Sign in to follow this  
Tiberius_theron

RIP PVE

Never seen a game die literally overnight, even an EA game. Atlas Devs just broke that record the second they announced the new claim system changes. Which is the main complaint I keep hearing from other players who are leaving and not returning. No one wanted pillar spam, and that's what we got. Now you'll just have single players spamming whole islands, and still no place to call home.

I will honestly be surprised if the project isn't completely shut down. The huge PVE guild next to us went back to Conan Exiles permanently. Gave all their stuff away, not that it matters. Our zone went completely dead and these players are not returning. Which is concerning. I have no interested in playing a 700+ island ghost town game. Looks like even our small community is going to a stable unofficial server. 

This is a valid concern and needs to be addressed. No one I know wants pillar spam owned islands. No one. 

Edited by Tiberius_theron
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are changes coming with the patch to address the pillar spam, so if it were me I'd at least give them a shot before running around yelling, "The sky is falling!" But you do you, buddy. 

Not that I have 100% confidence in these guys, but they do seem to be trying and at least occasionally getting some things right. 

22 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

There are changes coming with the patch to address the pillar spam 

Was there some info posted somewhere?  I haven't seen any in here and didn't want to go on a social media treasure hunt for it.

Just now, Winter Thorne said:

Was there some info posted somewhere?  I haven't seen any in here and didn't want to go on a social media treasure hunt for it.

I looked everywhere and have seen nothing either.

I've seen a post from @Dollie that they have seen our (PVE) concerns and are talking with the team for some solutions. There is nothing official stating that they're doing anything different with PVE from what is on their captains log. So as of right now only time will tell if anything different is coming.

I built a gal (Named "Make Atlas Great Again, bright red) and left my base, figure I would sail around the map until the wipe.  I haven't seen a chat in 3 days.  I did see a ship 2 days ago, but that is literally the last sign of a player ive seen.  Announcing a wipe this early is the dumbest thing they could have done.  Wipes are fine, 3-4 week notice is dumb.  2-3 Days is more than enough, just enough time for people to blow crap up with their remaining resources. 

3-4 Weeks is enough time for people to start other games and forget all about Atlas.  DUMB.

Anyways, if you see a bright red Gally sailing by its me, MAGA!! (Make Atlas Great Again)

Edited by Olthoi
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

It was mentioned in their live stream, I don't think it's been explicitly stated in writing as of yet. But anyway, yeah, the new upkeep system is intended to address the pillar/foundation spam and whatnot in PVE, which is vital considering the claim flags are going away entirely for PVE. 

Now, if it turns out the new system doesn't do the job properly I will definitely be back here on the forums saying exactly what I think. Until then it's all just speculation. 

I am waiting to see but it would still suck to have pillar spam everywhere and have to wait for it to decay even if decay is 3 days that is 3 days too long,i say you have to put a resource building down to pay the upkeep and the building itself  have a claim radius no building allowed outside its claim or something along those lines.not sure anything will ever be perfect for everyone no matter what they do though

1 hour ago, Buffone said:

,i say you have to put a resource building down to pay the upkeep and the building itself  have a claim radius no building allowed outside its claim or something along those lines.not sure anything will ever be perfect for everyone no matter what they do though

This could be it for PVE. Make it upgradable with gold, bigger bank bigger area and bigger upkeep. Something like tier1 has room for a small shipyard but not a big one and cost 100 of each material per day. 1000 gold to go to tier 2 = 1,5 x size and 5 times upkeep  and upkeep requires 2 types of each material 10.000 tier 3 double size and 15 times upkeep with 3 types of material, 50.000 tier 4 etc.

This will also keeps a challenge in the game and gives aditional goals to work towards. Bigger bank is also a bigger risk since you need to keep te upkeep flowing (as a group or solo) or get downgraded and loose buildings outside of your available space. Also if you want to use more space you need to travel to get the different type of materials. Drawback is the game needs to reserve the bigger space upfront to make future growth guaranteed or at least up to a certain level. You can create a time limit by limiting how much resources can be put into the bank per tier so players have to refill it at least once every few weeks.

Could be even better if areas do not need to be a circle and fit into available space and use the sea as an overflow but this is probably hard to implement in the existing engine. 

Edited by Jannes Wal

2 hours ago, Dreadmill said:

My Gally is The Great Wipe and it’s yellow so I will be on the lookout for you! (NA-PVE) As far as pillar spam goes, it’s a very easy fix. If ships, npcs and tames need resources, so do your buildings. You will never be able to keep up with 100 ‘building troughs’ all over the island. Only certain types will find enjoyment in feeding pillars. We call those people ‘greedy griefers’ and they will always exist but at least I will know they are going to be working for their weird gameplay choices. The 2 factors that matter are the radius of the bin and what a pillar costs to keep it up. I’m very interested to see how this works. And now I will duck....

Right, but this also means that if I implement pillars into my extravagant, legitimate build, I'm doing nothing but grinding materials to keep it from collapsing.  It's asinine.  At the end of the day, I'm not sure how it gets simpler than "Limit claim flags per person/company and add an upkeep that is designed to deal with abandoned claim flags."

Alongside this concern, you WILL have people who will invest the entirety of their gaming time into ruining the experiences of others.  I, for one, am not looking forward to sitting at my base for 3, 4, or however many days unable to sail while I wait for the decay timers on pillars blocking my harbor to go off.

Edited by Mithrian
  • Like 2

Thatch foundations are extremely cheap to make, hell you don't even really need to upkeep/repair them, just throw a new one down every 3-4 day.

1 minute ago, True Sonja said:

Thatch foundations are extremely cheap to make, hell you don't even really need to upkeep/repair them, just throw a new one down every 3-4 day.

Yup, just take a trip around current lawless islands...and understand that it takes next to nothing (literal seconds) to harvest enough mats to start dropping thatch foundations every time they decay.  Not fun...

its an easy fix, the one claim per island system they did for pvp would be just fine for pve, minus the pvp/war hour. there's no reason a group cant lay down a claim on an island, and have allies or randoms settle on it. i'd rather an ally or  ourselves have the power to remove a toxic player/group if need be instead of dealing with the inevitable pillar/foundation grief someone could easily do if they get pissy about something. I was actually pretty stoked for the one claim per island system until I found out it was just for pvp. seeming as how since the game launch claim spam has been a major issue for most, with the most recommended suggestion is reduce claims per groups, not remove them completely. hopefully they'll come to their sense's but I doubt it. our group has already left as well. pretty sure I'm the only one still hanging around to see what happens.

Edited by NazONLINE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NazONLINE said:

its an easy fix, the one claim per island system they did for pvp would be just fine for pve, minus the pvp/war hour. there's no reason a group cant lay down a claim on an island, and have allies or randoms settle on it. i'd rather an ally or  ourselves have the power to remove a toxic player/group if need be instead of dealing with the inevitable pillar/foundation grief someone could easily do if they get pissy about something. I was actually pretty stoked for the one claim per island system until I found out it was just for pvp. seeming as how since the game launch claim spam has been a major issue for most, with the most recommended suggestion is reduce claims per groups, not remove them completely. hopefully they'll come to their sense's but I doubt it. our group has already left as well. pretty sure I'm the only one still hanging around to see what happens.

This creates a situation wer the lucky players who are around right after the wipe can claim (it will be like 1000 islands) and just like now some of them will claim even more then one island. These are the real spammers. Better have 5 pillar spammers living next to you on one island than one ahole who will only let you build if you are nice to him and will ban you as a toxic player if you dont like his MAGA ship or something.

While playing ark official, we had massive piller spam. I started my own unofficial. I still think ark is a good game.

Atlas is a different beast you cannot run an unofficial server that gives you the whole game experience as each grid is it's own biome. 

Personally I think that the claim system that had was doomed to get wiped it was not sustainable. I don't know why they don't just copy the pvp system of upkeep with the old small claim system we were using. With the addition of making each flag you have costing more and more upkeep. For example first flag is free, second flag costs normal amounts what ever that should be and the third cost 1.5x what the second cost and the forth is 1.5x the third and on and on. 

In this setup you would really have to want that 1 more flag as the cost increase is so steep.

• Like 1

I simply don't understand people like OP. This is EA game. That game changes massively as time goes. If March update claim flag system won't work then they will rethink and try to find out how it could work. Thats why it's EA. Devs need to figure out working system, they need peoples feedback, they need system which works perfectly before they release the game.

If you don't want to participate in this process then go play other games and wait until this game is finished released. But I assure you claim flag system can be totally different again in like 2 months.

Try that new system, put some feedback, tell developers the flaws and your suggestions how to do that in a right way. But don't judge the March claim system before it actually goes live. Maybe they will put more rules on PvE servers to prevent spam pillaring (we still don't know how fast the decay will be) and griefers. We simply don't have enough info to judge that system yet.

Many people don't play now because of wipe. Its pretty logical especially on PvE servers. 

Edited by Willard

early access is just a marketing idea to sell more games 

PVE has no interest anymore

i love casu players with 20 hours  played treating others with 500+ hours of crying noobs

may be this explains a lot of things, u achieved nothing so wipe or not u dont care, but people who spent a lot of time can have an other opinion

we got so many bugs so many bad things but we continued to play

and devs wipe everything since they failed their own game

not sure it was planned like this

wait im looking for something postive but i cant find any

if u like spending (a lot of) time for nothing this game is for u

21 minutes ago, Aztro said:

if u like spending (a lot of) time for nothing this game is for u

That is gaming in general, u just keep the moments!

I achieved fun and relaxation.  If I achieved anything greater than this then I need to take a serious look at my life. 

• Haha 1

If no one else is playing, there will be plenty of space to build.

I expect severe greifing the first week or so, but then the upkeep will kick in.  I am hoping each set of connected structures needs to updated individually, no area upkeep.   So if you pillar spam each of the pillar will have to be have upkeep applied separately.    People with large structure will have large upkeep, but only have to upkeep each free standing structure, connect them with walkways it becomes a single structure again.  I know they check for connected structures for foundation support so it can be done.

IHMO only foundations, pillars, and other free standing structures need upkeep.   encourage people to build nice bases, not minimalist containers for goods.

1 structure alone  = decaytime 1 hour

every attached structure increases the time by 1 or 2 hours.  in this case a full base will dacay very slow to a maximum of ? 20 days ?  OK  then the Pillar's will grow high . 10x ressources for trolling would be stupid anyway.

Edited by Erryog