True Sonja

poll Halve the height of gates?

Should Gateways be half their current height?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gateways be half their current height?

The current gateways are a hold over from ARK where we had things like Brontos and other tall dinos. Even the smaller Dinos were tall (Raptors etc)

But the creatures of Atlas are not the same as ARK (with a few exceptions) and the gates do not need to be as large.

Do you support halving the height of gateways?

Edited by True Sonja
  • Like 1

Kind of depends which gates.

The small gates could be 1/2 height, but current height is fine I think.

They could add a medium gate, there is at least one mod that adds one.

I think the large gate is generally used for all kinds of stuff, but I've never used it. Seen it usually for walls around a base. Does seem ridiculously tall.

There's no reason to change them. A petition to add more sizes would make more sense. I would say yes absolutely add more options. but there's uses for the existing gates, therefore there's reason not to change them. 

No, because existing large gate allows the building of ship garages up to brig size.

I find this too valuable to just discard it in the name of aesthetics.

one word; Ships.

This is not ARK (at least I hope not) so the gates are there, primarily, for ships.

Honestly, as you mentioned, tames being too small for gates, I feel the game is going the wrong way.

_ we all know tames are possible with the legacy ARK code.

- No need to use them  its broken anyway: See NPC

- Focus on NPCs and make them very flexible to use. 

Edited by MajorAvatar

Hopefully they fix the collision hit box on them soon, so no one can hide their ships behind them.

I am assuming you are talking about the behemoth gates and not the small ones. Half height is fine but the width of the behemoth gate is good.

I believe that the crab will probably be quite wide.

I would also like a couple of styles for example a 4high 6wide  gate with a rounded top that could act as city gates

I’d like to see a “medium gate” and possibly structures that are actually big Strong walls implemented. Maybe keep the gateways and have a dedicated “wall” that slots into place of the gate itself? I do like your idea about halving the height. The large gateways still have a use in the form of ship storage and I don’t want that removed. I’d just like some real walls and a medium sized equivalent brought in. Also it’d be great if they wall variant was significantly more resistant to canons etc and much more expensive to build and upkeep. This would “force” raiders to aim for gates or otherwise spend huge amounts of resources raiding walls over gates. I’d also like something to stop people stacking and layering said walls in a ring around their base. Maybe a 5-6 tile exclusion area in front and behind for other walls/ gates. 

the gates aren't really appropriate for ships, having a gate like that submerged in water would be so slow to open as to make them frustrating at best.

if they wanted gates for boats they should have made lifting gates or floating gates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noodled Jenkins said:

Uh how about we get rid of gates. I hate that you can link gate to gate to gate.

Gates have a purpose, can't imagine building a safe tame storage without a gate, wouldn't be long before they were eaten by a lion.

• Like 1

I park sloops in enclosed boat houses using gates. It stops people randoming them while I’m offline. The ability to reverse ships really helps to fit 2 sloops side by side in the width of a large wood gateway.

I think the current size is appropriate. It should be a door that moves up and down just like the entrance of an old castle, not by the side.

I think the gates are fine, I hope they add a wall variant still that you can snap between the gates as well as snap at angles, neither of these would be hard to implement. Allow snaping to the ends with one hotkey and adjusting the angle 5 degrees at a time with a different button. People should be able to build harbors and forts with tall walls with buildings inside of this area. That is not a problem in my opinion. It's probably better to have one single asset to load than lots of little ones. If you force people to use the small walls they will and then you will get tiny holes in their wall of walls vs taking out a whole section when you knock it out. I also agree they should add different sizes and variations all with their own counterpart wall which snaps. I also think the gates should be able to be snapped to foundations if you want. Add a Snap/Free placement option you can click between. I honestly don't get what peoples issues with the gates are. I think they look ugly as an entire row of gates but if they had walls with a gate where ships sail through it wouldn't look so ugly. They could even add ramparts or something you could place at corners and every so many walls or allow a thick walls with battlements to setup cannons etc on.

Go do a quick search of Pirate forts, Forts of the 1600's through 1800's. Huh, weird... they all have big walls and gates. How crazy. Even weirder sometimes town squares were built inside with the town expanding out past the fort and people would take shelter during combat. There are grappling hooks, climbing hooks, gliders, you can get over the walls just fine. If the issue is people blocking resources etc. It wouldn't take much for the devs to setup exclusion zones around resources so you can't build on or near rare resources including before and after they are gathered. Honestly should be done anyways. Would love to see them set the respawn radius around buildings to 0.20 or something. Keeps things from spawning inside and about 2-3 squares away on Ark. Assume it would do the same here. And then an exclusion zone  around and directly above resources so you can't place anything above or near them. I realize people could still block them off with a super tall large square/circular tower though but it would certainly make it far more effort to do so, they could implement a build height limit above foundations although this hampers creativity of building . Although buildings only got so high in this era so it wouldn't be unrealistic.

I would like to have wide gates that match the railing: see-through, just high enough to keep even giraffes inside; just to design nice paddocks to keep your tames inside (but without destroying the beautiful environment, to keep the mood of surrounding nature)

Better to keep the gates as they are and add some shorter ones.

Edited by Buck Rider

No need to half the gates we have now. They just need to add a medium one.

How bout letting all animals go through the "small" gates?  Seems plenty large enough to me.  Requiring the large gate for elephants and such just seems over the top.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Kveldulf said:

How bout letting all animals go through the "small" gates?  Seems plenty large enough to me.  Requiring the large gate for elephants and such just seems over the top.

Thoughts?

I think it makes sense. The small gate is a reasonable size for a barn. If all the tames could fit through it a person could make a reasonably sized building to hold them all.

The large gate is ridiculously big for being part of a building. It really makes no sense that either the small gate is too small for an elephant or that there is no gate just a bit bigger than the small gate that fits all tames.

BTW, there is a mod that solves this problem and many private servers have it installed. That of course is no help for those playing on official servers.

Edited by wildbill