Sign in to follow this  
Skinner NA PVE

Claim flag cool down (1 week)

How bad would it break the current system if the claim flag cool down (to place a new flag after one has capped) to 1 week.

It seems it’s already in the code and would just need to be adjusted.

also If possible a grid underlay that defines claims, no overlap allowed, I guess it would make claims square or rectangular.

Also as a fun kicker, no one can claim adjacent claims.

while we are at it claims are personally owned and travel with you, too many good people playing solo/small group cause they don’t want to lose their stuff. I agree totally.

3 hours ago, Skinner NA PVE said:

How bad would it break the current system if the claim flag cool down (to place a new flag after one has capped) to 1 week.

It seems it’s already in the code and would just need to be adjusted.

also If possible a grid underlay that defines claims, no overlap allowed, I guess it would make claims square or rectangular.

Also as a fun kicker, no one can claim adjacent claims.

while we are at it claims are personally owned and travel with you, too many good people playing solo/small group cause they don’t want to lose their stuff. I agree totally.

The grid system with a hex grid overlay to prevent gaps/ovelaps is something that a few of us have been requesting for a good while. It makes perfect sense.

Personally owned, eh, I claim some land, join a company who builds a badass base on that land, then I leave the company and take their base with me?

No adjacent claims would leave too much land unclaimable. The idea of the hex grid is to tighten up everything, so that there are no gaps or overlaps. What happens if Company A claims a spot, and Company B claims a spot 2 spaces over. Now there would be space unclaimable by anyone.

edit: Unless what you are saying is that no one can claim 2 spaces together, which would suck too. Unable to have your water claim built and connected to the stuff in your base claim? Unable to build a big intricate base that is larger than 1 claim in size, unable to protect the resources closest to your base, etc

Edited by MeatSammich

42 minutes ago, MeatSammich said:

The grid system with a hex grid overlay to prevent gaps/ovelaps is something that a few of us have been requesting for a good while. It makes perfect sense.

Personally owned, eh, I claim some land, join a company who builds a badass base on that land, then I leave the company and take their base with me?

No adjacent claims would leave too much land unclaimable. The idea of the hex grid is to tighten up everything, so that there are no gaps or overlaps. What happens if Company A claims a spot, and Company B claims a spot 2 spaces over. Now there would be space unclaimable by anyone.

edit: Unless what you are saying is that no one can claim 2 spaces together, which would suck too. Unable to have your water claim built and connected to the stuff in your base claim? Unable to build a big intricate base that is larger than 1 claim in size, unable to protect the resources closest to your base, etc

I hear that a lot about personal ownership. How is it any different for the individual who builds the bad ass base then gets kicked and has nothing. At least going into it with personal owned if everything falls apart you know what you are leaving with.

The idea of non-adjacent would make it impossible for an individual to monopolize a single area. To solve grieving your claim extends say 15x15 foudations but you can only build on the 12x12 center. This would prevent walled off gardens blocking everything.

hexes have long been used in mini wargames because they are much better at pathing along natural features than squares/rectangles.

I live on a peninsula surrounded on three sides by unuseable harbor with a narrow L shaped strip of resource land in front of the cliffs with a little bit of beach for a base.  I need multiple claims to be able to reach out to dock and shipyards.  The problem with the predefined grid is what if it stops right at the shoreline - you need multiple claims to cover a sea/land base.

Edited by krazmuze

32 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

hexes have long been used in mini wargames because they are much better at pathing along natural features than squares/rectangles.

I live on a peninsula surrounded on three sides by unuseable harbor with a narrow L shaped strip of resource land in front of the cliffs with a little bit of beach for a base.  I need multiple claims to be able to reach out to dock and shipyards.  The problem with the predefined grid is what if it stops right at the shoreline - you need multiple claims to cover a sea/land base.

My current spot is very similar to yours. I have a claim flag on the edge of the waterline, and it still didn't reach out far enough to hit water deep enough for a large shipyard, I had to place a second one on the bottom out in the water.

If the hypothetical hex grid was set up before there were any claims present, it would allow you to make an informed decision as to what the best claim spot would be for you. You could look and see that if you take the claim that stops at the shoreline, you're going to need to use a second claim to take the water, but over on the east side of the island is a claim spot that is half land/half water, but isn't as nice of a spot. Is it worth saving the extra claim for something else? Remember, the hypothetical hex grid wouldn't be applied to your current build, but post-wipe.

35 minutes ago, Skinner NA PVE said:

The idea of non-adjacent would make it impossible for an individual to monopolize a single area. To solve grieving your claim extends say 15x15 foudations but you can only build on the 12x12 center. This would prevent walled off gardens blocking everything.

The claim limit would limit how much you can monopolize. I would much rather have everything adjacent then running around everywhere for no reason. Okay, my base is on the south edge of the island, my shipyard is on the northwest side of the island, but on the other side of a harbor, my resource plot is on the far east side, but I can't get there without going all the way around this mountain because someone blocked off this choke point, etc... Whats the difference? I'd still have 3 claims on that island, regardless if they were near one another or spread out all over BFE. Just adds in a stupid amount of running, and stops you from developing your base as a complete, cohesive design.

While hex grids would be nice, the maps were not designed with that in mind so would not fit well.   

I would suggest the older claim always takes precidence.  so you could claim the area between to claims but you only get the unclaimed area.  The prior claim would still be in place.

While this change addresses the initial land grab, the fundamental problem with PvE and Claims remains,  what to do with claims of players that near inactive or manage to get a large number of them.   There are 1000's of claims, that the owner currently shows up once via fast travel every week or to for a moment or two just to keep the land. I do this to 9 lawless basses now,  they are spread all over the map, so I can harvest almost any resource during 2x weekend, the do ship runs during week to camps with things I need.

While this are each small camps, I could have just as easily pillared majority of those islands as players leave and the structures are can be demolished.    Few islands have had continuous ownership,    However I only once seen a claim go up for challenge, and that was after the wipe was announced.   There were two of us 3am, in morning as the timer expired. I decided just to allow him to have it as I have claims on 3 other islands, but it would have been nice to get a tundra claim closer to my main base.

Now this is solo, only one currently playing from a 8 person company, they are techinally still in the company, they have not logged in over a month.

But honestly, I prefer harvesting on lawless island, because even on Islands I have claims, most of the harvest area are 30% taxes.  I can be 50% more effective harvesting on lawless and less resource nodes are blocked.   I only keep my claims alive so I have somewhere to keep my stuff in case I am gone for more than 4 days.

The all lawless I think will work as long as the maintenance is not too high to be burdensome to players, and not to cheap that players can lock down large areas for long periods of time with little effort. 

While the a claims are nice, the math simply does not work for them in PvE.   It would be too small to build anything significant, or too large that not everyone can build.  I may generalize here, but most PvE players are not interested in going large companies.

1 hour ago, José Gaspar said:

I would suggest the older claim always takes precidence.  so you could claim the area between to claims but you only get the unclaimed area.  The prior claim would still be in place.

which is how the system should have been in the first place from day 1 

21 hours ago, Skinner NA PVE said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Players get unlimited flags but they have to wait a week in between placing each one?  What do you mean by a flag being capped?