Robotukas

How you will do 1 flag per island system?

The problem is going to be balance.

This system is designed for PVP. The player or company who claims an island has to pay, through the Tax Bank, an upkeep on the island flag. They however do not have to pay upkeep on their structures. The upkeep cost is going to be based on Island size, number of resources and number of claims owned. 

Now in theory, this upkeep is supposed to be more than anything but the largest companies can reasonably afford on their own. Thu the island will need to be opened up for settlement by other players. Those other players will have to pay upkeep on their own structures so their contributions will probably only be the tax rate on harvesting. 

BUT, it’s also PVP. So players still need to build defenses against raiding, repair after being raided, and with the War system, be able to defend the whole island. Which means that the upkeep costs cannot be to restrictive.

This system, WHICH WAS NOT INTENDED FOR PVE, is being implemented in PVE. Without raiding and Wars, the upkeep costs might become trivial for companies. 

I think you will find far more islands locked out as company only and more companies owning more islands on PVE than in PVP. Add to that in PVE their isn’t a way to take a claim from someone unless they fail to pay upkeep, Once claimed, you won’t see islands changing hands. 

Unfortunately, regardless of how much players complain or want a different system in PVE, they are not going to have different system between PVP and PVE. If we want claims, it’s going to be this system. We are not going to get anything that doesn’t work for PvP also. 

• Like 1

The trick on PVE is going to be setting island upkeep high enough that medium sized companies will need help to pay upkeep on their first island and set the multiplier high enough that even the largest companies need help on their 2nd claim. 3rd claim should be cost prohibitive for everyone.

3 minutes ago, Captain Trenchard said:

The trick on PVE is going to be setting island upkeep high enough that medium sized companies will need help to pay upkeep on their first island and set the multiplier high enough that even the largest companies need help on their 2nd claim. 3rd claim should be cost prohibitive for everyone.

And this just because we ask for it? Nobody will say "I ask for this" i guess.

But it will make the approach to intentionally turning Island in shitholes valid, because with this upkeep, nobody will claim a shithole, and i can enjoy my tax and upkeep free island!

Oh wait, maybe i ask for it? Yeah i do herewith!

We asked for a fix to everything being claimed and having no where to build except lawless. 

That, on PVE became everything will be lawless.

Enough people complained, no no no , we must have claims. 

So we got the claim system designed for PVP.

Now A way has to be found to make it work in PvE where it wasn’t supposed to be in the first place.

The way to make that work on PvE is to somehow FORCE the claim owners to actually manage their claims and NEED players to help them. Bad owners won’t have players willing to help and won’t be able to pay the upkeep and thus won’t be able to keep their claim. Or so goes the theory.

I honestly don’t think it’s going to work. And there’s enough players who refuse to live under a landlord that nothing is actually going to be solved.

But face facts. Single claim flags are gone. If, at some point they have to bring them back, it will require another server wipe. 

I'll be hoping to become a landlord.

But I want the upkeep to be huge:

I want it too take up most of my time gathering to pay it. (Solo)

I want to have to apologize to my first tenant that the tax has to be high until others come along.

I want the relief of being able to lower taxes as conditions improve and a community begins to solidify on the island.

That kind of challenge will offset the chore of being the islands admin.

1 hour ago, Jack Shandy said:

I'll be hoping to become a landlord.

But I want the upkeep to be huge:

I want it too take up most of my time gathering to pay it. (Solo)

I want to have to apologize to my first tenant that the tax has to be high until others come along.

I want the relief of being able to lower taxes as conditions improve and a community begins to solidify on the island.

That kind of challenge will offset the chore of being the islands admin.

How long are you planning to do the JOB?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Captain Trenchard said:

I honestly don’t think it’s going to work. And there’s enough players who refuse to live under a landlord that nothing is actually going to be solved.

I am one of those players. I am living in lawless now and I will just make a mad dash for my old spot after the wipe. Its a nice spot and I have everything I need to build a little base, some ships and do some nice tames. I did have a look at non-lawless islands, but I have decided I am not going to take the risk of building there and have it taken down by an island owner that wants to troll, and then also miss out on my old lawless spot because I was focused on another place.

Edited by Wolff
  • Thanks 1

With the island idea, there needs to be a mutual agreement, you help with the upkeep and  there's a buff in it for you, increase gold, resources something.

Also to lighten the load, allow people to live on their ships, were pirates at the end of the day. There should be a risk vs reward. Can set it as home which it increases it's carry weight a  bit and bit more health but because you have everything on the ship, if that sinks, your pretty much screwed. I would rather temp stop on a lawless, setup a ship and leave exploring stopping for resources, i rather not leave on an island tbh

• Thanks 1

The system will work once solo players, small and big companies will have benefits but with a reasonable progression. I like the idea of the island owner but it must be elected to by player from different companies and not just one company. Also, companies have lived on the island for more like 2 weeks on the same island. Same as candidates to be landlord must be lived for more than two weeks. It complicated to make something like this but it will make game mechanic more interesting.

• Sad 1

Get read of the tax building, Biggest problems, have been people blocking anywhere to come in and setup two shipyards and place a trap to tame any animals.  People building over exploration areas and blocking minerals, blocking people from getting a ship out of a ship yard, Placing post under the water to rip out the hull of other players ships. Makes it look on the one end OK. But it isn't ok in PvE, This is PVE not PVP. Big Organizations Take over the game Drives away anyone new or smaller organization that only wants to get together and have a good time. All your doing is rewarding the people that want not only to take over the game, but play a bunch of politics outside the game Trolling anyone else in a game of PVE. ( As I said ( ALL THAT IS FINE IN PVP ( IN PVE YOUR DIVING AWAY PEOPLE FROM THE GAME, ALL THE TAX BUILDING DOES IN PVE IS SAY I GOT HERE FIRST BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN HERE LONGER IN THE GAME (PVP YOU CAN FIGHT OVER IT (PVE YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE TO IN THE FIRST PLACE )

Biggest issues are the PVP  playing in the PVE game. doesn't matter how many inland's you put in, You block the game off to the biggest organizations and their politic's your driving away the potential for most players

Edited by John Profit
miss spelled PVe

On 3/13/2019 at 9:45 AM, Captain Trenchard said:

We asked for a fix to everything being claimed and having no where to build except lawless. 

That, on PVE became everything will be lawless.

Enough people complained, no no no , we must have claims. 

So we got the claim system designed for PVP.

Now A way has to be found to make it work in PvE where it wasn’t supposed to be in the first place.

The way to make that work on PvE is to somehow FORCE the claim owners to actually manage their claims and NEED players to help them. Bad owners won’t have players willing to help and won’t be able to pay the upkeep and thus won’t be able to keep their claim. Or so goes the theory.

But face facts. Single claim flags are gone. If, at some point they have to bring them back, it will require another server wipe. 

PVE is not PVP The tax thing is one big bad ides only good for big organizations that drive away smaller organizations and individuals out of the game completly. Taxation is Just adding to the bigger problems that already exist That are PVP play in PVE to begin with WTF

Everyone seems to complain about being taxed. Then they state that the largest part of gathering is transporting the materials. So being taxed ain't much of a burden.

And people don't gather for 1/2 hour and go, "i wish i'd got more", they gather the amount they need, irrespective of the time it takes.

After the wipe you can build anywhere, so pick a spot and build, the only thing that'll stop you is if you or the landlord is a 'dick' and with most landlords wanting your taxes to help pay the upkeep it'll either happen rarely or every single time, depending on who's the 'dick'.

17 hours ago, John Profit said:

PVE is not PVP The tax thing is one big bad ides only good for big organizations that drive away smaller organizations and individuals out of the game completly. Taxation is Just adding to the bigger problems that already exist That are PVP play in PVE to begin with WTF

No PVE is not PVP. The solution was to NOT PUT CLAIMS IN PVE. I’m not saying this was a good solution, simply that it’s what was being planned when the new claim system for PVP was being developed. When the PVE community complained (loudly), we got the PVP designed claim system. Again, not saying this is a good thing. But if you follow the progression it’s not unreasonable to see WHY.

What is unreasonable is to expect two different systems between PVP and PVE. They are not going to do that.

For the moment, meaning following the wipe, this is what we’re going to get. I fully expect that it will change over time. It’s a system that wasn’t designed to work for PVE so they’ll have to make changes... but don’t expect changes that don’t also work for PVP (except things like the raid times that can be disabled on one or the other).

As far as the tax bank goes,  it will be staying for the time being... you cannot claim an island without first placing one in the current planned system.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:23 AM, Captain Trenchard said:

The problem is going to be balance.

This system is designed for PVP. (cut for focus)

This is the heart of the issue, but it is not really balance that is the core problem, it is coding. They have one code team writing code, and that code is based on PVP, because the focus is PVP to make it a sell-able game to the hordes who want to kill people.

PVE is added to make an attempt to make a game for those who do not want to kill people. IF a issue comes up in PVE coding that cause a problem in PVP , then that issue is erased so that PVP continues.  IF an issue in PVP causes a problem in PVE , such is life, live with it.

Since they will not develop two separate games, but one PVP game in which they can put 'coded switches' in it for a PVE game based on a PVP game. PVE will always be a 2nd rate version of the PVP game.

Which also makes the code bloated, two games in one. Which makes the code redundant, and redundancy gives many, many chances for error, accidents, weird effects.

So, settlements in PVP have a set of rules that are coded, and with PVP rule set, I.E. anyone can destroy anything, King of the Mountain type rules.

How does one recode that in rule set that anyone cannot destroy anything, King of the Mountain is the name of a raft?

PVP comes with cures to many coding issues in it's basic code of anyone can kill anyone, any thing... whereas PVE has no such cure. 

Pillar spamming in PVP,  kill the spammer, kill the pillars problem solved...

Pillar spamming in PVE.. learn to live with it for there is no code coming to fix it ever (based on current coding of Atlas)