes less freedom can actually lead to better gameplay because too much freedom makes it very hard to balance any game and it's especially hard to prevent unfun game mechanics.

The fact that there's almost nobody playing the game i'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you see "less and less ship battles". I guess the fact that any major ship battle  was a lagfest with continuous rollbacks and a million bugs, doesn't have anything to do either. Maybe the game has "actual fun mechanics" (i have a blast in the rare ocasions i find someone to fight with, and believe me i spent a lot of time looking) and maybe  you don't have fun because you expected it to be a simulation game and it's not.

Just make them only stick to gunports and make it so we can have 2 front cannons on the schooner, 4 on the brig and 6 in front and the back of the gally. That should help a lot. Also deck cannons like others suggested; but not that many. 

Instead of cannons freely placed on ceilings have them only snap to cannon mounts and only placable in certain areas of a ship. 

3 hours ago, Meerkat said:

Instead of cannons freely placed on ceilings have them only snap to cannon mounts and only placable in certain areas of a ship. 

Exactly.. or follow the suggestion of Percival, this is also good. But stop these 150 guns front shotgun galleons that oneshot everything.

5 hours ago, Bolognapwny said:

Large cannons arne't for ships... they are for Anti-ship Fort defenses...

Not true. A man of war carried varying sizes of cannon. It was possible to have several different types of cannon from small arms (swivel guns) through 12lb - 18lb and up

10 hours ago, Talono said:

Well, this i a good point. Instead of wasting their time into creating slave empire claim systems they should bring fixed gun positions on ship. These front/back large cannon shotgun ships must be removed.

And these ugly all-cannons-to-one-side-box ships.

Dear devs, just check when the last time a gun port has been built into a ship by a player and maybe some enlightment will come to you.

there are pve servers you know where you can snowflake around as you please.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Ravenx said:

What we have going on now is just a bunch of reckless and abominations of so called ships sailing around

What a funny term for creativity. I wonder how many other things in the game are not true to life. Next you will want all prefab houses.

Make the islands the same. I dont like that one.

3 hours ago, AntonyVW said:

Not true. A man of war carried varying sizes of cannon. It was possible to have several different types of cannon from small arms (swivel guns) through 12lb - 18lb and up

Also, since large cannons don't swivel, putting them on forts is utterly stupid.

Honestly, just give cannons a radius around in which they cannot be put (maybe make it so that gunports are exempt). That way you could have your gun ports + 10-20 deck guns but not 13 layers high of deck guns, or 20 fwd facing deck guns.

Edited by gadefence
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Also, since large cannons don't swivel, putting them on forts is utterly stupid.

Honestly, just give cannons a radius around in which they cannot be put (maybe make it so that gunports are exempt). That way you could have your gun ports + 10-20 deck guns but not 13 layers high of deck guns, or 20 fwd facing deck guns.

I thought this was a sandbox game? I say we need more cannons.

9 hours ago, gadefence said:

I agree. Cannons whether land or ship based are manoeuvrable and should be here to.

8 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

I thought this was a sandbox game? I say we need more cannons.

I agree we should have more cannons. This can be achieved by having ships with the correct number of cannons. For instance a brigantine had upto 20 cannon, a galleon 74+

16 hours ago, AntonyVW said:

THESE LARGE CANNONS FOR THIS GAME AREN'T MADE FOR SHIPS... FORGOT IM TALKING TO #$@#$@#$ ARK PLAYERS.

no @#$#@$@# kidding there were like 100 different kinds of cannons all varying in size.... holy #$@#$@.

I was gonna type more but you legit just pissed me off.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:43 AM, Ravenx said:

well, Mary Rose had 2 cannons on the front and 2 on the back, at least.

it was not the prettiest ship tho.

i agree that batterys of cannons on the front or back are supid and on the sides too....

i would remove the possibility to build batterys of cannons on the front, back and sides or on a ceiling. i would testa deck limit per side or ceiling, fixed positions for cannons on deck add 2 gunports max. on the back (maybe 4) and raise brig gunports limit (maybe space for 2 more each side(12 is a joke)). so no more stupid builds and even chances, better captain and crew wins.

Only just for testing out how battles are going...

Edited by photek

It will take away from the game some for customizing your ships the way you see fit, if you can not defend against them, learn a better way. You dont have to engage these ships you know? Plus there is options to cross pattern these ships. If your expecting to win a fight against a legendary ship or better with standard cannons good luck.

3 minutes ago, Sneakydude said:

It will take away from the game some for customizing your ships the way you see fit, if you can not defend against them, learn a better way. You dont have to engage these ships you know? Plus there is options to cross pattern these ships. If your expecting to win a fight against a legendary ship or better with standard cannons good luck.

Completely wrong. We can defend against your dream 100 guns one shot front ugly monster creations....

...by build such a monster creation as well.

The point is that we dont want these ships at all. Try out using the wind as a real sailor for a broadside combat.

Clearly you have to use your brain and tactics to do so.

Not an easy task for teenage one-shot quick gankers without tactical understanding.

• Like 1

I don't think realism equals good gameplay. If you are gonna change game mechanics it should be based on what makes the game better, more balanced or more fun.

1 hour ago, Bolognapwny said:

THESE LARGE CANNONS FOR THIS GAME AREN'T MADE FOR SHIPS... FORGOT IM TALKING TO #$@#$@#$ ARK PLAYERS.

no @#$#@$@# kidding there were like 100 different kinds of cannons all varying in size.... holy #$@#$@.

I was gonna type more but you legit just pissed me off.

For your info Ive never played Ark and didn't not know about it till I started playing Atlas. Ive not bothered to even consider playing it. My comments were purely based on real ship practice not any game. If that offends you then Im sorry.