Salty Del

What would you do?

Some people are complaining about the upcoming wipe and all the time they’ve put into developing their character, territory, and ships.

I’m curious;  what if instead of wiping the existing servers, they introduced fresh servers with the changes that you could start over in. If you had the choice between staying in the current world with its issues or starting in a new world, what would you do?

I know that as much as it sucks losing everything we’ve worked for, I think it would be a better place ultimately. So we would choose to start over.

I don't mind the server wipe, I think it was needed.  What i am curious about though is the necessity to wipe out player characters.  It took a long time to level to where some folks are, and skilling up from 'punching trees' for wood is not a revitalizing prospect.

• Like 1

The question isn't entirely valid, because few of the changes require a wipe, at least in terms of under-the-hood.  They could switch claims to the new system (which is what will happen on unofficial servers).  Rather than moving any islands, they could just drop in new ones.  There's massive amounts of free space to add new islands without needing to erase the old ones.  We're currently right now considering moving to an unofficial server because it will allow us to take future changes without a wipe.

If they need to cycle the eastern tundra, then nuke JUST those grids, and warn everybody, so they can move their stuff in the 3 weeks until the patch, rather than just erasing the entire map.  The engine would support a phased change just fine.

The only compelling reason for a wipe is the Balance shift for PVP, and that's more because they didn't respond to exploiters and cheaters than a technical item.  Many of those exploits are still there.  they've promised to combat them more this time, but... they promised that before when battleeye got added in too.

So at least on PVE, if they just added new islands rather than moving the existing ones, there's just no reason for a wipe.

We would probably move to a new server.  We have been considering moving from PvE to PvE as my post mentions.  Even tough we are on PvE, we would still welcome a wipe, and look forward to starting new with the knowledge we have gained so far.  Personally, I think even though there are people pretty unhappy with the wipe, better to get it out of the way now, with a system that might work better than wait 6 more months.  Try new things early on, before the game is that much more established.  It really has only been out for just over 2 months!  They realized there were some big issues that needed to be dealt with, and they are doing that.  So... we would probably move to the new servers if there was the choice.

ARK and Atlas are two totally different games in the way of servers, the playerbase is already fragmented between four officials and a metric ton of unofficials. They don't need to make anymore servers. People need to accept that it's EA, expect a wipe, and probably a couple more down the line. Wipe Hype

• Like 1

I’m not suggesting that they add new servers. It’s about looking at the upcoming wipe from a different perspective.

Would you rather stay on what is, or would you rather start anew on fresh servers with updates intended to make the game a better experience?

It depends on my guild; if they would move, me too. Anyway, I think the wipe is needed because of many players abused exploits.

9 minutes ago, Salty Del said:

Would you rather stay on what is, or would you rather start anew on fresh servers with updates intended to make the game a better experience?

Same servers... with updates.  The updates don't require a wipe

2 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Same servers... with updates.  The updates don't require a wipe

Not sure if you have read all that they are doing in the update.

They are adding 1 to 2 new islands for every grid. That is 225 grids that will be changed. Try getting their map tool and updating 225 grids and figure out how you are going to do that and not destroy almost every base on the map.

Maybe you don't think they need to add more islands?

They are adding the islands so that there will be enough for when a claim is an entire island. They are also adding a whole new biome. Can't add that without changing the maps.

I think, but am not sure that the PvE map is the same as the PvP map. Anyone know this for sure? So to keep this consistency, if you update the PvP, you also update the PvE servers.

Even some of the private servers I play on are talking about possibly doing a wipe so they can add the new content. Things like the underwater biome and the new Eastern Tundra biome.

1 minute ago, wildbill said:

Not sure if you have read all that they are doing in the update.

They are adding 1 to 2 new islands for every grid. That is 225 grids that will be changed. Try getting their map tool and updating 225 grids and figure out how you are going to do that and not destroy almost every base on the map.

Maybe you don't think they need to add more islands?

They are adding the islands so that there will be enough for when a claim is an entire island. They are also adding a whole new biome. Can't add that without changing the maps.

I think, but am not sure that the PvE map is the same as the PvP map. Anyone know this for sure? So to keep this consistency, if you update the PvP, you also update the PvE servers.

Even some of the private servers I play on are talking about possibly doing a wipe so they can add the new content. Things like the underwater biome and the new Eastern Tundra biome.

You can add islands on the map tool.  There's a LOT of spare space on the current map, without needing to move a thing.  Some private servers have 9 islands in a grid and they don't feel as crowded as one might think.  You'd only need to move something if there isn't space in that grid, but given the size variety among islands, and their tendency to already put them in patterns that leaves big empty spacese, adding islands to each map would not be difficult.

2 hours ago, Salty Del said:

I’m not suggesting that they add new servers. It’s about looking at the upcoming wipe from a different perspective.

That depends on whether the updates actually WILL make the game a better experience.  If I thought there were great improvements, I'd rather start fresh and get the improvements.

As currently announced, my opinion on the pve changes is that they're terrible and will be even worse that what we've got now.

So, if your question is theoretical, sure, I'd move and start over.

Have you been on an unofficial where they have tried this? Ghost islands exist. 

4 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

You can add islands on the map tool.  There's a LOT of spare space on the current map, without needing to move a thing.  Some private servers have 9 islands in a grid and they don't feel as crowded as one might think.  You'd only need to move something if there isn't space in that grid, but given the size variety among islands, and their tendency to already put them in patterns that leaves big empty spacese, adding islands to each map would not be difficult.

I personally wouldn't want to play a game where it looks like they added 1 or 2 islands to each grid as an afterthought. At some point it would need to be fixed. Might as well do it now along with all the other reasons a wipe is a good idea. You can read plenty of threads in these forums about why the wipe is a good idea, not going to list all those things here.

The private servers do have some grids with a lot of islands, most don't though. To do that you need small islands and also there are restrictions to what will and will not work. It is a bit tricky from what I've heard and not a simple thing to do. Some server owners will not do it (edit a grid map), they will just wipe. Some will.

You can't move islands. If you move an island then everything that was built on that island stays where it was placed. Wipe is the only way to deal with making changes to the map. Unofficials have tried it. Leads to all sorts of issues. We've had crew mates screaming at the captain because they have driven straight through islands. Some people see them. Others do not. They are not really there but once upon a time they were. 

My character is level 66 on official.  We've had some epic adventures and fought large battles together.  Yet, it is time to say goodbye.  I'll willingly leave him behind to move forward to a new world, a more populated world where no one speaks the curse of offline raiding as they once did.  No longer will an ally or enemy benefit from the extreme experience gains fire arrows and alpha creatures once gave.  Although, these times of adventure will never be forgotten, ultimately, we would give up our characters in order to live in a better world.  Good bye old Atlas 🙂

3 minutes ago, Sklex said:

You can't move islands. If you move an island then everything that was built on that island stays where it was placed. Wipe is the only way to deal with making changes to the map. Unofficials have tried it. Leads to all sorts of issues. We've had crew mates screaming at the captain because they have driven straight through islands. Some people see them. Others do not. They are not really there but once upon a time they were. 

Phantom islands happen on officials all the time, it has nothing to do with the map data.  That has to do with a memory error where the game won't unload the entire map when you change grids.  So unrelated to any of this.

As for stuff built on them, yeah, that sticks around if you move the island.  Hence why they shouldn't move anything, there's tons of empty water to put new islands into.  And if all they're doing is shifting them around just for the sake of shuffling them, it's not really changing much.

There's no way to know that there won't be something in those empty places though. Boats for example. 

For official, move to the new.  If they left an old one, it'd be an old development branch and no longer really supported.  Would rather experience the rest of the game as they release it.

For unofficial, honestly I can't imagine unofficial isn't going to wipe for the new dev branch as well.  Trying to build the new over the old foundation is just begging for a giant mess of spaghetti code and random bugs.

Them's the breaks.  I'll rebuild better than before.

Pritty selfish if you say only wipe the grids that have new biodomes. Wipe is needed because dupe shit and new map layout. But I rather had it that it was known a few days before it happens. Now I do not play, maybe I try the test server when it goes live.

I can see 2 different options on this, and both would be ok with me.

1 wipe the whole map as they are now

2 Do a partial wipe. If all servers will be home servers, do we need free ports? Other than to get a starting ship. Or NPC's they could be anywhere. Maybe recycle the Freeport servers as new ones, and give everyone 2 or 3 weeks to move to those and then wipe the no lawless. 3 weeks later wipe the lawless. Stage it and when wiped, add the new islands.

Either way, I think a 2 week 10x after would be good to let us get back to higher levels again. 

But going forward I'd plan for 2 month staged wipes if I was running it, until release.

5 minutes ago, merlin66676 said:

Either way, I think a 2 week 10x after would be good to let us get back to higher levels again. 

They may do a rate boost above the usual 2x on weekends, but I wouldn’t want to go much beyond 4x.

I created a new character on another server, just to see how levelling is with 6x. I think in 10-15 minutes I was 21, and from there you can start doing treasure maps and head straight to level Cap.

10 hours ago, Salty Del said:

I am totally game for a wipe, and to those saying it's not needed, yes. it is. the claim system being revamped, the new war system, it'll all screw with the game if it's not wiped before this all is implemented