Sign in to follow this  
Thrayceus

Duplicate Islands

Just wanted to say one of the most frustrating things I've found in my travels so far is the high number of duplicate island models. Please say that the upcoming island re-haul will eliminate these unnecessary duplicates. Not only does it seem lazy, but it can be confusing when you're traveling by site and landmarks and suddenly think you've gotten turned around some place because you start seeing the exact same place you just left. Really breaks the immersion, and it is especially bad on the starter islands with the group of four identical islands.

• Like 1

Duplication is 8x freeports, 4x in tundra, and usually 2-3x of most islands with some uniques.   The average is about 3x duplication. I know this because I created our unofficial with the intent of no duplicates - and we ended up with a 5x8 which is 1/6th the grids at doubled density and has 1/3rd the islands.   Much bigger than expected and the owner had to get more server to make it work.

Outside of freeports it is rare that the same island is used within the same grid, there might be a copy within the same region, and there might be another copy in the other hemisphere.  But what purpose does unique freeports have when the entire point of them is GTFO?  They would better off be instanced to handle the traffic. 

Tundra is scheduled to be fixed with the removal of west tundra used in the east tundra, using the similar variations that make east/west tropical/temperate look asian vs. western.

Just because the shoreline view of the map is the same does not mean it is a duplicate.    There are only 40 shoreline shapes in the game, but there is mostly certainly not 20x duplication causing you to get lost in copypaste.

The game adds sublevels to the islands that makes them look and play very different.  Equatorial have tiny swamp islands  surrounding them with no mountains, tropical has sandy beaches with inner mountains, temperate has tiny rocky beaches and bigger mountains.   Deserts have windswept rocks.    Tundra has pine trees and snow.   Many of them have variations with buildings and statues.   All of them have different flora and fauna, and climate along with the topographical variation in rocks and beaches.

They will be increasing from 2-3 island per isle to 3-4 islands per isle.   They are on record as saying this will be done with duplication and not new islands.   They are doing it for gameplay reasons (island owners) and not because there was a backlog of unfinished island art.   I would expect the average duplication to remain at 3x as that will be offset with the new Eastern Tundra (not really new it was clear that just missed the rushed Dec release since the sublevels for Tundra was already called Western)

Edited by krazmuze
  • Confused 1