Jump to content

Jannes Wal

Please stop demotivating the devs

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

To those who may concern,

Please stop claiming it’s all dead and over and please stop the constant atacks on the game and its devs. Sure the game can be improved (a lot?) and yes we need more players BUT all this negativity will just become a self fulfilling prophecy.

 I paid money for this game and i have had a lot of fun with it and i would love to continue playing It. We want new players to join, management to continue to fund devellopment and a dev team that is motivated to improve the game for us. 

NO you don’t have to lie and YES you can point out what needs improvement but PLEASE do not be so depressive about this game, there is nothing to gain by spreading all this negativity!

Edited by Jannes Wal
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I paid 25 bucks for (until now) 600 hours of fun. I’m already statisfied.

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the almost 3 months since the game has been available, the devs haven't inspired confidence in their skills.  In fact, confidence has shrunk on a daily basis.  I've seen the number of players at 55k initially, 35k after the initial excitement and now, because the game is in such a state that they had to announce a wipe prior to a very large patch, I see 5,500 players on tonight.  Some of those missing players see no point in wasting their time until the patch, some will probably never return.

What's not depressing about that? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the devs understand this forum is hosted on the internet and every hater that posts on the internet will eventually make their way to this forum and post something. I've blocked a few of them (so I don't see their posts), the devs can do that too. Haters will be haters, they are pretty easy to spot. Asking them to stop is a  waste of time, it seems to be their hobby instead of actually playing the game.

Love the game, hoping it improves significantly though 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Coggage said:

In the almost 3 months since the game has been available, the devs haven't inspired confidence in their skills.  In fact, confidence has shrunk on a daily basis.  I've seen the number of players at 55k initially, 35k after the initial excitement and now, because the game is in such a state that they had to announce a wipe prior to a very large patch, I see 5,500 players on tonight.  Some of those missing players see no point in wasting their time until the patch, some will probably never return.

What's not depressing about that? 

Do you understand what you just posted my dude? Read through your own post again and  really think about the pattern you just established in your own words. It is the pattern all games follow as far as hype is concerned. If you look at battle metrics for any game with a wipe system you will find the exact same pattern. 

Yes, atlas had a shaky launch. Many players were scared off by that. Many came back or put the game down saying that they will come back after it is more polished. The devs are polishing it as we speak. At this very moment. 

If I were to load up a copy of atlas in the state it was in on day one of launch right now and play it I would say it needs a lot of work too. However the devs have put in a shit tonne of work and it really shows. The 55k player count was largely early game hype. It happens to many games.

The bad reviews on steam are generally from the period when it launched. They do not reflect the game in its current state at all. I challenge you to look at the negative reviews on steam and say those issues weren’t or addressed by the devs to some capacity. Either the devs have stated they are, have or will be changing x,y or z in updates. 

My personal confidence in the devs greatly rose after they admitted they made a game that was too hardcore as far as PvP was concerned. The majority of atlas players were or are ark players. In general (generally speaking!)  that means they don’t enjoy games like rust( it is brutal and that is its niche and that is totally okay) where you are constantly raided and you can’t farm because some toxic 12 yr old is waiting to f’ck you up for a meme because they saw a streamer do it. This scared a lot of ark players in the beginning because a lot of the players in the beginning were from many other games like rust etc. the PvP brutality curve went up significantly from ark to the beginning or atlas because of this. 

The devs have addressed this and are changing the game mechanics to cater towards less in game hostility as a whole and a fairer playing field for all play styles. As a PvP mega company player from rust I can recognise this and I commend the devs on their descision to foster an ethos in their game that is fun and encourages more team work (the new claim system, raid windows, upkeep economy) 

i believe many people are currently sitting around waiting for the wipe. This means they are either playing atlas (5500 players) or they are playing/doing something else. This is expected and should not be conflated with failure. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say that how much I love Ark, it transferred to Atlas with as much delight.

Hoping the new "mega update" will indeed prevent PvE griefing / foundation spam, and people building over into and across your plots of land in both lawless and claims.

 

Other than that I'm one super happy punter.  Big fan of Jat & team's work.  Confident Atlas will continue to entertain for many years.

Cudos to all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I stop with demotivating them if they stop demotivating me. :skull:

Edited by awakatanka
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I'm a believer of positive reinforcement. It should comfort most that the devs are listening and trying to make everyone happy.  I don't think most people get that it is not a me situation here it is a we and as such the devs are doing what they can for us not just a you.. So when people flip shit after seeing the devs ideas I would suggest calm down and realize they keep trying to reassure you those changes can still be tweaked till they get it right.. So as is I am happy with the pve claim the way it is as long as I can have my own island.. The only gripe I have is the renting land thing I still go by my no one wants to rent period ask anyone if they would rather rent or own or share an island most will say they want to own and not share.. I am in the second bit there since I like building in these games so yeah I don't want to share my island.. And taxes come on no one wants to pay those in a game it's bad enough we are forced to do it in real life and turns out most of it here in the usa has been being done illegally.. lol So... Boston Tea Party anyone? Also would like to add at this point I don't envy the devs.. No matter what they do everyone still cries fowl on them.. Smh..

Edited by madmartigan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Polar Express said:

Do you understand what you just posted my dude? Read through your own post again and  really think about the pattern you just established in your own words. It is the pattern all games follow as far as hype is concerned. If you look at battle metrics for any game with a wipe system you will find the exact same pattern. 

Ah, I see the problem.  You failed to fully understand the intent behind the term "initial excitement"  which is Adultspeak for "hype" but, from your use of the hideously insincere and childish Millennialism "my dude" I have lowered my expectations accordingly and will henceforth aim only to address adults.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sincerely people are cool

not sure about devs

obviously they dont even tested their own game 

some old bugs still in Ark like the double key setting not working are in Atlas and probabley wont never be fixed

so once again i really doubt

making a game with only mixing assets and mechanics give this shit

so u defending people who made a lot of money with a work like this ?

oh yeah we are in 2019 wonderful world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Aztro said:

so u defending people who made a lot of money with a work like this ?

I don’t know them and have no reason to defend them. I dont mind them making money, if they continue develloping the game they may all become bilionares, i don’t care.

I paid for a game and i want to get as much fun out of it as possible. In order to have more fun with Atlas i need the devellopment of the game to continue and other players to populate the servers. I assume most people who bought the game want the same. In my opinion all this this negativity is counter productive.

Point out wat is wrong but please try not to to ruin it for the rest of us by talking this game into its grave, just go play something else..

Edited by Jannes Wal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Go for the win, not the participation trophy. give credit, where credit is due.
 

1plodk.jpg

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The devs are demotivating the players day by day.

Wiping a working system and replacing it with something not working is trash.

Edited by Talono
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Talono said:

The devs are demotivating the players day by day.

Wiping a working system and replacing it with something not working is trash.

true...was playing daily and having a blast. now it's all kinda meh. sure the old system had it's flaws but this all can build everywhere is worse and no more claim flags, no more territory msges, no more nice flags...meh too.

would have been better to fix the old system as it was quite solid just had some flaws....maybe just an upkeep and/or decay for unused claims and a remove of the tax system on PvE...i mean i gladly play tax on PvP to someone who uses it for defense like whe had it on PvP but if i played on PvE i would be salty about itcuz it doesn't make sense there at all.

everything wiped on top...meh again 🙂

i will try to get into it again after the wipe but somehow i do not think we will have a super high population a few weeks after the patch and very likely a lot will not play again that played until now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to remember the wipe is unfortunately a necessary evil.  Visited two islands last night to treasure hunt and pay for my crew (been neglecting it for a week or so now).

The first island I went to was lawless.  Rife foundation spam, someone went to clear and absolute measures to keep everyone off about 1/4 of the island.  Foundations were seen up mountains, all over the beaches, in land, and around resources.  Frustrating and infuriating.

The second island we went to was claimed, 2 out of 3 treasure areas were boxed in, with roof, so no way to actually get to the dig / damned spawns, hard to make out your position against the sea of red.  Not one section of island was't flag spammed.  

The more I traveled the more I realise greed was the reason for this wipe.  Unfortunately the minority has blown it up for the majority.  We as players are to blame.  Also unfortunately, the dev team have to work countermeasures to greed in to the game, and by doing so, forced to alter mechanics which ultimately fix the minority, and hinder the majority.  

I don't know what's worse.  Greedy players being greedy, or, grapeshot mitigating greedy players with unfortunate mechanics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As i am a total lawless guy... even more after devs just destroyed any hope to claim an island.

So you can pillar as much as you want, as the minimum distance to an enemy foundation is very low you always find a spot for a foundation. If not for a foundation, then for a pillar where you can place a foundation on top.

If both is not possible and your target is not reachable with ship guns or bear cannon, just remove one foundation close to the target base with a mortar or ecplosive barrels and place your own foundation. You can also build 100m high sky laddars (there is no physics) with a foundation on top.

Place a cannon on the top foundation -> win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

You have to remember the wipe is unfortunately a necessary evil.  Visited two islands last night to treasure hunt and pay for my crew (been neglecting it for a week or so now).

The first island I went to was lawless.  Rife foundation spam, someone went to clear and absolute measures to keep everyone off about 1/4 of the island.  Foundations were seen up mountains, all over the beaches, in land, and around resources.  Frustrating and infuriating.

The second island we went to was claimed, 2 out of 3 treasure areas were boxed in, with roof, so no way to actually get to the dig / damned spawns, hard to make out your position against the sea of red.  Not one section of island was't flag spammed.  

The more I traveled the more I realise greed was the reason for this wipe.  Unfortunately the minority has blown it up for the majority.  We as players are to blame.  Also unfortunately, the dev team have to work countermeasures to greed in to the game, and by doing so, forced to alter mechanics which ultimately fix the minority, and hinder the majority.  

I don't know what's worse.  Greedy players being greedy, or, grapeshot mitigating greedy players with unfortunate mechanics.

We all know what it's like, and it's sad but like 90% of the issues could have been fixed with a hard cap of 5 flags per player.
Play solo, 5 flags,

Join a company, you can place your 5 flags wherever they want you to but you still have to place them,

when you leave, those flags go pop and the land is up for grabs again.

Want to claim somewhere new? "You have reached your maximum allowed claimed territory, placing this flag will remove your first flag placed"

Done and dusted, why is it so fkn hard for the devs that they insist on taxation without representation and a licence to grief.

Edited by microphobe
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, microphobe said:

We all know what it's like, and it's sad but like 90% of the issues could have been fixed with a hard cap of 5 flags per player.
Play solo, 5 flags,

Join a company, you can place your 5 flags wherever they want you to but you still have to place them,

when you leave, those flags go pop and the land is up for grabs again.

Want to claim somewhere new? "You have reached your maximum allowed claimed territory, placing this flag will remove your first flag placed"

Done and dusted, why is it so fkn hard for the devs that they insist on taxation without representation and a licence to grief.

Because mega tribes will quit, and the devs don't want that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, microphobe said:

We all know what it's like, and it's sad but like 90% of the issues could have been fixed with a hard cap of 5 flags per player.
Play solo, 5 flags,

Join a company, you can place your 5 flags wherever they want you to but you still have to place them,

when you leave, those flags go pop and the land is up for grabs again.

Want to claim somewhere new? "You have reached your maximum allowed claimed territory, placing this flag will remove your first flag placed"

Done and dusted, why is it so fkn hard for the devs that they insist on taxation without representation and a licence to grief.

5 flags would have been absolutely sufficient for one player.

Basically you need one in your base and maybe a second one at the dock... finished.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, microphobe said:

We all know what it's like, and it's sad but like 90% of the issues could have been fixed with a hard cap of 5 flags per player.
Play solo, 5 flags,

Join a company, you can place your 5 flags wherever they want you to but you still have to place them,

when you leave, those flags go pop and the land is up for grabs again.

Want to claim somewhere new? "You have reached your maximum allowed claimed territory, placing this flag will remove your first flag placed"

Done and dusted, why is it so fkn hard for the devs that they insist on taxation without representation and a licence to grief.

 

44 minutes ago, Talono said:

5 flags would have been absolutely sufficient for one player.

Basically you need one in your base and maybe a second one at the dock... finished.

I totally agree on both points tbh.

Had it been like you said, the wipe probably wouldn't have been necessary.  The only consolation being that it's drummed home the importance of lawless, and opened up everyones eyes for unscrupulous morons spamming foundations.  It's human nature to like privacy and living space, but it's so against the game spirit to twat on your fellow players.

I'm to the point where they can do what they like in claimable territory, as long as foundation spam, and measures are in place to stop idiots griefing in lawless (especially PvE), then my experience will be enhanced.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

 

I'm to the point where they can do what they like in claimable territory, as long as foundation spam, and measures are in place to stop idiots griefing in lawless (especially PvE), then my experience will be enhanced.

There's nothing that can be done about it.

If you think about it, the problem isn't so much foundation spam as just...spam of any kind.  if 50 other people want to live on "your" lawless island and anyone can build within 4 tiles of you, what's worse, seeing foundations there, or seeing huge squares of stone with giant gates, or having someone build their gigantic taming pen around your house?

Sure, you could make the radius bigger, make decay much faster (which just means you get brand NEW foundations or stone cubes every few days and the people with legitimate builds have to spend all their time just keeping the stuff repaired), you could do taxes there.    None of that ensures a good player experience on lawless.

If you go far enough with that, you've reinvented the old claims system, which is probably better, but still not limited, so now new players won't even get land on lawless.

As a player, the only thing you can do to combat that is to spam your foundations first to reserve your space, except then nobody can tell you apart from the "bad guys" so they can't even implement some kind of GM intervention for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately you're absolutely on the money there WT.

If only one could win the neighbour lottery, and have folks that appreciate space and, are decent enough to not build a Chernobyl style 'sarcophagus' building over your entire base.  Sad to say it we have been victim to fence posts being used to block our brig after a dispute over a temporary elephant trap in a field...   yeah it's a sad world sometimes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Xenom said:

true...was playing daily and having a blast. now it's all kinda meh. sure the old system had it's flaws but this all can build everywhere is worse and no more claim flags, no more territory msges, no more nice flags...meh too.

would have been better to fix the old system as it was quite solid just had some flaws....maybe just an upkeep and/or decay for unused claims and a remove of the tax system on PvE...i mean i gladly play tax on PvP to someone who uses it for defense like whe had it on PvP but if i played on PvE i would be salty about itcuz it doesn't make sense there at all.

everything wiped on top...meh again 🙂

i will try to get into it again after the wipe but somehow i do not think we will have a super high population a few weeks after the patch and very likely a lot will not play again that played until now.

I feel exactly the same way about playing the game now.

About the claims, the old system wasn't that bad, it just need some fixes. :classic_mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the damage has already been done to the player base.   A good portion of players probably wont revisit this game till it's closer to release or after launch.   Unfortunately the honey moon is over with this game and allot are moving on. 

I wouldn't worry about getting land, there should be plenty.  With the addition on new islands and 2/3 the player base leaving, there should be plenty of room.

So relax and be happy, everyone wins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×