MajorAvatar

Mortars vs Ships... the problem

wow 12 kills. holy moly! that's impressive skills. Looks like you are proud. ❤️ people doing screenshots of their bad skills 🙂

@bullet force that the prove he is a kid. explains some posts earlier.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 3:10 AM, Arykos said:

wow 12 kills. holy moly! that's impressive skills. Looks like you are proud. ❤️ people doing screenshots of their bad skills 🙂

Obviously you know nothing about that game.  Winning a match against other top players...not so easy.  Game also has just over half the amount that could be in the match.  Was a private match of only good players.  Wasn't a public match with noobs running around to provide fast, easy kills.  In addition, the radar no longer works, so you have to actually find where people are.  Nothing to tell you where they are.  And the match is only 7 minutes.

But, if you have the game, we can always do a private 1v1 match.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:03 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Obviously you know nothing about that game.  Winning a match against other top players...not so easy.  Game also has just over half the amount that could be in the match.  Was a private match of only good players.  Wasn't a public match with noobs running around to provide fast, easy kills.  In addition, the radar no longer works, so you have to actually find where people are.  Nothing to tell you where they are.  And the match is only 7 minutes.

But, if you have the game, we can always do a private 1v1 match.

made my day

I like those builds, you spent loads of hours on private server i would assume? Nothing wrong with that, praise the ones that saved ARK... ya modders.

Maybe they should add heat seeking rocket launchers.. like they have in ark. 

I always wonder when watching videos of atlas base invasions why people don't step their defences.  ie have mortors sitting back from beach to attack the beach and anything near to beach defences. Surely this is the answer to someone trying to kill a beach defensive position.   I can only assume the bases are built by people who have little skill in building defences.  As for a ship mounted with mortors.. sounds pretty cool.  Maybe they could disable mortors on ships from shooting other ships.  Instead of just not allowing mortors on ships. Then you could have a multipurpose ship. It's much like people having all the guns on one side of a ship, instead of 50/50 split.

I haven't tried with cannon placments, but in ark you can place turrets on sloped ramps, can you not do this on ramp/doors in atlas? Give your cannons some elevation?

7 hours ago, Martyn said:

As for a ship mounted with mortors.. sounds pretty cool.  Maybe they could disable mortors on ships from shooting other ships.  Instead of just not allowing mortors on ships.

Dafuq? No!

If a ship is getting hit by a mortar it was a suprise atack - or the captain was dumb. Just try to kill a 3 handling sail brig with your cannon tower who is stationairy - you cant. And with the right canons you can 2 shot large Stone Gates an taken down Canon Towers easily. I pillerd my complete harbor to defend our land base - cause the mountain base is unplayble with all the bees and trees inside. If you couldput mortars on ships - they will destroy every defense with in the huge mortar range.

• Like 1

I already feel mortars are overperforming as it is. Land base raids should be harder, be it active raid or an offline one.

Edited by gnihar

2 hours ago, gnihar said:

I already feel mortars are overperforming as it is. Land base raids should be harder, be it active raid or an offline one.

Need something other then cannon flame wars, cannon bears.

4 hours ago, Savra said:

Dafuq? No!

If a ship is getting hit by a mortar it was a suprise atack - or the captain was dumb. Just try to kill a 3 handling sail brig with your cannon tower who is stationairy - you cant. And with the right canons you can 2 shot large Stone Gates an taken down Canon Towers easily. I pillerd my complete harbor to defend our land base - cause the mountain base is unplayble with all the bees and trees inside. If you couldput mortars on ships - they will destroy every defense with in the huge mortar range.

Mortor damage and range are just numbers in a string of code.  Easily edited.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:40 PM, Arykos said:

Yep. He's got the tick for PVER in my notepad with that video.

As to his screenshots he is probably playing bots. Would make sense given his PVE background.

With regards to mortars on boats they actually did exist in real life. They were called "Bomb Ketchs" and were basically ships about the size of a schooner with a mortar built into the hull and not much else in terms of armament. They were used to bombard shore defenses. They could add this and it would fit in the game. They would just need to make it an expensive and highly specialized vessel on really good at doing one thing.

6691673495_d018bf268c_b.jpg

I would like to see slightly less damage from motors, to get 2 shot on a schooner kinda sux

16 hours ago, Daveroe said:

I would like to see slightly less damage from motors, to get 2 shot on a schooner kinda sux

Ah, nothing wrong with mortars vs ships. My only problem with mortars is they feel overperforming vs land structures. As for teh ships, yes they should be hurt bad by mortars.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:02 PM, gnihar said:

Ah, nothing wrong with mortars vs ships. My only problem with mortars is they feel overperforming vs land structures. As for teh ships, yes they should be hurt bad by mortars.

Not really there is no real logical reason why a 'mortar' should magically do a lot more damage then a cannon given the sizes are very similar.

8 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

Not really there is no real logical reason why a 'mortar' should magically do a lot more damage then a cannon given the sizes are very similar.

Well, it uses somewhat more explosive substance, and a slug size is a bit bigger. Being mainly defense focused player due to my clan's smallish size, I liked how well are they performing vs attacking ships; literally takes 1 to behead a noobishly equipped and designed galleon. Kept me safe during the whole old atlas official pvp, as people were reluctant to attack the place with so many of them on every mountain, and a throng of foundations all over.

The whole point about mortars to have stronger defenses and let the folks sail more for pvp.

Pvp for profit= sea combat

Grudge, high effort raiding, with negative profit= base sieges

I'm with the idea of bases being raidable, but only with more effort than it worth. So +1 for the npc mortar vote.

-1 for the remove base idea (that's Sea of Thieves for you). However i would like to have a kind of rentable shipyard in freeports, for gold, banking for gold, and docking for gold. So one could turn their gold into rentable stuffs instead of settleing, as an alternative thing, while living only for sailing and gathering gold to upkeep themselves

• Thanks 1

Raiding and griefing so easy in this game. We spawn lawless/ Freeport on some weekdays (low pop for  defenders)   Tame bears or horses, make schooner and a few kits then pick any of the islands we want lol. Combat timer being 9 hrs gives us so much choice in who to raid aswell. We don’t even keep anything we raid, we popcorn most of it. 

I will say mortars are the main issue to our playstyle. 1 or 2 active defenders can fight our 8-10 off  using mainly mortars (depending on the day and who can be fucked logging in to raid) 

id like mortars nerfed to not destroy our cannons on carts so easy. Also I’d love it if the devs added some sort of cannon/ mortar to put on ships to raid and grief with. 

I used to care about pvpve/ trying to keep game population alive by trying to stop/slow griefing , but not so much anymore with this new playstyle. We don’t even have a base anymore. We are just pirates now. It’s a shame the game is losing so many players, but it’s mostly been helicopter parent mega companies coming to counter our raids because we are hitting their bobs. So less megas means easier raids atleast.

Edited by Polar Express
Grammar

On 3/17/2019 at 11:37 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Hey man, thanks for posting that for me.

Mr. Mullet Force doesn't understand that you can actually do two things at once.  Like walk and chew bubblegum. 

Hey look, I did something else during that time too...

ScreenShot0050.jpg

ScreenShot0051.jpg

You shoot BB guns at me, and I return fire with shotguns, Mr. Hardcore.  LOL

You dont realize that 2nd and 3rd player have a better K/D than you, do you?

Youre a perfect example for the so called "Dunning-Kruger-Effect".

Oh, by the way, ill start argumenting like you do. So.. i was in the Top 10 of a very, very popular browsergame once. So i am right, you are wrong. Deal with it.

Edited by Dingiva