I've been using this formula to guesstimate the total amount of RAM used by each tile on one physical server:

3 GB + Islands x 0.35 GB

Does this sound about right? I realize some islands might take more memory (e.g. Islets vs powerstone islands). Has someone done a breakdown of memory use by island, so that one can plan an entire grid memory usage?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Christopher Blackfrost said:

Other sources I've read suggested about that. 3-5 gb per. .

I'll add this though: I'm running a 1x1 but with over 30 islands. It usually takes around 6-10 gb, usually 9 gb.

I have a 2x1, with the following:

- A1: 25 islands, including islets and PVE islands = 12 GB

- B1: 6 Islands = 6 GB

86% of 16gb memory use for 2x2 1 freeport zone , 1 x all pve islands 8 islands and real ghost ship spawns, 2x grids with 19 islands 10 on one 9 on the other mix of small and large 

Edited by UDO

On 3/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, Andargor said:

Can anyone tell me the exact memory usage of the boss tile, which should be empty?

Center Maw on my cluster uses 800MB when empty, i have it setup exactly the same as official. So no islands, just the boss spawn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is good information to have, I got my server 2 days ago, I am setting up now. I did not get it to host an unofficial, I basically got it to be a sandbox for mods. So I am planning on running mine fairly light weight, I will not have more than 3-5 players on at once testing. 

That said, I have been looking into how much cpu/ram is required on different setups. I have been scouring the interweb for information, found a lot in cp64 streams. I want to scale down my map so it runs lighter thus allowing me to host more grids (I am looking into more ship and ocean based gameplay, so I am looking to host a few tiles of just ocean). 

When I get setup I will add my info here. 

• Haha 1

Hugely depends on the Grid. Since we have a fresh start I can tell that we have some dense Grids that chew trough 12gb ram without Structures 

Running my test server kills my cpu, my ram is usually fine. I always seem to have around 5Gb used for a grid, sometimes with 4 islands, sometimes with 10. I don't know if islands really change it much or if its only when they are "active"(Players loading them).
My old AMD 8350 black edition seems to max out when running 2 grids, but my poor 16Gb RAM seems to hold out just running both grids and running the game its self (as long as I shut down chrome):P
I do run large paging files though also for Virtual RAM, which the server eats like crazy.

Okay, I stand corrected. Just looked at my logs for my last server boot up and its high for just my freeport.

6 islands 2 trenches... 

[2019.04.12-08.58.57:109][872]LogMemory: Process Physical Memory: 1102.03 MB used, 1306.55 MB peak
[2019.04.12-08.58.57:117][872]LogMemory: Process Virtual Memory: 1161.02 MB used, 4143.63 MB peak
[2019.04.12-08.58.57:117][872]LogMemory: Physical Memory: 7786.69 MB used, 16347.54 MB total
[2019.04.12-08.58.57:119][872]LogMemory: Virtual Memory: 5649.59 MB used, 134217728.00 MB total

134217728MB of virtual Memory.. Never realised I had so much 😄

Ugh, an empty grid is now 1.4 GB... I was thinking of maybe making a 3x3 with 1 tile for the boss and 2 tiles mostly empty except for islets and 6 tiles with islands to make a nice square, but that's a lot of wasted memory.

Edited by Andargor