Sign in to follow this  
Thor Ragnarock

Atlas needs more PVE content on PVPVE and PVE servers for the long term. Share ideas if you have any

Hi team, 

a couple of posters in here have had really good ideas. I really like the pvpve ideas personally as well as a faction system of some kind like planet side to a degree. Maybe it will be more beneficial if they allowed players to choose to join a faction or create a company instead. The faction system would be really good for new guys and solos looking to recruit or play in a safer environment overall. 

This maysound a little cheesy from a PvP mega company member. So here goes. Be gentle with me 😋

I have been fortunate enough to jump on darkside RP recently and I believe their rules and overall ethos really makes this game a lot of fun. I will 100% recommend to anyone looking for a change up. The game feels fresh and pretty fair for all groups and play styles. 

Check out the rules on their website. Really good stuff. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jatheish said:

We do have plans for more PVE content in the game; from dungeons, quests, missions, the list goes on but right now our focus is on this upcoming mega update and tackling some of our core design problems.

@Jatheish You response leaves me feeling like you skim read through the responses. Have the Devs discussed the PvPvE concept? What are your thoughts on the concept? Does it align with the direction you want to take the game? How do you plan on bringing life, meaning and purpose to the game?

Edited by Sklex

4 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

i really like that governor idea, but in freeport. like allow every company a 3 by 3 by 7 height build spot and trade kiosk in the front or maybe even premade buildings a company can claim... and make free port a bustling town. make the paths between plots beautiful and build plots close to main square only buildable for the top 10's or something special like that.. allow companies to only build on one or two freeports. put a duel arena and betting station/bounty board smack dab in the middle of freeports town square.
boom. that'd be sick.

EDIT: hell, you could make the plots or premade buildings buyable with gold for a certain amount of time like a day or so. Make it so you can display your banner and stuff. make it fancy. make it worth investing in that building. show off one's prestige. make the governor's building the fanciest of all. have a governor race once a week. everyone who owns a plot gets a vote. what governorship means to the people is decided by the people.

betting and bounty stations also include voting stations and maybe those top ten company housing could be for top ten merchant guilds. Only companies with a at least certain amount of players (5-10) should be able to buy a free port house. the owner of the company is the only one who can cast the vote representing the company who holds the freeport house. 

In the governor's palace, have a room where each governor signs a book log on a pedestal with their name and describes what they are trying to do as governor. Anyone can come into that room and look at past governors and see what they did and how long they were in power. I think that would add a whole nother layer of politics and lore to the game. Maybe one governor was trying to be a savior and his fleet stopped pirates from raiding cargo ships. maybe another governor was a pirate lord that blackmailed everyone into electing him and he ruled with an iron fist oppressing everyone who didn't vote for him. 

maybe have a governor's announcement bulletin board or announcement system where he can set up player made and ran events and tournaments, maybe even wars against other governors.

also, really, each one of the house could have a fenced in backyard where you could store a few tames. if a company gets stomped out in the world, it won't hurt so bad to fall back on their freeport home thus helping people stay in the game and not feel so defeated.

my diagram looks like a f'd up spider but i think its cool. 

Atlas diagram.png

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

I'd like to see way more depth in the crafting systems and tie that into some of the other suggestions.   Crafting should be more exclusive.  If you're a top animal tamer, you shouldn't also be able to be a top shipbuilder.  Same for weapons and armor, food, etc.   You shouldn't have to be able to make something to use it.   (And shipbuilder really needs to be a "thing".  You should be able to make them and sell them)   There needs to be more levels for each crafting specialty and more difference between them.  There ought to be only a handful of people that can make unique top tier customizations  to things.  If you're going out to capture an NPC town or do a difficult trade run, you can do it much more easily with well-crafted gear, ships, and the right food, and you might being back some rare crafting mats or designs afterward.

If we really were to end up in a pvpve world, something like that would help do it right.  Otherwise, you've just squashed 2 playstyles together with no reason at all for them to interact, and lots of reasons for them to avoid each other.  If pvp relied on skilled craftsmen from the pve side to do their thing, and pve relied on fighters from the pvp side to get them what they needed, that would help.  If a settlement had it's own economy that had to be raised through sales from the player shops, and had to use that money to build defenses and wage wars, then everybody has something to do to contribute to that.

Groups of players (or factions) ought to be able to change the state of the world.  There should be some accomplishment your group could do that would  give you a temporary advantage -  sail a difficult path to the pirate king and bring him some treasure or something, and you get good weather, 2x gathering, relief from giant snake spawns, treasure bonuses, etc.., until some other group gets there and gains favor.

Somebody upthread pointed out the different kinds of timelines in pvp games....pop in for 20 mins and do some 1 on 1 fighting for no reason and get back out, vs. longer timelines of spending days and weeks working up to do something big, using strategy and coordination.    This suggestion definitely belongs to the second path.

• Like 3

I would hope they discussed the PvPVE aspect at some point and would really like to see them try this out in a test server. I know of a couple unofficial servers which already use this method and have multiple PVE only squares with PVP squares in the rest. I would just like to see them actually try this out on official. Maybe they need to sort out the current next big update first since it's making huge adjustments to claims, war etc. But I definitely think it should be done during an iteration on the public servers after it's been tried on a test server. Just my opinion though.

• Like 2

The problem is the Devs believe the players can drive the creation of all the content. 

It's inspirational but ultimately not realistic. There's a thorn in their plan in the form of many human beings who take great joy from destroying others. Thus in the current format you will never see player citys rise from the ashes and last to become anything close to what I'm sure the Devs would like to see. Other players will ensure anything that rises sinks. It's human nature and the reason why this format does not work. 

I honestly don't know what they are thinking with their current itteration of trading posts unless there's something they aren't telling us. Any individual can make almost anything. Any individual can harvest what they need from a handful of islands. Usually 1. Thus what are trading posts going to achieve? Even as it is now, stopping by the company bank is a waste of time. You already have everything you need most of the time or you need more than the bank will offer and thus its more efficient to  simply go and gather what you need. 

It's like they are trying to be a big time MMO but have failed to stop and consider the elements that go into making a living breathing world that keeps the players engaged. You can't give everyone everything they need and expect them to keep playing. People play these games because the obtainment of objectives releases dopamine in the brain. The dopamine stops once you can do everything you need to do and then they leave to chase more exciting adventures. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sklex said:

The problem is the Devs believe the players can drive the creation of all the content. 

It's inspirational but ultimately not realistic. There's a thorn in their plan in the form of many human beings who take great joy from destroying others. Thus in the current format you will never see player citys rise from the ashes and last to become anything close to what I'm sure the Devs would like to see. Other players will ensure anything that rises sinks. It's human nature and the reason why this format does not work. 

I honestly don't know what they are thinking with their current itteration of trading posts unless there's something they aren't telling us. Any individual can make almost anything. Any individual can harvest what they need from a handful of islands. Usually 1. Thus what are trading posts going to achieve? Even as it is now, stopping by the company bank is a waste of time. You already have everything you need most of the time or you need more than the bank will offer and thus its more efficient to  simply go and gather what you need. 

It's like they are trying to be a big time MMO but have failed to stop and consider the elements that go into making a living breathing world that keeps the players engaged. You can't give everyone everything they need and expect them to keep playing. People play these games because the obtainment of objectives releases dopamine in the brain. The dopamine stops once you can do everything you need to do and then they leave to chase more exciting adventures. 

apparently you've never crafted a high lvl blueprint before. its takes hundreds and hundreds of hours of sailing, gathering and exploring to find all the different types of resources it takes to make just a couple BP's. Let alone make a whole ship out of BP parts. Some  BP's are especially hard to find, like mythical large speed sails. good luck finding that. But, let's say you found one and wanna make a pile of gold on the fly, you'll either sell the bp or if you have the mats, make a few and sell the product. there will always be a market for that. 

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Like 1

Why would you bother on a PvP server though? Chances of it being gone before you get the chance to use it are incredibly high in the current design. PvE players may for e-peen sake. 

Ultimately though it's a step in the right direction but not far enough. All of the high end blue prints are not necessary. Nice to have yes. But there's no need for them. Without need you don't get a mature economy.  

current design, sure. but the march mega update will change a lot of dynamics. you're gonna need some serious strength to stomp a fully online company. there  isn't gonna be much offlining people anymore. people are gonna have time to really stock up and defend themselves. Bp's are gonna be the name of the game after a short while.

• Like 1

True but what purpose will they have to play?
They will be able to build everything? Anyone can level up in almost everything given enough time and alphas to farm. 
Explore everything? The islands are about as boring as you can get. 
Experience everything? PvE content will be smashed before the week is up. 

What will drive them to keep playing? 

If we look around lots of players have left. Myself included. And not all because of PvP balance issues. For most people I know they just got bored. 

Edited by Sklex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

I would hope they discussed the PvPVE aspect at some point and would really like to see them try this out in a test server. I know of a couple unofficial servers which already use this method and have multiple PVE only squares with PVP squares in the rest. I would just like to see them actually try this out on official. Maybe they need to sort out the current next big update first since it's making huge adjustments to claims, war etc. But I definitely think it should be done during an iteration on the public servers after it's been tried on a test server. Just my opinion though.

Even though I made suggestions for it, I'd still not want to play on a server like that, I think.  One of the big differences between unofficials and officials is that the good unofficials have active moderation to prevent people from annoying everyone around them.  You won't get that on the official servers.

@Sklex I couldn't agree with you more 100% with your mindset. The trading system is a great idea but there isn't much worth trading. Yes the higher tier blueprints do take more resources but as I had seen others comment and stat and have stated the current blueprint system is borked. Many times a mid tier Fine or Journeyman rolls better on damage than most legendary/Mythic (both because they are more common and because the way the stats randomly roll). We made a few legendary items and had been grinding mythos for some mythical items and resources for but for what? I feel like the game has so much potential but it's currently a shell of what will be a good game once they get content in. But that is obvious it's EA and I am looking forward to them filling it in.

Winter Thorne makes a valid point they really should make true specializations this would encourage trade. They really need to expand on items you collect to make things. They can expand on items you can make as well. Carpenters for furniture and making unique items for boats, fishermen who have boats with nets to go fishing, whalers for whaling, black smiths, artillery, armorer, leather worker, lumberjack, miner etc etc. You could have items that only specializations can gather and craft and are required for recipes by other crafting specializations. This would definitely encourage an economy and trade. I Totally agree at the moment there is no point to trade. 

The PvP content already exists at the core of the game, players create that by just having the stuff that exists in a PvE world but by being in a PvP zone. 

Edit: Never say never on official... People said they would never wipe because they never wiped Ark... Yet here we are. They are listening to feedback and making changes. It's very possible it will be sorted by the end of EA.

Edited by Thor Ragnarock
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Even though I made suggestions for it, I'd still not want to play on a server like that, I think.  One of the big differences between unofficials and officials is that the good unofficials have active moderation to prevent people from annoying everyone around them.  You won't get that on the official servers.

Sounds like the perfect thing to suggest to the devs... This game is more than code, it's a community, and all good communities need good moderators. Grapeshot/Wildcard should invest in this.

• Like 3

- Instance based   Company or  preformed  group pve   islands , mission or  treasure reward based.

-   if AI permits  Sea  oriented search and destroy tasks.

- put bounty on heads and company`s   for pvp

- dont just fill  a island full of monsters,  put some work into it.

- attack events of army of the dead against islands. 

- more crafts, armors  diversity,

- keep character building to humanoid design  ,  not half yeti half ET. 

An idea I have been pondering on for a few days for pve content and could probably be expanded upon if not used as an example.

How about to start with to emphasise on the flag system for pve, all islands are pre owned by some pve entity, each island has a mini boss off sorts (a strong squad of sotd maybe) or set of quests to complete, upon being victorious from doing the boss/quests, we are given 1 deed to claim that island for a set amount of time 1-3 months ?, when timer runs out or say 7 days off, we get a  new quest to complete to keep our claim on that island, the quest will be open to all but closed as soon as someone has started said quest, the quest has a reasonable timer ofc.

• Like 1

they need to make aotd actual ships that use the wind that can be boarded. you get to fight them. then once the boss is defeated a few of the crew...skelletons...must be locked in a cage for 24 hours and fed like a tame they they turn back to people to hire.

11 hours ago, Thor Ragnarock said:

I agree, just keep the tribes a bit smaller. If your in a certain zone then those rules apply. Just make it so if you have a base in pvp then you cant have one in pve and vice versa. Yet you can still travel to the other zones to trade or be pirates respectively.

I dont think it's really possible to stop people from building in both. What I would do is use the multiplier's to create enticement in the PvP squares. 

PvE = 1x
PvP = 2x

Perhaps the further you go out the more the XP multiplier becomes. 

This creates an environment where pirate companies are more likely to try and create their own settlements in PvP zones ensuring base raiding is still an element of the game. The higher rates will appeal to them as it allows them to rebuild quicker after a war. 

• Like 1

they should enable the ark creatures/dino's into the game and islands. hell throw in dark and light magic and dino's too its the same game same company.

1 hour ago, Megalithic said:

they should enable the ark creatures/dino's into the game and islands. hell throw in dark and light magic and dino's too its the same game same company.

You are special, yes? Missed out on your special "daily participation trophy" or something? Tell you what there are like a zillion zombie games out there and they are a prime target for ya, wipe that snot off yer nose and go get em tiger.

WTF

8 hours ago, KarmaComa said:

An idea I have been pondering on for a few days for pve content and could probably be expanded upon if not used as an example.

How about to start with to emphasise on the flag system for pve, all islands are pre owned by some pve entity, each island has a mini boss off sorts (a strong squad of sotd maybe) or set of quests to complete, upon being victorious from doing the boss/quests, we are given 1 deed to claim that island for a set amount of time 1-3 months ?, when timer runs out or say 7 days off, we get a  new quest to complete to keep our claim on that island, the quest will be open to all but closed as soon as someone has started said quest, the quest has a reasonable timer ofc.

I like this idea. Something different and outside the box.

More story, more npc's, more life.

NPC merchant ships that are actually sloops/schooners/etc. If your company are pirates you could sink/loot npc ships. Otherwise you could sell materials to them (and buy things as you already can)

A company reputation system.

If you kill the crew on an npc ship you could claim the ship.

NPC pirates that randomly attack you.

NPC navy that pays you for sinking pirates but attack you if you're on their wanted list.

That kind of stuff. Why is this a good idea even for PVP? Flavour. And to make smaller, private servers more interesting. And to make it more of a pirate game.

• Like 1