Sign in to follow this  
corpse

Group considering PvP

My small company of 11 (about 7 very regular players) is considering changing from PvE to PvP when the wipe happens.  What are the pro's and con's?  I guess a better question would be what are the perceived pro's and con's?  We really are more about exploration and building, not so much battle.  We like the idea of possibly meeting another ship at sea and having to worry about a possible battle. It would add another level of excitement to the game.  We are not looking to head out raid and pillage - not our style.  We are not looking to grief people by destroying their bases, killing their tames etc.  Basically looking to have a little more excitement than PvE.  Is this a bad idea?  Will we just get completely destroyed?  We do understand that we will need to build defenses, and look forward to that, but we do not plan on doing any attacking.

What are your thoughts?

It is absolutely possible to do some sort of PVE+ on PVP. Our company has small groups that live on our islands and are not hardcore PVPers. Some have their own claim others have build rights. Our company gets a tax from their farming and they have a safe place for ships and buildings. Other companies have the same kind of arangements and Devs are encourageing this even more with the new system.

I highly encourage you to make the switch. I’m an old PVE player and am stil doing everything i did on PVE and i participate in PVP. If you help defend (for example with defence structures like mortar towers) the island in PVP atacks and pay some sort of tax (in the new system islands have an upkeep) you will probably be able to find a friendly host. Just make sure you know what you want to get and wat you can give in return. A good hosts facilitates you and you can trade with them. Like taming? Sell tames to you host. Hate tameing? Buy them.

Companies need to pay upkeep for claims and friendly companies on the islands can help pay for it (farming tax). Later you add value by building defences and assisting the host when the island gets atacked. Wen you did all your PVE you can experiment with some PVP missions yourself or even get your own island or merge. If the host loses controll you load everything on your ships and move. Or else you probably can negotiate a deal with the new owner 😉

You can try without a host but you will get raided and loose ships a lot. This is not for everyone.

PRO TIP negotiate with a bigger company before the wipe, everyone is already prepping and if you make an arangement you can focus on getting land in PVE and later sail to the new island of your host in PVP. If PVP is not for you, you can move back to PVE!

We are Top 10 in EU PVP (na and eu wil get merged) and have a lot of eglish language players. I can connect you to our leadership of you want to make a deal. It is nothing like slaving for a big company like some people are claiming. We need small groups (especially in the new system) and are nice to them!

Edited by Jannes Wal
Offering the same as the reply below

You can do it, you should do it. PVP is not so harsh like everyone makes it out to be. All you need to do is survive, not have L337 pvp skills. Outsmart enemies, build good defenses.

What the point of pve if there is no danger involved from the highest form, man himself.

Holler if you are on EU, give you cushion come launch under our umbrella - Bandit#3138

A lot of people would be very happy to have PvE players on their lands(and with the new changes more). You are able to do PvE in PvP servers, really, you need it in order to progress. As @Jannes Wal said, the easy way is talk to other companiy that have claimed an island, they protect you and you contribute with taxes or another kind of arrangment.

P.S.: If you finally change in EU PvP server, you can talk with me and we could find a win2win relationship 😛

Once you switch you will never go back. 

All the giant megas recruit everyone and will gobble anyone with a pulse.if you want to go that route.

I suggest you log in after wipe and just talk to people in game and hook up with people you like  if you wish to keep your identity.

Active groups are always looking to ally and help other active groups.

Thank you all for the great recommendations!  I will share this with my crew.  Of course, we are all NA, but it would be tempting to join a great crew on EU!