Konvar

Help me understand: the new ATLAS player = slave? (PVE)

24 minutes ago, Kummba said:

What while, atm thats ~level 10 and some resources! It can be done in 30 min (if gems on the island)!

Exactly this. Even without gems on the target island it can be done in a few hours.

The point is, that only mega tribes will be able to keep the islands. For all others waits only slavery or a lawless Robin-Hood life in...well... lawless ?

1 minute ago, Talono said:

Even without gems on the target island it can be done in a few hours.

Problem here is, you farm up, your ship is mostly done, the island is claimed inbetween, landlord comes and demolish your shipyard. You quit?

So either u spawn on an island with gems and better be fast, or go lawless (maybe even freeport) right away!

22 minutes ago, Kummba said:

Problem here is, you farm up, your ship is mostly done, the island is claimed inbetween, landlord comes and demolish your shipyard. You quit?

So either u spawn on an island with gems and better be fast, or go lawless (maybe even freeport) right away!

I choose answer b) 😂

I know there's no hope in gods will that I'll ever be in time to make a claim to an island, but, have thought about this.  I actually want to give it a try.  If successful, I can guarantee that it'll be the best island out there...  Am I selling myself?  😄

Had this fantasy chat with a rl friend of mine over dinner the other night, and the more we talked about it, the thought of giving it a go sounds quite interesting / fun, even if it fails and it spits in out face, we'd have tried it.

Rules we decided on are

a) no foundation spam or blocking resource nodes.  #1 rule.

b) no toxic behaviour which includes and not limited to insulting fellow islanders, and using offensive / racial dialogue.

c) just be mindful and respectful of your neighbours, don't go building walls infront of someones animal shed.

d) build a community, and be helpful.  Doesn't hurt to actually be helpful.

That's pretty much it.  Depending on what it actually costs to upkeep, we'd balance the tax rate against flat upkeep.  May have slightly higher tax rate on 2x weekends, but keep as low as possible.

Encourage EVERYONE to be involved.  Listen to residence, if people have a say they shouldn't be made to feel like slaves at all.  Individuals or company reps can make themselves heard.  I'd want to listen, and, try to actually be helpful and mindful to the fact that players actually play for fun..  

It may never work, but until one tries, who knows.  BUT I know for certain, that, I'll miss the scrum.  People will take days off work, and each and every claimable island will be gone in a few hours.  Then like everyone else that misses out, will probably just kick about in lawless.  Owning an island sounds fun in theory especially if we get to talk more with fellow islanders, and work collectively to police and keep the island neat and tidy in exactly the way the community wants it.

Will it happen?  doubt it.  Once the claims start flying about, it's game over.

Atm i trend to go for a, if i am a lucky claimer, i will create an anarchy island. By that i mean, i will try to farm the upkeep by myself and dont give a shit about the state of the island, so never demolish anything.

B can be done if failed anyway!

4 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

Encourage EVERYONE to be involved.  Listen to residence, if people have a say they shouldn't be made to feel like slaves at all.  Individuals or company reps can make themselves heard.  I'd want to listen, and, try to actually be helpful and mindful to the fact that players actually play for fun..  

Go for it! I would like to have an outpost on such island!

27 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

I know there's no hope in gods will that I'll ever be in time to make a claim to an island, but, have thought about this.  I actually want to give it a try.  If successful, I can guarantee that it'll be the best island out there...  Am I selling myself?  😄

Had this fantasy chat with a rl friend of mine over dinner the other night, and the more we talked about it, the thought of giving it a go sounds quite interesting / fun, even if it fails and it spits in out face, we'd have tried it.

Rules we decided on are

a) no foundation spam or blocking resource nodes.  #1 rule.

b) no toxic behaviour which includes and not limited to insulting fellow islanders, and using offensive / racial dialogue.

c) just be mindful and respectful of your neighbours, don't go building walls infront of someones animal shed.

d) build a community, and be helpful.  Doesn't hurt to actually be helpful.

That's pretty much it.  Depending on what it actually costs to upkeep, we'd balance the tax rate against flat upkeep.  May have slightly higher tax rate on 2x weekends, but keep as low as possible.

It may never work, but until one tries, who knows.  BUT I know for certain, that, I'll miss the scrum.  People will take days off work, and each and every claimable island will be gone in a few hours.  Then like everyone else that misses out, will probably just kick about in lawless.  Owning an island sounds fun in theory especially if we get to talk more with fellow islanders, and work collectively to police and keep the island neat and tidy in exactly the way the community wants it.

Will it happen?  doubt it.  Once the claims start flying about, it's game over.

It sounds like a nice place.  I hope you're able to do that.  But I'm worried about your chances.

I've heard a number of people saying they'll try to get an island, and then start listing the kinds of people they want -  no griefers, no toxic chat, no people who would annoy the other tenants, no spammers, no big boxes for buildings, people have to speak with me first, etc.   I know earlier in the game, people who had claimed land were looking to share some of it or build their companies, and many of them had even more specific requirements.  I went to chat about offers with a few of them, all very nice people, but all with somewhat different visions of what they wanted to do with the land.  One group of nice guys had an amazing build under way, all with a medieval theme.  (H/T BvC and JLF)  Not my thing...I really want to do a sort of New England/Canadian maritime village place.  But it seems like lots of people have a vision for how things will end up on their islands.

I wish you all good luck with that, but everybody's got to sleep sometime.

A lot of the comments posted are picking out the landlords as the winners and the tenants as the losers in this new design.  I think everyone is a loser.

Anyone can build anywhere.

The first time you have to be away from the game more than X hours, there go your plans.  The people you turn away for not fitting into your scheme may go away, or they may be pissed off and  watch and wait.  In the end, rather than curating your island paradise, you'll get to play a cat and mouse game with someone who is pissed off at you and wants to wreck the place.  Who wants to be on the clock for a game that's supposed to be some kind of fun leisure activity?  "I'd like to go see that movie with you, but I have to log in and delete pillars, sorry."

Well, my rule is that i wont attack anyone who did not attack me first. Would be raiders will have a tough time, some of them still wait in my cages maybe. Didnot check as no-perspective-Atlas is boring.

Waiting for the patch that maybe comes out end of May 2089 is boring as well.

Edited by Talono
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, Konvar said:

I said another. Now Mr. X has spammed 300 foundations on Y Island.

After the patch, Mr. X will take the island!

His attitude towards his neighbors will NOT CHANGE!

What is the system of protection against such a "student" in the new version of ATLAS?

Having a bear and an elephant, I can alone pay all taxes for the island and all residents!

I see sou are mentioning foundation spamming in lawless.

Let me explain why non newbies do it.

Since many tribes have chosen to build in lawless instead of claimed, foundation spam is a means to legitimately defend your base from possible thatch mortar towers and 1 foundation cannon emplacement, but also from building forward op base next to your base for easier raid.

Personally i prefer lawless as it reminds me on ark mechanic. Would appreciate wider non build radius and the ability to auto repair on lawless.

I know it's all fantasy talk.  But will see how it goes.

I just know there's going to be an absolute scrum, a gold-rush for islands.   I know it's going to be at 3am UK time as well..   realistically it's never going to happen, that of us that work 10+ hours a day, just not going to get a look in :classic_cool:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheCoolGuy said:

the fact that the landowner can demolish your stuff whenever he wants is a huge motivation problem for me and probably many others.

we know this community is extremely toxic and so will be most of the landowners. lets face it, the toxic nolife nerd kids will be the first on the island and claim it.

how many islands are on the map right now? i have no clue but lets say its 1000 islands. we know they will add new islands/biomes with the patch so we get probably a few hundred more. lets say we will have 1200 islands. on patchday alot of players will try atlas again and we will probably see 50k+ people online. 1200 landowners and 48800 taxslaves. GREAT CONCEPT! *facepalm*

ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION:

WHY SHOULD I INVEST ALL MY TIME TO BUILD SOMETHING NICE ON A PIECE OF LAND THATS NOT MINE AND COULD BE DEMOLISHED ANYTIME JUST BECAUSE THE LANDOWNER GETS JEALOUS, IS A TOXIC KID OR SIMPLY DOESNT LIKE ME?

even if the landowner is a friendly person at the beginning. he could just wake up one morning and say "haha fuck this game i quit but before that lets drop all others on my island and demolish everything hahaha". YOU KNOW THIS SHIT IS GONNA HAPPEN

I like how you can´t read captain´s log and just automatically assume landlord can demolish your structures whenever he wants ... Instead of bitching on forums u could read what devs write in Captain´s log. 

Edited by Willard

3 hours ago, Talono said:

Well, my rule is that i wont attack anyone who did not attack me first. Would be raiders will have a tough time, some of them still wait in my cages maybe. Didnot check as no-perspective-Atlas is boring.

Waiting for the patch that maybe comes out end of May 2089 is boring as well.

Can you do yourself a favor and finally stop playing this game? And a little favor for us - stop posting on this forum. You are only bitching, bitching and bitching. Nothing constructive, only crying all the time. 

It´s early access, come in 2 years when this game is properly developed and polished. Until that just give developers some proper ideas and constructive feedback or shut your mouth. This crying of yours in every topic is pointless. 

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lol I think most of the people in this thread will be too busy arguing on the forums to level and claim an island. Then they’ll be back here “saying see I told you so.” !! REEEEING into the abyss. Just chill. Everyone talking about being a slave is gonna end up as one. You sound so dead set on the idea. 

Just wait till the update comes out. 

Also chill with the mega company bitching. Mega companies are human. Talk to them. We are usually pretty happy to have people living on our islands. If you’re a wighny crybaby then we evict you. 

6 minutes ago, Polar Express said:

Mega companies are human. Talk to them. We are usually pretty happy to have people living on our islands. If you’re a wighny crybaby then we evict you. 

thats pretty toxic and just proofs the "crybaby"s argument. fuck your mega company.

selfowned. loser

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hahaha! See you in on atlas toxic crybaby. I’ll save you a spot on my island. 

On 3/12/2019 at 6:33 PM, TheCoolGuy said:

im talking about reallife not atlas. fool. never watched matrix hmm? never heard of the criminal elite that owns and controls everything? yeah you are a fool

Ur a cooked unit. Do you work for info wars?

58 minutes ago, TheCoolGuy said:

thats pretty toxic and just proofs the "crybaby"s argument. fuck your mega company.

selfowned. loser

P r o o f s.

try proves. 

And then....

try crybaby.

ill let you be my slave any day. Slave scrub.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:10 PM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Paying taxes does not make someone a slave. We pay taxes in real life but we aren't slaves. The use of the word slave constantly in regards to Atlas is stupid.

Really ...then you will pay my taxes because you learned to be a slave and all is fine?

I did not buy this game to pay taxes to some a-hole that was faster than me to claim land.

Same people have to work for a living and have a family and can not be 18 hours per day  in the game like you to claim everything possible.

Edited by Beechies

36 minutes ago, Beechies said:

Really ...then you will pay my taxes because you learned to be a slave and all is fine?

That makes no sense whatsoever. Try rephrasing it please.

I did not buy this game to pay taxes to some a-hole that was faster than me to claim land.

You act as if it's real life? You bought this game to play the game right? Well taxes is part of the gameplay, so you received exactly what you paid for, to play a game. Also just because someone claimed land makes them an "insert inappropriate word"? I hope you never manage to claim land because then you'll look in the mirror and call yourself that "insert inappropriate word".

Same people have to work for a living and have a family and can not be 18 hours per day  in the game like you to claim everything possible.

Like me? You know nothing about me. I work for a living, have been for the past 20+ years. But what does that have to do with what was being discussed about people incorrectly using the term "slave"?

Also, I have already stated that I have no interest in claiming land, I'd rather settle on someone elses land. But of course you don't pay attention to what is actually be discussed, you jump in half-assed and spout a load of unrelated garbage.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

It sounds like a nice place.  I hope you're able to do that.  But I'm worried about your chances.

I've heard a number of people saying they'll try to get an island, and then start listing the kinds of people they want -  no griefers, no toxic chat, no people who would annoy the other tenants, no spammers, no big boxes for buildings, people have to speak with me first, etc.   I know earlier in the game, people who had claimed land were looking to share some of it or build their companies, and many of them had even more specific requirements.  I went to chat about offers with a few of them, all very nice people, but all with somewhat different visions of what they wanted to do with the land.  One group of nice guys had an amazing build under way, all with a medieval theme.  (H/T BvC and JLF)  Not my thing...I really want to do a sort of New England/Canadian maritime village place.  But it seems like lots of people have a vision for how things will end up on their islands.

I wish you all good luck with that, but everybody's got to sleep sometime.

A lot of the comments posted are picking out the landlords as the winners and the tenants as the losers in this new design.  I think everyone is a loser.

Anyone can build anywhere.

The first time you have to be away from the game more than X hours, there go your plans.  The people you turn away for not fitting into your scheme may go away, or they may be pissed off and  watch and wait.  In the end, rather than curating your island paradise, you'll get to play a cat and mouse game with someone who is pissed off at you and wants to wreck the place.  Who wants to be on the clock for a game that's supposed to be some kind of fun leisure activity?  "I'd like to go see that movie with you, but I have to log in and delete pillars, sorry."

This is where servers like DarksideRP come in, PvP with rules and active admins, want to build a New England maritime village, post it up and I'm sure there will be a number of people who are interested in that sort of thing and would be willing to work towards making it happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

That makes no sense whatsoever. Try rephrasing it please.

You act as if it's real life? You bought this game to play the game right? Well taxes is part of the gameplay, so you received exactly what you paid for, to play a game. Also just because someone claimed land makes them an "insert inappropriate word"? I hope you never manage to claim land because then you'll look in the mirror and call yourself that "insert inappropriate word".

Like me? You know nothing about me. I work for a living, have been for the past 20+ years. But what does that have to do with what was being discussed about people incorrectly using the term "slave"?

Also, I have already stated that I have no interest in claiming land, I'd rather settle on someone elses land. But of course you don't pay attention to what is actually be discussed, you jump in half-assed and spout a load of unrelated garbage.

If we get land I want you to live on it 😄 Lotus#4187 on discord 😄

I don't think people actually understand slavery. I had a guy run up next to me while I was mining on one of our claims and take mineral nodes. It was irritating but that guy needs metal too. I can also see how that would make people just wall people off the resources so they are always going to have all the nodes. The tax bank makes it so while land owners are offline they get resources so if they wall it off they can't get the resources. So they either get 100% or 30% for people using the land it is 70% or 0%. The tax bank solved one problem and created another but to me it's still better to get that 70 over that 0.

~Lotus

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I can also see how that would make people just wall people off the resources so they are always going to have all the nodes.

With the new weight system a player can mine like 700-1k metal in one go out of a walled off place, so it does not protect anything anyway!

So there is no 0. And we are back at 30% taxes, where supporter of the system where saying nobody will use 30% 🙂

For Claims it is ok to be first come first serve, for resources not so much?

I have never ever lived on an island where i could not get a decent amout of "spawn limited resources" (Metal) withhin an hour. They may be farmed when u start farming, but i allways got at least some at the respawn. This can also be work around with allways having some backup stored.

Edited by Kummba
missed last part

3 minutes ago, Kummba said:

With the new weight system a player can mine like 700-1k metal in one go out of a walled off place, so it does not protect anything anyway!

So there is no 0. And we are back at 30% taxes, where supporter of the system where saying nobody will use 30% 🙂

For Claims it is ok to be first come first serve, for resources not so much?

I have never ever lived on an island where i could not get a decent amout of "spawn limited resources" (Metal) withhin an hour. They may be farmed when u start farming, but i allways got at least some at the respawn. This can also be work around with allways having some backup stored.

This happened early on in the game when 2/3 of the spawns I knew about on the island a shack built on them that prevented the respawns. It was more annoying than anything. I understand why people would wall off resources though. I also understand what the implementation plan of a tax bank was.

I have seen walls that you can't get passed. Unless you fly in with a drake. I don't know if you would be able to get out though cause the carry on a drake is awful.

For a decent amount of metal... We were using about 100k metal per kraken attempt during progression basically getting information to send to grapeshot for a broken encounter.

~Lotus

• Like 2

2 hours ago, microphobe said:

This is where servers like DarksideRP come in, PvP with rules and active admins, want to build a New England maritime village, post it up and I'm sure there will be a number of people who are interested in that sort of thing and would be willing to work towards making it happen.

You can do anything with active admins and a small server population.  🙂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lotus said:

We were using about 100k metal per kraken attempt

Ok, just go Polar with galleon bring gunpowder/coal, craft balls/bolts there. It is not like you just realise you need 100K metal now!

I am solo/duo and would do that (brig tho), did for restocking GA SotD fighter.

Edited by Kummba
missed last part
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I have seen walls that you can't get passed.

??? How you are unable to climb them?

7 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

You can do anything with active admins and a small server population.  🙂

I believe this game it's more like one of those small towns where the mailman is also the bartender and the school teacher. Wildcard is a team of I think 60? I have not been able to figure out how big of a team Grapeshot is.

7 hours ago, Kummba said:

Ok, just go Polar with galleon bring gunpowder/coal, craft balls/bolts there. It is not like you just realise you need 100K metal now!

I am solo/duo and would do that (brig tho), did for restocking GA SotD fighter.

We tried polar the problem was it's line 1 and line 15 the Kraken is H8. You could not put too much on your boat or you risked SotD/Whales. We would run an escort but for total farm per hour it was really not lucrative.

7 hours ago, Kummba said:

??? How you are unable to climb them?

This is a trick I learned from PvP. If you flip a roof to the outside you can't actually get over it. You can also make them really high and then they run out of stam or break their mining climbing picks.

~Lotus

• Like 2