Klaus Störtebeker

Let us have a home and challenges in PvE, please

Hello everybody!

My wife and I play ATLAS since its release in December. It was the first game in years, which we both enjoyed equally. We both like different aspects of the game.

I love the exploring with the ship. I really like the mechanic how to steer the ships. Discovering a new island with different flora and fauna is awesome. I remeber the first time I saw Yeties and I just reasently discovered a desert with cactus and stuff.

She enjoys a lot the taming and breeding and running around with the animals.

I loved creating a home for us (the building part) and providing stables and ressources for her animals.

We have a small prt of a small Island, we call our home, which we improve weekly and increase our "zoo".

We play on PvE because we are not interested in fighting. We enjoyy the Robinson Crusoe part :-)

Normally I am not so much of someone that writes in forums, especially because I am a product manager in a computer gaming company and I know, it mostly doeesn't reach the decision makers.

But I would like to mention the 2-3 things I wish they will not happen and one thing I actually would like reversed.

It feels like the game is getting easier and easier and you take away so many challenges. It shouldn't be so fast to achieve everything. That takes away the feeling of accomplishment.

1. Please do NOT let everybody spawn on any server or even island. Rather make it more difficult to reach certain region of the world. Don't let everybody get a Ramshakle Sloop from freeports (in 5-10 min). It was sooo much fun sailing of with the raft into the polar reagion and finding an excluded island. The wolves were crazy hard but after 100 attempts haveing a little cottage, that was safe from the wolves felt so great.
  2. We had bears on the island but no way of taming them because we had no honey. So we build a ship and I sailed out to find an island with honey to get it back to my wife for taming. I went from island to island. I was searching and asked people if they have seen bees and honey. After days I finally found honey. After some struggle with lions and crocodiles I managed to harvest some and sailed back to the arctic, where my wive tamed our first bear. Now you can tame with anyberry and makes it easy with the 2x taming weekends. Everybody has a bear by now. Where is the challenge?
    Same thing was for Giraffes: Finding wild beet, getting seeds, growing beet and taming a giraffe felt sooo rewarding. Using any vegetable feels like cheating and not special.
  3. By now you can find almost all ressources you need on every island. To encourage trading and exploring the islands should only provide the basic ressources and 1-2 special one. This would get people to interact and wander the whole world.
  4. The change, that is supposed to happen, that makes me the most sad is the removal of the clam flags. It felt great to have a place, that is yours. Our little paradise. Having a small piece of land, that you can call "home" is needed in this kind of game. Building a base is a big part of the game. We would like to have a garden and nature surrounding it, too. We want to create something inviting for other players as well. With the new system it will never be home and surrounding nature is impossible. Either people could build right next to you or it is spammed with pillars and/or foundations. Please give every player just 1 area (claim), where they can build their little paradise - their home.

The wipe hurts but please let us keep the game, we enjoyed so many hours. Let us have a little home; reinstate challenges!

My apologies, if it sounds like whining but I needed to say, what we feel about the upcoming changes. Maybe some who can do something about it (the product manager) hears about it.

Kind regards

Klaus Störtebeker

EU PvE

• Like 11

I appreciate that you enjoyed those aspects, but others, like myself disagree, and so do the devs.

The proposed changes by the devs need to be the way forward to promote mass people playing online. Especially spawning where ever you want.

It's important to not crowd the Freeport like on first launch day. So we need to be able to just start out on any sector right from the beginning.

Many People keep asking for a single claim. What happens if you're late to the game and can not find shore line to put your claim on. Are you supposed to be land locked on a single island forever?

1 hour ago, Bowtie said:

I appreciate that you enjoyed those aspects, but others, like myself disagree, and so do the devs.

The proposed changes by the devs need to be the way forward to promote mass people playing online. Especially spawning where ever you want.

It's important to not crowd the Freeport like on first launch day. So we need to be able to just start out on any sector right from the beginning.

The lagging was just the first 2 days. They are taking away the whole exploring.

24 minutes ago, Axden1 said:

Many People keep asking for a single claim. What happens if you're late to the game and can not find shore line to put your claim on. Are you supposed to be land locked on a single island forever?

There is enough room, if everybody has just one shore claim. You do not even need that. it is enough if one of your company has one.

• Like 1

We too remember how our journey began with a smile.

First - we headed to some desert regions. We didn't find any free land to settle. Once we found an island where there were NO structures at all. We thought we lucky... but then, when we went ashore there were like 50 wild animals at once attacked us, and crocks even followed and attacked us on a raft! Bad luck... we were running from there full sails : )

And then landed at peaceful tundra's shore.

There were tough days... we HAD TO spend all nights inside of our temporary building (because we were dying of cold), and during daytime we were building our firs ship. Then far south travel for saps... and because there was so difficult to gather it (due to crazy wild animals), we gathered just enough to build a fur armor for ourselves (then we made two storage fulfilled with saps). After a while through trial and error we made it to nice and safe existence.

It was our great adventure. It start with two trembling guys and ended with a bright and peaceful village shining through the night (we even built guest piers with unlocked houses, tannery and unlocked trap for a bears here : ) And we provide a ppl a honey if they don't have one and trying to tame high lvl bear).

IpKhL9f.jpg 

We always called the place "for those strong in spirit" but... well... DEVs did huge job to turn this place for wimps. It's like betray hard rock and turn yourself to pop : ) 

We love our Tundra so much so we will settle there again after a wipe : ) But I guess there wont be that adventure between life and death anymore.

We only hope after a wipe all players will head to southern regions so we could look for a good place in renewed eastern Tundra : )

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Catcher said:

There were tough days... we HAD TO spend all nights inside of our temporary building (because we were dying of cold), and during daytime we were building our firs ship. Then far south travel for saps... and because there was so difficult to gather it (due to crazy wild animals), we gathered just enough to build a fur armor for ourselves (then we made two storage fulfilled with saps). After a while through trial and error we made it to nice and safe existence.

I know the feeling. Was the same for us. Took quite while before we found syrup a few islands north to finally get the fur armor. In the beginning there was no saps in the Tundra. We loved the challenge. It really felt like a survival game.
Before that we had to so spts of 3 campfires everywhere to actually gather during the night.

While writing that I have another wish for a change: Dying should be more punished or survival incenteviced. Really trying to stay alive is (at least was) a challenge. But you can (and most people do) just run around naked and die all the time to avoid the survival part. Just come out frech from a bed 😞

• Like 1

Maybe the DEVs could create "hardcore" (as it was supposed to be) server besides the "normal" one.

- no alternative taming fruits

- not all materials everywhere

- no nerved animals

- just a few freeports with distant islands

- no ramshackles for (almost) free

- debuff at death

==> fighting for life and a home - survival!

I agree, game became so soft after the community cried about certain things and devs correct it TOO much to the point that I barely play anymore. 

1 hour ago, Klaus Störtebeker said:

Maybe the DEVs could create "hardcore" (as it was supposed to be) server besides the "normal" one.

- no nerved animals

- debuff at death

Or, the above could easily be a mod you play on a private server, but ya, maybe they will make a hardcore server.

I do think the majority of players do not want the above. I play on private servers, some of the above list is about the opposite of what I look for in a server. I'm also not looking for a home of any sort on a server. I in fact like to start on a new server every few weeks. I like the initial few weeks where everything is new and you need to search for islands and resources and build a base. Unlike you though, I wouldn't want that to go on for months on the same server. I want it to go for a few weeks and have a conclusion. Then start it again on a different server.

Different play styles for different folks I think, which is what I love about the private servers. If you look long enough, just about anyone can find one that they like, or even make their own.

6 hours ago, Klaus Störtebeker said:

Hello everybody!

My wife and I play ATLAS since its release in December. It was the first game in years, which we both enjoyed equally. We both like different aspects of the game.

I love the exploring with the ship. I really like the mechanic how to steer the ships. Discovering a new island with different flora and fauna is awesome. I remeber the first time I saw Yeties and I just reasently discovered a desert with cactus and stuff.

She enjoys a lot the taming and breeding and running around with the animals.

I loved creating a home for us (the building part) and providing stables and ressources for her animals.

We have a small prt of a small Island, we call our home, which we improve weekly and increase our "zoo".

We play on PvE because we are not interested in fighting. We enjoyy the Robinson Crusoe part 🙂

Normally I am not so much of someone that writes in forums, especially because I am a product manager in a computer gaming company and I know, it mostly doeesn't reach the decision makers.

But I would like to mention the 2-3 things I wish they will not happen and one thing I actually would like reversed.

It feels like the game is getting easier and easier and you take away so many challenges. It shouldn't be so fast to achieve everything. That takes away the feeling of accomplishment.

1. Please do NOT let everybody spawn on any server or even island. Rather make it more difficult to reach certain region of the world. Don't let everybody get a Ramshakle Sloop from freeports (in 5-10 min). It was sooo much fun sailing of with the raft into the polar reagion and finding an excluded island. The wolves were crazy hard but after 100 attempts haveing a little cottage, that was safe from the wolves felt so great.
  2. We had bears on the island but no way of taming them because we had no honey. So we build a ship and I sailed out to find an island with honey to get it back to my wife for taming. I went from island to island. I was searching and asked people if they have seen bees and honey. After days I finally found honey. After some struggle with lions and crocodiles I managed to harvest some and sailed back to the arctic, where my wive tamed our first bear. Now you can tame with anyberry and makes it easy with the 2x taming weekends. Everybody has a bear by now. Where is the challenge?
    Same thing was for Giraffes: Finding wild beet, getting seeds, growing beet and taming a giraffe felt sooo rewarding. Using any vegetable feels like cheating and not special.
  3. By now you can find almost all ressources you need on every island. To encourage trading and exploring the islands should only provide the basic ressources and 1-2 special one. This would get people to interact and wander the whole world.
  4. The change, that is supposed to happen, that makes me the most sad is the removal of the clam flags. It felt great to have a place, that is yours. Our little paradise. Having a small piece of land, that you can call "home" is needed in this kind of game. Building a base is a big part of the game. We would like to have a garden and nature surrounding it, too. We want to create something inviting for other players as well. With the new system it will never be home and surrounding nature is impossible. Either people could build right next to you or it is spammed with pillars and/or foundations. Please give every player just 1 area (claim), where they can build their little paradise - their home.

The wipe hurts but please let us keep the game, we enjoyed so many hours. Let us have a little home; reinstate challenges!

My apologies, if it sounds like whining but I needed to say, what we feel about the upcoming changes. Maybe some who can do something about it (the product manager) hears about it.

Kind regards

Klaus Störtebeker

EU PvE

I get what you want, and ark single player would be the thing for you. They will never make a single player atlas so that is why I said ark single player.

ark is better in any form of the game. Pretty soon atlas will become even more like ark which will be very awesome especially since your wife likes taming and breeding. Pretty soon it will be her paradise. 

If you want to build a home for her you will never have a problem doing that..... ever.

what I do recommend though it to go to sleep early the day before the wipe. Wake up right when it happens and go find her the perfect spot. That is what a good husband would do IRL.

once you have found your claim, nobody will be able to take it from you unless you are gone for over two weeks.

i like the sound of what you are doing. The only thing that sounded dumb was when you said you didn’t like the new changes. That was pretty dumb but you can still have a lot of fun after the new changes happen.

hopefully you can give her what she deserves. If you can’t okease don’t blame the devs for your shortcomings 

2 hours ago, Klaus Störtebeker said:

- no nerved animals

- debuff at death

First off you have no clue what hardcore means.

on ark we had hardcore servers. You know what happens when someone dies? They go back to level 1. Even if you were level 100 and spend the weeks to get to 100 on atlas, guess what? If you die, you go back to level 1. 

Dont give me this crap of what you think hardcore is. Because real hardcore is if you die you lose everything.

dont come here trying to act like you want something hard lol. You just want something that is very slightly more difficult so you can tell everyone you are hardcore.

never use that word again

EDIT: as it was supposed to be. Are you retarded? No, this game should have been a lot harder than it was. The suggestions you made was simply to make it easier for you. You should be ashamed of yourself. Smh. 

Edited by Realist

1 hour ago, pishvo said:

I agree, game became so soft after the community cried about certain things and devs correct it TOO much to the point that I barely play anymore. 

To be honest you wouldn’t be good enough for hardcore anyways 

3 hours ago, George Catcher said:

We too remember how our journey began with a smile.

First - we headed to some desert regions. We didn't find any free land to settle. Once we found an island where there were NO structures at all. We thought we lucky... but then, when we went ashore there were like 50 wild animals at once attacked us, and crocks even followed and attacked us on a raft! Bad luck... we were running from there full sails : )

And then landed at peaceful tundra's shore.

It was our great adventure. It start with two trembling guys and ended with a bright and peaceful village shining through the night (we even built guest piers with unlocked houses, tannery and unlocked trap for a bears here : ) And we provide a ppl a honey if they don't have one and trying to tame high lvl bear).

IpKhL9f.jpg 

We always called the place "for those strong in spirit" but... well... DEVs did huge job to turn this place for wimps. It's like betray hard rock and turn yourself to pop : ) 

We love our Tundra so much so we will settle there again after a wipe : ) But I guess there wont be that adventure between life and death anymore.

We only hope after a wipe all players will head to southern regions so we could look for a good place in renewed eastern Tundra : )

To be honest. Pve is the place for wimps. Not trying to say anything bad personally, but if you have noticed the pve guys are very emotional. You have a very good description of a story that was very well said. I just had no clue guys actually acted like that.

thanks for sharing though

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Bowtie said:

Others may disagree, but I don't. All of the things he mentioned are the things that make game interesting and which make people keep playing. If people have access to all materials tames and content right off the bat, then they'll try it all, get bored after a couple eeks and drop the game. That is not the case for PVP I guess, but for PVE there is not much else to keep people playing but grindwall, especially if that 'grindwall' is interesting and makes you explore rather than repeat same actions over and over like some other games do.

And while it is important to not crowd freeports, it does NOT mean you should be able to spawn wherever you want. I think the way with freeport and lawless was good enough.
For me this is a game about sailing and exploration. Wheres that exploration if you can just spawn anywhere in 1 click and don't even have to explore as you have all materials available to you off the bat?

And I'll say it again: a lot of these points aren't as important for PVP as struggling with other players can keep peopel interested even if they don't have anything else to be interested in/ But on PVE it IS important to keep people engaged by having them put in effort to reach some content.

4 hours ago, Realist said:

dont come here trying to act like you want something hard lol. You just want something that is very slightly more difficult so you can tell everyone you are hardcore.

never use that word again

To be honest you wouldn’t be good enough for hardcore anyways 

To be honest. Pve is the place for wimps. Not trying to say anything bad personally, but if you have noticed the pve guys are very emotional. You have a very good description of a story that was very well said. I just had no clue guys actually acted like that.

Beware, everyone, we got a (very honest) badass here! I bet he even played on an ARK "hardcore" server for a couple days so he can tell others how badass he is. Compared to him everyone's a whimp here. Or anywhere else really, as long as it's on the internet.

Edited by Icedlance
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Klaus Störtebeker said:

Please do NOT let everybody spawn on any server or even island. Rather make it more difficult to reach certain region of the world.

I would like to see a compromise/hybrid of this and the proposed change.  Select zones should be excluded from the spawn list (other than golden age zones).  We have plenty of zones to choose from, some should require actually traveling to them.  They don't have to be based on anything specific, hell it could be randomly chosen which zones won't be spawn-listed (at server creation, not character creation/respawn).

Part of the game is exploration.  We need more than resources and power stones as a reason to do that.

8 hours ago, George Catcher said:

IpKhL9f.jpg

I thought this was a screenshot of Dawnstar from Skyrim at first.  lol

4 hours ago, Realist said:

To be honest. Pve is the place for wimps. Not trying to say anything bad personally,

You can't call people who prefer PvE over PvP wimps and it not be personal.  You are a perfect example of why people don't like the PvP crowd.

• Like 4

it's not about pve people don't like pvp players at all.. it's just like in every other games that some people are afraid of losing a fight and they prefer sit around in boredom. If you are too weak to pvp you play pve.. and then COMPLAIN about missing fights etc.

Edited by Arykos

8 minutes ago, Arykos said:

it's not about pve people don't like pvp players at all.. it's just like in every other games that some people are afraid of losing a fight and they prefer sit around in boredom. If you are too weak to pvp you play pve.. and then COMPLAIN about missing fights etc.

I play in PVP servers myself. Let us be fair, 1v1 PvP mechanics are not advanced enough to make this a skill based PvP game, also the tames mess with pure PvP.  The ship battle PvP is enjoyable if both sides have at least a small team on board,

Anyway, some PVP vs PVE ideas here

22 minutes ago, Arykos said:

it's just like in every other games that some people are afraid of losing a fight and they prefer sit around in boredom.

This is why PvP players are considered to be cancer to the gaming community.  You can't see past your own play style so everyone that doesn't play like you do must be "weak" and "bored".  It never occurs to you that some people just don't enjoy fighting other players.

I wonder if you think anyone who doesn't enjoy your favorite TV show or food is "weak" too?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CazzT said:

This is why PvP players are considered to be cancer to the gaming community.  You can't see past your own play style so everyone that doesn't play like you do must be "weak" and "bored".  It never occurs to you that some people just don't enjoy fighting other players.

I wonder if you think anyone who doesn't enjoy your favorite TV show or food is "weak" too?

I disagree since some of the most unbalanced changes made to this game, come from pve players. I don’t mind it since we all just gotta adjust. But if I must point to a group for screwing up this game, it’s the pve’ers. 

5 minutes ago, CazzT said:

and you bring in bad arguments... ofc there are some people which just wanna build etc. but we both know, if u ever played other mmo's before.. 90% of people on pve just playing pve servers right because of the things said above..

at all this is a PIRATE game, if you don't wanna fight, why do you play a PIRATE game. don't ruin the game for PVE which is definitly a sidepart of this game. people can go and play ECO or some other game if they want to have a real pve game

3 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I disagree since some of the most unbalanced changes made to this game, come from pve players. I don’t mind it since we all just gotta adjust. But if I must point to a group for screwing up this game, it’s the pve’ers. 

I'm not talking about the game, though.  I'm referring to the atrocious dickheaded mentality of people like Arykos and Realist.  They think if someone doesn't like PvP they're "weak" or "wimps".  That mentality leads to unnecessary strife in the community.

1 minute ago, CazzT said:

I'm not talking about the game, though.  I'm referring to the atrocious dickheaded mentality of people like Arykos and Realist.  They think if someone doesn't like PvP they're "weak" or "wimps".  That mentality leads to unnecessary strife in the community.

well did you play wow for example? it's simply what it is.. if you want to have this to be true or not.

1 minute ago, Arykos said:

90% of people on pve just playing pve servers right because of the things said above..

That's a bold claim.  Got something to back that up?  After your assertion that people are scared to lose a fight, I'd point you to raiding.  But you probably think that's "weak".  The same argument made by anyone who doesn't have what it takes to do anything but smash buttons on their keyboard/controller.

3 minutes ago, Arykos said:

this is a PIRATE game, if you don't wanna fight, why do you play a PIRATE game

One of the most iconic pirate games in gaming history doesn't have PvP.  And last I checked, a pirate theme doesn't require PvP.

5 minutes ago, Arykos said:

don't ruin the game for PVE which is definitly a sidepart of this game.

lolwut?  Why are you saying this to me?  All I'm doing is pointing out how people like you are the reason that people leave games.  No one wants to be part of a game's community when they get belittled by children (i don't care how old you are if you're behaving like a child) for not liking what you like.

6 minutes ago, Arykos said:

people can go and play ECO or some other game if they want to have a real pve game

Ah, so here we have the real truth.  If people don't play like you, they should leave.

3 minutes ago, Arykos said:

well did you play wow for example? it's simply what it is.. if you want to have this to be true or not.

You're just proving my point.  No one is "weak" or a "wimp" if they don't want to, or don't like, PvP.  What a childish, narrow-minded mentality.

17 minutes ago, Arykos said:

at all this is a PIRATE game, if you don't wanna fight, why do you play a PIRATE game. don't ruin the game for PVE which is definitly a sidepart of this game. people can go and play ECO or some other game if they want to have a real pve game

ATLAS: The ultimate survival MMO of unprecedented scale with 40,000+ simultaneous players in the same world. Join an endless adventure of piracy & sailing, exploration & combat, roleplaying & progression, settlement & civilization-building, in one of the largest game worlds ever! Explore, Build, Conquer

this is how it listed on steam as you can see it doesn't just say piracy it is for many types of player pvp and pve , now if devs would make some of the pvp thing only for pvp and some of the other thing just pve then fine most of what they been adding (in my humble thought process) has to do with them balancing the off line raiding players out complaining about. the adding to the island types was the stone being to hard to det up in pvp cuss no one had ship to go get them and such. Ive play both pvp and pve and while I was terrible at the pvp side and left, I enjoyee every moment on pve from ghost ships to treasure map. each has its place and to belittle them for there choice is wrong. 

• Like 1