Sign in to follow this  
gumbyc

DEV's threw PVE under the bus

Unfortunately this applies to PVP also. The so called redo of the claim system still seems unfair. In PVP one player or company claims the entire island, and others are held hostage by that player or company and the ranking system. Required to pay into the island they don't own, and the owners can "freely damage characters and structures on the island" . Not sure how that will work if they only want their buddies on the island. If any spamming goes on, the settlement owner gets to decide what to do.

On the PVE side, we are back to the "lets fill the island with foundations so no one else can build" scenario. At least we had a chance at our own space before. Now it appears it's going to be all like lawless, decay timers and all. Granted I don't know how the "new auto-repair structure" is going to work. If somebody knows, please tell me. How is that going to prevent players from laying foundations everywhere to prevent players from building or expanding their bases ?

I acknowledge I don't know a lot about what's going to happen, and I'm most likely not alone in that. I also believe thing are subject to change based on the PTR play goes. Such a big change and so many questions. Lets plan for the worst and hope for the best.

• Haha 1

In PVP the settlers could try to remove the owner of the island. I do not see, why they have to be hostages of the owner?

It’s not even out yet. You’re speculating hard dude. Also it’s just a game so chill. Things will change again and again. 

We’ve seen enough of these threads (like 4 a day now) they always come to the conclusion that the devs haven’t really even said much about pve yet. Nothing bad is permenant. 

Stop being basic. If you don’t like it then put the game down for a bit and keep breathing. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ben de Witt said:

In PVP the settlers could try to remove the owner of the island. I do not see, why they have to be hostages of the owner?

Like the new PvP change but I bit concerned about the remove option to. If the landowner needs more room to build and it happens that I am his neighbor he can wipe me. If he doesn't like me wipe, he hate my building style wipe, he enforce stupid rules and I do not like it wipe.  Mostly the others are small groups and will not help and think shellfish " I'm save if I say something I may be next" 

PvP is going the right direction and maybe I'm going to PvP instead of pve, but this is a concern for me.

Pve I have hard time to see if it going to be right. Depends totally on upkeep cost and decaying time on pillar/foundation spam. 

But first I need to survive the 3 weeks before wipe. Not playing till wipe. Hope for them that I do not find another interesting game till then.

4 minutes ago, awakatanka said:

Pve I have hard time to see if it going to be right. Depends totally on upkeep cost and decaying time on pillar/foundation spam. 

Agree. That are all open questions, and we will provide the answers in the coming month. I think, that is the purpose of us taking part in the developement of the game.

5 minutes ago, awakatanka said:

But first I need to survive the 3 weeks before wipe. Not playing till wipe. Hope for them that I do not find another interesting game till then.

I am not playing either. But I am excited about the prospect of a new start after the wipe.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ben de Witt said:

Agree. That are all open questions, and we will provide the answers in the coming month. I think, that is the purpose of us taking part in the developement of the game.

I am not playing either. But I am excited about the prospect of a new start after the wipe.

The Start itself might be interresting, i agree on that. But if it ends in the same Bugfest like before, with gamebraking glitches, duping, hacking and bad Gamedesign with no Content then there isn't much fun left after 3-4 Weeks.

Lets see how the Puplic Test Realm will be, if they fuck up allready and delay the Patch another 3 Weeks there won't be much People left playing this Game (PVE at least).

Solo-Players Heaven... a whole Island for everyone.

I get it that PVP is totally different and might still be fun.

36 minutes ago, Luck0r said:

The Start itself might be interresting, i agree on that. But if it ends in the same Bugfest like before, with gamebraking glitches, duping, hacking and bad Gamedesign with no Content then there isn't much fun left after 3-4 Weeks.

Everything can be done better. But bugs and failure of planned systems will emerge all the time during early access, and rightly so. It is the time to try things out and to see, how players react (and adapt) to planned systems and features. Previous to the start of the early access phase, the developers only had their experience as successors of ARK, some rough ideas and a few prototypes on closed test servers. Maybe it should be put much more emphasize in the marketing of early access games, that the state of the game is rough and in open development.

2 hours ago, Ben de Witt said:

Everything can be done better. But bugs and failure of planned systems will emerge all the time during early access, and rightly so. It is the time to try things out and to see, how players react (and adapt) to planned systems and features. Previous to the start of the early access phase, the developers only had their experience as successors of ARK, some rough ideas and a few prototypes on closed test servers. Maybe it should be put much more emphasize in the marketing of early access games, that the state of the game is rough and in open development.

EA is not an excuse for everything. Its EA, not an Alpha. Ark has not had so much Problems during first Year of EA (I had 1000 Hours during this Time) and Developers should learn from their mistakes, not produce even more in the next Game.

And by telling everyone its EA, its supposed to be total chaos, you are not helping anyone. Not the Game, not the Developers, not yourself.

4 hours ago, awakatanka said:

Like the new PvP change but I bit concerned about the remove option to. If the landowner needs more room to build and it happens that I am his neighbor he can wipe me. If he doesn't like me wipe, he hate my building style wipe, he enforce stupid rules and I do not like it wipe.  Mostly the others are small groups and will not help and think shellfish " I'm save if I say something I may be next" 

PvP is going the right direction and maybe I'm going to PvP instead of pve, but this is a concern for me.

Aren't you limited to 1 claim per island? He can but then you can duke it out up to his claim.

26 minutes ago, Luck0r said:

EA is not an excuse for everything. Its EA, not an Alpha. Ark has not had so much Problems during first Year of EA (I had 1000 Hours during this Time) and Developers should learn from their mistakes, not produce even more in the next Game.

And by telling everyone its EA, its supposed to be total chaos, you are not helping anyone. Not the Game, not the Developers, not yourself.

I try really hard not to be salty and be as even handed as possible, but the one pre launch comment I refuse to let go is "We learned so many lessons from Ark" when what Atlas seems like so far to me is more along the lines of "We learned almost nothing from Ark. Please enjoy an encore of some of our worst design choices."

And yet, I'm still playing, so they're doing *something* right. I'll just be damned if I can put my finger on what it is.  I never got overly excited about dinosaurs, but played 4k hours of Ark. Pirates and sailing are okay I guess, but not something I get super excited about, yet here I am.

I don't play pvp, but it seems like they are getting the worst of it with these flag changes. That's because I have NO desire to live under someone else's flag. Small companies/solo players will have it the roughest with this change. I could be wrong, we'll see how it goes after the patch drops....well I won't, pvp players will. 🙂

For pve I think the changes are good. Although I will miss the claim flags and think they really need to come back at some point, the repair structure sounds like a good solution to controlling abandoned bases and pillar spam. I'm assuming that they will have a certain radius or AOE for repairing structures. People will not only have to login to refresh timers, but will have to visit each of their repair structures and fill them up. This SHOULD help to control pillar spam....again, only time will tell.

The number of claims a player or company could have as stated by the Dev's is "possibly 20". Does that mean if they have the resources they could claim 20 islands ?  Top ten companies, 20 islands each = 200 islands. Not plausible but possible. Where are the checks for the megs companies.