Sign in to follow this  
SpeedInc

The elephant in the room! Post update chaos!

So we all know that its coming. The real questions is to when it comes and I'm sure it will be delayed as always, what BS are we going to have to deal with... So as we see it; we will loose all building, we will loose all ships, we will loose all tames. Day 1.2 we will wake up scratch our wrist and start punching trees and picking up rocks. Well some of us will. Most I see it will wake up in a home port like any new player would. I really doubt that we will be able to start off in a Lawless region or anywhere else for that matter. That being said. what are the die hard players going to do? We know the streamers have all called a huddle of the minds. I know GG said it out in the open that they need to start now. Obviously this will effect official and unofficial servers just the same.

My guess is people will build a crap load of pillars get back to a home port and log off and stay there till the word go is given. No word was given that we would loose our bodies and inventory on them. Once the game goes live it will be a race to buy a crappy ship, haul ass to the first island and place pillars like a mofo. Which is what we will always fight with Wildcard no matter what game it is. As this is happening they are taking over an area and owning the island, by that time a bed has gone down a few times and the rest of the Co. can leapfrog to the new spot and build a second boat to hit more islands and own them till they find the right sized one. Then they will disown the ones they don't want so they don't have to pay the tax as this will still be within the fist day or so. If they can keep the first ones then they will be on good grounds.

The top 10 Co.s will have a struggle to make right now....... Own a big ass island and pay an even bigger tax rate; keep it for them selves IF they have a player base to support it, or allow smaller Co.s in to slave them out and to have an active owner demolish anything that could be a threat. The problem is you have to set a war time and the entire island will need to act as one as they are all on the same team at that point.
OR, do the big Co.s take over small islands and pay the tax outright and make a small enough tax that they can cover based on the players they have. This gives them the chance to be in control and be sole owners but its also taxing the crap out of your self. No mention as to how the allies system plays into this. small island or big island!

Its a shotgun start! I just want to know if we all will start on the same grounds or not. Will this be a true wipe or the players that were being oppressed before have the same feeling right off the bat?

I was a player that lived in the lawless region because at first it took me weeks to get off the stupid ass rubber-banding home ports. I was saved by a Co. and we had a small chunk of cliff-side property on the nearby lawless region. As being a vet Arc player this was home.... No changes and I sure as hell didn't want to try to go further from seeing the  abomination of a flag system in effect out there. I already had my ship sunk about 10 times from A-holes jumping on just cause they can to watch your dreams go down the tank. There was no way I wanted to loose any buildings as well to that kind of people. Im a builder, I love building PVE and PVEp, i deplore PVP builds. I also don't like loosing my hard earned buildings to a griefer or to the PVP system. I also despise pillar wars!

So what will be your starting strategy?

• Like 2

I guess the question would be are they going to transition the PTR to live or do the wipe, make whatever changes needed from the PTR and restart the game anew. I hope they just do away with the Public Test Realm.

41 minutes ago, SpeedInc said:

No word was given that we would loose our bodies and inventory on them

It actually was. They announced a full wipe of the official network. Including the map and all characters. It will be a fresh start like on day 1.
So no pillar packed characters. I hope I have understood you correctly... its pretty late for me though 😛

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kappinski said:

It actually was. They announced a full wipe of the official network. Including the map and all characters. It will be a fresh start like on day 1.
So no pillar packed characters. I hope I have understood you correctly... its pretty late for me though 😛

You did, and just didn't get the warm fuzzy that not only were we wiped but back to no kidding day one, not just a respec wipe like they normally do. Guess we will see. Thanks for your answer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpeedInc said:

You did, and just didn't get the warm fuzzy that not only were we wiped but back to no kidding day one, not just a respec wipe like they normally do. Guess we will see. Thanks for your answer.

They are completely wiping everything bro, they said that the day they announced it on stream. PTR isn't going to carry over into the launch of the new patch for official, common sense tells me that and they also inferred that would be the case on the day they announced this..

Did they also say it was going to be open homeport anywhere to remove the freeport bottleneck for the first few days? or was that going to be a forever homeport on any server? I was sure I read or heard that somewhere

4 hours ago, SpeedInc said:

Obviously this will effect official and unofficial servers just the same.

Wait.... how will the official server wipe have any impact on the unofficial servers?  I know the changes coming will affect unofficial, but I'd love to hear how the wipe will affect them.

4 hours ago, SpeedInc said:

My guess is people will build a crap load of pillars

They will.  And then those pillars will rapidly decay.  This will only be an issue for a few days on any island.  No one is going to spend the time and resources to constantly keep repairing an entire island's worth of pillars/foundations.

Very nice analysis speedinc. Certainly solo players can not hold an entire island. So the choice is either to live in lawless and upkeep your decaying base or to become a slave.

Not nice, but if you honeycomb with doors it should be possible.

At least you can build weapons and dont have to live as unarmed working slave of a 14 year old 24/7 nolife school boy.

Edited by Talono
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Talono said:

So the choice is either to live in lawless and upkeep your decaying base or to become a slave.

Or... and I know this is a crazy idea, but hear me out.... you could.... no, really, it's insane, this idea of mine.... join the company that claimed the island.

image.png.aeed56961552b7f130d05e91fc2adac5.png

6 hours ago, gumbyc said:

I guess the question would be are they going to transition the PTR to live or do the wipe, make whatever changes needed from the PTR and restart the game anew. I hope they just do away with the Public Test Realm.

Why would you want to get rid of a PTR? Public Test Realms are generally servers which nothing carries over into the live servers. They're used to test things to make sure code doesn't bork, and to make sure that changes they're thinking of making on the live servers perform, and the players perform with them, as they expect people to. If everything works like they expect it to, that game code gets moved to live servers, not the maps, not the characters, etc. Its a good way to catch any glaring issues that may have gotten overlooked in the design, as well as over (or under) estimating your players, before it affects a live server, and requires rollbacks or wipes.

Plus usually, if they're testing something related to end game content, when you create a character it will auto-create at max level, possibly with a selection of tools available so you can get straight to testing what they're trying to test, instead of spending the time levelling.  PTRs usually get wiped after each specific test period, no carryover, nothing permanent.

Yep like others stated it will be a full wipe and you can spawn on any grid you like (except for golden age islands), so no need to spawn on lawless and freeports. 

As for the pillar spam, the settlement owners will probably do that yes. So you just gotta wait until raid time to get rid of them. If they didn’t get rid of you, but then again: Only large companies will spam pillars. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WilliamGrayton said:

Did they also say it was going to be open homeport anywhere to remove the freeport bottleneck for the first few days? or was that going to be a forever homeport on any server? I was sure I read or heard that somewhere

No they said every server will be a home >server< not a home >port<.    It will be exactly like when lawless was turned into home servers at the start to handle the overflow.   You will get dumped in the ocean on top of a pile of bodies eaten by sharks and crocs.  While they could change the island templates to copypaste the same ports used by freeports - that would cause unofficials to have to wipe (else someone gets buried by a port), and they said this is an official network wipe only.

I think this is only a temporary measure to get everyone back in the game, as everyone has been complaining about bed teleports to the front lines.  I doubt they would leave the homeservers up for free death teleports to sloop to any front line anywhere on the map for an entire company without even any bed limits.

Edited by krazmuze

3 hours ago, CazzT said:

They will.  And then those pillars will rapidly decay.  This will only be an issue for a few days on any island.  No one is going to spend the time and resources to constantly keep repairing an entire island's worth of pillars/foundations.

Depending on the decay timer, they won't even have to upkeep them, it will be easier to just put new ones up next to the old one before it decays completely. 100 pillars or 50 thatch foundations (depending on if they're trying to prevent building, or also block spawns) don't take very long to farm the mats for and place, and would make half of an average island pretty miserable.

Even 4 pillars, placed around your new neighbors started build, as close as possible to whatever he's already put down will stop any further building outward. How long does it take to farm materials for 4 pillars?

Ark taught me that if there is a chance for some people to be assholes, there is small, but VERY active percentage of people who will take it, even to the detriment of themselves. You now have a group of players who are extremely upset, and literally have nothing to lose. They've already paid for the game. They no longer like the game, but will instead take that time that they played it to make sure the people still trying to play can't like it either. They may only keep it up for a couple weeks, but, how long is someone going to put up with someone else griefing them before they quit?

23 minutes ago, Percieval said:

Yep like others stated it will be a full wipe and you can spawn on any grid you like (except for golden age islands), so no need to spawn on lawless and freeports.

Yup, I suspect this was to prevent the mess of the launch, too many people spawning at freeports. Although unlikely to be as many people this time round.

Question is, do you choose to spawn at freeport where it is safe and you can easily build a ramshakle sloop or do you spawn at another island where you might want to settle and risk being killed constantly by wild life before you manage to get a foundation and bed down.

How could the devs possibly think the griefers will not do it because of the decay and repair machine requirements when it is actually easier than it was in ark?  Put a bed next to your tax bank, grab all the mats your island slaves have been harvesting for you, move it to the repair machine.   Teleport to the next island.   Profit in the tears of those grieved.     The repairs do not have to be done manually at each spam, and even if that was the case did not stop it in ark. 

Or maybe the tax bank goes away because no flags on PVE?     Repair mats for foundations on an island are probably less than that needed to repair your base, who do you think will win that repair fight?

Edited by krazmuze

4 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

It is much easier than ark.   Put a bed next to your tax bank, grab all the mats your island slaves have been harvesting for you, move it to the repair machine.   Teleport to the next island.   Profit in the tears of those grieved.     The repairs do not have to be done manually at each spam, and even if that was the case did not stop it in ark.

Or maybe the tax bank goes away because no flags on PVE?     Mats for foundations on an island are probably less than that needed to repair your base, who do you think will win that repair fight?

Sure but you will still need to place defenses down. 1 person can’t own several islands, he’d be wiped before he knows it. If it isn’t because of people from his own island, it will be from others. The job of my crew (we’re in top10 but only play with our own 6) will be to kick ‘dictators’ from their throne. I’m gonna enjoy that very much 😄 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was talking about PVE, there are no base defenses.    spam is not an issue on PVP.    You cannot wipe people in PVE (assuming there is no new exploit with damned or ship sinking).  All you can do on PVE is watch them grief.   That is why as broken as flags was, their intent was to keep people off your land.

Edited by krazmuze

14 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

I was talking about PVE, there are no base defenses.    spam is not an issue on PVP.    You cannot wipe people in PVE (assuming there is no new exploit with damned or ship sinking).  All you can do on PVE is watch them grief.   That is why as broken as flags was, their intent was to keep people off your land.

What do you mean with slaves then? I thought there were no flags on Pve, so no tax bank. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Thanks 1

How I would do it if I were in charge of one of the top 10....

1. Figure out how many of my company are going to be taking the first 2-3 days off from work or dont have those commitments. Who will be the scouts, how many are they, what are their abilities like at a) sailing, b) fighting, c) grinding.
  2. Assign grind groups (who just stay in the freeport grinding out ramshackle sloops/tools and farm resources until we establish a foothold somewhere).
  3. When the PTR releases, Identify 1 SMALL island with appropriate resources per person not in the grind group for colonisation/capture. 
  4. Identify the closest Freeport to our islands.
  5. Identify a spot to collect Gems from on the way to each island. 
  6. Rinse and repeat 3 and 5 for a secondary island choice.
  7. Assign one person to sail to each island and scout it out. 
  8. On release day our groups will start at the appropriate freeport, grinders will remain there, scouts will sail off to grab the gems then continue on to our identified islands.
  9. When the scouts arrive and identify the island as appropriate the grinders fast travel to the bed on the ship and start working their tails off.
  10. Scout circles the island continually grabbing the messages in bottles and consolidating treasure locations (has the added benefit of being able to identify potential interlopers).
  11. Beds Beds Beds (so that our other members can travel in when the time comes) 
  12. Guns n Ammo.
  13. Bank down, claim down. Keep the ammo coming. 
  14. Grinders remain on the islands, fighters travel between as required and work on obtaining gold/crew between. 
  15. Profit.

8 hours ago, Percieval said:

What do you mean with slaves then? I thought there were no flags on Pve, so no tax bank. 

Maybe the tax bank would be repurposed for PVE - they said nothing about it?

Our unofficial left it out of our server, it only functions in PVP if the slaves can revolt against their master.  In PVE it is more about people would leave if overtaxed if there was actually somewhere to go.  It is rather unfair the first come first serve gets gold from treasure maps that they do not do - that was a PVP mechanic to create valuable locations to be fought over.

23 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

Maybe the tax bank would be repurposed for PVE - they said nothing about it?

Our unofficial left it out of our server, it only functions in PVP if the slaves can revolt against their master.  In PVE it is more about people would leave if overtaxed if there was actually somewhere to go.  It is rather unfair the first come first serve gets gold from treasure maps that they do not do - that was a PVP mechanic to create valuable locations to be fought over.

There is no tax bank no. Since there are no claimed flags so it’s just lawless on the entire map. With less decay ofcourse. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MeatSammich said:

100 pillars or 50 thatch foundations (depending on if they're trying to prevent building, or also block spawns) don't take very long to farm the mats for and place, and would make half of an average island pretty miserable.

True.  But there's still the time investment of running around to place them all.  Only the most dedicated dbag would keep that up for more than a week.  And yes, I know there are some very dedicated assholes out there, but thankfully they're the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1