Sign in to follow this  
Masi

You cant wipe characters

tou cant wipe characters people has already spend 1000+hours ingame even tho you server wipe thats fine! but characters! thats too much what was the point of playing till now then! you need to let people keep their lvl/discorvery points if you want them to keep playing otherwise you will lose over half your numbers playing your game!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Masi said:

tou cant wipe characters people has already spend 1000+hours ingame even tho you server wipe thats fine! but characters! thats too much what was the point of playing till now then! you need to let people keep their lvl/discorvery points if you want them to keep playing otherwise you will lose over half your numbers playing your game!

Please refrain from taking part in early access games. It is only for adults.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

16 minutes ago, Ben de Witt said:

Please refrain from taking part in early access games. It is only for adults.

very mature 🙂 a lot of ppl had the impression there won't be wipes looking at how they did it before atlas and after this wiping characters too is still kinda harsh, adult or not, EA or not.

just gonna add that if there was at least no wipe of characters i'd still have fun sailing around exploring, maybe do a FOY before the wipe but as it stands my wife and i don't feel like playing at all. losing what other ppl could take over every day is one thing...the char is just MEH. they want to rework the claim system...might like it or not but wiping chars is totally unnecessary for this.

Edited by Xenom
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Masi said:

They actually can and there are 2 very good reasons why they should. In the first version of the Power Stones only one player needed to kill the boss to obtain the key as it would reappear in his inventory every time he died.This meant you could die as many as times as you needed to in order to complete that power stone. This also had the added effect of allowing your friends and the rest of your company to easily do it with minimal effort.

The second reason is that in one of the patches they briefly upped the points for discoveries to 3 day for a day before reverting it. Anyone that discovered stuff in that time ended up with bonus points which were not removed.

Edited by Bullet Force
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Xenom said:

very mature 🙂

Thank you.

But yes, it is a real difference to take part in an early access game compared to a released game. I think this is not really clear to everybody who bought the game. Hence the frustration.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Masi said:

Setting aside the absurdity of someone having over 1000 hours in a game thats only been out for 2 months.....

Did you really think your toon would make it to release? If nothing else it was a temporary situatuon to begin with as this is EA.

Ffs was the EA part not marked clearly? So many people are all about this being a real game thats live. Just not the case. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Xenom said:

a lot of ppl had the impression there won't be wipes

Why would you ever think this about an Early Access title?

5 hours ago, Xenom said:

wiping chars is totally unnecessary for this.

Good thing the wipe isn't ONLY about the claim system, then.

5 hours ago, Masi said:

I have 840 hours in the game (not 1000+ though) and I'll be staying, so I must be in the half that you're not talking about. Maybe I was away the day they asked everyone if they were staying or leaving? Or maybe I just wasn't asked because I'm not over that 1000 hour mark? Either way, I'll just stand over here next to everyone else that's staying. 🙂

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

Setting aside the absurdity of someone having over 1000 hours in a game thats only been out for 2 months.....

Did you really think your toon would make it to release? If nothing else it was a temporary situatuon to begin with as this is EA.

Ffs was the EA part not marked clearly? So many people are all about this being a real game thats live. Just not the case. 

Game launch December 22.

Number of days since launch til now: 69

69 x 24= 1656 hours. Give or take.

If you have spent more than two thirds of the time since launch playing this game, please stop playing and seek medical assistance for addiction. I'm not even joking. If you're just engaging in hyperbole to try to make your weak argument seem stronger, you just got called on it. Either way, Chuck is right.

• Like 4

Well, you can't blame folks for being upset about a complete wipe, Although this is EA complete wipes are not exactly mentioned from the beginning. But as was argued in week one, EA does Infer that there is an actual playable game. They missed the mark on that one as well for a good many people for at least a week.

If more bugs were resolved, maybe some early to mid game content to give us something new while we started from scratch again, Instead of gated end game content, and the pve claim fix didn't have the potential to be more problematic then the original build, just maybe the wipe would be easier to understand.

I understand the game was taking a nose dive prior to the wipe announcement,  but that isn't necessarily the claim system fault entirely. Some can be attributed to the loss of faith in the developers. 

The less then stellar launch has been documented, inability to meet deadlines has become a joke, lack of communication has been brought up repeatedly on the forums. And apparent lack of thought behind changes in game mechanics in various patches has been the subject of many post throughout the forums.

Which leads us back to where we are. I personally am not convinced this claim fix is the way to go for pve. And the devs have really not done much to bother selling it to me either. Which leads me to believe that they either don't care what I the paying customer thinks, or they don't have a lot of confidence in it themselves. 

So we will have the big update, and the wipe. A lott of the existing bugs will still be there. With some luck the test server will filter out additional game breaking bugs, which in turn will cause more delays, after they've already announced the wipe. Which was another poor decisions on thier part. At least wait till you've got a semi polished patch on the test server before you deflate half the remaining player base..

In a world full of game titles much more polished then this, this company should do a better job of getting, and keeping thier ducks in a row, or they deserve all the negative reviews and forum haters they currently have. And in my opinion those of you who disagree do so based on the vision of a game that might be. I hope you are right, I would like to play that game one day to. Hopefully it come before interstellar travel. Heard they have some good theories on that too

17 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

Well, you can't blame folks for being upset about a complete wipe, Although this is EA complete wipes are not exactly mentioned from the beginning.

/facepalm...

The fact that it's EARLY ACCESS is the warning that you could lose everything as things change.

18 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

But as was argued in week one, EA does Infer that there is an actual playable game. They missed the mark on that one as well for a good many people for at least a week.

During the EA launch week, they had some issues.  The game was more popular than they were expecting (a mistake on their part).

20 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

I understand the game was taking a nose dive prior to the wipe announcement,  but that isn't necessarily the claim system fault entirely. Some can be attributed to the loss of faith in the developers. 

The lack of action against griefers is a huge reason for both players leaving and the loss of faith in the devs.  And rightfully so.  Jat's statement saying they are too short staffed to deal with both development and policing the dbags didn't help.  I get where he's coming from, but that didn't go over well.

41 minutes ago, CazzT said:

/facepalm...

The fact that it's EARLY ACCESS is the warning that you could lose everything as things change.

During the EA launch week, they had some issues.  The game was more popular than they were expecting (a mistake on their part).

The lack of action against griefers is a huge reason for both players leaving and the loss of faith in the devs.  And rightfully so.  Jat's statement saying they are too short staffed to deal with both development and policing the dbags didn't help.  I get where he's coming from, but that didn't go over well.

Can't tell if you are helping make my case or arguing against it. But EA doesn't necessarily infer complete progression wipe. As has been discussed before the company's own flagship title made it all the way through EA to full release without a wipe. And since a lot of folks have come from ARK, you could reasonably understand thier expectations of Atlas doing the same.

And the lack of preparedness for the numbers at launch were just part of the issue. The entire launch was handled ineptly. Surprise launch followed by delay, followed by massive connection issues.

And they did tackle the griefing issues from a coding side of things as opposed to in game policing. Which is something I agreed with. But once again hurried and half thought out fixes tended to cause even more issues for player, and often introduced more ways to grief.

You have all that, and a long list of bugs that still exist from release, some almost insignificant, others a real pain in the neck from a progression grind point of view. Many of which have not been addressed in upcoming patch notes. And the new claim system that many folks really don't think much of for various reasons depending on who you ask. 

You have to be all but blind to not see why folks might be ready to jump ship.

6 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

EA doesn't necessarily infer complete progression wipe.

It infers that things can be wiped.  Well, it does if you have even the most basic understanding of development.

7 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

As has been discussed before the company's own flagship title made it all the way through EA to full release without a wipe. And since a lot of folks have come from ARK, you could reasonably understand thier expectations of Atlas doing the same.

And as has also been pointed out in those same discussions, ARK and Atlas are two different beasts when it comes to servers.  ARK is a single server per world, doesn't have a claim system, doesn't have a vitamin system, doesn't have ships.... But hey, since the first game, with far less complicated features only did a single wipe, why should Atlas do one?  I hope I don't have to elaborate further on comparing them like this is dumb.

9 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

And they did tackle the griefing issues from a coding side of things as opposed to in game policing.

The pillar/foundation/gate/ship spam says otherwise.  And I'm not referring to the spam for the purposes of holding land.  This wasn't even in response to a change the devs made.

11 minutes ago, Huck Finnley said:

You have to be all but blind to not see why folks might be ready to jump ship.

Where did I say I didn't understand why people would leave?  It's the people spazzing and sperging about the wipe, acting like the game has been in post-launch for a year, that need to learn what Early Access is.  If I didn't know better, I'd say you're using a red herring.

I love Early Access games, almost every single one wiped in some form or another. I don't remember needing to wipe my ark toon but that is an exception. Look at ea titles like minecraft, factorio, KSP, list too long to go on. 

Starting over on a game that is in development is the case almost all the time regardless of how much time you put into "that" play through.

Secondly the game as it stands was a horrible start. I had land. I had tames. I saw tons of people just looking for somewhere to build. The wipe was the only way to fix this. If it was the case that they just wiped the land and everyone needed to respawn somewhere. There would be just as many people complaining how much time was spent as I did defending my land in the beginning. All of that time is lost for me.

Conclusion: if and it's a big if the new system works better then it's worth the wipe. I quit playing weeks ago due to it feeling more like a job. Me like many others will only return when this changes.

Truth is that they lost more players than they have, if you quit because of the wipe they may gain 5 in your place by having a better system

3 hours ago, CazzT said:

Early access means beta development stage, this barely an alpha plus.

The land claim and island addition should have been thought of and fixed prior to general early access release.

Edited by phelysarrian

I get that people don’t want to wipe their characters. But it’s also because of the new players they’re doing this. Maybe some will return that stopped playing long ago, meaning they have an enormous disadvantage. 

11 hours ago, Masi said:

Yes they can it's a game in early development.. there will probably be many wipes to come.

Especially when there are major changes as they will want to test every system from the ground up.

If you don't like the idea of that then wait until the game is finished. 

38 minutes ago, phelysarrian said:

The land claim and island addition should have been thought of and fixed prior to general early access release.

Clearly you have no idea what an alpha is. 

This is exactly what early access is about and also early access does not specify at what point of development s game is in it's just a way for a company to help fund their game and allow players in early to help test.

They can, and you agreed they can! That you didnt read it is ...ya...your fault. 

there are enough...by far enough...indicators that the Gamestate is very "unsafe" and they where all public.

Sure it sucks but on the other side...its a bit thrilling too.

12 hours ago, Masi said:

No, please wipe them.

Not everyone got to zerg the powestones when keys were limitless.

2 hours ago, phelysarrian said:

EA is usually either alpha or paid alpha. You think it like it’s Origin’s early access. But that definitely isn’t. And since they said ARK was alpha, then I suggest this one is too. 

i think most just didn't really expect a wipe myself included, i personally thought that they might wipe structures sooner or later when they might do a world rework but wiping all for no real reason well, didn't expect it (and just to have new players even with those playing is no reason sry , this has to work later on also and nothing changed in that matter :P)...not because EA games don't do that but because they didn't do it in ark. i also think that is the reason why a lot put so many hours in the game already and a lot would not have if they knew.

with the future wipes basically announced i doubt atlas will maintain as many ppl overall after the "patch spike" and also those that keep playing will play a lot less than before which is kinda sad as it was super fun until now. sure the server was not full but every grid was active...there were a lot of islands looking for new companies joining the island communities and it was looking like a good foundation to grow the game on (at least on pvp, can't tell for pve).

so i for one would have tried to keep the ppl that stayed and get the rest back with good patches and not risk making those that liked the game leave over a wipe for a chance to get those back that only stayed briefly...the game won't be perfect after this patch either ^^

Just now, Xenom said:

i think most just didn't really expect a wipe myself included, i personally thought that they might wipe structures sooner or later when they might do a world rework but wiping all for no real reason well, didn't expect it (and just to have new players even with those playing is no reason sry , this has to work later on also and nothing changed in that matter :P)...not because EA games don't do that but because they didn't do it in ark. i also think that is the reason why a lot put so many hours in the game already and a lot would not have if they knew.

with the future wipes basically announced i doubt atlas will maintain as many ppl overall after the "patch spike" and also those that keep playing will play a lot less than before which is kinda sad as it was super fun until now. sure the server was not full but every grid was active...there were a lot of islands looking for new companies joining the island communities and it was looking like a good foundation to grow the game on (at least on pvp, can't tell for pve).

so i for one would have tried to keep the ppl that stayed and get the rest back with good patches and not risk making those that liked the game leave over a wipe for a chance to get those back that only stayed briefly...the game won't be perfect after this patch either ^^

Well.. without reason.. they’re editing the entire map. I find that to be a good reason right. 

6 hours ago, Percieval said:

Well.. without reason.. they’re editing the entire map. I find that to be a good reason right. 

that would be a reason for a structure wipe not characters, like i said in my prior post - it's just unneeded to wipe everything like they do, that's more lazy than really needed. moreover they are not revamping the old islands but just add new ones but whatever no point in arguing about this i guess ^^

The character wipe is a problem. Alot of the people i played with and loved the game get no reward for their time spent and helping making the game better. Instead it feels like a kick in the face when you announce all we get is a useless cosmetic. Maybe reset everyone to level 1, but losing all discoveries is what most people i know (and myself) made instant quit. There will be quite a few people that wont come back for content Patch at 20. March, which i highly doubt is gonna happen without several gamebreaking bugs.

If you seriously think a stupid cosmetic is enough for the Playerbase that was playing on official networks, you are out of your mind. For now some people fooling around on official since it is 6times and anarchy but that wont last for 3 weeks. 

Edited by arc_88
  • Like 1