Dollie

Captain's Log 23: Setting A Course

See I mostly free tamed all my animals. It's a little harder. But pens screw with me and I end up dying. God knows ive tried to use public taming pens. But either the animal falls the wrong way and I can't feed it. Or I get knocked into oblivion. For me it was easier to strategically plan where my animal was gonna get knocked out. Cross my fingers and go for the adrenaline rush. I've solo tamed all my animals. It can be done. But you do have to expect death and well most animals I knocked out close to my ship so in the event that they killed me. It wasn't a long run back. 

5 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

ee I mostly free tamed all my animals. It's a little harder. But pens screw with me and I end up dying. God knows ive tried to use public taming pens. But either the animal falls the wrong way and I can't feed it. Or I get knocked into oblivion. For me it was easier to strategically plan where my animal was gonna get knocked out.

Somewhere in these forums I saw a post about using wall signs/billboards to entrap an animal.  Apparently you can do it anywhere on the run and it gives you freer access to the bola'd animal when it falls.  I've never tried it.  I also wouldn't like to see these signs left in place after the tame.

Edited by Raine

3 minutes ago, Raine said:

Somewhere in these forums I saw a post about using wall signs/billboards to entrap an animal.  Apparently you can do it anywhere on the run and it gives you freer access to the bola'd animal when it falls.  I've never tried it.

After my gazillionth attempt at trying all sortsa traps. I gave up on them. I win some and I lose some. For a  giraffe. I literally used my bear instead of a bow/arrows. Got the health down. You can actually bola from a bear. Then it was the game of feed and jump back really damn fast. Release bola. Bear takes most of the hits or if it ran bear could keep up with the long legs.

I could definitely see trapping as being a safer method to tame. Esp in areas with snakes etc. The only animals that I used a public trap on that went relatively well was a tiger and bears. Elephants, Rhinos and Giraffes I never had much luck in taming pens with them. 

15 minutes ago, Raine said:

Having a hard time envisioning that.  Do you have a screenshot perchance?  Brilliant idea to have the storage atop the pen.  Must've been quite high if you were trying to trap giraffes.

That's true.  But I don't think most people will have access to a Crab.  I suspect argies and quetzes are easier to obtain in Ark than a Crab would be in Atlas, but time will tell.

RE  our Taming facility - no, I didn't take any SS.  But it was a 9x9 facility.  3x4 in the center was the actual pen area.  It used 2 gates as an airlock, and we could tame anything.  The whole point was that once the animal was in the trap, literally nothing could interrupt us.  And you wanted 3x4 to be big enough to get at it from multiple angles (2x3 could result in clipping issues)

And yeah, we built a lot of vertical structures. It's the best way to be polite in lawless, everything had at least 2-3 building sized items stacked on top of each other, and the whole thing was on stilts.  People could do maps or gather resources under most of our bases.

As for crab versus argentavis/quetzal, I won't know until I see it, BUT if you aren't counting the Kraken needed to get a crab, I would say Argies were pretty easy to tame in Ark, but Quetzels were a bitch and a half.  When I did it at least, you had to hang upside down from an argentavis and then hit the quetzal 30+ times, in the head, with a tranq rifle.  And I mean that literally.  We use parachutes to not die.

We were able to tame the larger animals successfully in pens, but not without a goodly share of dying.

Our best pen was more of an accidental creation.  it was positioned right next to a cliff with a funnel of strategically placed stone pillars at one side, and the pen so close to the cliff on the other side that you couldn't access the animal from that side.  The cliffside prevented the animal from escaping the ramp on that side.  We often walked past the trap only to discover wolves, lions, horses, pigs and giraffes which had accidentally wandered into the trap.  Made taming very easy.  But you can't do that everywhere.

Ark I actually chased the quetzals into cliff sides till I could jump off and tranq them. Yeah I kinda like kamikaze taming. Arks Crabs well you had no choice but to use a trap. Rock Golems too.

I will say I prefer the taming on here to Ark's early days. God I don't miss those hours upon hours of taming quetz, gigas etc. Never failed. The first month of ark my husband would knock out what was it a lvl 30 or 50 rex at that time. The server rollback. It took me like 9 hours  to get that thing tamed while my husband slept like a baby.

Breeding I have yet to try out. Lotsa horror stories and to me it was just faster to retame if one of my animals dies or gets stuck etc.

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

1 minute ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Breeding I have yet to try out yet. Lotsa horror stories and to me it was just faster to retame if one of my animals dies or gets stuck etc.

Amen.  Breeding in Ark was a fun process to me.  I've never bothered with breeding here because of the aggravation I heard about it.

I also wouldn't want to breed a special animal only to see it get stuck and die in a ship's hold, or get teleported into Purgatory and die for inexplicable reasons.  Bad enough I have to destroy foundations to rescue animals due to render issues as well.  All of those are wasted gameplay hours imo.

My first stone base. The terrain was uneven so I had to double foundation in areas. Animals constantly sunk into the foundations and I couldn't get them out. Cliff plaform I had an alpha rattlesnake get in and ate a bunch animals I had on passive. It was enclosed so no reason a snake could get into it. I used railings but somehow it got through. Elephants went awol tyring to board them onto ships. Now I just have them follow me up ladders.

Breeding needs some adjustments from what I hear. It is nice they are gonna make all animals as breedable. But they do need to clarify on the system and put what animals need what biome to grow in. In todays world. Most people don't want to have to play a guessing game or waste the time to figure out what biome a baby is gonna grow up in. If the animal naturally spawns in that biome. It should be breedable and be able to grow in that same biome.

I get how ark did it with specific eggs needed specific tempatures. But all of that was mitigated with the use of air conditioners or campfires/torches. We don't have incubators/air conditioners etc in game. Once the egg hatch the baby shouldn't die from to much heat/cold etc. Esp not in an enclosed pen where you are supposed to be protected from those variables.

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

2 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

My first stone base. The terrain was uneven so I had to double foundation in areas. Animals constantly sunk into the foundations and I couldn't get them out. Cliff plaform I had an alpha rattlesnake get in and ate a bunch animals I had on passive. It was enclosed so no reason a snake could get into it. I used railings but somehow it got through. Elephants went awol tyring to board them onto ships. Now I just have them follow me up ladders.

Breeding needs some adjustments from what I hear. It is nice they are gonna make all animals as breedable. But they do need to clarify on the system and put what animals need what biome to grow in. In todays world. Most people don't want to have to play a guessing game or waste the time to figure out what biome a baby is gonna grow up in. If the animal naturally spawns in that biome. It should be breedable and be able to grow in that same biome.

I get how ark did it with specific eggs needed specific tempatures. But all of that was mitigated with the use of air conditioners or campfires/torches. We don't have incubators/air conditioners etc in game. Once the egg hatch the baby shouldn't die from to much heat/cold etc. Esp not in an enclosed pen where you are supposed to be protected from those variables.

We avoided foundations in most cases.  They seemed more trouble than they were worth.  Hence all the stilts.

At the end bear breeding was ok.  You just had to find the tiny portions of the island you could breed in.  Turns out, every island has like 4 or 5 sub biomes and many of them suck for breeding because the temp is too variable.  So you gotta walk around the island for days to find an area that doesn't fall outside perfect.  And if you didnt find that area you could not breed (it was literally impossible).

Or use a private server and slomo to find the spots faster.  Was what I did. 

3 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Once the egg hatch the baby shouldn't die from to much heat/cold etc. Esp not in an enclosed pen where you are supposed to be protected from those variables.

Most of these births probably won't be egg hatches.  I've heard the babies will still clip through the foundations and in some cases disappear completely, but that's nothing compared to the losses from biome issues and heat waves, etc.  

Also, like I said earlier, for crocs and cobras to be able to access tames and their babies THROUGH STONE WALLS is beyond ridiculous.  That should never be possible.

Well men (or ladies). It has been a pleasure having morning coffee with you. I fear I must get my kitchen cleaned and go to the store. Maybe load up some conan since I haven't played that in awhile.  I will see you guys during game break or for tomorrows morning coffee routine!

3 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

So you gotta walk around the island for days to find an area that doesn't fall outside perfect.  And if you didnt find that area you could not breed (it was literally impossible).

That should not be necessary in my opinion. With the population/building/claiming issues we've all experienced, it makes the need to ferret out a separate breeding facility an exercise in futility as the game progresses.  That's why the devs should come up with a prop equivalent to air conditioners in Ark, whether it's an animal or a device - doesn't matter.  Otherwise they just invite more problems with bases and spaces.

3 minutes ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Well men (or ladies). It has been a pleasure having morning coffee with you.

Ha, same!  And fwiw, I think Archsenex is the solo guy in the trio here.  Unless he says differently,  that is.

21 minutes ago, Raine said:

That should not be necessary in my opinion. With the population/building/claiming issues we've all experienced, it makes the need to ferret out a separate breeding facility an exercise in futility as the game progresses.  That's why the devs should come up with a prop equivalent to air conditioners in Ark, whether it's an animal or a device - doesn't matter.  Otherwise they just invite more problems with bases and spaces.

I'm all for this.  On my private I installed the evaporative cooler.  It's totally an in genre ac. 

Breeding should be easier, BUT the cooldown between breeds should be longer to make up for it.

Um. I'm not getting it about PVE claim systems.

- Will there be just freeports and grids for flag claiming? (no more lawless?)

- If I find and island and be first to put flag there - I'm then owner of this island (will pay taxes etc)? (like hell I need that?)

- If I build my base without any flags and then some1 settle to the island and put his flag - does it means I'll became part of his territory and will get all limitations he decide to make etc?

OR... as it was mentioned in LOG-22 Lawless will be continue to exists, just with buildings decay rates?

8 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

Um. I'm not getting it about PVE claim systems.

- Will there be just freeports and grids for flag claiming? (no more lawless?)

- If I find and island and be first to put flag there - I'm then owner of this island (will pay taxes etc)? (like hell I need that?)

- If I build my base without any flags and then some1 settle to the island and put his flag - does it means I'll became part of his territory and will get all limitations he decide to make etc?

OR... as it was mentioned in LOG-22 Lawless will be continue to exists, just with buildings decay rates?

My understanding it that, for now, lawless will not change.  They are only proposing new systems for the claim areas.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

On my private I installed the evaporative cooler.  It's totally an in genre ac. 

Breeding should be easier, BUT the cooldown between breeds should be longer to make up for it.

I'm familiar with swamp coolers but not aware they were operative in-game on Official.

I also endorse easier breeding/longer cooldown as a better dynamic.

3 minutes ago, Raine said:

I'm familiar with swamp coolers but not aware they were operative in-game on Official.

I also endorse easier breeding/longer cooldown as a better dynamic.

They aren't on official, it's on my private server.

I'd leave all the stupid of official behind if all the people I invited didn't all respond "there won't be enough people."  All like 20 of them.  

I may still at this point.  A 5x5 all to myself sounds nice.  G portal just needs to work out the kinks with backups.

Grapeshot makes a great game but they're terrible at running a game.  Wtb publisher.

Edited by Archsenex

On 3/8/2019 at 6:32 PM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

You've completely misunderstood.

When someone builds on a settlement, from that point there is a 12+ hour window where the settlement owner can destroy the structure using the wheel selection. After that 12+ window the settlement owner can no longer destroy it.

After the 12 hour period has passed, they will not be able to demolish the structures using the pinwheel, and must manually destroy it

Landlord still can demo everything after 12HR,

Ok i know new skills are being added. But is a characyer wipe really necessary? Is this a wipe of xp or a reset? Devs i think this is one of the biggest issues and reasons people are leaving. Everyone who reads this and replys give reasons you left if you no longer play. I played today and in lawless regions everything is demolishable and tames are claimable because people have left over a week ago. While i like the idea of new skills, i just hate to have to start fresh. Devs if its a character wipe, and there is no way to save progress, maybe you can implement an xp or discovery point boost token that can be bought in freeports and maybe looted in shipwrecks. I personally have discovered half of the pve map and did so because of the incentive, but if a wipe is going to wipe all that away, theres just no reason to do it knowing there will be future wipes. if you are lifting the fog of war just do away with discovery points and make the max level 100 to start. Just make another system or give a permanent stat buff in place of discovery points. Kind of like the fountain of youth buffs. Since they are stackable, just use discovery points to allow more stacks of rejuvination buffs. Just some ideas i had and maybe you thought of this already, but you seem to encourage ideas so i share them. Devs really need to find out what about the wipe is making people leave or is it new exploits? This game was booming before and now its like Chernobyl with only plants,animal and very few humans. Only way i can describe it. There is only negative reviews and as a buyer, if i wasnt already a player and was looking for a game, the bad reviews alone is enough to keep me from even looking at the game page.

23 minutes ago, travis843 said:

Devs really need to find out what about the wipe is making people leave or is it new exploits?

It is a complete wipe, characters and all.  And the reason people are leaving in droves is because the moment the Devs announced the wipe, nothing mattered.  Everything from that point on was pointless and a complete waste of time.

Edited by Ktorr

1 hour ago, Kow cow said:

After the 12 hour period has passed, they will not be able to demolish the structures using the pinwheel, and must manually destroy it

Landlord still can demo everything after 12HR,

"Manually" destroy it means with cannons and mortars.  I don't think you can do  that on PvE.  Only PvP.

18 minutes ago, Ktorr said:
43 minutes ago, travis843 said:

Devs really need to find out what about the wipe is making people leave or is it new exploits?

It is a complete wipe, characters and all.  And the reason people are leaving in droves is because the moment the Devs announced the wipe, nothing mattered.  Everything from that point on was pointless and a complete waste of time.

Nah...I'm actuallly still having a great time!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jay8454 said:

because in America the law does not recognize nontangible things

I get your points, believe me.  But intangibles are actually valuable in America, and you can sell them, buy them, trade them or slap lawsuits on people over them.  But I digress....carry on.

... you know other than intellectual property.   Law does kinda have a few things to say about that.

I was surprised you could actually sell "goodwill" when you sold your business.