Sign in to follow this  
George Catcher

SAILS. Is it worth hunting them?

I spent 2 days, hunting extreme high lvl SotD (30 and higher... top one I took down was lvl-60) and I especially expected to get some good quality sails blueprint from them. And I've got few. I spent then the whole day to replace 5 common speed sails and 1 common handling sail in my Galley to 4 masterworks speedsails and 2 mythic handling sails. Then I set those renew sails a-a-a-a-a-and...

(tha-da-a-a-a-a).

...I DID NOT NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE.

I'm puzzled. Are they actually worth it? Should I keep my desire to get as good sails as it possible? Or... all bonuses are so tiny, so it's like you spent all of your time, gold and resources and get your ship 0.269% faster (sarcasm)?

Lets' start with a handling one. Here the guy I've got:

RFXYGFk.jpg

There are 2 additional stats (beside durability):

Sail Acceleration: 119.254%. What does it mean? Does it mean that the ship acceleration provided by sail is 119% faster? And if there are 2 of 6 sails like that, does it means that they works just 2/6 of their strength? So that addition 19% will turn to 1/3 x 19 - is 6% more acceleration I've got? (the hell I need this acceleration?)

Sail Effective Angle: 109.832% If there is an effective counterwind angle of this sail is about 175° (after that - indicator start to turn red, found this info in youtube) then 9% more angle will provide me 15° extra. But 180° is max and all higher numbers will not work right?

And yeah - the main question. Are handling sails increases ship turning speed? Because when I've changed one common handling sail to 2 mythical ones my Galley's, the turn around time decreased from 2 minutes 36 sec to 2 minutes and 31 sec... which is about the same : ((

Next... well speedsails. I've got those guys:

JB95AK5.jpg

Sail Max Velocity: 110.526%. So again. If there are 4 of 6 sails like that, does it means my ship will get 4/6 of this buff and get just 6.7% more speed? THAT's amount of speed O_o now I'm faster then wind (sarcasm).

Sail Turning Effectiveness 110.488% What's this one? Is it increase the speed my sails turning? While default speed from max left to max right position is 4 seconds, the buff dramatically decrease it's time to 3.6 sec right? With captaining buff my time is 2.6 sec and this sail just do it 0.26 sec faster! Not sure if that's really matters anywhere. Especially with Galley - it turns so slow so you have plenty of time to turn your sails back and forward for several times.

Of course they are much more durable but... well... before and after anarchy I took down more then 50 SotD's and I lost just one sail in a battle and it was my mistake. So any SotD's usually do not provide even 12k of damage (enough to take out 1 sail in a Brig). That means I would not dramatically want this high amount of durability right?

So... the question is here. Are they worth it? If all I wrote above is actually works like that then... I spent 2 days for hunting, 1 day of crafting, tons of resources and more then 2k of gold and got my Galley:

- Turn around 3.3% faster (which is anyway extremely slow)

- Sail 6.7% faster (which I don't need in battles and for far travels there is Schooner there)

- My speedsails turn from left to right 0.26 sec faster... (which is useless improvement due to extremely slow Galley turning speed)

- 6% more acceleration (which again is useless because it's impossible to "dance" with SotDs by Galley)

- 2 slow sails catch all counterwind possible (but even with that - counterwind sailing is anyway extremely slow).

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

have you tried those small gains in pvp combat, cuz in my experience, at least in a brig and a schooner, worse items already make a big diference.

• Like 1

have you tried those small gains in pvp combat, cuz in my experience, at least in a brig and a schooner, worse items already make a big diference.

No. I'm at PvE server and talking about SotD's fighting and mostly - about Galley vs high lvl SotD. Before anarchy - I had my Brig and I've got Journeyman Cannon with 160% additional damage. THAT was really awesome improvement and It totally 100% worth it! My alpha-strike raised from 9600 to 15360! Yet with sails... well, I really don't feel any difference. And most important - the Mythic Blueprints are actually top ones, so there wont be much better numbers, right? (Actually I'm not sure... maybe there might be. I once got Mythical Cannon with just 107% damage... like hell any1 want this one?)

So maybe those pieces are worth in PvP? Or they greatly improve smaller ships (Brigs, Schooners) experience? I don't know yet...

Yea not 100% sure on the acceleration or how that works. They can definitely better expand on that. I also agree with the tiers. Is a masterwork at 106% better than a journeyman at 115%? I never took the time to figure this out because we kept finding fine and journeyman with much better base stats than any masterwork we got. I think we had finally found a masterwork with a few % higher but we didn't think it was worth the extra effort of gathering up all the extra alloys. If a masterwork at 106% is like a fine at 120% that would make sense to me, but I don't think it is. Maybe each cannon blueprint needs a base damage number in addition to the %. I definitely feel a masterwork should always outperform a lower tier but often the rng roll would give you insanely high durability instead. I think they should go back through and make a min/max for each tier and a masterwork should only ever drop slightly into legendary, legendary slightly into journeymen, etc etc. Each tier should slightly encroach on its neighbors. With the higher tiers having the most durability and damage maximum potential. Sometimes a masterwork will be crappier than a really good legendary but never worse than a journeyman.

• Like 2

wouldn't be too strong when u sail 50% faster than the rest in pvp...

I mean honestly.. what do you expect? Building a mythic ship and just have the opportunity to dominate every other ship?

It's fine right now, if u want something to do you need to change to pvp server or wait for new content

• Like 1

In a PvE situation I dont think it would make a difference because the ships of the damned kinda defy the laws of nature and move at the same speed regardless etc, in PVP though it definently does. The difference is also more noticeable when using smaller ships.

I think the max speed etc is actually based on the ship and not on the sails though, so lets say a galleon can move at a max speed of 60. Which is will only ever reach when using all speed sails with a full wind behind it, for each sail you might get an additional 6% on top of that maximum. So with 4 your maximum speed would go up to 84. With no wind though you will never reach 60 let alone 84. So i think the only time it would make a diffference is when your hitting your boats theoretical top speed. The reason i think this is because it says max velocity, not increased velocity.

• Like 1

Also @Thor Ragnarock and @George Catcher the blueprints are entirely random, the difference is the multipliers. They usually spread their points over durability and damage so its possible to have all of its points put into one or the other. All the quality done is set the maximum amount of points it can have. So you can sadly get a mythical with 0 extra damage and over 250% durability. Below are examples I have seen in game on official pvp. I have seen others that are more insane but they usually have a 0 in one stat and nearly double in another.

A Common can be anywhere between 100% and 115%

A Fine can be anywhere between 100% and 130%

A Journeyman can be between 100% and at least 168% (we had a godly medium cannon blheprint with 2% extra durability)

A Mastercraft can be between 100% and 180%.

I dont have anything for legendaries because they have always been worse than my journeymans... but id assume they can range from 100% to 200% or higher.

A Mythical... now this one is dodgy but I have seen a cannon doing 184% damage and 196% durability. Which makes me believe you could hit a 300% in damage if you got some lucky rolls.

But % for % each one does the same. So a common blueprint with the same % as a masterwork will give the exact same actual bonus. And since there is no increase on the minimum stat its entirely possible to get a legendary blunderbuss with the exact same sgats as a common craft one.... sadly we own that blueprint

• Like 1

My opinion is they’re not worth it. It would be if sea battles were really ‘a thing’. Then things like portions of seconds would differ. But with the current system.. sure I would always put them on if I had all the resources available. But I wouldn’t pay or to look for the different resources. Just not worth it. 

• Like 1

Last week we got a masterwork large cannon with 100% damage, and a few sods after that we got a fine 126%. It seems to me that better quality bps have a better chance to roll stats higher, but the final result it's complely rng dependant.

• Like 1

I mean honestly.. what do you expect? Building a mythic ship and just have the opportunity to dominate every other ship?

To build mythic ship which is way to strong is the same extreme situation as if you build mythic and it's just the same as common. Changes must be reasonable. But don't forget - you not just get your mythic BPs. And then just build it. You risk (go and kill some SotD's lvl 50+), get the highest blueprint possible, then you spend insane amount of time to craft thing (try to farm mythos, hah? Or get 6 types of each resources?) and after all your efforts you get for like 5% unnecessary improvement which you probably wont even notice...? This is wrong. It's just doesn't worth it at all.

And aslo the most problem is not just there. Things should get their improvement in their purpose details and add some more. By that I mean:

- Only planks should be way more durable (they are now, all fine here)... but what if there will be buff decreases minimum health for leaks?

- Speed sails must provide you more speed. They are sometimes, yeah, but... why would I want them to turn 0.26 sec faster and be for like 30k of health? They could instead increase full speed handling and wind angle?

- Handling sails must provide handling. They do not do anything with it right now (they just do wind angle, which must be buff for speedsails, and acceleration which is anyway up to speedsails rising). They should instead increase your 60% sails (battle position) handling and maybe decrease counterwind speed penalty.

I've got some bluprints for ships aslo.

- Repairment box should decrease amount of resources for repairs and increase speed of repairs (right now it's just more durable).

- Food storage must increase time food needs to spoil (right now it's just more durable).

- Ammunition storage must provide a bit faster reload speed (right now it's just more durable) and maybe crit chance for your cannons (there is no crits here right now right?).

- Cannons must not be just about damage. How about range, reload speed or even cannonballs speed (and also crits?)

There must NOT be the situation when you get your mythic speedsails and sail with 200% of speed. But not 5% either... (IMAO 20% - 30% is fine here).

They usually spread their points over durability and damage so its possible to have all of its points put into one or the other.

Yeah. I saw masterworks cannon with a 100% of damage once...

Edited by George Catcher

7 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

To build mythic ship which is way to strong is the same extreme situation as if you build mythic and it's just the same as common. Changes must be reasonable. But don't forget - you not just get your mythic BPs. And then just build it. You risk (go and kill some SotD's lvl 50+), get the highest blueprint possible, then you spend insane amount of time to craft thing (try to farm mythos, hah? Or get 6 types of each resources?) and after all your efforts you get for like 5% unnecessary improvement which you probably wont even notice...? This is wrong. It's just doesn't worth it at all.

- which risk? It's not hard to farm SotD... hard part is to find highlevel ones...

- if you have a working company.. ressources aren't the problem, but well you need to collect different stuff thats true

- mythos? that's easy to farm on polar or golden age regions

- 5% it's an huge increase for sailingspeed. It gives you a huge advantage if you fight properly. Your enemy won't be able to flee.

You need to think through things in pve AND pvp way. You can't demand changes which favours your desire but screw the game up

Did you even drive next to a normal ship? You will see the difference for sure

but to your overall question: In PvE sight it's not worth farming those blueprints.. because you need much more time to get them as you need less time traveling afterwards

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, znasser said:

Last week we got a masterwork large cannon with 100% damage, and a few sods after that we got a fine 126%. It seems to me that better quality bps have a better chance to roll stats higher, but the final result it's complely rng dependant.

I def think it is RNG dependent. Like a lot of RNG it is underwhelming more often than not.

At level 51 I respeced into all Intelligence to see if the crafting buff. Also had gear that increased my int, and a crow on my shoulder 375% intel total. Then I crafted some stuff cannons, puckles, planks, sails all fine to journeyman. Crafter bonus on those items ranged from 1.5% all the way to 13% with the majority being more towards 2-5.5%. I personally feel the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

• Like 2

5% it's an huge increase for sailingspeed. It gives you a huge advantage if you fight properly. Your enemy won't be able to flee.

Will he be able to flee with the same speed then? : )

You need to think through things in pve AND pvp way. You can't demand changes which favours your desire but screw the game up

Yeah well I see your point. But then maybe DEV's should separate how thing happens in PvP and PvE. Like it happened in WOW (as far as I know - in PVP all players are equal and better equipment provide just a tiny amount of additional stats, while in PvE you growing from a little man to a godlike).

1 minute ago, George Catcher said:

Will he be able to flee with the same speed then? : )

Yeah well I see your point. But then maybe DEV's should separate how thing happens in PvP and PvE. Like it happened in WOW (as far as I know - in PVP all players are equal and better equipment provide just a tiny amount of additional stats, while in PvE you growing from a little man to a godlike).

Why should they do that? Ships are fast enough, if you don't want to sail you might be able to take an airplane on some private servers

Ships are fast enough, if you don't want to sail you might be able to take an airplane on some private servers

It's not just about ship's speed, as I mentioned above.