Dollie

Captain's Log 23: Setting A Course

1 minute ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

You've completely misunderstood.

When someone builds on a settlement, from that point there is a 12+ hour window where the settlement owner can destroy the structure using the wheel selection. After that 12+ window the settlement owner can no longer destroy it.

Oh good, then the obvious exploit that I feared will work...

At least they are trying something...

And the owner settlement can destroy past the 12 hours, just not with the menu wheel, with tools.. manually.

Edited by Darla

52 minutes ago, True Sonja said:

Also still no word on Discovery Points and Player Characters. 

Anyone who played much knows the real deal is in Discovery Points and not in XP.

We need current characters discovery points kept either actually, or just as a raw number.

They have already confirmed to be wiping discovery points but if you read some of the changes they are putting in at launch you should be able to get a lot more back very quickly.

I know my corp has a plan with how it read and plan on being able to get enough discover points for level 80 in a week, it not really a big issue

ok so let me get this straight the PVE guys are unhappy. Due to claims and the way they structured the PvP guys are unhappy because the Forced PVE that we now have to endure because of Whinny PVE Bobs on PVP servers. In reality Grapeshot is Trying and have listened to all you people whine and groan and moan about absolute bullshit. give them a break the fixed alot in season 1. The only issue i am having is timing PTR is set for the 20th same day as the wipe and does this mean there will be no official server till after the PTR is concluded or will if be separate. Point 2 is open the PTR to everyone is in my opinion a mistake  what you going to learn from 2 or 3 ppl playing the game together in a companies most the game breaking glitches and exploits are found buy them weeks into playing but having it limited to dedicated companies EG top 10 you will find out quicker what is wrong and what is broken having . I urge people to remember you bought a Early Access game they point is to help devs make choices and not be the self entitled whinny babies you are. People have been vocal about the wipe  because like ark this game takes investment. What investment your time. Most stopped playing due to the pointlessness of investing 10+ hrs daily for something that is ending.My last word are Tax's SUCK but then join a bigger company. Learn to get along you pve bunch or come play PVP then Tax disputes where easy. You wipe them or push them off the island no tax problem them. That being said Now we need to declare war on a PVP server joy and when you facing large companies good luck to anyone trying to push them off in war time period . 

• Like 2

So still nothing about future wipes or the fact that you are putting new content behind a boss that most people never got to on the first iteration, and you've fixed the bugs that people used to get it down faster.

@Jatheish @Dollie should we assume that your silence on the matter and lack of refutation means that you agree with your self appointed spokesmen and "you idiot babies should expect a wipe every month its early access" is well and truly your official stance.  It is the only answer we have gotten.

33 minutes ago, Darla said:

At least they are trying something...

And the owner settlement can destroy past the 12 hours, just not with the menu wheel, with tools.. manually.

Those of us talking about that in this topic are speaking about PvE.

10 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Those of us talking about that in this topic are speaking about PvE.

They did say they might consider longer for pve.  Giving 48 hours or something.  That way once a landlord lets a tenant stay they can't later decide to crack them open for resources.

It's basically adverse possession.  It encourages land owners to police their land.

Use the same claim system as PvP, but remove the raidable hours and war aspect. This means that players will be able to claim islands, and anyone can build on those settlements. Each settlement will have an upkeep cost which is based on a variety of factors such as the islands ranking, the number of settlements that company has, and how many different companies are building on the settlement. Settlement owners will be able to set a tax rate, and also players will be able to place their player run shops on the claimed land.

new claim system make benefits on some player only and, casual player ,solo and ,small company cant claimed island will be all goto underdog / salve for island owner?

What about giving claim owners a number of "no build" flags based on island size.  They could protect resources that they value without blocking out the whole island.

Basically they can mark what parts of the island they want nobody messing with but at least half the island is still free build

Edited by Archsenex
  • Like 1

Ok i saw now, well bad then, in pve, must be an option to destroy unwanted structures past 12 hours.

Edited by Darla

16 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

They did say they might consider longer for pve.  Giving 48 hours or something.  That way once a landlord lets a tenant stay they can't later decide to crack them open for resources.

It's basically adverse possession.  It encourages land owners to police their land.

I know that, but that's unrelated to what was being discussed.

12 minutes ago, Kow cow said:

new claim system make benefits on some player only and, casual player ,solo and ,small company cant claimed island will be all goto underdog / salve for island owner?

I don't really get your problem here.
In my opinion it is intended that the settlement owner will take care that all people building on his island could live "normally" together. Yes, he has the power to destroy your building (and to stop pillar spamming and blocking, what is in fact positive), but on the other hand, he MUST be interested in having many people living happily together on his island, because he have to pay double upkeep (on for the claim flag, one for his base).
If I have to pay taxes for the privilege to be more safe from some idiots, I'm okay with that.

Of course there will be griefers, but I think it is a good - maybe not the right - step.

11 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

What about giving claim owners a number of "no build" flags based on island size.  They could protect resources that they value without blocking out the whole island.

Basically they can mark what parts of the island they want nobody messing with but at least half the island is still free build

The idea per se is not bad, but I think they will use those flags not only for blocking nodes, they also will block land around their own base.
The number of no build flags had to be adjusted on the number of ressource spawns of every island to work correct.

the changes to the proposed claim rework sound good tho being able to claim your piece of land within a settlement would have been good just to prevent griefing, not sure why you do not just add a cost/limit on it but i guess we will have to wait and see how it really plays out and what needs to be changed. at least we will be able to defend our base without owning it, which was the biggest let down of the first rework announced.

still after all the numerous threads about the wipe and discovery points/FOY etc...and also the future wipes announced one would think you would post something about this as well as it is quite important to a lot of your community.

if you at least would explain why you also have to wipe chars or that you are still looking into it and might reconsider what you announced...just something and what your future plans are would go a long way. no matter how many will continue to tell you that wiping is super cool just look at the drop in numbers - if you don't adress the wipe thematic there is just no point in playing such a time consuming game. with future wipes do you really think ppl will put that much time into it? the acutal numbers might stay the future numbers. sure the numbers droped after release but those that stayed were playing quite a lot if you look at steam charts and it would be sad if atlas will be one of those hardly played EA games where we have so many of. mind you i really love the game but all this wiping is a real downer, might stick thru 1 full wipe but well...i think it has been said over and over in quite a lot of threads, hope you don't ignore it. 

• Like 3

"You can find them by diving deep into the ocean"
I won't be able to find a single thing with that stupid diving suit overlay. You can't see a darn thing.
Can't wait to see just how annoying the submarine will be to look out from. Highly likely just as bad because it needs to be "releastic" because Wildca.. Grapeshot is so haaaardcore. It's a game. A game should be fun to play. Diving is not.

For PVE:

Lazy as Fuck, now u bank on the Settlement Owner to deal with pillar / foundation spam (which i think would have not happend everywhere anyway). In return they can get taxes.

Sounds not to bad when the owner is nice and is doing his job. But what if not / not anymore (will  taxes support the upkeep?)?

Also when i want to settle on an settlement, i have to wait xx hours /days before i can be sure nobody can delete it anymore. Any new addtion to a base, wait again before utilising it.

Pros:

* Nice active owner can make a lovely Island possible (what ever that is; mine would be: only small buildings, nearly all resources saved, bo blocking buildings etc.)

* Less need for GM involvement (?)

* Settlers Buildings can be safe for longer (after a while) then current lawless.

cons:

* First comes first serve

* Taxes (for Treasure (visitiors!) etc. just stupid in PVE)

*How to deal with lazy af owner, just "earning" taxes.

*Even as owner, kepping all settlers in check is a hard job with no real benefit (it seems, ok taxes, but u get them anyway)

*What when the layz guys even get several islands?

*(Exploiting Limits) Making "shadow" Company with temporal members (or just alts) for more Claims.

*Having the illusion of owning will attracked the lazy more then the careing ones.

*Want to settle in/ near a specific grid: It can take several days before finding an Island where the settlement is not deleated, no fun meachanism.

I personally would like to see the "free for all" aproach you had before for PVE.

DONT neglect the upkeep in both systems, it will be the deciding factor agains spamming / server performance if balanced/implemented correctly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tinschn said:

I don't really get your problem here.
In my opinion it is intended that the settlement owner will take care that all people building on his island could live "normally" together. Yes, he has the power to destroy your building (and to stop pillar spamming and blocking, what is in fact positive), but on the other hand, he MUST be interested in having many people living happily together on his island, because he have to pay double upkeep (on for the claim flag, one for his base).
If I have to pay taxes for the privilege to be more safe from some idiots, I'm okay with that.

Of course there will be griefers, but I think it is a good - maybe not the right - step.

The idea per se is not bad, but I think they will use those flags not only for blocking nodes, they also will block land around their own base.
The number of no build flags had to be adjusted on the number of ressource spawns of every island to work correct.

this cannot solve spamming problem, owner cant keep online to pervent  pillar exploit , or owner keep online to demo everyone on his island .

this only make some player got adsvantage only,

2 minutes ago, Xenom said:

the changes to the proposed claim rework sound good tho being able to claim your piece of land within a settlement would have been good just to prevent griefing, not sure why you do not just add a cost/limit on it but i guess we will have to wait and see how it really plays out and what needs to be changed. at least we will be able to defend our base without owning it, which was the biggest let down of the first rework announced.

still after all the numerous threads about the wipe and discovery points/FOY etc...and also the future wipes announced one would think you would post something about this as well as it is quite important to a lot of your community.

if you at least would explain why you also have to wipe chars or that you are still looking into it and might reconsider what you announced...just something and what your future plans are would go a long way. no matter how many will continue to tell you that wiping is super cool just look at the drop in numbers - if you don't adress the wipe thematic there is just no point in playing such a time consuming game. with future wipes do you really think ppl will put that much time into it? the acutal numbers might stay the future numbers. sure the numbers droped after release but those that stayed were playing quite a lot if you look at steam charts and it would be sad if atlas will be one of those hardly played EA games where we have so many of. mind you i really love the game but all this wiping is a real downer, might stick thru 1 full wipe but well...i think it has been said over and over in quite a lot of threads, hope you don't ignore it. 

They've got at least 4 more biomes to give unique east/west styles, so if they are claiming they need to wipe for that,  then we need to know how much effort we should bother putting into testing this game for them.

They could just refresh the affected biomes and not do a general wipe but they need to announce their plans.

I was hoping the "mega patch" would make this game worth playing again... and the Devs would really start to act like they give a care about anything but our money... I think I'm wrong... and I'm walking away now.  Its a shame, could have been something good ... but instead it was the worst use of my money that I can ever recall in the last 30 years.  Thanks for that, maybe next time I'll have the since not to invest in such a poorly ran company...

52 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

What if it is not the case and the landowner does not care? Will u want to wait 2 Days before using a newly set up base?

Edited by Kummba
wording

2 minutes ago, Kummba said:

What if it is not the case and the landowner does not care? Will u want to wait 2 Days before using a newly set up base?

If the landlord says they wont demolish you, and you trust them... then yeah go ahead.  It's not like you cant use it before 48 hours.

1 minute ago, Archsenex said:

If the landlord says they wont demolish you, and you trust them... then yeah go ahead.  It's not like you cant use it before 48 hours. 

(PVE discussion)

Will you store your (important) farm in an unsafe base? When u want to establish an outpost, u now have to set it up, wait for xx hours before "really" using it. When it gets deleted one hour before countdown runs out, u go to another island and wait xx hours again?

In current version and first revamp version, your base (if you could have set it up) was safe for 4 days form the start. You could use it immediately.

Now Atlas is a waiting game instead of a hunt, i strongly dislike.

• Like 1