Robotukas

How you will do 1 flag per island system?

I believe that they can’t fix overlapping issue with flags when you have a lot flags. This is a reason why they add one flag per island. So we have two option.

Option 1. No flags at all and everyone can build everywhere. Which is not ideal.

Option 2. Have one flag per island. So now we need to help them shape system how one flag per island would work.

Please post ideas how you would like to improve one flag per island system. Please discuss topic realated question.

Many thanks

Edited by Robotukas
  • Sad 1

I believe is supposed to be difficult to own island. It must be done with couple companies. It should be some quest chain and conditions. For example you need 5 companies and 10 players so you can place flag. This just my opinion. Companies who already connected to flag can’t have another flag.

I am sure you can come up with something better.

I've thought the same reason for why they wouldn't just add claim limits which would be the easiest solutions. The problem is this system leaves the renters at the mercy of whoever owners the island, something that has turned many people off. That is why lawless had so many people and I don't see the renting system becoming all that popular in the near future. If they do go this route and want to push a renting system then they need to make regulation and laws or "Contract" to ensure that renters don't get exploited, maybe landlord gets punished for just kicking someone off the land but then this makes it easy for people to grief landowners. I'm not sure how this problem could be fixed, that is why everyone wanted limit claims so everyone can own there own part of the map.

Owning the island I think should take work but then again this work against small companies/sole players which I think will continue to work against the game ever really increase its population. No matter the mechanic for claiming, I think they need to add in a voting system or a trade war system (resource and gold) so ownership of the island can be contested but any feature like this will just ensure the big companies end up owning everything which puts us back in the same problem we have now. So why even bother changing the system we have?

They are not going to listen to any of these ideas. At all. They just showed us that. In all it's glorious wall of text form. All the suggestions and ideas and complaining that the community has given or done we have handed them on a forum silver platter. They completely disregarded all of it and went a different direction.

Edited by Eve BlackVeil
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, Eve BlackVeil said:

They are not going to listen to any of these ideas. At all. They just showed us that. In all it's glorious wall of text form. All the suggestions and ideas and complaining that the community has given or done we have handed them on a forum silver platter. They completely disregarded all of it and went a different direction.

They are listening and we see that they do changes. More flags you have in server more server resources it use and on top that server must calculate how many items (building peaces, ships, ...) withing each flag range. Flag system is very complicated and you need to find balance to improve server performance and minimize bugs

Edited by Robotukas

2 hours ago, Eve BlackVeil said:

Well they certainly listened to the people that left in droves.

They also have to get people back into the game, not just appease forum fans.

I wasn't happy the flag spamming to start with, i'll just see how it turns out first, before i decide.

1 hour ago, Robotukas said:

They are listening and we see that they do changes. More flags you have in server more server resources it use and on top that server must calculate how many items (building peaces, ships, ...) withing each flag range. Flag system is very complicated and you need to find balance to improve server performance and minimize bugs

You are missing the point that they told us they were listening to us (about the claiming system). They told us that numerous times. Where did anyone mention their claiming idea was like the PVP server?

so before 1 man can claim an entire island alone .. with claim

now 1 man can claim all an island!  OOOOOOOooook devs!

can you please go get à brain please ...

1 hour ago, Eve BlackVeil said:

You are missing the point that they told us they were listening to us (about the claiming system). They told us that numerous times. Where did anyone mention their claiming idea was like the PVP server?

But in the topic I would like yo hear more about changes not complains. If you will do 1 flag per Island how you will do? 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Eve BlackVeil said:

I wont do. I will live on Lawless.

Thanks for being active. Please post ideas 😉

To make it better : remove landlord and keep it lawless if they can not give 1 claim flag to 1 player. And merchant, it doesn't have to be tied to a bank.  Rather play in  a big lawless map then be a slave to another player. On PvP it works in pve not.

18 hours ago, Robotukas said:

I believe that they can’t fix overlapping issue with flags when you have a lot flags.

This is the underlying issue. The question is why. So many games in existence have their own player type housing domains. There is never an issue with overlapping housing issues. What is different with those games? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually asking here. Also, will this change be their final say so? I appreciate that you are one of the many many many people asking for ideas, trying to get things improved for the better. It's what we need. I did the same, making a suggestion that there be purchasable land property. Therefore the land would have divided property lines.

43 minutes ago, Robotukas said:

But in the topic I would like yo hear more about changes not complains. If you will do 1 flag per Island how you will do? 

Thanks

First I would make 10,000 islands....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Eve BlackVeil said:

I wont do. I will live on Lawless.

there is no lawless after next update all islands are same 

10 minutes ago, UDO said:

there is no lawless after next update all islands are same 

I'm pretty sure it will still exist too.  In the Captain's log, they said to read the previous CL first to understand the basic changes.  The previous Captain's Log says this:

Lawless Servers

• Will continue to operate like normal, no islands on these servers can be claimed.
  • Reduced structure placement rules
  • Damage decay added over time on all structures

Of course, this means even fewer islands available to claim -  around 500 something...

• Like 1

First of all sorry for my English, it is not my native language.  There is my vision about claim in PVE. Dev's already have mechanic of claim calling lighthouse. Yes, it has greater radius than flag, but 1 flag for single player is not enough, but it doesn't cover whole island ( if it is big enough). Think about islands that have rocky structure like in East tropics. Lighthouses don't overlap each other, have decay timer, and have room for resources. I think If they combine lighthouse and bank structures in one it will be good enough for most people. Add conditions that lighthouse must cover deepwater and in circle decay timer for 4-8 hours for non owner constructions let's build some taming cages for other people.

It’s not that hard to understand.

This isn’t a pirate game. You can do pirate stuff, but you can’t be a pirate.

This isn’t a survival game. There is survival game aspects, but it’s more annoying than anything else.

This is a empire building game. The claim system was implemented to be a major part of that. The flags didn’t work. There were too many problems which seem to have been too deeply implemented in the code for them to fix properly. Instead of rewriting massive amounts of code to implement grids or whatever they decide on a change that allows for whole island claims.

The new system works (in theory) for an empire building game in a player versus player game. It doesn’t work in a player versus environment. Then again, empire building doesn’t work in a player versus environment game when there is nothing in the environment to challenge the empire.

It was not going to be implemented in PvE!

PvE was going to become an open sandbox. The player base complained so loudly that they had to shoe horn it into PvE. That doesn’t change the fact that it doesn’t make sense for PvE. There is still nothing to challenge the building of an empire.

The smaller claim flag idea is gone. It was broken and they are not going to fix it. And they are not going to have two different systems for PvP and PvE. The solution was no claims in PvE. Now that they HAD to put it in, it’s going to be “broken” on the PvE side until they have time to fix it to work on BOTH sides. 

I play PvE. The solution sucks. I fully expect more changes in the future. Until then, I have the same choices as everyone else. Roll with it or play something else.

I’m going to roll with it. It’s technically still a beta (although they prefer the term early access, lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Option 3 do what every wargame has done for decades and use a hex grid that has no overlaps and easily follows natural features.

It would be great but very time consuming, but redefining claim boundaries based on island features would be be a great way to divide up islands.   use the rivers  biome lines and natural barriers to divide up the island, make sure every claim has a placew they can anchor a ship and make one claim per player.   You might be able to make something that would work, but I don;t think there will be enough locations to support the number of players they want on a map.

A simpler method would be allow only coast line will be buildable in PvE and the center of islands be un-claimable and very fast upkeep like 4 hours so you can build temporary structures,  that any one can destroy after 4 hours or leave if they find it useful.  You get one claim and you ship must be in the claim flag radius when you place it.

Some company have  planning to claim 10+ island and 2+ gird server in discord

they never respond how to solve the greedy issue , and keep repeat loop pillar / foundation spam

most reason  for  building spamming are target to them or make from them to boot out other player

2 hours ago, Kow cow said:

Some company have  planning to claim 10+ island and 2+ gird server in discord

they never respond how to solve the greedy issue , and keep repeat loop pillar / foundation spam

most reason  for  building spamming are target to them or make from them to boot out other player

Wouldn't surprise me to find out its black beard and captain jack sparrow both had entire islands on lawless covered in square thatch foundations.