Hattrix

(Poll) WHO WANTS AN ISLAND?

(Poll) WHO WANTS AN ISLAND?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. (Poll) WHO WANTS AN ISLAND?

• I want to claim (own) the whole island and the perks & responsibilities that go with it. I want to be the landlord.
    • I want to live under someone else's rule (Someone else owns the island you build on. They are the landlord. You are at their mercy.)
    • I want my own claim to build on (with sufficient space for shipyards, farms.. ect). No one is my landlord. 1 claim per person only.
    • I want my own claim to build on (with sufficient space for shipyards, farms.. ect). No one is my landlord. MORE than 1 claim per person.
    • Some other option that isn't listed (add yours to the comments)

Actually I was quite happy with with living on tundra lawless, but there were only 4 small companies on a big ass island. 1 claim per person in plenty

• Like 6

I want them to remove the need to have land to play the game

Let me farm on my ship

Let me store resources at a freeport

Let me kennel my tames

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

Let me farm on my ship

Let me kennel my tames

that's an intriguing idea 

• Like 1

I'm absolutely never, likely to ever rever weather feather ever ever ever ever never... EVER going to be someone's tenant in Atlas.

1 reasonable, non griefable, no douche entitled, no ones slave, just plain old simple own plot of claim to call home.  That's me sorted right there.

Else claimable islands are just a tourist destination for me / us, prefer to live on lawless, and reap whatever penance goes with it   🙂

• Like 10

If the game is to succeed then people need to not be greedy.

A person needs only a place to store things and build

Not be a landlord, go play civilization if you want a city

Its a game people wanna explore and build not work for others

Edited by EyEamInfidel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EyEamInfidel said:

If the game is to succeed then people need to not be greedy.

A person needs only a place to store things and build

Not be a landlord, go play civilization if you want a city

Its a game people wanna explore and build not work for others

I agree 100%

The 3-4 people who play Atlas with me just want a simple, decent size plot to build a house, 2 shipyards, and a pen. We're not looking for a lot. I really hope we can get it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awakatanka said:

With alliance chat our else a global group chat. And global normal chat :classic_rolleyes:

Was there a plan to eliminate those types of chat functionality?

They should add a trade chat that covers the entire map for trading purposes. Also I want my own island I don't want to rent out or have to rent land either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Let me farm on my ship

Let me kennel my tames

I lobbied for that week 2.

• Like 1

I’ve thought a fair bit about this, and this is what I’ve come up with:

I want a place for us to be able to play and build as we want. With what they’re currently talking about, it sounds like that means we’ll need to claim a whole island. This one claim per island may be a good or bad idea. It will depend on the players to take it in the direction thy want. I tend to view the PvE servers as cooperative, instead of competitive, so that’s how I see us playing.

To that end, we’ll be looking for a small island to claim. We’ll have our own section for ourselves, a public harbour with open crafting tables, and probably a community garden.

Anybody will be welcome to build on our island, with the only rules being to not build on resource spawns, and don’t grief your neighbours. I’m picturing it being like a moderated lawless island.

I don’t want to rule over anybody else, but I also don’t want anybody else to rule over us. I think most players would agree.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Salty Del said:

To that end, we’ll be looking for a small island to claim. We’ll have our own section for ourselves, a public harbour with open crafting tables, and probably a community garden.

Anybody will be welcome to build on our island, with the only rules being to not build on resource spawns, and don’t grief your neighbours. I’m picturing it being like a moderated lawless island.

That'll probably be the majority of land-owners after everything settles down, especially if they make the island owners and tax rates public record on the map.  I mean seriously?  Who's going to sail to an island and settle down knowing that the tax rate is at 30% and has never been lowered?  Especially when there will be other islands with tax rates of 5-15% just to pay the upkeep.

As long as the tax rate is low and the important resources are protected.  I'm fine with the idea of a landlord, I mean seriously how much harm can he do?  So he has a period after I place something that he can pop it.  So when I start I'll tame a cow and store all my resources in it ... after the resource chest passes the time-limit then I'll start stock-piling resources and building.

1 hour ago, CoopedUp said:

That'll probably be the majority of land-owners after everything settles down, especially if they make the island owners and tax rates public record on the map.  I mean seriously?  Who's going to sail to an island and settle down knowing that the tax rate is at 30% and has never been lowered?  Especially when there will be other islands with tax rates of 5-15% just to pay the upkeep.

As long as the tax rate is low and the important resources are protected.  I'm fine with the idea of a landlord, I mean seriously how much harm can he do?  So he has a period after I place something that he can pop it.  So when I start I'll tame a cow and store all my resources in it ... after the resource chest passes the time-limit then I'll start stock-piling resources and building.

thats the point of being a landlord with ability to remove structures , someone lands and starts building on resources its your responsibility as landlord to remove the offending building 

also the timer applies to all items as they are placed so stockpiling then building wont work if he doesnt want u there ,he will still be able to remove anything for 12 hours after its placed or longer .

the devs have been clever here with this system , as is like each grid / island will have unpaid mods , which will cut down on the tickets being sent it as all the players have to do is shout out to landlord about x player blocking resources or blocking them in , or blocking their shipyards , if he is a good landlord he will remove them ..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UDO said:

thats the point of being a landlord with ability to remove structures , someone lands and starts building on resources its your responsibility as landlord to remove the offending building 

also the timer applies to all items as they are placed so stockpiling then building wont work if he doesnt want u there ,he will still be able to remove anything for 12 hours after its placed or longer .

the devs have been clever here with this system , as is like each grid / island will have unpaid mods , which will cut down on the tickets being sent it as all the players have to do is shout out to landlord about x player blocking resources or blocking them in , or blocking their shipyards , if he is a good landlord he will remove them ..

What he means is that he will use the cow as storage until the destruction timer for his boxes has run out so that even if the landlord destroys his box he wont gain anything.

14 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Let me farm on my ship

Let me kennel my tames

All the above is quite easy to achieve. To build an all around brig (combat and cargo capable), you need one day lazy farming in any lawless. What you need to farm for your ship is repair resources and ammo. You can do this everywhere. If you are literally living on a ship, the resources you need are not much. With the player stores open in FreePort, you can store your goods there by setting insane prices for what you offer. Of course, most probably you will have to pay some tax for placing an offer or you will get charged with some % at offer completion. On a boat, the only tame you need is a bear. So, go for it.

15 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Let me farm on my ship

Let me kennel my tames

At the last days I played I had build 3 Brigs. 1 to life on and gather blueprints on. Second to store my tames on and was making 3th to hunt whale and other big things. And had 1 sloop for treasure hunt. 

Had a little place on lawless to build the ships. And was waiting to claim me a piece of land that almost expired after 21 days that was really 23,5 days.

Could have had my piece of land but the same day they announced the wipe. Man what a luck I had and happy I was about that announcement. .. .... Not..... But living on a ship could work. In pve you can dock everywhere and be save.

2 hours ago, microphobe said:

What he means is that he will use the cow as storage until the destruction timer for his boxes has run out so that even if the landlord destroys his box he wont gain anything.

as soon as he places something the landlord can demolish it , boxs / houses etc , each item has a 12hr + timer so he stores all his resources in his cow , builds his building when he thinks he safe the landlord comes over removes his building ?

the `12hr timer is for all items placed not just the first thing u place .....1 item placed at 8am is safe at 8pm next item placed at 8.05 is safe at 8.05 , not the first item placed is safe for 12hrs then everything after that cannot be removed ..so his thinking doesnt work stockpile all u want as soon as u place the first foudnaiton if he doesnt want u there it will be removed.or will just wait until u have built it then remove it .

Edited by UDO

If you are building with and within reason and you are not blocking vital resources or access to certain areas, no normal landlord will demolish your base as he will benefit from your presence on his land (less upkeep + tax from your local farming towards his upkeep amount - i.e. less farming for him). But if you have the intention to build a 100x100 foundations useless stone monstrosity plus another one of the same size, linked with a copy of the Golden Gate bridge plus real sized copy of the Great Pyramid as a center of your garden and all this surrounded by a copy of the Great Wall and block half the island with your weird architectural experiments, I doubt that your "base" will last even 2 hours. 

Or if the landlord is a dick and destroys your tiny shack just because he does not want ppl on his island, find another island and carry on. Oh, and wish "Good luck with the farming" to the dick as he will have to pay in solo his base and his island upkeep. And post your experience on the forums. I am sure that a topic "Good/bad landlords list" will be very popular and regularly updated with up-to-date info.

And via natural selection, new landlords will replace the idiot ones much faster than expected. And not only as many people are about to overestimate their potential and soon they will realise that this is not for them due to time consumption. Just wait for the upkeep time to come. Of course, this will happen if the devs set it in a way to be a real collective effort, depending on island size and resources. The announced "claim power" based on company size and different class islands, requiring different "claim power" is a good sign that they are working in the right direction.

In fact, a 5x5 base plus 2x2 Behe animal pen and a shipyard is more than enough to cover all your ingame needs. Owning and maintaining and island with all its pros and cons - I'd rather skip that part. Anyway, to have all the good stuff crafted, you have to sail and farm all around the map, so focusing your effort to one island is not the smartest move. Unless you are fine with all generic or green/blue at best items as your top crafts.

If I get heat stroke and decide to become a landlord, I will strictly determine the building plots, where people can build a base - e.g. up to 10x10 plus animal pen 2x2 Behe gates in size, and small, big shipyard and a pier for several ships. The rest of the island will be no-build farming area with only exception to structures, easing access to certain resources - e.g. stairs to pure metal nodes or gems on top of a steep rock. Such structures will be built by me as landlord and will be accessible for everyone. Of course, exceptions are possible for no-resource areas - e.g. big rock by the sea with not a single bush or stone on it or several not worth the farming effort trees, but all this would be a subject of discussion. And of course, the tax will be calculated for mutual benefit. If e.g. 5% are enough to cover the upkeep of the island and my 5x5 base, so be it. But again - this is just a theory what I would do if I decide that I need this constant engagement with a single island.

@Hattrix - For the record - I haven't voted in the poll as it is not unbiased - I believe you can figure out alone where it is. 

• Like 1

I don't want to be a landlord. Who would want to spend their time in game monitoring the people building on the island? Sure you can help others by preventing pillar spam, but you can't stop them. You'll get trolls that constantly pillar spam and all the landlord can do is remove them in the 12+ hr window. The landlord can't actually get rid of them, so let me ask this question.... why would anyone want to choose to put up with that as a landlord?

All I want is my own claim on an area of an island. All companies to have 1 claim only, make them a bit bigger than they previously were, maybe half way between what they were and what sea claims were. No overlapping of claims. That's what i'd be happy with.

• Like 3

A poll like this needs to be done in the PVP forum as well because there are just as many pvp players that don't want to pay tax either.

I will be only playing on lawless again after the wipe or not at all because I'm not going to be a slave to the mega's and pay for their island upkeep every time I want to build something.

• Like 1

We were absolutely happy in our lawless tundra piece. And wanna go lawless again.

As far as I calculated... we need 6 houses around 3x4:

- 1 for double blacksmith.

- 1 for tannery and loom + double mortar and prestige.

- 1 for our current craft projects with few smithies. 

- 1 tavern (it might be smaller then 3x4)

- 1 storage (where we would be able to store our foreign resources, right now we have one 3x4, there are 16 big storage boxes and some of them are full)

M1DzWBj.jpg

- 1 for ship construction and blueprints.

+ some space for farm (we have square of 8 pits, with water in the middle and it's enough for us)

+ tames paddock (right now it's 10 x 18 but I would spread this 10 (large gate size) to 12 so that would be 12 x 18).

+ 2 shipyards (small and large. This small rafts warf is not necessary). And 2 piers along shipyards (we in tundra so sometimes we need to avoid water).

+ one 3 x 4 trap with slope to tame wild fauna.

And of course pathways among all of that - we have em 2 foundation wide, but I would make addition 1 foundation.

So that's how much space our small company need (not sure if any small companies need more). I might sound really huge, but... it's actually not. Our "house part" as big as just a single lighthouse. Paddock even smaller.

SvqZMKj.jpg

I was thinking of additional 18 x 18 square for lighthouse (it's 16x16 plus one block extra from each side) but... well... right now, I don't really feel any1 need one. Island with landscape appears before lighthouse, so you know where to head before you see the light. While when it's fog - lighthouse don't light through it so you anyway don't know where to head : )) Right now lighthouses are just monstrous cosmetic feature. I would be glad if there would me a small (5 x 5 for example) wooden lighthouse tho...

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

I don't build very big bases so 1 claim flag is enough for me. The trouble is where can I build my ships?

You just know the first thing someone is going to do when they reach land is put the flag down on the shoreline, because you have to to build your ships unless they will allow everyone to build outside the claims which would be pointless.

You'll have everyone clustered together around the shore and a big empty island. I don't disagree with having more flags, it was the manner they were given to you, unlimited flags right from the beginning. If they made you work hard for those flags by acquiring alot of gold then I would have no problem with that but they must cap the flags off at a certain number and not let it run into hundreds of claim flags.

I am preparing myself to see coastlines cluttered though, you can see it coming. Can you imagine building a base first and have nowhere to build you ships? I'd be very angry if that was the case and would have to move to another empty island. I hope they've thought these things through.

Just now, MrMagoo said:

I don't build very big bases so 1 claim flag is enough for me. The trouble is where can I build my ships?

You just know the first thing someone is going to do when they reach land is put the flag down on the shoreline, because you have to to build your ships unless they will allow everyone to build outside the claims which would be pointless.

You'll have everyone clustered together around the shore and a big empty island. I don't disagree with having more flags, it was the manner they were given to you, unlimited flags right from the beginning. If they made you work hard for those flags by acquiring alot of gold then I would have no problem with that but they must cap the flags off at a certain number and not let it run into hundreds of claim flags.

I am preparing myself to see coastlines cluttered though, you can see it coming. Can you imagine building a base first and have nowhere to build you ships? I'd be very angry if that was the case and would have to move to another empty island. I hope they've thought these things through.

What are you going on about? There won't be more than 1 flag per island. So it doesn't matter where the flag is placed on the island it will cover the entire island.

When people hit the shoreline they will first need to place down a taxation bank in order to have a flag placed. People won't be able to lay claim immediately.