Sign in to follow this  
Psyko

The future of Atlas

I know it's WAAAY early to be thinking of this, but considering how Ark turned out I started thinking of the future of Atlas.  I know there would probably be a market for more modern ships made of metal and stuff, but considering the islands and magic and stuff, I'd personally prefer a more steampunk style of tech upgrades.  I wouldn't want to see this game advance to far and go too crazy, but zeppelins, metal galleons/sloops/schooners/brigs with steam engines would be kinda neat.  Different manufacturing items based on that, assuming that the devs want to go with tech upgrades past the sailing/medieval stage.  I also noticed that the trader vessels have paddle  wheels, wouldn't mind having that feature too.  Any thoughts?

• Like 2

thats why i never played ark, i liked the basic premise of a survival game but cant stand tech. Atlas being pirate themed was a perfect draw in, add in modernism and im no longer escaping from the modern world into a fantasy. 

just my 2 cents but people usualy like fantasy or sci-fi not both in the same game

• Like 4

Never played ARK but from a distance it seems that adding future tech on top of ARK didn't hurt.
That would be a different story in ATLAS. The gameplay is different. It all evolves around sailing. And any tech that makes sailing useless would compomise the core gameplay of ATLAS. I highly doubt that we will get something beyond wooden ships.
I bought this game fully knowing that it "could" happen. But I can't see where it would make sense. There is an airship in one of the promo pictures from atlas. It was shown at the beginning of the last stream. It complemented the Dragon. The dragon has a timelimit. It would otherwise break the game because you could get around the core gameplay for an unlimited amount of time.
Also the devs once stated that they don't want to add too much tech like in ARK and wan't to keep the pirate fantasy as raw as possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kappinski said:

Never played ARK but from a distance it seems that adding future tech on top of ARK didn't hurt.
That would be a different story in ATLAS. The gameplay is different. It all evolves around sailing. And any tech that makes sailing useless would compomise the core gameplay of ATLAS. I highly doubt that we will get something beyond wooden ships.
I bought this game fully knowing that it "could" happen. But I can't see where it would make sense. There is an airship in one of the promo pictures from atlas. It was shown at the beginning of the last stream. It complemented the Dragon. The dragon has a timelimit. It would otherwise break the game because you could get around the core gameplay for an unlimited amount of time.
Also the devs once stated that they don't want to add too much tech like in ARK and wan't to keep the pirate fantasy as raw as possible.

For the record Ark was ALWAYS a sci fi game that happened to have dinosaurs, NOT a Dino game with tek shoe horned in after the fact. Many people have claimed or assumed so. They are all wrong on the facts. From day one, (actually before that even) concept art for Ark showed characters from the lore riding and fighting Dinos, but also carrying advanced weaponry, not just bows and arrows. On day one of Early Access characters spawning in for the first time watched an animation of themselves looking down at their wrist and scratching at the decidedly not at all primitive implant embedded there. Any time those characters looked above the treeline, they could see at least one of 3 giant floating obelisks in the air above the island, a huge unavoidable, impossible to ignore neon sign that this was not a purely primitive survival game. 

When Tek was added later on, many people whined despite all evidence to the contrary that this was the devs changing the game or bowing to pressure to make it more accessible to blah blah blah. No one has to like Tek, but saying it wasn’t part of the game’s original lore or intended design is demonstrably false.

Not that I am putting any of that on you Kappinski, just making sure the record is straight.  As near as I could tell playing Ark for 4K hours, plenty of people loved it, plenty of people hated it, even more had no strong feelings either way.

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Psyko said:

I know it's WAAAY early to be thinking of this, but considering how Ark turned out I started thinking of the future of Atlas.  I know there would probably be a market for more modern ships made of metal and stuff, but considering the islands and magic and stuff, I'd personally prefer a more steampunk style of tech upgrades.  I wouldn't want to see this game advance to far and go too crazy, but zeppelins, metal galleons/sloops/schooners/brigs with steam engines would be kinda neat.  Different manufacturing items based on that, assuming that the devs want to go with tech upgrades past the sailing/medieval stage.  I also noticed that the trader vessels have paddle  wheels, wouldn't mind having that feature too.  Any thoughts?

I would tend to leave changes to the basic technological level to modders. People seeking to play games like this are often looking for immersion as part of the experience. Tech levels that cross different eras are the kinds of things people like this complain about as a negative in their experience. Typically they feel more strongly negative about it than people who enjoy cross tech feel strongly positive. The best way to give everybody what they want for this sort of thing is to leave tech changes to modders and unofficials. 

Personally I wouldn’t have had unofficials for different reasons but it’s not my game and no one asked me. Given that they exist, they are kind of the perfect place for people to go nuts with any and all ideas of this sort without disrupting the experience of others. Win-win.

• Like 1

I had over 2000 hours in Ark before the Tek...  it was shit after.

There were epic battles for control of servers that sometimes lasted days but since cross server, tek, boosted rates, and mega tribes it's all bland and doesn't have the same feel. Now it's a shit show that only gets by due to PvE and private servers.

Oh well, to each their own but I know a few people that quit because of this and I'm gonna assume that the same would happen with Atlas...  That's if it doesn't die before launch. *shrug*

• Like 2

I was under the impression that Steam punk is the technological path Atlas is planning on taking.

Look at the new Sub, Look at the Airship it's both on the top left corner of the banner art, and is also in the trailer.

Airship.png

Edited by Mr Putts
I said Ark I meant Atlas
  • Like 1

Go away with your sick steampunk fantasy. Play volcanoids !

Better bring ships of the line, take the top/back large gun meta away.

And bring some new small sailing ships😉

1 hour ago, ljbendele said:

thats why i never played ark, i liked the basic premise of a survival game but cant stand tech. Atlas being pirate themed was a perfect draw in, add in modernism and im no longer escaping from the modern world into a fantasy. 

just my 2 cents but people usualy like fantasy or sci-fi not both in the same game

Same for me.  I saw dinosaurs, tech, etc and was like this looks like a 5 year old's fantasy.  Wanted something a bit more realistic.  Sure the dragons and army of the damned are fantasy, but they are not a core part of the game.  I've personally never seen a dragon in game.  

That and I've  always been fascinated with that era of naval warfare.  Master and Commander is one of my favorite movies.  I wish they did more like it. 

Edited by DocHolliday

I believe the airship will be a thing if their background pic is to be trusted. I don’t mind this being in the game. The submarine is also a good idea imo. The game breaking things for ark were the the things that made characters into literal gods (super speed running, jet packs, dinosaurs with lasers, shield etc. if the devs maintain a core ethos that the player character should be limited and weak in ability I can tolerate very expensive to create and run snippets of technology. As long as there are various counters that are available easily to all players to this technology then I’m okay with it (make it so the airship must land in the water to be anchored otherwise it will decay and use vast amounts of mythos and 2-3 different types of oil as fuel. Make an Anti air gun that NPCs can use that can be mounted on ships etc. 

just some ideas. 

3 hours ago, Psyko said:

I've seen atlas described as medieval several times. Sorry but no. The ships are from the wrong time period. Call it age of sail by all means but not medieval. However I would certainly love to see medieval ships, maybe similar to the Mary Rose.

Atlas isn't actually anything from Earth's history. I think the story is more fantasy than anything. Not meant to represent any historical period, but does resemble some stuff from the age of sail.

Not sure about anyone else, but until I hear all the details and see what the big March 20th update really is, I'm kind of bored of speculating about Atlas. I'm still having fun playing the game, but I'm now in a kind of wait and see mood right now.

As they are now implementing the submarine with the deep trenches. How about a few floating islands? :D It is a powerstone PvE island i wouldn't mind it. But what don't want would be a seperation of the playerbase. Where all the lategame people hang out in the sky while everyone else is sailing as usual.

1 hour ago, Kappinski said:

As they are now implementing the submarine with the deep trenches. How about a few floating islands? 😄 It is a powerstone PvE island i wouldn't mind it. But what don't want would be a seperation of the playerbase. Where all the lategame people hang out in the sky while everyone else is sailing as usual.

Floating as in drifting at sea along a present path would be cool, but floating in the air will likely only come with the addition of airships otherwise you will have to build a babel tower from the sea floor to get to them.

Not to much if they dont start putting out better Anticheat software. The aimbots duping was insane.