Daemon Cross

People left the game ?

Lmao  this is hilarious, the forums lit up because no one could find a place to build, the developers said ok we are going to change that, we are going to implement a system that allows land owners to give permission for people to build via flag system, landowners can choose to change the flags to allow  different players to build.

The forums lit up again, we don’t want to pay taxes or rent or live on someone else’s land, the developers responded again, ok  we are going to do away with claim flags so people can build on top of each other and everyone can build.

Again the forums lit up with hey we don’t want an ark remake and foundation spamming, the developers said ok for Pete’s sake we will once again change the system to make you crybabies happy and now we have a single claim flag per island, which one person owns the entire island, everyone else is still going to deal with foundation spamming, being built right beside, pay taxes, pay a upkeep cost and still have no land of their own.

All any of us has asked for was to limit the number of claim flags a person (account) could own, let’s say 5 claims throughout the entire Atlas Map, not region mind you but map. If companies wanted more land then they would have to recruit more players, companies would be ranked on the size of their companies not size of their claims, which in a sense it’s the same thing. Now for the twist, here is the funny part, you all are going to love this, are you ready because here it goes.... IF YOU ARE INACTIVE for 14 days, then everything you own becomes claimable, the 5 claims no longer belongs to the company because they were based on your account, the ships you owned becomes claimable, your tames become claimable. Whatever was associated with your account in game is gone and if you choose to start playing again, then guess what you are starting over.

lmao and we wonder why the player base keeps dropping, it’s not because the developers don’t listen to us, it’s because we are morons and keep asking for the wrong stuff, who would have figured.

Am I right @Jatheish and @Dollie ?

Edited by Daemon Cross
  • Like 6

there have been So Many posted requesting a claim flag limit since day one. Devs still not listening.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

All any of us has asked for was to limit the number of claim flags a person (account) could own, let’s say 5 claims throughout the entire

this 100% ,why the devs cant see this i don't know , they despite their posts are not listening to what the forams is trying to say to them ...

Edited by UDO
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

Lmao  this is hilarious, the forums lit up because no one could find a place to build, the developers said ok we are going to change that, we are going to implement a system that allows land owners to give permission for people to build via flag system, landowners can choose to change the flags to allow  different players to build.

The forums lit up again, we don’t want to pay taxes or rent or live on someone else’s land, the developers responded again, ok  we are going to do away with claim flags so people can build on top of each other and everyone can build.

Again the forums lit up with hey we don’t want an ark remake and foundation spamming, the developers said ok for Pete’s sake we will once again change the system to make you crybabies happy and now we have a single claim flag per island, which one person owns the entire island, everyone else is still going to deal with foundation spamming, being built right beside, pay taxes, pay a upkeep cost and still have no land of their own.

All any of us has asked for was to limit the number of claim flags a person (account) could own, let’s say 5 claims throughout the entire Atlas Map, not region mind you but map. If companies wanted more land then they would have to recruit more players, companies would be ranked on the size of their companies not size of their claims, which in a sense it’s the same thing. Now for the twist, here is the funny part, you all are going to love this, are you ready because here it goes.... IF YOU ARE INACTIVE for 14 days, then everything you own becomes claimable, the 5 claims no longer belongs to the company because they were based on your account, the ships you owned becomes claimable, your tames become claimable. Whatever was associated with your account in game is gone and if you choose to start playing again, then guess what you are starting over.

lmao and we wonder why the player base keeps dropping, it’s not because the developers don’t listen to us, it’s because we are morons and keep asking for the wrong stuff, who would have figured.

Everybody has a system they think should be based on how they play. I believe 1 flag per company in certain zones. When you get a powerstone your company unlocks another area they can drop another flag. Eventually leading up to the areas around the Kraken only being claimable by people that have all the powerstones. The islands that are only for companies with the powerstones would damage boats and do damage (like being too hot/cold) if you didn't have the powerstone that matches the area it is too much for you to be there and your ship sinks and you die. So why would you want to progress into these zones.Mats would stack like a resource chest and remove the different types of mats needed for BP's and make them stupid expensive (legendary plank 50k wood each). Every further powerstone area would have more mats dropping and make it so you can carry more. The island outside the Kraken would be like 10x resources. The levels of monsters would scale crazy like. So you would progress further and actually have meaningful progression...

This isn't how the game is though... (I'd play the hell out of that game though 😄.) This is also just how I would want the game to be. Somebody that doesn't care about PvE progression would be like that is a terrible idea, people from my company would be like oh hell yeah no stones = no land. The thing is everybody thinks they are right and in a way everybody is right they get pissed cause they are right and by proxy the other people are wrong... That is where the problem is. This makes people like @Jatheish and @Dollie have a job that is impossible with how things are currently. Land is just 1 of many problems with this game they are trying to address.

~Lotus

• Like 4

I can live with a certain amount of flags what i can't live with is what it was like before, running around spamming flags.

I don't want to fight for land, that's PVP, they should still have unlimited flags there to keep people happy but PVE no.

If they scrap the idea and go back to flag spamming, kiss goodbye to more players and nobody will be back.

Danny did you play Ark ? I tried but never could get into it, the reason I ask is that a lot of people have repeatedly said that pillar and foundation spamming ruined that game. I guess it’s like flag spamming has ruined this one.  

Part of the problem is the fact that the player base can't come to a consensus on what number  of claims is reasonable, so everything is all over the board.

In the past few weeks, I've seen everything from 1 claim per company, to 5  claims per person.

Any cap would have to ensure that :

A: There is enough room to build the necessities, and doesn't completely screw over the solo players, which eliminates 1 claim per company, and 1 claim per person.

B: That there is enough land for everyone, which eliminates the highs like 5 claims per person, since a 250 person company would have 1250 claims again.

The system should be based on company size, but not directly tied to the exact number of people in the company which both inhibits small/solo companies, as well as allowing large companies to control vast swaths of the map again.

I know most of you have seen the math breakdowns that I've thrown in a couple other threads, (10 claims for companies under 25 members, 25 claims for companies 25-100 members, 50 claims for companies over 100 members) and I've gone over it a few times, and it still makes the most sense, and leaves the most land free for new players.

With a bit more tweaking like 10 claims for under 50 members, 25 claims for companies 50-125 members, and 50 claims for companies 125-250 members, so that every breakdown has a max of 5 company members per claim...or halving the original numbers to 5/15/25 claims per company size, the system could stay balanced, not overly penalize any company size, and leave huge amounts of land open for anyone who wants it, without needing to rent.

But, all this is academic, as it seems that Grapeshot is unwilling, or unable, to implement something along these lines. I have no idea which is the case, I just know that the past few weeks of the cycle of Player Complaints / Grapeshot Acknowledgement of Complaint / Player Excitement that Our Voices Are Being Heard / Captains Log with Complete Opposite of Expectations of Fix / Cycle Starts Again...has damn near completely killed any enthusiasm that I, and judging from the dwindling number of different people posting, and the overall tone of the posts, a whole lot of other people had for Atlas.

• Like 4

A limit on claim flags would indeed be nice for pve. I think 2 claim flags for one person will be enough. If they make them a bit bigger, maybe like the size of sea claim. But also put a hard cap for the big company's something like 75. I think with 75 flags a big company will have space enough for everyone. 
Or even something different, i like the idea behind owning a island, you have to admit that it sounds cool. But it's not something that can really works in pve, since everyone wants a spot of their own. That way your more sure of your base, your stuff. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

Part of the problem is the fact that the player base can't come to a consensus on what number  of claims is reasonable, so everything is all over the board.

In the past few weeks, I've seen everything from 1 claim per company, to 5  claims per person.

Any cap would have to ensure that :

A: There is enough room to build the necessities, and doesn't completely screw over the solo players, which eliminates 1 claim per company, and 1 claim per person.

B: That there is enough land for everyone, which eliminates the highs like 5 claims per person, since a 250 person company would have 1250 claims again.

The system should be based on company size, but not directly tied to the exact number of people in the company which both inhibits small/solo companies, as well as allowing large companies to control vast swaths of the map again.

I know most of you have seen the math breakdowns that I've thrown in a couple other threads, (10 claims for companies under 25 members, 25 claims for companies 25-100 members, 50 claims for companies over 100 members) and I've gone over it a few times, and it still makes the most sense, and leaves the most land free for new players.

With a bit more tweaking like 10 claims for under 50 members, 25 claims for companies 50-125 members, and 50 claims for companies 125-250 members, so that every breakdown has a max of 5 company members per claim...or halving the original numbers to 5/15/25 claims per company size, the system could stay balanced, not overly penalize any company size, and leave huge amounts of land open for anyone who wants it, without needing to rent.

But, all this is academic, as it seems that Grapeshot is unwilling, or unable, to implement something along these lines. I have no idea which is the case, I just know that the past few weeks of the cycle of Player Complaints / Grapeshot Acknowledgement of Complaint / Player Excitement that Our Voices Are Being Heard / Captains Log with Complete Opposite of Expectations of Fix / Cycle Starts Again...has damn near completely killed any enthusiasm that I, and judging from the dwindling number of different people posting, and the overall tone of the posts, a whole lot of other people had for Atlas.

You know I’ve seen your post and honestly you always seem to be thinking and I appreciate that and the suggestions you’ve made.

The claim system is the largest issue the game has at the moment, there are countless other issues that people are dealing with but the land issues are at the top.  With your lastest thoughts, people would be ahead to stay solo in order to accumulate the most claims, “5 per small company of 10 members or less” a solo player would still be considered a small company.  So along the same lines as I said.  In fact by joining a large company the group is hindering themselves on how much land they could have if they were solo or 10 and less then just met on discord to do group content.  I don’t know how many claims are available on the beach around each island, I had two claims and was comfortable with that to build a base, taming pen and have a little room to each side, however I also had two claims in the water in front of my base to stop griefers from buildingand to allow building of my docks and shipyard and one sea claim in front of that. For the just in case they come up with something else.

And your also right, they are killing off the pve player base, they are listening to pvp players trying to decide what would work for pve and they have no idea.

We all keep repeating ourselves until most of us have just gave up, we’ve been beat and admit defeat. Just take out the pve side of the game and let those dedicated to pve just go on to another game.

I’m sailing around looking at peoples bases, checking out the ships and just thinking how sad it is that a game with such potential died so early. On a positive note, I’m able to claim all kinds of tames and land now. I don’t have to do any work at all on the tames

28 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

You know I’ve seen your post and honestly you always seem to be thinking and I appreciate that and the suggestions you’ve made.

The claim system is the largest issue the game has at the moment, there are countless other issues that people are dealing with but the land issues are at the top.  With your lastest thoughts, people would be ahead to stay solo in order to accumulate the most claims, “5 per small company of 10 members or less” a solo player would still be considered a small company.  So along the same lines as I said.  In fact by joining a large company the group is hindering themselves on how much land they could have if they were solo or 10 and less then just met on discord to do group content.  I don’t know how many claims are available on the beach around each island, I had two claims and was comfortable with that to build a base, taming pen and have a little room to each side, however I also had two claims in the water in front of my base to stop griefers from buildingand to allow building of my docks and shipyard and one sea claim in front of that. For the just in case they come up with something else.

And your also right, they are killing off the pve player base, they are listening to pvp players trying to decide what would work for pve and they have no idea.

We all keep repeating ourselves until most of us have just gave up, we’ve been beat and admit defeat. Just take out the pve side of the game and let those dedicated to pve just go on to another game.

I’m sailing around looking at peoples bases, checking out the ships and just thinking how sad it is that a game with such potential died so early. On a positive note, I’m able to claim all kinds of tames and land now. I don’t have to do any work at all on the tames

Aye, that everyone would just stay solo and collect their 5, or 10 claims, was something I had considered. But, in the end I figured that the benefits of being in a small company (shared resources, shared tames,  shared ships, etc) would mitigate the amount of people that would go pure solo.

Not sure on that one, I played solo until the announcement and I’ve managed to acquire tames, build ships and gather my own resources, which having a team member would have made all of them a lot faster though I’m not sure where a friend from another company couldn’t have done the same as a company member. The only difference is that they wouldn’t have access to use my ships or tames but then again that would inspire more team work then what it would by  someone who would join a company just to have access to use ships, tames and resources. Let someone else do the legwork and take full advantage of their kindness. ( yeah I have trust issues).

In pvp I can see the need for large companies and people who get online at regular times to raid, pillage and plunder. For the pve aspect of the game, crew can man the cannons and sails of your ship can even sail the ship if you set it up. Tames gather resources and fight with you or on their own against the environment.  The need for large companies in PVE is kinda overrated in my opinion. Yeah they can spread out and take claims,  they can get together to do end game content that most solo players will never experience on their own but with the Alliance we had in game solo players were able to participate with group events and it was working out good.   So who messed it up for all of us ???

7 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

Danny did you play Ark ? I tried but never could get into it, the reason I ask is that a lot of people have repeatedly said that pillar and foundation spamming ruined that game. I guess it’s like flag spamming has ruined this one.  

No i have never played Ark, i never even bothered to watch people play it either which is probably why it doesn't bother me as much in Atlas, same games apparently.

I hope they solve it, as i say i can live with limited flags but not flag spamming again. If it goes back to that then that's it for me.

An MMO is not the same as a sandbox base for servers and modders to make work how they see fit.

An MMO requires a lead developer with a desired path/vision for the game and the ability to assess feedback from the community as it compares to the overall vision. 

An MMO cannot flip and flop at every breath of hot air which comes out of this side or that of the community.

41 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

An MMO is not the same as a sandbox base for servers and modders to make work how they see fit.

An MMO requires a lead developer with a desired path/vision for the game and the ability to assess feedback from the community as it compares to the overall vision. 

An MMO cannot flip and flop at every breath of hot air which comes out of this side or that of the community.

You are right, there has to be a direction and normally the player base determines that direction if the developers want the game to succeed. You can not constantly adjust the game mechanics based on a few differences of opinion but from what the game started with and what it has now is most definitely the wrong direction.

Now one voice has been heard over every thing else in the game, that one voice that rang out each time another player quit, each time a patch was released, each time they added something else to the game. 

It’s that voice that still echoes among the remaining pve players!!! Do you know what that voice is saying ? Because I do, here is a hint : Read back through the forums and see what topics are most talked about ? It may take some time since over 90% of the players base in pve has left because they were never heard. 

Edited by Daemon Cross

1 minute ago, Daemon Cross said:

Do you know what that voice is ? 

No.

But my comment was actually meant to illustrate that it literally does not matter what that voice is. If the devs don't have a distinct direction they want to proceed they will spin in circles if they listen to the voices. The gaming community is pretty damned diverse (possibly a better term here is DIVERGENT). Whether it be 40,000 players, 10,000 players or 10,000,000 players.. if they pick a direction and proceed with slight tests and adjustments based on feedback, they will find a playerbase. If they flip and flop like they are, they will generally just end up pissing off everyone.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MisterMyztik said:

No.

But my comment was actually meant to illustrate that it literally does not matter what that voice is. If the devs don't have a distinct direction they want to proceed they will spin in circles if they listen to the voices. The gaming community is pretty damned diverse (possibly a better term here is DIVERGENT). Whether it be 40,000 players, 10,000 players or 10,000,000 players.. if they pick a direction and proceed with slight tests and adjustments based on feedback, they will find a playerbase. If they flip and flop like they are, they will generally just end up pissing off everyone.

Got to agree with that  I've had the same feeling about it myself. Its as if they're pandering  to everyone.

When i watch the first Twitch stream i got the sense there also, no direction and no planning. It was as if they just got together on a Friday night to have a few drinks.

I don't think it will turn out well long term, I want it to but my sense says no.

• Like 1

You have to have some faith in them, yeah they keep tweaking the game trying to find that sweet spot that works for everyone, yeah I’d say the idea of this probably started over a few drinks and some of the decisions then after probably came about after a lot of drinks. They are working on all the issues I have often gave them credit for that and I know they may have to break a few eggs before that sweetness will come. 

I’m still here along with others, I still play every day that I can, at times not as long as I want but still I’m in there still dealing with what was left behind and still needs work.

I lost my 2nd Brig today because for some unknown reason to me the crew left the cannons and the SOTD was near death.  Easy come easy go, I started building a new one even knowing that the servers are going to be wiped. 

I have my opinions and you have yours and I enjoy reading the replies, at times it brings a new point of view that I hadn’t thought of or looked at. I’m not going to say one is right and the other is wrong, it all depends on how you perceive the issues and proposed fixes.

But keep the replies coming, I look forward to reading more

The one thing i worry about is resources not spawning. When this began it was a HUGE issue in the game. I don't think they understand that what they are doing is going to hurt the game more. Imagine how many bases can be now on one island without a claim system in place. 

It's not the fact that allowing people to build on an island and getting your space...its the fact that as it currently stands, greifing can be a HUGE issue at the start.

Well listen to you people I'd be drinking too if I had to read this shit all day.. lol Nah I'm playing I love you guys..

Edited by madmartigan

people go away and come back, it's normal for a game ... for me i wait the wipe for come back 

4 hours ago, ReilanT said:

people go away and come back, it's normal for a game ... for me i wait the wipe for come back 

I'm in the same boat (excuse the pun)

I stopped playing near the beginning when I sailed to go through alot of grids coming up against big red circles on the map, there was just no land. I don't have time to run in every grid looking for a small pokey piece of land, I'm a busy man.

Me and people I know are coming back into the game now they are changing this, I expect to see alot more people now land is available again.

Edited by MrMagoo

So there is another game that has a resource box that also is a building blocker. It has a radius you can see and takes resources to prevent decay to your buildings in that area and stops others from building. IT is basically a flag it works well and in the pve version of that game walls are not really used because they are not needed and it looks pretty clean because of that. However in this game we would have to have hard limits or people would surely troll each other with them.  I would have a nice smaller base in atlas if I could keep my pets safe with out having to do experiment doing crazy things every time a slightly broken system allows them to die from multiple issues. Give us safer ways to protect our tames, give us the basic materials on every island so our home on  1 island on a server keeps us there instead of having a base for thatch on one a base for metal on another and so on. the system set up for more rare craftables is great and gets us to go explore so that want slow down.  There are several other things that can be done to limit why people build as much as they do in this game and some kind of building blocker/ resource drain box I think can help. With the wipe I really hope we don't get more flags in this game if we do it should still be made specific with pve in mind instead of copy paste pvp. The 12 hour window of destroying building on your island in pve is a troll mechanic and would not encourage building at all and for the owner of the island it would be a part time job to troll their island to prevent trolls. Let a lone not even bringing up the Chinese and U.S. rivalry that this would surly make worse.

Edited by Yomaz

They do have a goal for claims, and they have talked about it from the beginning.

They want landowners and tenants.

It's the balance of giving each pro's and con's, they've not got right yet.

I'm at least going to give the new system a shot, Wether I get to own an island or not.

If you want land become a governor, if not a tenant. If that imagining of a south seas island is in your mind overlords and slaves is that the fault of the devs or your own perception. 

Or if you don't like that sort of order you could you know, play a pirate, I know it's an outlandish idea, but roving the seas from lawless to civilised islands could be the life for you.

The above sounds like a good game, I think i'll go play it.

• Confused 1