Archsenex

If the problem with all proposed systems so far is people blocking resources, why not declare 20% of islands as no building at all

Want to start a discussion.  Much of the foundation spam was to protect or deny resources.  So... if we have islands that are purely for resource gathering, wont that mitigate that issue?  You will always be able to sail to one island in your grid and resource.

• Like 1

Because that's not "the problem" with all the proposed systems so far.  There are many problems, depending on the system.

The only system people came up with that did not have these problems was simply limiting claims.  (With the option of no build zones around discoveries, rare resources, and treasure map locs)

• Like 1

The game requires getting different variants of resources from different islands.   Resource islands do not fit the game mechanics.     

Claims worked at protecting resources because they could be put over the resource and marked as no build, without blocking the resource from spawning.

It is why people want claims back, they are the best solution if only the bad implementation was fixed (overlaps, claim stealing, unlimited, etc.)

There are positives and negatives.  An example being this.  players can only build bases along the shore of an island so that gems, forests, etc are protected.  But salt is a beach resource.  Is that now a lost resource?  I dont know but it's the hard balance of the system.  

5 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

The game requires getting different variants of resources from different islands.   Resource islands do not fit the game mechanics.     

Claims worked at protecting resources because they could be put over the resource and marked as no build, without blocking the resource from spawning.

It is why people want claims back, they are the best solution if only the bad implementation was fixed (overlaps, claim stealing, unlimited, etc.)

I dont quite see how resource islands spread through the map doesnt fit with resource diversity.  It's literally just an island like any other without stuff built on it.  The resources would be the same as other islands in the grid.

1 hour ago, Archsenex said:

Want to start a discussion.  Much of the foundation spam was to protect or deny resources.  So... if we have islands that are purely for resource gathering, wont that mitigate that issue?  You will always be able to sail to one island in your grid and resource.

Like a freeport? 🤔

~Lotus

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Like a freeport? 🤔

~Lotus

Basically, except without the generic resources and decay rates that prevent anybody from going there.  And hostile creatures 

Basically, forced shared spaces that arent designed to be useless for progression.

Edited by Archsenex

So I need to sail to a island on my grid to build my building and craft my stuff? It is just a workaround for the real problem. Foundation and pillar spam.

If they go lawless then they should look if it possible to give every building piece x minutes of decay that counts up if there are more connected. If there are more then x connected it will go up in hours/days and not minutes.  Example : 1 foundation 10 min, 10 foundations 100 min , wall and ceiling connected 24 hours. If there are crafting things placed 48 hours. Etc... 

5 minutes ago, awakatanka said:

So I need to sail to a island on my grid to build my building and craft my stuff? It is just a workaround for the real problem. Foundation and pillar spam.

If they go lawless then they should look if it possible to give every building piece x minutes of decay that counts up if there are more connected. If there are more then x connected it will go up in hours/days and not minutes.  Example : 1 foundation 10 min, 10 foundations 100 min , wall and ceiling connected 24 hours. If there are crafting things placed 48 hours. Etc... 

I've been suggesting that for a month,  apparently they won't do it. 

Maybe we need to STOP offering the good suggestions since they seem hell bent on not using community solutions for this stuff

Edited by Archsenex

Just now, Archsenex said:

I've been suggesting that for months,  apparently they won't do it. 

Maybe we need to STOP offering the good suggestions since they seem hell bent on not using community solutions for this stuff

Maybe it's hard for them to say there player base is smarter then they are 😋

But he they are losing money, I only lost a small amount for now 😉

3 minutes ago, awakatanka said:

Maybe it's hard for them to say there player base is smarter then they are 😋

But he they are losing money, I only lost a small amount for now 😉

Yeah.   And for the people who claim it wont completely fix the problem, maybe it isn't a perfect solution but it's better.   Ther number of people who insist things should not get better until they can be perfect is frustrating

This premise is entirely flawed.   It presumes that the only reason pillars/foundation spam exists is to deprive others of resources?    How about all the other griefing uses for such spam?   Blocking someones build, blocking their harbor, blocking treasure maps,etc etc etc.....

So you still have to suffer all that and on top of that you have to sail to another island to get thatch?    Oh wait you cannot because someone walled in your harbor....

Edited by krazmuze