Daemon Cross

People left the game ?

@Winter Thorne better system everyone start the game with filling a form. The landlord drafts the ones he want. The rest that is not drafted can play another game because landlords do not like you.

I just go on island build and if landlord does not like me then I will behave like a Grievers. If they like me I behave like a normal slave.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Upkeep simulator, if you try to keep an island for yourself, I hope that is what it will be.

P.S. They said from the start they wanted landlords and tenants. So stop crying over not getting land, and become part of a community.

Either be a landlord / admin with all the hassle / benefits that comes with it, or a tenant and pay some tax for someone else to administer the island.

That's a fine sentiment, but it doesn't work.  There's nothing in that design that stops griefing landlords or griefing tenants.  There's nothing in it that stops new players falling prey to one bad attempt after another to find some place to build a base, and leaving the game in disgust.

Sometimes I think the people who keep saying this have some idea of Candyland in mind, or Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

Half the unhappiness and changing design decisions around claims/lawless  were ideas to keep people from acting like jerks.  This new idea doesn't even pretend to try to do that.   The devs are just pinning their hopes on some of the landlords policing the islands enough to make a few small places that are nice.

Remembering the old forum arguments -  "There's no land"  "There is so.  You're just lazy and stupid". 

I can't wait for the new forum arguments -  "This claim system sucks.  There are pillars and spam everywhere and these guys keep destroying everything I build."  "There are no pillars where *I* am, and I can build everything I want, so you're just too lazy to find the perfect spot like I did."

Welcome to Lord of the Flies.

• Like 2

Well that's a shame that all the people here are either greafers, or buthurt about paying tax.

I would have thought the PVE community was a little more grown up than that.

Well I'll keep plugging along at  trying to be community minded, despite this gaming community.

8 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Well that's a shame that all the people here are either greafers, or buthurt about paying tax.

I would have thought the PVE community was a little more grown up than that.

Well I'll keep plugging along at  trying to be community minded, despite this gaming community.

We're all very proud of you, here at The Institution.

The issue is that everyone wants to be the landlord and no one wants to be the tenant, it doesn’t matter if you are one of the ones who’s saying that you’ll just live on lawless or you’ll just live on your ship you are still being your own boss.  Those that say I don’t mind living under someone else as long as they have the rules the way I like them is basically saying, I don’t care who owns the land as long as I can still do what I want on the land is still playing by the same rules as those living on lawless or on their ships.

What it all boils down to is no one is going to be happy in the game until they can have their own area to build. Even those who say I’ll just live at sea, how many times are you going to lose everything at sea and start over in a Freeport until you’ve had enough and at least want a shipyard already built ?

Edited by Daemon Cross

Yeah I’ve already heard it in my head? “Well just join a company and use their stuff” even the company leader said the same thing as everyone else has, “ I created this company because I didn’t want to join someone else’s “

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daemon Cross said:

The issue is that everyone wants to be the landlord and no one wants to be the tenant

I only want to be a landlord if I don't have to have any tenants.

I will make the snakes pay TAX!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daemon Cross said:

Yeah I’ve already heard it in my head? “Well just join a company and use their stuff” even the company leader said the same thing as everyone else has, “ I created this company because I didn’t want to join someone else’s “

Ha, ha. Yes, the few times I've started a tribe/company was exactly this reason. I didn't want to join another company and some aspect of the game required a team effort, so I created one, even though I don't prefer bing in a company or the company leader.

24 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I only want to be a landlord if I don't have to have any tenants.

I will make the snakes pay TAX!

This. If the new system fails, it will be that the landlords will try and own an entire island while having no tenants. There just aren't enough islands for a decent sized population of players to all do that.

I don't mind paying a tax.  I already do that now because the little sliver of beach I was able to claim after 3 weeks of sailing around doesn't have resources.  What I don't like is that we won't have an assured place to build a little base with enough beachfront for our ships.  I don't want to be right on top of someone else's stuff like in lawless and I want to know we can build without fear of our new base/dock/shipyard being removed 3 hours after we log out.  I'm already resigned to the fact that my little group of 5 friends (if I can lure them back) won't all be able to log in at the same time on patch day, group back up and claim an island before they are all gone.

Maybe I will feel differently when they flesh out their design more fully but right now I don't feel like I will be better off than in those first few weeks I played and sailed around endlessly looking for a place I could build. 

10 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

How did you set up different levels of access ? I’m not sure I’ve seen the options.  

On top of that if I was to join a company and that company becomes toxic and I wanted to leave then everything I had built in that company is lost.  I can give more reasons not to join a company then I can to join one. It would be different if your belongings stayed associated with your account ID like it is in most games, that way when I left anything associated with that ID left with me.

For access you have an option for just players and admins then you have an option for access levels, you then have to set every level and what it can do then you need to set everybody to the desired level, you then need to set items to have the access level desired. It takes a while and you will miss some spots. We had a base in the artic that an admin set up and he didn't want people to run out and lose his fur gear so he put everything to access 5. Sometimes people would join and teleport to the place to get the discovery and get trapped cause the bed was not useable. It was polar though so you would die real quick. The name of the bed was don't teleport here. 😄

For finding a company I would recommend you talk to them and ask what their goals are and how they handle certain situations. You can also ask their neighbors to see if they are toxic. Be careful though cause Lotus is apparently a tyrant with 200+ members, that extorts people on our 2000+ flags, and if you arn't chinese we sink your boats and steal your flags. I can't remember what other crazy stuff I've heard about the tribe.

9 hours ago, awakatanka said:

I'm a pirate I suppose to be rude 😋

Should announce intentions. I was running around one day and I watched a guy die to an elephant, his buddy started running I was like oh crap these guys are getting wrecked so I killed the elephant with my bear. After killing it I noticed the little microphone icon was lighting up so I was like hold on I can't hear you. So I muted discord and stopped my music and tabbed back in. They were like why would you do that we were trying to tame that I was like oh my bad. This elephant was level 7 or something I was like ehhhhh I guess it's better than nothing. So I was gonna go back to our stable and just give them one of ours I had a 28 base that tamed to like 40 so they could have a "good" elephant. Then this guy starts screaming all kinds of profanity at me through the mic cause I killed his level 7 elephant. Now this was in the time of the sleepers and they had found an area that was set to all build but those guys were long gone. They put a trap up on it this was a ghetto trap, F11 is desert with a vulture problem so you want a wall of gates around your taming pen which I had a public use one for people an arrows distance from their trap which they could have used if they weren't being rude. I told him he should announce what he is doing when he arrives because I have a pen he could have used and I would have given him whatever he needed to tame (Wheat, bolas, bows, arrows, sickle, and even a public water fountain inside the pen cause F11 has wicked heatwaves and dying from dehydration while taming sucks for taming %) This dude goes off even harder calling me all kinds of things but then... then he says it... "You don't own this island" which I responded not the whole island just 90% of this grid. At that point he got even more pissed but talking to him wasn't worth my time so I went back to farming paste and looking for good tames. I got 2 rhinos and 1 elephant with a nice chunk of paste. They got a teen elephant the others they were getting died to the vultures. I could see it from the luxury of my taming pen. They left said more profanity at me in global before leaving. So yeah announcing what you are doing on an island 😄

When I am looking for something and know it's in a grid I start talking in global the people usually tell me where to find it. If I am lucky they will just sell it to me for some gold.

9 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

1.  You can't base game design on the behavior of one player who starts in EA.  You just can't.  Lotus may treat everyone wonderfully, but that doesn't mean everyone else will, and it doesn't mean Lotus can police the rest of the players to make them behave well.  And the day Lotus decides to leave the game, there goes your design.

2.  I play on the NA server during off-peak hours.  Even at the beginning, I didn't see a lot of people around, and many of the ones I did see weren't English speakers.  How the hell is somebody like me supposed to have a personal interview with every landlord who owns a place I want to set up a base?  I'm not going to sit around in my boat for days waiting for someone to show up at 6AM EST to talk to me, and I'm not going to go to some great lengths to be able to log in at some time I'm normally sleeping to see if anyone is around to give me permission to build.  If this is how you think things should work, it should be supported in the game systems, and you should be putting up proposals for some sort of mandatory communications system to build on someone else's land.  They sail up to the lighthouse, select "apply" on the pinwheel, and fill in a form.  The landlord has a reply, and if they're allowed to build it highlights an area of the island they can build in.

But that wrecks the "anyone can build anywhere" plan, and we're right back to the last claims system with flags settings for permissions to build and nobody liked that.

The way it looks though is they want bigger tribes to act as admins for the smaller tribes to keep them happy. So if somebody does something a bigger tribe with demo rights can fix it will take workload off of grapeshot. So if you are admin of the island and you see somebody exploiting and ruining my good time you would know how to get a grapeshot employee to come take care of it. You will also know how to get the proof they will want after you get a few of them deleted. Which is again you doing the job for the GM so they don't need as many of them.

For finding a spot to build you will have the ability to take a smaller island as a solo player. For the bigger islands it might be tricky but I have players all over the world so usually have somebody on. As do most bigger tribes. I like the idea of apply like you put an app in. I really like that like I could work that into my idea post as a hey this area is an area I want somebody to build on. The area would be marked with a lighthouse and the lighthouse could be a flag that flag is your area if approved then the tribe that owns the island can't delete your stuff only the flag. Then it's 4 day decay so people have time to get their stuff out. I kinda just brainstormed on the post XD

~Lotus

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lotus said:

The way it looks though is they want bigger tribes to act as admins for the smaller tribes to keep them happy. So if somebody does something a bigger tribe with demo rights can fix it will take workload off of grapeshot. So if you are admin of the island and you see somebody exploiting and ruining my good time you would know how to get a grapeshot employee to come take care of it. You will also know how to get the proof they will want after you get a few of them deleted. Which is again you doing the job for the GM so they don't need as many of them.

For finding a spot to build you will have the ability to take a smaller island as a solo player. For the bigger islands it might be tricky but I have players all over the world so usually have somebody on. As do most bigger tribes. I like the idea of apply like you put an app in. I really like that like I could work that into my idea post as a hey this area is an area I want somebody to build on. The area would be marked with a lighthouse and the lighthouse could be a flag that flag is your area if approved then the tribe that owns the island can't delete your stuff only the flag. Then it's 4 day decay so people have time to get their stuff out. I kinda just brainstormed on the post XD

~Lotus

I don't know if they intended it to go that far, but who knows?  (Unless you have some information about it that I don't)  It's kind of a leap from having a landlord in charge of an island to having mega-landlords policing other companies with a direct line to Grapeshot CS.  I mentioned in another post that game companies really need to be careful with even employee GMs, and that volunteer GMs are incredibly tricky to set up right.  The possibilities for favoritism and abuse are huge.  And, you know, you may be the perfect kind of person for that, but you can't base a game on one guy.  All those people need to be vetted and you've got to have strong policies in place for them.   The bigger companies are being held up as the current "winners" of the game, and to have them policing the rest of the players ...you can imagine how people will feel about that.

That application idea was put up sort of tongue-in-cheek.   It IS very close to what's already in place, where players have to go around looking for already claimed spots and checking to see if the flag is set to build or no-build.  It just adds a communication element to that.  But people aren't happy with that idea in general, so it wasn't meant as a real solution to the claims problem.  I still think people just need to be able to have a spot that they own, and they won't be happy until they get one.

I keep trying to run my suggestions through a filter of "how would I feel about this as a big company?  a small company?  a solo?  A new player starting on a full server?   What would the experience be like?" , etc. 

I like the idea of apply like you put an app in. I really like that like I could work that into my idea post as a hey this area is an area I want somebody to build on. 

So that's the view from one of the bigger companies.  I think the view is different for some of those other groups.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I don't know if they intended it to go that far, but who knows?  (Unless you have some information about it that I don't)  It's kind of a leap from having a landlord in charge of an island to having mega-landlords policing other companies with a direct line to Grapeshot CS.  I mentioned in another post that companies really need to be careful with even employee GMs, and that volunteer GMs are incredibly tricky to set up right.  The possibilities for favoritism and abuse are huge.  And, you know, you may be the perfect kind of person for that, but you can't base a game on one guy.  All those people need to be vetted and you've got to have strong policies in place for them.   The bigger companies are being held up as the current "winners" of the game, and to have them policing the rest of the players ...you can imagine how people will feel about that.

That application idea was put up sort of tongue-in-cheek.   It IS very close to what's already in place, where players have to go around looking for already claimed spots and checking to see if the flag is set to build or no-build.  It just adds a communication element to that.  But people aren't happy with that idea in general, so it wasn't meant as a real solution to the claims problem.  I still think people just need to be able to have a spot that they own, and they won't be happy until they get one.

I keep trying to run my suggestions through a filter of "how would I feel about this as a big company?  a small company?  a solo?  A new player starting on a full server?   What would the experience be like?" , etc. 

I like the idea of apply like you put an app in. I really like that like I could work that into my idea post as a hey this area is an area I want somebody to build on. 

So that's the view from one of the bigger companies.  I think the view is different for some of those other groups.

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out a way to make it so that it is efficient for the Grapeshot team, fair for everybody, and fun to play. This land thing has been a problem since launch and I want to find a fix that will become what defines the game. I am going to add more to my post you've added more to the vision I have 😄

I also want a list of Pirate Jokes told by the GM's like in WoW.

Why did Illidan not eat dinner? It was not prepared!

Why don't pirates shower before they walk the plank? Cause they will just wash up on shore. 😄

~Lotus

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out a way to make it so that it is efficient for the Grapeshot team, fair for everybody, and fun to play. This land thing has been a problem since launch and I want to find a fix that will become what defines the game. I am going to add more to my post you've added more to the vision I have 😄

I think things have gotten overly complex and out of hand.  It might be a good idea to remember what started all this and go back to the beginning.

I think it's great to have a place to talk about overall game ideas and feature expansion, but not a great idea to combine that with this first critical issue that needs to be addressed.  

Players were complaining that they couldn't find a piece of land to claim.  They also complained about griefing and pillar/foundation spam.  Nearly all of them just wanted a cap on claims to free up enough land for everyone to find a claim.  

That solution is more efficient for Grapeshot than implementing some complex system of a cap with owners, renters, build-everywhere, discourage lawless.  (And then having to deal with the fact that this does not eliminate the complaints about griefing and spam or the complaints about people not being able to own land)

That solution is also more fair for everybody than setting up a system with owners/renters and leaving the policing to the players themselves.  What could be more fair than letting everyone own a claim?

Fun to play?  The players complained that they weren't having fun if they couldn't claim land and the spam wasn't fun either.  Any solution that doesn't fix those is still not going to be fun for those players.

A lot of these future design ideas hang off the claims structure.  Doesn't mean it's bad to blue sky some of this stuff, but until the claims structure is really fixed, it's not so productive to plan out the rest.  We don't agree on the solution for that yet, so it's hard to participate in a larger design exercise.

6 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

That solution is also more fair for everybody than setting up a system with owners/renters and leaving the policing to the players themselves.  What could be more fair than letting everyone own a claim?

That doesn't seem like it has ever been the intent.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

That doesn't seem like it has ever been the intent.

Doesn't matter, really.  I think the original intent was a global conquest competition.  I think the players figured out pretty quickly they didn't like that idea for pve.  The intent now has to be just to find something that makes the players happy before they all leave.

Back to the drawing board.

26 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I think things have gotten overly complex and out of hand.  It might be a good idea to remember what started all this and go back to the beginning.

I think it's great to have a place to talk about overall game ideas and feature expansion, but not a great idea to combine that with this first critical issue that needs to be addressed.  

Players were complaining that they couldn't find a piece of land to claim.  They also complained about griefing and pillar/foundation spam.  Nearly all of them just wanted a cap on claims to free up enough land for everyone to find a claim.  

That solution is more efficient for Grapeshot than implementing some complex system of a cap with owners, renters, build-everywhere, discourage lawless.  (And then having to deal with the fact that this does not eliminate the complaints about griefing and spam or the complaints about people not being able to own land)

Fun to play?  The players complained that they weren't having fun if they couldn't claim land and the spam wasn't fun either.  Any solution that doesn't fix those is still not going to be fun for those players.

A lot of these future design ideas hang off the claims structure.  Doesn't mean it's bad to blue sky some of this stuff, but until the claims structure is really fixed, it's not so productive to plan out the rest.  We don't agree on the solution for that yet, so it's hard to participate in a larger design exercise.

There's no perfect solution to the problem because everybody wants something different. The claim a whole island seems really good. The problem I have noticed is people think every person is going to get an island. It should be every tribe will get 1 maybe 2 islands and if they are really big tribes 3 maybe 4 islands. To me 4 islands seems like a pain but it's doable and might be required for the highest progression.

One of the problems I see is some players are trying to make it so the ability to share land with other players just becomes a hassle. There's players that don't want to deal with owning land. This puts them in a tough spot.

The basics from the patch are do you want to own land-

Yes- Ok you pay upkeep if you don't you lose your land. You also need enough people to own the island.

No- Find somebody that will let you build on their land.

So to me the owning land thing is fixed with the patch. I am looking for what will the next set of problems be then fix them before they happen. Which talking to you has given me some ideas 😄

~Lotus

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Winter Thorne said:

Back to the drawing board.

4-5 days prior to the PTR release on what has been a 30 day + development push?

Unlikely. 

I think we're pretty much set in stone at this stage that it will be some flavour of one claim per island with the settlement situation.  How the islands are taken/managed/maintained will be the things to be influenced at this point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

Unlikely. 

I think we're pretty much set in stone at this stage that it will be some flavour of one claim per island with the settlement situation.  How the islands are taken/managed/maintained will be the things to be influenced at this point.  

I'm 99% sure it will be 1 claim per island the amount of people in your tribe determines how big of an island you can claim. The PTS will determine upkeep cost. I don't think PTS should even really do anything at this point just wipe the server and test it on live. Not like anybody does much on live now anyway -_-

~Lotus

• Like 2

Just now, Lotus said:

The PTS will determine upkeep cost. I don't think PTS should even really do anything at this point just wipe the server and test it on live. Not like anybody does much on live now anyway -_-

Assuming they just want to see how quickly we can break things before the re-release... we don't need to relive the first week again.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lotus said:

The basics from the patch are do you want to own land-

Yes- Ok you pay upkeep if you don't you lose your land. You also need enough people to own the island.

No- Find somebody that will let you build on their land.

So to me the owning land thing is fixed with the patch

Not fixed.  1.  They haven't broken the land down into small enough chunks for anyone who wants to own land to have it.  The larger chunks also make it so the upkeep will be too high for smaller groups and solos to have land.  There won't be enough claims for smaller groups and solos anyway.  These are  things that many players said they wanted.  They aren't getting it.  So....not fixed.

13 minutes ago, Lotus said:

So to me the owning land thing is fixed with the patch.

Anyone interested in game design has to drop the "to me" and consider "to everybody".    There are a ton of players who didn't consider that a good solution.  Someone needs to consider them.  You post a lot about what would make you happy, but it would be interesting to see you take a few of these earlier complaint posts and work out what would make them happy.

Here's a question for you -  What if each island of medium or larger size had to be at least 50% non-company tenants, or you lose the claim?  And what if every island had a vote of the tenants each week, where if they were unhappy with the landlord, the landlord had 7 days to pack up and get out?  It shifts/equalizes the power dynamic.  Wouldn't appease the players who just wanted to own land because they wanted to own land, but might help the ones that just didn't want to be at the mercy of overlords.

18 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

Unlikely. 

I'm afraid you're right.  They can only make such a major change so many times before it's just too late and ridiculous to change it again.

It'll end up being a job of how to mitigate all the problems and complaints that's going to bring.  I'm not sure that's possible, or how many players would stick with it through that whole exercise.

• Like 1

See here lies the problem, 

This is my personal opinion as a solo player.  

Do you want to have your own land - yes

Do you want to have a whole island - no

Do you want to rent from someone - no

Do you want someone to police you - no

Do you want to be part of a mega company - no

Do you want to have an upkeep - not really but if it means owning land and no one can build on my couple claims then it’s fine.

How much land do you need - Enough for storage areas, taming pens and 4 shipyards.

Why - because I want what’s fair for one to be fair for all.  

Explain - just because you play the game as a solo player you should be treated no different than someone who plays with 20 of their friends.

What about mega companies - If a person joins a company then what they own becomes part of that company, if that person leaves a company then what they own leaves as well.

So you think this would solve the claim issues - yes 

Explain- by limiting claims per account then that stops flag spamming, that stops pillar spamming and that stops foundations spamming because you can only build within your claim or on someone else’s claim that is set to public building 

• Like 2

I really thought when I saw the landlord/tenant thing it would be IDK something like the game Wurm Unlimited where you got a settlement token and could expand depending on finances. I am NOT interested in being a tenant or a slave. Also I am a solo player and I will NEVER join a company I want to do my own thing whenever and however I want. Why does it seem like this is all more complicated than it needs to be? I'm not interested in hoarding land or resources or taxing people to collect resources. I just want a nice spot of land thats mine and maybe if I have a few extra coins or some other criteria and the need to I can expand it. I want  my own settlement where I can have parking for people who want to trade and shops and a tavern-all kinds of stuff. It just feels that because of the way I choose to play I'm being pushed out.  I will just have to wait and see how everything is implemented. If its how I think it will be (solo players getting the shaft) I just won't play anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

Not fixed.  1.  They haven't broken the land down into small enough chunks for anyone who wants to own land to have it.  The larger chunks also make it so the upkeep will be too high for smaller groups and solos to have land.  There won't be enough claims for smaller groups and solos anyway.  These are  things that many players said they wanted.  They aren't getting it.  So....not fixed.

Anyone interested in game design has to drop the "to me" and consider "to everybody".    There are a ton of players who didn't consider that a good solution.  Someone needs to consider them.  You post a lot about what would make you happy, but it would be interesting to see you take a few of these earlier complaint posts and work out what would make them happy.

Here's a question for you -  What if each island of medium or larger size had to be at least 50% non-company tenants, or you lose the claim?  And what if every island had a vote of the tenants each week, where if they were unhappy with the landlord, the landlord had 7 days to pack up and get out?  It shifts/equalizes the power dynamic.  Wouldn't appease the players who just wanted to own land because they wanted to own land, but might help the ones that just didn't want to be at the mercy of overlords.

I'm afraid you're right.  They can only make such a major change so many times before it's just too late and ridiculous to change it again.

It'll end up being a job of how to mitigate all the problems and complaints that's going to bring.  I'm not sure that's possible, or how many players would stick with it through that whole exercise.

I am gonna give you some of the darker side of this game. The land claims need to be divided on a per island basis. The reason for this is that some of the bigger tribes got to their size from not nice means. I haven't played PvE since about 2 weeks before they announced the wipe. I haven't seen it patched yet but there's 4 ways to sink another person's boats, 2 ways to kill tames (in most barns), 1 way to kill players without hacking. There's also 2 ways to remove claims with upkeep. In the top 10 NA-PvE I know 2 tribes actively used some of these to get land from players. The devs can only slow down the tribes that do this they can't stop them. You have a claim that they want they will grief you and force you off of your land by either making the game unplayable or by just removing your claim. The whole island claim is a PvP thing it prevents offlining and naked spam. It does however also solve the trick to breaking PvE flags or atleast make it a lot harder to do if it would still be possible. It's not just those 2 megas either there's 4 smaller tribes I know for a fact do this stuff. I've also heard dozens of other reports of this which really didn't help the game.

They most likely won't chop islands up that will be the job of the landlords. They can't because if they mark it as claimed what happens if other people quit do they delete just their stuff or the whole island? Who determines who goes where cause no way in hell are they going to be equal value pieces. If they really want to have a big island that bad they can form into 1 tribe.

There's more islands that are claimable than people that play this game at this point. A big island might only be 5 people at this rate 😕

When I say to me I am saying I can't find anything wrong with it. I've read a lot of posts on this and other forums for this game and I push forward what I believe would benefit the game as a whole. There's a guy that wants Sundays to be PvP on PvE and he actually had about 50 people agree it would be a good idea. To me that isn't PvE but it worked in Conan why not bring it to Atlas 😕

As for 50% non-company tenants I achieved that about when they made it so you could flip flags to allies can build. I was actually talking to my tribe about how we could get more people on the grid if we gave up the coast flags then we just hold the inner island so people couldn't scum it up. This was actually a suggestion from a guy about a week ago for how the PvE should be made but the problem with that is who determines what should and should not be buildable. As for tenant approval my tenants would actually find more tenants. Then most tenants actually merged into Lotus. So for approval rating I'm not afraid. A system like that can be abused though I can just split half my tribe into tenants then never worry about the vote. As a bigger tribe I can go in as a tenant then just vote the current landlord out.

The trick is to make an unbreakable system 😕

2 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

See here lies the problem, 

This is my personal opinion as a solo player.  

Do you want to have your own land - yes

Do you want to have a whole island - no

Do you want to rent from someone - no

Do you want someone to police you - no

Do you want to be part of a mega company - no

Do you want to have an upkeep - not really but if it means owning land and no one can build on my couple claims then it’s fine.

How much land do you need - Enough for storage areas, taming pens and 4 shipyards.

Why - because I want what’s fair for one to be fair for all.  

Explain - just because you play the game as a solo player you should be treated no different than someone who plays with 20 of their friends.

What about mega companies - If a person joins a company then what they own becomes part of that company, if that person leaves a company then what they own leaves as well.

So you think this would solve the claim issues - yes 

Explain- by limiting claims per account then that stops flag spamming, that stops pillar spamming and that stops foundations spamming because you can only build within your claim or on someone else’s claim that is set to public building 

Unless I read it wrong they are making it so smaller islands can be claimed by solo players.

1 hour ago, Dangergirl Forever said:

I really thought when I saw the landlord/tenant thing it would be IDK something like the game Wurm Unlimited where you got a settlement token and could expand depending on finances. I am NOT interested in being a tenant or a slave. Also I am a solo player and I will NEVER join a company I want to do my own thing whenever and however I want. Why does it seem like this is all more complicated than it needs to be? I'm not interested in hoarding land or resources or taxing people to collect resources. I just want a nice spot of land thats mine and maybe if I have a few extra coins or some other criteria and the need to I can expand it. I want  my own settlement where I can have parking for people who want to trade and shops and a tavern-all kinds of stuff. It just feels that because of the way I choose to play I'm being pushed out.  I will just have to wait and see how everything is implemented. If its how I think it will be (solo players getting the shaft) I just won't play anymore.

*sigh* I looked it up

https://gyazo.com/2512744f0b75dfc018b26d6453145cf2

~Lotus

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I am gonna give you some of the darker side of this game. The land claims need to be divided on a per island basis. The reason for this is that some of the bigger tribes got to their size from not nice means. I haven't played PvE since about 2 weeks before they announced the wipe. I haven't seen it patched yet but there's 4 ways to sink another person's boats, 2 ways to kill tames (in most barns), 1 way to kill players without hacking. There's also 2 ways to remove claims with upkeep. In the top 10 NA-PvE I know 2 tribes actively used some of these to get land from players. The devs can only slow down the tribes that do this they can't stop them. You have a claim that they want they will grief you and force you off of your land by either making the game unplayable or by just removing your claim. The whole island claim is a PvP thing it prevents offlining and naked spam. It does however also solve the trick to breaking PvE flags or atleast make it a lot harder to do if it would still be possible. It's not just those 2 megas either there's 4 smaller tribes I know for a fact do this stuff. I've also heard dozens of other reports of this which really didn't help the game.

I already know it exists.  Not the specific details you gave, but in general, I know that stuff happens.  Where we differ is in what to do about it.

Your solution looks like putting the fox in charge of the hen house to me.  You know this specifically about some of the bigger tribes, yet you want this solution to let them own the most land, be landlords who get to tell people what to do, and make them GMs with a hotline to Grapeshot.

I don't see the sense in it.