Sign in to follow this  
carnnage

Lag Spike caused by Redis, I need help

I thought it was an autosave function but I went in and turned that up to every 2 hours in the gamesettings.ini. I also adjusted the redis backup time but still every 10 minutes I get severe lag.  It last about 20-30 seconds but for those second we can move around freely only we cannot open anything or do anything that effects the world.  The world continues to run because we were fight a ship of the damn and it we were doing fine, lag spike hit and then when ti was over the SOD had sunk us.  

It isn't the internet, the fiber connection never lost speed.  I am running a 3x3 on a poweredge 12 core 128 ram bare.  It only runs this server.  Is there a log file I can look at to better figure out what the problem is?  Any help would be great.

Edited by carnnage

After much trail and error I have determined it has to be the redis backing up.  I can match the lag spikes with the time stamp on the redis dump file.  Any idea what could be causing this or how I can track down what exactly is causing the lag?

8 hours ago, carnnage said:

After much trail and error I have determined it has to be the redis backing up.  I can match the lag spikes with the time stamp on the redis dump file.  Any idea what could be causing this or how I can track down what exactly is causing the lag?

How are your backups working, are you using volume shadow copy or direct file backup? If it's the latter then i'd guess the lag is the delay in which it locks the file while it's backing up. With either option it's also worth checking your disk utilisation during the backup, quite often it can be as simple as maxing out the I/O which will cause a delay. If your backup software can be limited in I/O that would be best, but also lowering the backup process to a lower CPU priority can also help. (below normal)

I didn't change any of the redis settings other than the ip and password.  That make complete sense, my next option was going to be to set it to save once every 24 hours(which I did not want to do).  It has to be direct file backup.  I will have to read up on how to make it so it does shadow copy.  I did already try both lower and higher CPU priority with no difference.  I never looked at disk utilization because I am using a ssd and never thought of that.  Thanks that gives me something to start with.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:49 AM, carnnage said:

I didn't change any of the redis settings other than the ip and password.  That make complete sense, my next option was going to be to set it to save once every 24 hours(which I did not want to do).  It has to be direct file backup.  I will have to read up on how to make it so it does shadow copy.  I did already try both lower and higher CPU priority with no difference.  I never looked at disk utilization because I am using a ssd and never thought of that.  Thanks that gives me something to start with.

Hello Carnnage,

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am having the same issue and I am no where near disk usage limits, I have 2 evo ssds in striped raid. I have 2 x x5670 CPUs and 144gb of ram. I am only running a 3x3 grid and when redis saves my memory usage goes from about 32gb up to 60gb-70gb and I sometimes getting lag spikes over a minute. If shadow drive will help and anyone can guide me through doing it, please let me know. Im using windows 10 Pro.

spike 1.jpg

Edited by MiniZuul
Wrong system info

So no one else has run into this problem? It seems to get worse and the memory usage gets worse also even if I restart.

It was my map.  I created a map from scratch and had zero issues until I took the server down two weeks ago in prep for the big patch.  I have had 30+ people on and never had a single person.  Redis was never the problem.  Don't use other people's maps make your own.   

On 4/12/2019 at 10:36 AM, carnnage said:

It was my map.  I created a map from scratch and had zero issues until I took the server down two weeks ago in prep for the big patch.  I have had 30+ people on and never had a single person.  Redis was never the problem.  Don't use other people's maps make your own.   

Thank you for the response, after the mega update I no longer get the lag spikes. I guess it makes sense, the lag started after i downloaded a patch.