Sign in to follow this  
microphobe

Yet another flag Idea (PVE)

So basically when you are dealing with PVE so long as you are playing the 20 day timer makes flags incontestable and people if given the choice would in general not permit building on "their" land despite the benefits of doing so.

Hopefully with the news that the devs have heard our cries howling in the night and @Dollie has said "I feel I've a pretty good idea of how you guys feel" it's possible that we may get to keep our flags after all in a hopefully greatly limited number.

As a possible scenario for this perhaps having two types of flags could be an idea, a limited number of incontestable flags for your base and surrounding area that you do not wish to be able to lose and then a second type, unlimited that operates off of a mix of the old and new.

• Type one flags - These flags are your "home" flags and are designed for base building and securing your home area meaning keeping the riff raff out of your garden.
    • Limited to 2 in number
    • Unable to be contested in anyway
    • Have a 24 hour cooldown on placing them/picking them up to prevent people dropping them to flag override resources and picking them up again. (select pickup flag and it starts a 24 hour countdown after which it appears back in your available flags)
    • Have a 21 day timer as per current system
    • Are set to company build only and cannot be changed

• Type two flags - These flags are your territory & tax grab flags
    • Unlimited in number
    • Provide tax from resources harvested in the area
    • Are contested based upon a timed upkeep, when they (company member or owner) visit the area and do things in the flag zone the timer goes up, if they don't the timer goes down (credit to @Lotus for this part if you want to post a link to yours go for it but I couldn't remember where it was and yes I read that wall of text) meaning that if they never step foot in the land or if they only spend 5 minutes a day in the land they will lose it quickly
    • Are set to free build and cannot be changed
    • Structures built within (including owners) are on a decay as per the new system from the "march madness" patch meaning they will require upkeep

• Flag override - The effect of dropping a type one flag in an existing type two zone
    • The type one flag overrides the claim priority but does not remove the existing type two claim flag instead placing it in stasis, this means that the owner of the type one flag can build without decay timers, gather without tax, tax and generally live as though they owned the land
    • Removing the type one flag reverts the original claim owners flag with associated benefits/drawbacks

Welcome for ideas to bring in

I like the idea of having 1 home flag. However, i'm wondering if the no build radius that we are going to have is the same radius as a land claim, because if it is then whether we have a flag or not wouldn't make a difference in regards to people building in the area.

As for having flags in general, even if it is 1 flag per person/company, then they would still need to resolve the overlap issue. If you look at the new PvP there will be no overlap issue as it is one flag per island. If you look at the new PvE there is no overlap issue due to no flags.

One of the biggest problems with flags was the overlap issue and if they can't get around that then i'm not sure how flags would work.

6 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

I like the idea of having 1 home flag. However, i'm wondering if the no build radius that we are going to have is the same radius as a land claim, because if it is then whether we have a flag or not wouldn't make a difference in regards to people building in the area.

As for having flags in general, even if it is 1 flag per person/company, then they would still need to resolve the overlap issue. If you look at the new PvP there will be no overlap issue as it is one flag per island. If you look at the new PvE there is no overlap issue due to no flags.

One of the biggest problems with flags was the overlap issue and if they can't get around that then i'm not sure how flags would work.

The no build radius would need to be significantly bigger for the "home" flags, something like the water claim size to give people enough room to expand into.
Because the home flags will always override the type 2 flags, overlap wouldn't make a significant issue as they would never be able to steal your homeland anyway, they can only steal your type 2 land by placing one of their 2 "home" flags over the top of it and if they are willing to waste one of their two doing that then they can go for it.

I think people will still kick back against the PvP flags once they are implemented just because their existence is so uncertain living under the rule of someone who can at anytime walk into their base and popcorn their resource box without them being able to retaliate.

I kinda want to see what they are going to do. You may find it works just fine. Over thinking mean over scripting bad graphics and easy exploiters.  The PvE sys, as it is pits people at one another and I am here to pass my time and play a game not compete for land.

I do not like the idea of a rigid limit on the number of flags, so we have less flexibility in the construction (either you fit all your ambitions in a certain radius, or suffer).
The idea of two kinds of flags is interesting. But do not limit the main flags to the number 2 (it is better to increase the cost by increasing the number). But then the second kind of flags on PvE is unnecessary.

On PvE flags are needed mainly for:
- protect your base;
- protection of resources and approaches to them from blocking.

It can be identified as additional opportunities : - obtaining benefits in the form of interest from their land., but in this case, we again return to the old system, when the island 1 - 2 small house and there is no possibility to build.

In the end, I see the output in the form of a flag on the island expensive or flags on the ground around the base and valuable resources. (one can speculate on the possibility of combining the mechanics of a repair building and the flags of claims)

Edited by Meercat

Hi @microphobe, I'd be curious to know your take on the latest PVE changes from Captains Log 23? 

I've posted my thoughts on the PVE claims here if you're interested (

).