Sign in to follow this  
Winter Thorne

Say hello to your new claim

We had a conversation in another thread about what it's like to live on Lawless, what the space buffer was like, etc.  We were also guessing about how much space the additional islands would add...stuff like that.  Some people actually didn't have bad experiences in Lawless.  They had good neighbors, plenty of room to build, sensible rules.  Here's what my place in Lawless was like.

38qBahm.png

I put that foundation in front roughly where the corner of my house used to be. (My raft and storage box were still there behind me)  That foundation is as close as you can get to the foundations near the rocks ahead of me that belong to someone else. The distance between them is @ 4 tiles.  So the build radius keeps "your space" clear roughly to those rocks there.

Here's a longer range shot just to show you what the place looks like overall.

gZz7Ptx.png

It's pretty much foundations as far as the eye can see now.  The person who put them all down isn't building there.  They have a big base built up on another part of the island.  They just don't want anyone else building there.  About half those foundations used to be a wide variety of buildings -  from a small cat-carrier sized stone box to a large take-your-elephant-to-work day stone box.  A lot of them had huge thatch walls between them and there were lots of crazy stair to nowhere things going on.  They were about as close to each other as the foundations you see there now.

Oh yeah, we were livin' the dream back in those days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow brings back fond memories of lawless except my base was sat in the middle of a cluster of 5 taming boxes. I did eventually take them all down but a new ones would pop up constantly despite the fact we had a public one.

Tbh part of me really wants the game to succeed and I see claim flags being very important for that to happen, the other side wants to a see another stream with Jat saying in his monotone voice 'we've listened to the community and we're going ahead with removing claims in PVE'

I'll get to play a real pirate and just go round griefing large companies all day long with pillars and foundation. Its not as if I can get banned for it, wonder how much gold someone would pay to have another company harassed for a few weeks?... 😉 

• Haha 1

Just like companies like Captain Jack Sparrow and Black Beard who have foundations down like that as far as the eye can see.

I didn't have that problem, i had nice neighbours and helped them out on my island. I would like to hope that people had more sense and find a spot and be nice but yes that doesn't always happen.

I have the feeling things will either change before wipe or they will try it out first before changing with the unhappy people.

If they give people 1 or 2 flags fine but I really hope they don't go back to how it was in spamming flags down again, I can live with 1 or 2 flags if that's what the people want as a system.

Is that honestly the foundation aura on lawless?  Because I swear I was hitting the foundation aura on my claim on a normal island at triple or quadruple that distance when I was checking before.

I wonder if the "Enemy Foundation" aura changes depending on the island type?  Since Lawless is not meant for you to have a permanent base on and is supposed to be for a springboard point if you lose your previous base or just traveled from the Freeport, then the aura radius is reduced from normal to a more restricted version.

48 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Is that honestly the foundation aura on lawless?  Because I swear I was hitting the foundation aura on my claim on a normal island at triple or quadruple that distance when I was checking before.

I wonder if the "Enemy Foundation" aura changes depending on the island type?  Since Lawless is not meant for you to have a permanent base on and is supposed to be for a springboard point if you lose your previous base or just traveled from the Freeport, then the aura radius is reduced from normal to a more restricted version.

That is really the foundation aura, but I don't know about the rest.  A few posts yesterday got me wondering if it was even the same on the NA pve as the EU pve.  I guess I should say that this is the NA pve server.

Arrrrrrrrrr-k at its best.. I was lucky with my lawless island and my Co had a small cliff-side area to build from. We only had one pillar spaming co near us.. they spammed a pillar right at the base of my house that stops me from building stairs up to it as i live on top of rocks. The only place left to build.

Hey, if you're able to gather the resources necessary to keep an entire island's foundation spam repaired, go for it.  If you keep that up for months on end, kudos.  Meanwhile....the rest of us will be enjoying doing something other than Foundation Upkeep Simulator.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CazzT said:

Hey, if you're able to gather the resources necessary to keep an entire island's foundation spam repaired, go for it.  If you keep that up for months on end, kudos.  Meanwhile....the rest of us will be enjoying doing something other than Foundation Upkeep Simulator.

You do realise that task is a lot easier than it sounds. You can create a Galleon with tames in about a day, if you put those resources in a repair box instead I wonder how long they'd keep a 200+ foundations repaired.

Assuming they don't add a huge cost to maintaining foundations ect but that would be a different problem entirely.

Edited by LoneXS

They seem to be saying upkeep will take care of this?

What I'm imagining is something like a lone foundation would poof ridiculously fast, or maybe have no aura itself at all.  I'm sure there are ways they can use what they're introducing to combat this at least a little bit.

It's not like this isn't foreseeable.  Hopefully my faith isn't misplaced but I'm (extremely) cautiously optimistic they've given this more than a fleeting thought.

7 minutes ago, Kveldulf said:

They seem to be saying upkeep will take care of this?

What I'm imagining is something like a lone foundation would poof ridiculously fast, or maybe have no aura itself at all.  I'm sure there are ways they can use what they're introducing to combat this at least a little bit.

It's not like this isn't foreseeable.  Hopefully my faith isn't misplaced but I'm (extremely) cautiously optimistic they've given this more than a fleeting thought.

players will always find ways to keep the timers good without decay rate to increase . I remember when they changed the timer on ark for pillars 🙂 after 3 hours u saw pillars with ceilings on top and still was on original timer 🙂 . they cant really stop those kind of things … Like I said there will always be a way to keep ur timers good and for upkeep should be that hard...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hiddenftw said:

players will always find ways to keep the timers good without decay rate to increase . I remember when they changed the timer on ark for pillars 🙂 after 3 hours u saw pillars with ceilings on top and still was on original timer 🙂 . they cant really stop those kind of things … Like I said there will always be a way to keep ur timers good and for upkeep should be that hard...

Yeah, no doubt.  To a certain extent it becomes a question of how much pain in the backside is really worth it?  I'd hate to just throw up my hands and figure we're doomed though.  Again, hopefully they have a plan of some sorts that I don't know about yet.

Just now, Kveldulf said:

Yeah, no doubt.  To a certain extent it becomes a question of how much pain in the backside is really worth it?  I'd hate to just throw up my hands and figure we're doomed though.  Again, hopefully they have a plan of some sorts that I don't know about yet.

as i know the pve players and what i saw the flag spam and foundation spam in lawless i must say after wipe doesnt look that good if u are not fast to take what i want . probably u will need to go again on lawless ^^

The problem is that if you jack up the upkeep to really high levels, it's going to hurt the solo/small companies, which is who they're trying to help.  If you don't, then spamming will be an issue.  If a single foundation decays faster, people will use two.

Keep in mind, if you're a decent non-griefer player, the first thing you really want to do when you find your spot of land is mark off the boundaries or the next day when you come in to build your wonderful taming pen, you'll find someone has built a big stone box right on top of your spot.  Or if you've got a decent space and everything built and a jerk moves onto your island and tries blocking the good resources, you're going to have to spam something around them to keep them being blocked, and maybe safeguard some other areas as well.

Without regular claims, everything gets really tricky.

4 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

The problem is that if you jack up the upkeep to really high levels, it's going to hurt the solo/small companies, which is who they're trying to help.  If you don't, then spamming will be an issue.  If a single foundation decays faster, people will use two.

Keep in mind, if you're a decent non-griefer player, the first thing you really want to do when you find your spot of land is mark off the boundaries or the next day when you come in to build your wonderful taming pen, you'll find someone has built a big stone box right on top of your spot.  Or if you've got a decent space and everything built and a jerk moves onto your island and tries blocking the good resources, you're going to have to spam something around them to keep them being blocked, and maybe safeguard some other areas as well.

Without regular claims, everything gets really tricky.

because is only 1 server and u cant really know wich players stop by at ur islands yea those things can happen 🙂 u might never see that guy he just come for reset to troll everyone else on that island . isn't like u say a lot of douchebags at this server Ill just hop on and find another one na doesn't work like that in atlas sadly .

Edited by hiddenftw

Does not matter how high or low the upkeep setting is, it is very likely any griefers foundations will always be less quantity of objects than your base.  Your base will always have higher upkeep than the griefers foundations, so the troll will always win the repair fight.

I really want to believe they have figured out a method to stop spamming of pillar and foundation but with their track recorder, I'm not really having much faith. How do you make spamming so costly that big companies can't do it without crippling the little guys?  I just don't see a mean to stop this behavior, that why I like the claim system was better but they need to simply limit the number of claim per company. The only other idea I had was limit the number of upkeep boxes, this would work similar to the claim system but allow a little more flexibility and avoid the problem of flags blocking or overlapping each other. I've been starting to wonder if maybe why they dropped the flag in PVE and are going to one claim per island in PVP is because they weren't able to figure out how to fix the bugs like overlapping and exploits caused by the flag system. I really do hope they increase the radius around structures, maybe the larger or the more concentrated amount of structure like dock, crafting stations, etc. in an area the bigger the buffer is because I've had people spam stuff in the middle of my little area and this is why I start pillaring off my own little area. Of course, I didn't pillar an entire island, but I did work with other people on my island to stop a mega group who was walling off half an island from taking more land. Also, large gates should cost a lot to upkeep to avoid everyone spamming them and trying to wall everyone out.

The auto-repair structure will probably only work as an aura effect like a feeding trough, so the upkeep of materials for the griefer isn't the materials but the time he'd have to expend running around and repairing each individual pillar/foundation.

I do like the concept though that the decay rate of structures is accelerated for individual structures and then increased (to a limit) for every new structure attached to the first.  So like a single foundation or pillar will decay and pop in 4 hours, but an actual base's decay rate is a couple days unless the upkeep is paid or the auto-repair structure is filled.

The major concern that I have for the Dev's attention is how will the upkeep be controlled?  Like if I have two 5x5 bases with auto-repair structures, one base is stone and the other is thatch.  Is there an inventory limit to the auto-repair structure so I can't overload it and keep the bases repaired for the next 3 years and if I do fill it in both bases will the auto-repair structure run out of fuel or materials at identical times?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Archsenex said:

I've never understood why decay rates weren't tied to contiguous attachment

You would prefer the trolls build sidewalks that block you in instead of pillars?

19 hours ago, LoneXS said:

You do realise that task is a lot easier than it sounds. You can create a Galleon with tames in about a day, if you put those resources in a repair box instead I wonder how long they'd keep a 200+ foundations repaired.

Assuming they don't add a huge cost to maintaining foundations ect but that would be a different problem entirely.

You already know all the details of the decay rate and how much it would take to repair an entire island's foundations/pillars?  You should let Jat and the devs know what those rates are.  It would save them several weeks of deciding and testing.

16 hours ago, CazzT said:

You already know all the details of the decay rate and how much it would take to repair an entire island's foundations/pillars?  You should let Jat and the devs know what those rates are.  It would save them several weeks of deciding and testing.

Make it too high and you have just screwed your casual small company and solo players. Upkeep cannot solve the pillar spam without causing much larger issues.

Edited by Fefu

We live on D7 in PVE; it has 4 Islands, there is on Island up north that is basically owned by two companies who foundation/pillar spammed the whole thing. They have 1 building and seems they were doing a huge (lag)harbour but that's about it. 

I think that is a pretty asshole move, nobody needs that much land. 

• Like 1

or make a "starter" foundation everything is free that is part of that building

everything else gets a huge tax