Konvar

Help me understand: the new ATLAS player = slave? (PVE)

29 minutes ago, Talono said:

Whats wrong with you ? Slaver megatribes will pay the upkeep easily and drive the slaves from their land for fun. This is absolutely 100% not questionable.

Its a shame how the devs still hug megatribes only. Why do you think there is the 9 hour PVP window ? For small tribes ? No, these cant use it, as it is by far too long for them. Its just perfect for megatribes because retaliation on them is impossible now.

No, the new system is not because the devs suddently detected their heart against offline raids vs poor new players and small groups.

So the mimimi of the megatribes has been successful and was heared by the devs.

I was talking about PVE.  You know since this topic has PVE in the title.  There are not nearly as many "MEGA TRIBES" on PVE so its really a non issue.  

3 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Paying taxes does not make someone a slave. We pay taxes in real life but we aren't slaves. The use of the word slave constantly in regards to Atlas is stupid.

Well they are trying for a reaction you know so reparations are in order..

I think you're looking at only the negatives and ignoring the positives of the system.

I work and have a family so the chances of me getting an island during the initial land grab are slim to none. But that's alright with me, I'm actually looking forward to being a tenant.

Go and find an island, talk to the land owner and some of the other people living there, make sure the owner is not a douche and is active and keeps the island clean, then if it all looks okay ask if I can move in and build a city like I have now.

I don't have to worry about the limits of my claim circles for my builds, I don't have to worry about unsavory neighbors moving in, I don't have to worry about island upkeep or people coming in dropping pillars or building on resources or putting up ugly ass gate walls all over the place. I'll have someone else to take care of all that, and all I have to do in return is play the game like I would normally and just take a few extra hits with my elephant or rhino to make up for any lost resources. Not a bad trade.

And if it turns out that later on down the line that the land owner turns sour, I can just pack up and move. I'm not limited to the claims I can get, there are hundreds of other islands to choose from, and at least a portion of them will have chill owners.

I see it as being better than the system we have in place now. As it stands I'd rather be a tenant than a landlord, much less stressful.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Paying taxes does not make someone a slave. We pay taxes in real life but we aren't slaves. The use of the word slave constantly in regards to Atlas is stupid.

Perhaps "thrall" is a more appropriate term, slaves don't get to keep anything they make or earn as it all belongs to their master. A thrall just lives under someone else power and is forced to do what they are told for fear of repercussions and can eventually buy their freedom from their master.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, microphobe said:

Perhaps "thrall" is a more appropriate term, slaves don't get to keep anything they make or earn as it all belongs to their master. A thrall just lives under someone else power and is forced to do what they are told for fear of repercussions and can eventually buy their freedom from their master.

"Tenant" also fits that same description with the added benefit of being able to call upon your 'master' to fix things you're not able to.

38 minutes ago, Kidori said:

"Tenant" also fits that same description with the added benefit of being able to call upon your 'master' to fix things you're not able to.

But you aren't really a tenant because you aren't protected by rules or contractual obligations you are just on his property, peasant would also be a proper word, probably better than the others.
A peasant pays the landholder for nothing but the fact that he owns the land, there is no responsibility to a peasant where there is to a tenant.
If there were rules set up and contracts that would prohibit the landholder from removing you without notice or recompense or forcing you out in other ways then yes tenant would be acceptable. but even in PVE a bad landholder can still run people off their land for no reason and with no tangible recourse.
A bad "yelp" review for a land holder is not really something that many people will see on the forums unless they dedicate a sub-forum to it.

2 hours ago, Kidori said:

Go and find an island, talk to the land owner and some of the other people living there, make sure the owner is not a douche and is active and keeps the island clean, then if it all looks okay ask if I can move in and build a city like I have now.

Do you really think a mega company is going to let you move in and build a city ?.

Very unlikely and they'll only want you there to pay taxes and farm free mats for them so they don't have to do it themselves.

10 hours ago, MrHeid said:

First of all I don't think your choice of word slave is "correct" here.  This is a video game.  You are not forced to play it.  

Secondly we don't even know yet if the so called "slaves" get the better end of the deal yet.  My guess is landlords will be competing  get companies to settle on their land just so they can keep it.  They likely will try to accomidate the settlers/slaves in anyway possible.  Because if they don't they wont be able to afford the upkeep.  The system could work pretty well with proper checks and balances.  I have been considering heavily which role I would like to take.  It seems like a lot more work to be the landlord honestly.  

Sorry but this is complete nonsense. The megacompanies will take the islands for themselves and drive everyone else out. They pay the upkeep on their own.

Funny viking raids on the megatribes as in the past will no longer be possible due to the PVE time window.

You cant change human nature. 

1 hour ago, Rats said:

Do you really think a mega company is going to let you move in and build a city ?.

Very unlikely and they'll only want you there to pay taxes and farm free mats for them so they don't have to do it themselves.

Mega companies =/ Evil overlords

I'm in a mega company at the moment, and retained complete control over my own territory. I have several companies living on my claims and everyone gets along great. We have a nice community going and help each other out. I hang out with them more than I hang out with my company. Even used the taxes to help make ships to bring them along to do power stones.

But mega companies don't need resources. We have them. No amount of farming you could do under even 30% taxes will amount to more than a drop in the bucket of what we go through. I farm more in 20 minutes by myself than I make in 2 weeks at 10% taxes (which actually got me more materials than 30%). Whatever amount is gained from taxes is likely to go straight to upkeep on the island while the resources used for projects are farmed personally.

That said, I'm not concerned about what company owns the island. It's too easy to dehumanize people when you just talk about them as companies. Talk to the person that owns the land, be respectful and behave with basic human decency and you'll be fine. If that person isn't amenable to you living there, there are plenty of other choices. There will be plenty of islands not controlled by mega companies. With the additional islands per grid there are more claimable islands than there are active members of all the mega companies combined at present.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, microphobe said:

Thrall doesn't work either. Are you going to be forced to do what you are told by the settlement owner? No you are not, they can't force you to do anything. You don't even have to farm from their island and they can't do anything about it. All they can do is demolish structures in a certain timeframe. So no you aren't a thrall either.

Stop trying to come up with terms that don't fit the bill.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

im sorry but yes you are a slave.

• Like 2

Just now, TheCoolGuy said:

im sorry but yes you are a slave.

No you are not.

A slave means you are the legal property of another owner.... are you in Atlas? NO.

Also means you have to obey their instructions..... do you have to in Atlas? NO.

Also means working hard, little breaks, scraps of food, and usually not owning your own property..... is that the same in Atlas? NO.

So no, you are not a slave. You just use the word because you don't know how to describe something you don't like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

No you are not.

A slave means you are the legal property of another owner.... are you in Atlas? NO.

Also means you have to obey their instructions..... do you have to in Atlas? NO.

Also means working hard, little breaks, scraps of food, and usually not owning your own property..... is that the same in Atlas? NO.

So no, you are not a slave. You just use the word because you don't know how to describe something you don't like.

im talking about reallife not atlas. fool. never watched matrix hmm? never heard of the criminal elite that owns and controls everything? yeah you are a fool

Edited by TheCoolGuy
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:35 AM, Konvar said:

On the first day of the new patch, the evil players who built the foundations in Lawless will take over the land.

They will collect taxes and demolish the buildings of other players.

The new player will not have a flag and the opportunity to live in their own land?

Is it a slave or feudal simulator?

Or I misunderstood?

The developers you have already taught me that the game does not have good people from any nation.

It remains only to rob, use bugs with cargo, ships of the damned, stop others from playing !!!

P.S. Solo game you have not given!

UPD: Make a voting system for settlers. The owner of the island gains -10 karma and goes to a permanent ban!

da F

that's your picture?

you propaply don't understand what i mean.

it's ok.

not the first time for you i guess.

the fact that the landowner can demolish your stuff whenever he wants is a huge motivation problem for me and probably many others.

we know this community is extremely toxic and so will be most of the landowners. lets face it, the toxic nolife nerd kids will be the first on the island and claim it.

how many islands are on the map right now? i have no clue but lets say its 1000 islands. we know they will add new islands/biomes with the patch so we get probably a few hundred more. lets say we will have 1200 islands. on patchday alot of players will try atlas again and we will probably see 50k+ people online. 1200 landowners and 48800 taxslaves. GREAT CONCEPT! *facepalm*

ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION:

WHY SHOULD I INVEST ALL MY TIME TO BUILD SOMETHING NICE ON A PIECE OF LAND THATS NOT MINE AND COULD BE DEMOLISHED ANYTIME JUST BECAUSE THE LANDOWNER GETS JEALOUS, IS A TOXIC KID OR SIMPLY DOESNT LIKE ME?

even if the landowner is a friendly person at the beginning. he could just wake up one morning and say "haha fuck this game i quit but before that lets drop all others on my island and demolish everything hahaha". YOU KNOW THIS SHIT IS GONNA HAPPEN

Edited by TheCoolGuy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, TheCoolGuy said:

ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION:

Because the land owner cannot demolish everything you own at any time. There is a 12-hour period of time after a structure has been placed that the land owner can demolish it. After that period of time is over, they cannot demolish your structures. However, they can still attack them normally on PvP.

Note: The developers did mention that they may lengthen the 12-hour period for PvE servers.

EDIT: If you go around calling the land owner a toxic nolife nerd kid, then yes your structures will probably be demolished. Just sayin.

Edited by Kidori
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MrHeid said:

First of all I don't think your choice of word slave is "correct" here.  This is a video game.  You are not forced to play it.  

Oh THIS argument! It is not slavery because i can also charge of the 20€ i paid for the game, really?

To summaries the system as unknown as it is (for both claimer and people without claims):

*everyone need to farm more now (taxes, upkeep)

*The start will be a struggle for everyone (is the first setup base save?)

*no alliances anymore, because U can not totally have an/multiple alt company for your needs!

*there can be Island with all resources unblocked now!

• Confused 1

I don't know how many people you think it's going to be playing after the wipe, but we are gonna need a lot of people to populate those ~800 islands. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheCoolGuy said:

the fact that the landowner can demolish your stuff whenever he wants is a huge motivation problem for me and probably many others.

Landowners in PvE can only demolish in the 12 hour window from when a structure is placed. That 12 hour window may be extended, but after the window the landowner can do nothing to the structures. People need to understand this instead of obsessing over something that is not true.

we know this community is extremely toxic and so will be most of the landowners. lets face it, the toxic nolife nerd kids will be the first on the island and claim it.

Yes, there can be a lot of toxic players, but toxic players like to spend time griefing people, which means they would more likely be focused on that than spending the time to level up, unlock the taxation bank, get to a source of gems which may not be on the island they are on, then make the taxation bank then use it to claim an island. You seem obsessed with the notion that people will be able to spawn on an island and instantly claim it the moment the fresh servers come up.

Also calling people toxic nolife nerd kids.... doesn't sound like you are far off from being a toxic player yourself.

ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION:

WHY SHOULD I INVEST ALL MY TIME TO BUILD SOMETHING NICE ON A PIECE OF LAND THATS NOT MINE AND COULD BE DEMOLISHED ANYTIME JUST BECAUSE THE LANDOWNER GETS JEALOUS, IS A TOXIC KID OR SIMPLY DOESNT LIKE ME?

even if the landowner is a friendly person at the beginning. he could just wake up one morning and say "haha fuck this game i quit but before that lets drop all others on my island and demolish everything hahaha". YOU KNOW THIS SHIT IS GONNA HAPPEN

It can't be demolished at any time. Why are you obsessed with this when it is not true? Do yourself a favour, take a deep breath, count to 5, then read the last 2 Captain's logs properly and fully understand what the changes are.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Landowners in PvE can only demolish in the 12 hour window from when a structure is placed. That 12 hour window may be extended, but after the window the landowner can do nothing to the structures. People need to understand this instead of obsessing over something that is not true.

I will not demolish, 

I will build a gate around!

I will close the slave in a cage!

3 minutes ago, Coggage said:

It seems Lawless is still the best place to build in PvE then? 

It seems even after the second wipe 😭

1 minute ago, Coggage said:

It seems Lawless is still the best place to build in PvE then?  😄

Only if you can afford to logon every 4 days before everything disappears, which mostly is fine, but if solo and on holiday then nope, Lawless is not the best place. But I do think lawless will be pretty busy.

I just check now again to make sure,

You need a Tax bank to place a flag, so it would take a while to claim a island.

10 minutes ago, Skyr34per said:

I just check now again to make sure,

You need a Tax bank to place a flag, so it would take a while to claim a island.

What while, atm thats ~level 10 and some resources! It can be done in 30 min (if gems on the island)!