Sign in to follow this  
DNAofDeath

Game's dead, nice try Grapeshot, gg wp

2 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Ever been wandering around a mega companies island and thought to yourself, wow that rock and tree look familiar. Or what about those stone builings? Look alot like pubg? Or various other games made with UR4?

UR4 engine is amazeballs. Have any of you looked into it? Its so good in fact that you dont even have to be an experienced professional to start putting a game together. With enough motivation and free time to youtube you can start building something in hours. Just use the prebuilt assest. That look so familiar...

This has one wondering, since I didnt play Ark.  Are there actuall trained developers building this? Or ...is this a B team of wannabes who would never get hired on at a bigger company due to lack of former training? Im talking about it being 2019 and we cant get 200 people on a server with no lag? Im talking we cant put in the work to make sure structures mesh together correctly? Im alking about how hard firm bans on cheaters and giving asia their own servers is mmo 101!

Again, so far im still a fan. But i wonder as some things are less than professional looking. I guess I compare them the Intrepid Studios team and the Rare team on my head. The ideas sound like they are there, but the communication, game plan and execution is not on par with thier peers yet. The major changes and scheduled ptr, wipe and patch are all moves in the right direction though.

-CS

You raise interesting questions. I don't begin to pretend to know anything but the layman's view of coding and the technical aspects of design. I know only what I have garnered from the YT channel Extra Credits, which I highly recommend, and 15 years of reading gaming forums and picking up nuggets from those with greater technical knowledge. Having said that after years of Ark my impression of this development team is their strength lies in coming up with innovative and compelling concepts. Their weakness lies in the execution of those ideas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben de Witt said:

I think we can settle our argument with your statement.

There is no guarantee, that the game will succeed, and that is not the prospect I hold. But I hope and wish, that it will succeed after 24 month of developing in an open early access process.

That is something we both hope for.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DNAofDeath said:

whats going on here isnt random at all, its predictably as fuck.

Methinks you don't know what "random" and "predictable" mean.

9 hours ago, DNAofDeath said:

I just listed facts.

You listed numbers and then pointed to those while panicking about the sky falling right before a massive change and wipe.  I've seen this song and dance more times than I count.  See you back in a couple months after hearing that the game is not only not dead, but is better than ever.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Ever been wandering around a mega companies island and thought to yourself, wow that rock and tree look familiar. Or what about those stone builings? Look alot like pubg? Or various other games made with UR4?

UR4 engine is amazeballs. Have any of you looked into it? Its so good in fact that you dont even have to be an experienced professional to start putting a game together. With enough motivation and free time to youtube you can start building something in hours. Just use the prebuilt assest. That look so familiar...

This has one wondering, since I didnt play Ark.  Are there actuall trained developers building this? Or ...is this a B team of wannabes who would never get hired on at a bigger company due to lack of former training? Im talking about it being 2019 and we cant get 200 people on a server with no lag? Im talking we cant put in the work to make sure structures mesh together correctly? Im alking about how hard firm bans on cheaters and giving asia their own servers is mmo 101!

Again, so far im still a fan. But i wonder as some things are less than professional looking. I guess I compare them the Intrepid Studios team and the Rare team on my head. The ideas sound like they are there, but the communication, game plan and execution is not on par with thier peers yet. The major changes and scheduled ptr, wipe and patch are all moves in the right direction though.

-CS

Nail on head...

I know this is not the direction the OP was going with this post but this is the root cause. It is not just this dev group, but it is the state of the gaming industry as a whole. Steam is littered with titles just like this. Pre-made engines like unreal and unity give people with very little  game development knowledge the ability to piece together stunningly beautiful landscapes and environments,  to bring in models or code snippets created by a 3rd party and sold piecemeal in the unity or unreal store. Steam gives these projects a platform to release to the public where the communities expect the game to be a gold released title during the development process. (Not including the entire community here... Most people get it and enjoy the game for what it is)

The limitations lie in many places depending upon the team but mostly imo in the engine itself. Most top developers build an engine from the ground up to suit the vision of the game. When it has great success they reuse the engine to spawn sequels of but of the same requirements of the original game or maybe reuse  parts of the engine and expand upon it for the next big title. That is part of why the really good games take so many years to be launched. You cant take an engine from a Honda Prelude and put it into a top fuel dragster and expect to win. Even with engine building experience  its still a Honda engine and can only be built to it's design limitations. Unity, Unreal, Torque etc... are like Honda engines,  built for everyone one to use and maybe tinker with,  generic enough to suits most any gaming genre. This is a large part of why you can not have a lag free server with more than 200 people. If  the unreal engine is capable of more then it is due to poor implementation and it must be across the board with indie developers because whether it was Unreal, Unity or torque so far I have not found a popular lag free MMO using any of these engines.

I am not downing the Devs in any way, they have still put together what I think is a cool and fun game. Can it be better? Absolutely but I know it is going to more take time and with unreal as the engine they are going to run into many hard coded walls to where it is easier to change the vision than it is to change the engine sadly. Do I think I could do better? Hell no its why I buy all my games and not make the ones I want to play.

As far as the game being dead I doubt it, however being released to the public in development like most all EA titles it has imo seen its prime before it ever had a chance to be completed. I could be wrong, I usually am but based upon all the other steam shovelware  out there it seems to be the norm. It may linger around for a few more years but it will never be an "Everquest" or  "Ultima Online" or "World of whinecraft" and should not ever be compared to such.

5 hours ago, WilliamGrayton said:

As far as the game being dead I doubt it, however being released to the public in development like most all EA titles it has imo seen its prime before it ever had a chance to be completed.

That could be true. Dayz Standalone is a good example for this phenomenon. Early access has its merits and disadvantages.

• Like 1

...the major question is: does anyone care what you predict? I guess (except of the 3 ppl talking to you) the answer is just: NOPE .

And whay is that? Because nobody cares about anothe crythread like years before and nothing will happen with the world if this game fails.

Believe me, life will go on. So be strong! Get your stuff together, stand up, wipe your tears away and move on. 

Edited by Apokh

8 hours ago, CazzT said:

Methinks you don't know what "random" and "predictable" mean.

You listed numbers and then pointed to those while panicking about the sky falling right before a massive change and wipe.  I've seen this song and dance more times than I count.  See you back in a couple months after hearing that the game is not only not dead, but is better than ever.

First of all i didnt panic, i can play other games when atlas finally died, im not married to this game.
Second: why see me back? I neither stopped playing the game, nor did i say so, nor will i leave the forums or sayd i will...

My first sentence, where i say i kinda like this game, was ignored by all reality/fact-resistant people here, trying to bash my "opinion" (no opinion here, just facts and some wild guesses).
Kinda funny how people always only see what they like to see and what matches their way of thinking lol

Edited by DNAofDeath

On 3/3/2019 at 2:32 AM, KarmaComa said:

Hehe, doosmday sayers are all around us, although i do see less naked men nowadays on the side of the road with cardboard cutouts saying "end of the world is near", I guess they all came here 😄

To the op, games always decline after launch because when a game launches, EVERYONE is on at the same time, then as time progresses, there playtime gets broken up making it seem like less players when in fact there is probably more, granted people leave for many reasons but right now the pop limit will be low because of our impending doom for the wipe, i can guarantee the player base will rise again after the wipe.

58k to 5k = dead (or will be soon) in 6 months. 

Don't forget they don't ban Chinese hackers (since now the parent company is Chinese) - I loved this game but alas. . .

you can sing happy folklore about this game all you wish.  Pet your furries or not statistics don't lie:

2019-05-31 (22).png

Edited by RogerRoger101
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RogerRoger101 said:

Don't forget they don't ban Chinese hackers (since now the parent company is Chinese) - I loved this game but alas. . .

you can sing happy folklore about this game all you wish.  Pet your furries or not statistics don't lie:

2019-05-31 (22).png

You loved the game but because less people are playing than you anticipated you don’t love it anymore is that the conclusion of all this? 

If I love a game I wouldn’t do what you do which is cry about stuff that (evidently) is not important to them neither to the 5000 people playing. But hopefully you will get some kind of statisfaction out of it. 

On 3/3/2019 at 9:08 AM, DNAofDeath said:

Dec. '19: Grapeshot announces the closing of official servers due to maintenance and upkeep cost exceed income from newly bought copies of the game by FAR and thus gives no profit

Won't matter.. the world ends on Sept 23rd 2019 anyway.. so we'll all be dead by then.  Except me.. I have a bunker.  In a mountain.  On the moon. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Won't matter.. the world ends on Sept 23rd 2019 anyway.. so we'll all be dead by then.  Except me.. I have a bunker.  In a mountain.  On the moon. 

that will be my 10th end of the world 🙂 

all can send money to may paypal before end ^^

3 hours ago, RogerRoger101 said:

Pet your furries or not statistics don't lie:

You must not be familiar with Mark Twain, since one of his better known quotations is this:

"There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."

8 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Can I has ur stuffz when you move to your moon mountain bunker?

• Haha 1

It kinda annoys me that they were giving the game away for free to their own people, but expected everyone else to pay for it.  But we have to live with the devil we know. And that's snail games.  A company that is so bad, that even in china, they think they're a joke.

I hate snails.. they're like pretentious slugs.

Edited by Martyn

4 hours ago, RogerRoger101 said:

2019-05-31 (22).png

And the reasons for it are:

- official endgame content  (subs, torpedos) is barred for smaller companies (unless they piggyback on larger companies)

-inability to accelerated travels on high seas to discovered locations

-lack of content or perks for vast majority of players who now left, that is solos and small companies on pvp official

-overall ease of raiding someone on pvp due to imbalance caused by vast level and hitpoints difference and overall weakness of passive defenses (unlike in ark, who is still very much alive)

Edited by gnihar