Hattrix

(Poll) WHO WANTS AN ISLAND?

164 members have voted

1. 1. (Poll) WHO WANTS AN ISLAND?

• I want to claim (own) the whole island and the perks & responsibilities that go with it. I want to be the landlord.
    • I want to live under someone else's rule (Someone else owns the island you build on. They are the landlord. You are at their mercy.)
    • I want my own claim to build on (with sufficient space for shipyards, farms.. ect). No one is my landlord. 1 claim per person only.
    • I want my own claim to build on (with sufficient space for shipyards, farms.. ect). No one is my landlord. MORE than 1 claim per person.
    • Some other option that isn't listed (add yours to the comments)

1 minute ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

What are you going on about? There won't be more than 1 flag per island. So it doesn't matter where the flag is placed on the island it will cover the entire island.

When people hit the shoreline they will first need to place down a taxation bank in order to have a flag placed. People won't be able to lay claim immediately.

Well I don't see that lasting long to be honest. They have already said they are listening and looking at ways around it which is why I was talking about a number of claims per person.

You are presuming the current system will role out, they have a chance to tweak that system yet, nothing is certain. With people unhappy about it I'd be very surprised to see it stay long term. They will more than likely revert to a certain number of flags per person.

Just now, MrMagoo said:

Well I don't see that lasting long to be honest. They have already said they are listening and looking at ways around it which is why I was talking about a number of claims per person.

You are presuming the current system will role out, they have a chance to tweak that system yet, nothing is certain. With people unhappy about it I'd be very surprised to see it stay long term. They will more than likely revert to a certain number of flags per person.

Well that's the thing, the system wasn't working before, so they decided to completely rework it, which involved removing it entirely from PvE. People didn't like that so they changed it again. They can't keep changing it constantly, there's got to be a point where they say right, this is what we're going with and it's gonna stay as this. Otherwise the more often they keep changing their minds about the claim system the more wipes will be required and i'm pretty sure they want to keep wipes to a minimum.

21 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Well I don't see that lasting long to be honest. They have already said they are listening and looking at ways around it....

Let's hope so.

I know this may put the cat among the pigeons so to speak...

But a comment I read in another post, and it got me thinking, it's actually not a bad idea.

Put the old flag claim system into the NEW lawless islands with a slight change.  Someone can only have 3 flags in the world..  One can choose to have one larger base, or 3 small bases scattered around.  That way you have a base perimeter where no one can build, but you're capped and limited as to how much you can build around it... so no more spam, and no fear of someone building 3 tiles from your animal shed.

It's still technically lawless because there's no supreme "governor".  Claimed islands have a governor, rules / laws etc... where lawless just has limited claimable scope.  Since alliances aren't a thing now it's just company. 

Politics:

If you own 3 plots of land and join a company, then that land belongs to the company.  If you get kicked, you get your claims back and no longer controlled by the company.  That stops griefing / trolling by company leader.  IF YOU quit the company, then your land remains with the company.  It's as easy as that.  Stops YOU quitting and running off with the main base etc.

All other regions just are as they are.  For some reason it makes sense to me.  Maybe I just had too much coffee.

35 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

Put the old flag claim system into the NEW lawless islands with a slight change.

I can kind of see the idea with the politic policies that you pointed out.  But I'd change one item and add another political policy.

CHANGE:  Implement something like this on the new islands, so 1 island per sector is using it.  Lawless isn't  supposed to be a permanent location, it's supposed to be a starting point or a temp home.

NEW POLICY:  A company that has laid any claims down can not build on any island with a settlement in place.  If a structure is on an island that is recently claimed then that structure rapidly decays in 24 hours with no option to repair/maintain it.

I always saw lawless as a retreat.  I think with the new policies coming in for claimed islands, for me particularly, lawless is becoming more and more attractive.  I'd be devastated if decay timers made lawless inhospitable.  Really there's not enough real estate for people looking to just own an allotment without lawless...   Not looking for anything greedy, just a reasonable size circle of land where i can build a house, farm, keep animals, and a ship yard will do me just fine.  Even if it's just one claim of reasonable size it's ok.

I think more and more people will move to lawless when land lord horror stories start flowing.

Edited by Vorxius
  • Like 2

Personally I would prefer phased areas to build and all PvP and farming were based off your ship so you always had your phased home to go back to.

Be done with Player vs Wall and camping on your island for mats...  Pretty sure there would be actual epic sea battles in this scenario.

5 minutes ago, MindOfMadness said:

Personally I would prefer phased areas to build and all PvP and farming were based off your ship so you always had your phased home to go back to.

Be done with Player vs Wall and camping on your island for mats...  Pretty sure there would be actual epic sea battles in this scenario.

If it wasn't likely WAY too off current design, I would agree.

Just give everybody a private island that they can build on in a phased manner, and it would resolve a lot of the problems.  then, the ruleset for the shared space could be truly optimized for shared space.

i can see owning an island being a lot of work , having to clean up pillar spam , remove items blocking in your residents etc etc , i play game to relax not to spend time sorting out other players resource blocking and shipyard blocking .....

this new system they have planned it rubbish do they really think landlords are going to spend their time cleaning up the pillar spam and sorting out other players issues with new players that arrive and spam stuff all over , might be a novelty at start but i cannot see many player maintaining it for long 

p.s well played though devs handing over gm duties to the players well done indeed ,,,,,,,,

49 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

I always saw lawless as a retreat.  I think with the new policies coming in for claimed islands, for me particularly, lawless is becoming more and more attractive.  I'd be devastated if decay timers made lawless inhospitable.  Really there's not enough real estate for people looking to just own an allotment without lawless...   Not looking for anything greedy, just a reasonable size circle of land where i can build a house, farm, keep animals, and a ship yard will do me just fine.  Even if it's just one claim of reasonable size it's ok.

I think more and more people will move to lawless when land lord horror stories start flowing.

don t think lawless is going to be a thing once this new system rolls out 

Edited by UDO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Archsenex said:

Just give everybody a private island that they can build on in a phased manner, and it would resolve a lot of the problems.  then, the ruleset for the shared space could be truly optimized for shared space.

I don't think it would ever happen...  I would just prefer a system like this.

IMAO so far the best Idea is to divide the island into separate small territories. One flag per territory. Limited flags companies (one for small one and several for big ones). Then it's yours settlement. You build there. You landlord. You even can surround it by a wall with skulls and spikes (just kidding - there is no such walls in the game... well... I once saw cage on a rope and there was a skeleton inside).

Sad thing about current "mark-1" game? Total loneliness. I mean I see some bases around... I see new structures appears from time to time, but in most cases there is NO players, and after 4 days I can demolish all. There were 2 times when we warned each other about alphas... but... then, no one around. And with this territory system - there is a high chance you'll have a neighbors, you'll see a life around. You will be able to help each other, make it's a friendly place and so on... what d'u think?

2 hours ago, Archsenex said:

I'm debating on writing a post about how I would fix all this crap. The best solution is everybody has a personal island that is instanced to them. (Basically the garrison in WoW). Then they have a tribe island that they can do stuff with the tribe. If you leave the grid it takes you into the lawless world. I couldn't find a huge problem with this except that it basically turns official into a private server so you cut off interactions with people and the biomes would make it wonky.

~Lotus

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I'm debating on writing a post about how I would fix all this crap. The best solution is everybody has a personal island that is instanced to them. (Basically the garrison in WoW). Then they have a tribe island that they can do stuff with the tribe. If you leave the grid it takes you into the lawless world. I couldn't find a huge problem with this except that it basically turns official into a private server so you cut off interactions with people and the biomes would make it wonky.

~Lotus

It solves a LOT of problems though.  A personal island makes almost every complaint about the flag system no longer really an issue.

At that point, either new system is probably fine.

20 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

It solves a LOT of problems though.  A personal island makes almost every complaint about the flag system no longer really an issue.

At that point, either new system is probably fine.

Nope.  Like any system introduced it would close some issues and just open the door for a truck-load of more.

With instanced islands you would eliminate all free island roaming and exploration.  You'd eliminate any sense of community or the feeling of the game being an MMO.  You'd have MORE loading times and increased server lag every time someone sails to or from an island.  All player shops would be eliminated except for Freeport only, all trade would be regulated to a freeport server as well.

Like he posted earlier.  At that point you aren't playing an MOM, you are playing Single Player Atlas is all.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 6:55 AM, Hattrix said:

This poll is biased btw. You have the first 2 worded negatively so they are less appealing. I could Do the same thing and say who wants to be a landlord, control an island and ensuring a fair experience for all. Be a tenant, helping the landlord keep the island you call home a great place to have your base. Then spin the negative I want 1 flag per person and if I settle near a toxic group they will grief me so my claim is useless until I leave or quit the game because the GM's have too much to take care of. I want people to have multiple claims so that casuals can't find land and if they run the risk of a larger group griefing them. (current system).

I have a classification system for different tribes. You can be either white pirates, blue pirates, or black pirates. White pirates play the game and wait for griefers to go away. Blue pirates play the game but if you grief them they will grief you back. Black pirates will try to take what you have, these are the griefers. In the top 10, 2 were white, 2 were blue (1 was Lotus, If you throw the first punch well..), 3 were black confirmed (proudly told me how they griefed). From what I heard another was also black (I never had direct interaction for confirmation). The other 2 ???

The point though is that the problem currently has no good solution just a solution that will create less problems. I'm probably going to end up doing what I don't want to do which is write a huge wall of text. (Some of the people I recognize and know I write walls) This wall is going to dwarf those walls. I'm gonna write the wall and make grapeshot pay for it 😄 (I'm bored but what am I going to do play atlas 😄)

~Lotus

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Nope.  Like any system introduced it would close some issues and just open the door for a truck-load of more.

With instanced islands you would eliminate all free island roaming and exploration.  You'd eliminate any sense of community or the feeling of the game being an MMO.  You'd have MORE loading times and increased server lag every time someone sails to or from an island.  All player shops would be eliminated except for Freeport only, all trade would be regulated to a freeport server as well.

Like he posted earlier.  At that point you aren't playing an MOM, you are playing Single Player Atlas is all.

Not true...

Many MMOs use this exact method for player housing and it's completely ignoring the need for exploration to acquire mats for any building/progress or that you can invite or join with other players to use the same instanced areas.  Load times would be no different than they are now or better as seen in WoW instanced garrisons like another user stated.

The majority of trade will be taking place in freeports because where else can you be sure you won't get touched inappropriately by the bad man you're trading with? Obviously that applies more to PvP but a much better practice in general considering there's a freeport close to every other tile in the game or you invite someone to your instanced island to trade with the use of a global trade channel...

The only real difference would be no life neck-beards couldn't take everyone's shit in the middle of the night or when they are at work while calling it PvP yet never have to at least 1v1 a single player.

I like personalized claims with a limit. Starting with 1 claim and earning 2-3 more as you advance. 

No claim spamming, you need to be strategic and place your limited claims in areas with different resources. 

Or

something similar to the new system that encourages community but has real consequences for land owners behaving badly. 

38 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Only the home islands would be instanced

29 minutes ago, MindOfMadness said:

Not true...

Many MMOs use this exact method for player housing and it's completely ignoring the need for exploration to acquire mats for any building/progress or that you can invite or join with other players to use the same instanced areas.  Load times would be no different than they are now or better as seen in WoW instanced garrisons like another user stated.

The majority of trade will be taking place in freeports because where else can you be sure you won't get touched inappropriately by the bad man you're trading with? Obviously that applies more to PvP but a much better practice in general considering there's a freeport close to every other tile in the game or you invite someone to your instanced island to trade with the use of a global trade channel...

The only real difference would be no life neck-beards couldn't take everyone's shit in the middle of the night or when they are at work while calling it PvP yet never have to at least 1v1 a single player.

Yup.  Youd want to have the islands drop generic resources.  They'd mostly be a home and for people who want to "just build" as many have stated.

You could even level clamp them to encourage leaving but not force it.

39 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Yup.  Youd want to have the islands drop generic resources.  They'd mostly be a home and for people who want to "just build" as many have stated.

You could even level clamp them to encourage leaving but not force it.

I'd like to hear the Dev's opinions on such a system...  @Jatheish @Dollie 

4 minutes ago, MindOfMadness said:

I'd like to hear the Dev's opinions on such a system...  @Jatheish @Dollie 

At that point youd probably want to also change how freeports worl, in that they'd no longer double as home servers and should be more trading hub ports 

20 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Then why make it a Sandbox MMO at all?  Why even bother with structure building?  Why even bother with exploring?  I build structures because I WANT to show them off, I WANT random people to be sailing by and go "Hey, check that out over there!  Let's go take a look."  I play on NA-PvE and I even leave all my doors on the house unlocked so random people can wander in and tour the place.  I WANT actual dock-side player shops where the neighbors and myself can set up stalls and have a sort of open market that people may just stumble across.  And while they are playing tourist and checking out the island, maybe they decide to see if they can settle in the area and open a stall too.  Half the reason I sail around is to EXPLORE (both the island and other people's bases), it'd be awefully boring and not worth my time if every island I go to is a barren wasteland with no signs of any other players.

A lot of MMO's have instanced player housing, but NOT ONE of those MMO's has a dynamic sandbox style instanced player housing where the player can design and build their own massive structures of different materials, and item placements.  In those instances the player housing is always the exact same model with just a few dozen minor variations and with limited "instance size", and that's because the processing power and memory systems to render and run anything more then that would send any server into a meltdown.

• Like 1

I thought about instanced islands, but there is a rather large issue to deal with; collision detection when entering and exiting the instance. It would be like crossing between grids, but with everybody trying to cross at the same point.

You also lose out on seeing other people’s creations. Every island that you arrive at is almost devoid of life, except other players who happen to be there at the same time and do not have a private instance on that island.

The world would feel even more empty than it currently does, because you’ll never see or talk to anybody, except for perhaps in passing. At least now you can wonder if people are still there.

The game that came to mind for me with that description is No Man’s Sky when it first came out. Massive world where you would never meet anybody else, other than a “player x named this planet y” message. (I’m not trying to hate on No Man’s Sky, I actually enjoyed it at launch)

4 minutes ago, Salty Del said:

I thought about instanced islands, but there is a rather large issue to deal with; collision detection when entering and exiting the instance. It would be like crossing between grids, but with everybody trying to cross at the same point.

You also lose out on seeing other people’s creations. Every island that you arrive at is almost devoid of life, except other players who happen to be there at the same time and do not have a private instance on that island.

The world would feel even more empty than it currently does, because you’ll never see or talk to anybody, except for perhaps in passing. At least now you can wonder if people are still there.

The game that came to mind for me with that description is No Man’s Sky when it first came out. Massive world where you would never meet anybody else, other than a “player x named this planet y” message. (I’m not trying to hate on No Man’s Sky, I actually enjoyed it at launch)

I think theres some assumptions about the instancing.  It would be more like instanced freeports than instancing every island. 

You'd still have shared claim space etc where people would build their communal structures etc.  You just wouldn't be forced to compete for a claim to get any land at all.